Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Wait, are they supposed to be a Roman/Byzantine type of thing? I'm not so sure, because the Lusitanians are mentioned to have attacked a nation that was also Manga Christian (Yaldabord?) and the Lusitanian kid decried that nation's "Eastern church", implying some sort of Great Schism. So it's "Maruyama" that is the Byzantine/Roman equivalent, I figure, and the Lusitanians are more like Franks/Western European/Catholic dudes.
Cool-looking series anyway, I never quite got into Silver Spoon though I might try again sometime, so it's nice to see a new series from Hiromu Arakawa and the Sassanid Persian vibes are awesome.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Sep 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah, I decided to give it a chance and it's pretty great so far, though Sei doesn't really interest me at all. There's just something Sasuke-y, melodramatic (the dumb sense of pain stuff), and unappealing about him compared to the awesome central protagonist (who reminds me of a young Guts from Berserk in a way), so I'm hoping the little lame flashback into the king's past I'm reading right now is over soon.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 29, 2013

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Finally caught up to Kingdom, loving it, though I find Renpa to be pretty overrated (probably the second lamest enemy next to Mr. "I belong in another more over the top, far less subtle action series with very poorly written characters" Houken). He got talked out of a battle. He's one of the rare characters in Kingdom to get defeated by Naruto-style friendship no jutsu. Usually Kingdom is too cutthroat and realistic and merciless for that sort of silly business.
Think back on all the opponents and generals they faced, Renpa is the only "Great General" to be argued out of a battle. Can you imagine that in any other instance? When an enemy general is able to convince you to give up using his words, you are not a very good general. Actually, the only opponents we actually for sure see Renpa beating are Young Gaku Jou (clearly not much of a feat) and some fellow Zhao General (who knows where that guy ranks among foreign generals).

It's funny because at least his poor puppet figurehead general (can't remember his name) died with some semblance of honor. He left the poor puppet behind to be executed because he got argued out of a battle, meanwhile the puppet general dies defiantly refusing to beg for his life before Kanki.
If you think about it, all of his aura and legends (which are all just him telling stories about that one time a Qin Great General defeated him) and charging around aside, it feels like the real talent to Renpa's faction was mostly Rinko. Once Rinko died, Renpa surrendered even when Kaishibou arrived on time to fulfill Rinko's role in the plan to kill Gaku Jou (one of my favorite generals now honestly, I love how in his earlier appearances his commanding style just appears to be muttering vague pleasantries to his officers and retiring for the night).
I mean, Rinko did pretty much take 99% of the Qin generals if I remember right. Renpa couldn't even beat Santa General in a duel to the death because he didn't have enough "burning emotions" I guess.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Nov 1, 2013

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Things are definitely getting exciting. Sorta feels like everyone in Qin has forgotten about the mountain queen lady and the united mountain tribes. They should hopefully be surging in and tearing poo poo up soon, weren't they supposed to be super ferocious and dangerous warriors and last time we checked the mountain queen lady had pretty much consolidated all of them under her banner?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
That's why I just treat Kingdom like some great fantasy manga, the latest chapters are getting pretty epic. I love the pace at which it's translated.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Munin posted:

There were several excellent set pieces but the overall battle doesn't quite hang together. It doesn't feel as if it is happening in the village but in a space the properties of which adjust to the need of the panel at hand. Where did all the artillery the villagers have come from anyway...
I was honestly surprised government troops? or whatever they were actually showed up, even if they were sorta late for it (not by much though). Didn't seem like the sort of setting where you could depend on some sort of more centralized outside backup showing up in uniforms to save you.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
More awesome chapters of Kingdom. I'm really spoiled by the update rate, it's crazy and seriously accentuates the entertainment factor for me.
Pretty cool new chapters too...My friend made the mistake of reminding me of the existence of Hou Ken though, god I hope that ridiculous DBZ character doesn't ever show up again. Especially given Riboku making some crazy move in the new chapters. I'd been hoping Hou Ken would disappear into the mountains forever but I seem to remember last we saw him he'd agreed to help when Kei Sha asked him, implying he's a confirmed permanent part of Riboku's arsenal now. I can't believe he actually ever existed, I remember it felt like he belonged in another series entirely (even with the Mountain Tribes and sword-dance Naruto ninja, he was an unbearable degree of bullshit).
Kingdom is over the top and ridiculous but I really hate the occasional pure-fantasy magic stuff like "Bushin" and "breath" that sneaks in. Some guy capable of solo-ing an entire army really kills the awesomeness and tension of generalship and dramatic battle maneuvers that forms the core of Kingdom's appeal, even the craziest most powerful generals never got as stupid as Hou Ken.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Feb 3, 2014

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
How much better would it honestly be if Ri Boku were the one to have killed Duke Hyou, rather than some DBZ crossover character. It'd also create more direct personal bitterness and vengeance between Shin and Ri Boku (and create an inner dilemma and maybe hesitation within Ri Boku in future clashes? He did have that internal thought of not wanting to be forced to "kill a child"). I remember it was hinted at that he was as much of a deadly warrior as he was a master tactician, better to have him directly kill a general as awesome and powerful as Duke Hyou or kill him with some clever sneaky battle tactic.
To make Naruto analogies, Hou Ken is basically our Sasuke, consistently defeating and maiming far more interesting and compelling characters than himself.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 10, 2014

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

trucutru posted:

Well, Shin has to grow into a general-level character and, since generals can destroy whole armies by themselves (but do not do sieges, no sir) in this manga then he has to start showing some serious power.
I dunno, I never got the "solo entire armies" ridiculousness except from Houken who I hate. Like yeah, Ouki's a god and so are the other great elite general characters but I always got the feeling that the only scenario where they'd be fighting an entire army by themselves would be some desperate charge and in the end someone would get a spear in and even Ouki would die off with dozens of spears in him after having slaughtered a shitload of people.
With Houken his modus operandi seems to be "fight whole army by himself" and it's even worse because it's not a sacrificial last stand when he's doing it. My memory may be poor but I swear during that fight against the Hi Shin Unit and Qin where he just showed up by himself in a solo night raid or something, wasn't his skin basically impervious to their blades or some bullshit? Even the great general characters never entered that level of lamenesss. During that battle you had the feeling that he could have just gone on and on destroying entire armies of Qin soldiers and it never felt like he was in any danger. Man I hate Houken.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Mar 20, 2014

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Munin posted:

So basically more like this:
“There Sir Geoffroi de Charny fought gallantly near the king. The whole press and cry of battle were upon him because he was carrying the king’s sovereign banner the Oriflamme. He also had before him his own banner, gules, three escutcheons argent. So many English and Gascons came around him from all sides that they cracked open the king’s battle formation and smashed it; there were so many English and Gascons that at least five of these men at arms attacked one [French] gentleman. Sir Geoffroi de Charny was killed with the banner of France in his hand, as other French banners fell to earth.”

The person who was deemed to be one of the finest knights of his day fell when the French were defeated at Poitiers.
Right, a great general could take down an army but you better believe he's going to fall dead at the end of that with dozens of bloody wounds. With Houken it's just what he does...
To make matters worse he's somehow consistently survived killing off characters far more interesting and awesome than he is, even considering the most extreme wounds he ever received it's pretty ridiculous. I'm gonna be glad once he's dead or permanently mountain hermit and this shadow is done looming over this manga, him showing up in one of the last few chapters made me nervous.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Pierson posted:

Handsome Squidward moved to ancient China and became a general.

Guess which.
Prince Handsome Squidward might legit be one of my favorite characters now.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Angry Lobster posted:

Now that Vinland Saga's badassery has been toned down (Thorkell, I miss you), Kingdom is my main supplier of :black101:
Toned down? More like toned UP. Farm life homie. :twisted:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Historie update. Eumenes continues being awesome.
Well, looks like I'm going to have to reread the entire series or something to get a grasp over who Charon was in the story and what he did. I just vaguely remember a bald slave tutor guy, the series updates so so so so slow that I've definitely forgotten 99% of the Eumenes childhood chapters.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Eiba posted:

It's released really slow. And even then half the art is unfinished sketches.

If I had found it after it was completed in the fixed up volume releases, it'd probably be my favorite manga out there. As it stands now... I've got a similar issue to that other fellow where I have no idea what the significance of the reveal at the end of the last chapter was. The whole thing is way too slow to keep me gripped the way it should.

That said, I already know it's going to be awesome a bunch of years from now when we can look back at it. It's a fantastic story.
Yeah, and the bummer with stuff like Historie (and to a far far more extreme degree, Berserk) is that they're so so so so so slow that rereading becomes useless too. Like I'll reread Historie and have a hell of a fun ride remembering stuff and remembering Charon, but I'm just going to end up having to reread it again in like six months when the next chapters come out.

At least Cesare isn't as much trouble for me because the new chapters that came out after months and months included the start of a new volume with one of those little manga recap blurbs and character reviews. Sengoku Youko (not historical of course) did this recently with one of its new chapters too.
And also with Cesare you have less random characters like a Charon that you might forget, in the sense that 90% of the characters are super well-known influential historical figures ("Why hello...Mister...Michelangelo was it?") as opposed to say 70% in Historie. Although I'm actually far more well-versed in the area of history Historie is touching on than I am with Cesare, it just feels like Historie is bound to have more Charons and Phoenixes and so on.

I can't remember if Historie does this at the start of new volumes, probably yes since it's a common manga thing, hopefully there's a new volume with a little recap or something soon. At least there's wiki.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historie#Main_characters

quote:

Charon
A slave in the Hieronymus household and Eumenes' personal attendant ("pedagogue" in the original sense of the word). He gives Eumenes an amulet that belongs to Eumenes' mother before the latter leaves Cardia. It is revealed in a flashback that he is, despite his denial to Eumenes, actually present in the incident of Eumenes' mother's death, and is in fact responsible for her downfall by holding young Eumenes hostage.
Yeah I don't remember any of that :v: Time for a reread.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

His expressions are the best part of the chapter.
Hah, I didn't even notice a single one. Now I'm going to have to keep my eye out for that bugeyed bugger.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Jackard posted:

Would you recommend any historical fiction/films about them?

The only comic I know of in that setting has Mongols as the villains:

Well, I mean, there's probably a reason for that. It's hard to paint Genghis Khan as anything other than one of the greatest butchers in human history, unless you're really nationalist Mongolian or a revisionist historian.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Zorak posted:

Dude killed an awful lot of people, yes. On the other hand: so did Julius Caeser, Alexander the Great, and any other number of ancient imperialists. They are definitely butchers, but that doesn't mean a degree of historical perspective isn't apropos.
This is totally a false equivalency though, you seem to be saying the scale of the slaughtering doesn't really matter. Like, I'd call Franco and Hitler both "murderous dictators" but clearly one of them was in the big leagues when it came to being a murderous dictator.
And yeah there's definitely more to Mongol history but being one of the worst things to ever happen to giant swathes of Asia is kind of a big deal. Like Sandman mentioned, there were areas in Iran, Afghanistan, and so on that took hundreds of years to recover their population if they did at all.
The man was one of the greatest brutal monsters in history and that remains regardless of the fact that he opened up new trade routes while devastating entire civilizations, or is a huge source of Mongol pride, or the fact that other murderous conquerors get less bad press (who, like I mentioned still didn't show brutality and massacre on the Khan's scale anyway except for Caesar and Gaul...but this is all irrelevant anyway since pointing this out changes nothing about Genghis).
Like, I'm pretty sure I'd have better odds of survival in a city under siege by Alexander the Great or the Nazi army than one under siege by the Mongol horde. I feel like he may be the worst thing to ever befall the Middle East, perhaps even more than the Crusades.
I mean, don't get me wrong, I find Genghis and the Mongols as a whole absolutely fascinating of course, I just think it's important not to lose sight of the fact that he was one of the greatest monsters of human history just because his victims go farther back than an event like the Holocaust.

In addition to the Mongol media already mentioned I'd also recommend the first film of Sergei Bodrov's planned Genghis biopic trilogy (which I have to assume at this point will never fully happen), Mongol and the series on the Mongol conquests that Dan Carlin did in the Hardcore History podcast (which can vary from good to lame depending on the topic).

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jun 2, 2014

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Zorak posted:

I do not see how Historie is going to get anywhere before the author dies. The rate of release is nowhere keeping pace with how long the story they appear to be attempting to tell is, unless the author uses judicious time skips.
It's a huge bummer too, since pound for pound it really is (at least to me) the best historical manga out there, at least when you read it in a full speedy run chapter by chapter without waiting. Once you catch up, you hit Berserk-level waiting but worse because unlike the beautiful Berserk spreads painstakingly drawn between dating sim games or whatever that dude does you get these sketchy chapters so few and far between that at least in my case I could barely remember a lot of characters or at least where the story was in the general momentum of the arc. Historie becomes a sketchy blur.
But that's why rereading it is really fun, I've been rediscovering it, it went in a lot of crazy awesome directions early on that I'd totally forgotten about (like a rampaging Scythian using a small girl as a human shield against archers)!

And what blows my mind is: we're not even at the coolest parts of the historical story! I'm not even talking about the glory of Alexander, the Wars of the Diadochi are a Games of Thrones-style epic except way better and with less rape (wait, nevermind, maybe...an equal amount. Depends on if you think Arrhidaeus can give consent!).
The thought of how awesome Historie is so early in Eumenes of Cardia's biography and epic tale makes for pretty promising thoughts, can you imagine how great a well-done adaptation of the saga of Alexander's successors would be? (I recommend everyone who hasn't go read Mary Renault's Alexander the Great trilogy: Fire from Heaven, The Persian Boy, and Funeral Games)

I'd be willing to combine Kentaro Miura and Hitoshi Iwaaki, sacrificing one of their ongoing series to make sure the other one actually gets finished before they die!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
New Historie.

It's going down. :jihad:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

achillesforever6 posted:

Goddamn that stupid loving snake on Alexander's face still bugs me.

Also I there is nothing better than an army of pikemen carrying sarissas.
Yeah, what's the deal with that anyway? Is that just a tattoo the manga-ka of Historie decided Alexander should have or just a nasty birthmark or something? I'm familiar with all the snake-themed stuff with Olympias and Alexander, but I don't ever remember people talking about a snake on his face. :v:
Gotta go get some laser surgery bruh.

Demosthenes and Chares were great though.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Reading the last weird chapter of Kingdom...
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Kingdom/Vol-037-Ch-403--The-Queen-Mother-s-Goal?id=208619
glancing down at the kissmanga comment section for some masochistic reason

quote:

MAS :3 DarkSilverSky • 3 days ago
i kinda want i kinda want to have sex with her coz i think she will satisfied me... huhuhuhuhut
have sex with her coz i think she will satisfied me... huhuhuhuhu
:lol:

That's the Queen Mother for you.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Alder posted:

Cesare: I don't remember where I stopped reading but does it any better? IIRC it got extremely melodramatic w/a love triangle? I did like the art but scanlations are on and off. Yes, free and all.
It's a fairly solid series. I don't remember a love triangle, but to be fair I've been reading it for a while with a slow update rate so there are probably entire plot points that I've faded away. The recent chapters have been decent, entertaining, fairly interesting, Cesare was never a "blow you away" series on par with Historie, Vagabond, Vinland Saga, but it's a fairly worthwhile historical manga overall.
I was initially put off by the visual style, which isn't my typical cup of tea, but the historical intrigue and drama kept me in.
I'd retain it all better if it updated faster, but to be fair that's the same story with most manga I'm following including Historie/Berserk/etc. I'll just have to reread these when they're done in 25 years. :hydrogen:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Considering the need for more awesome historical manga and a setting/story with this much potential, it's a pity how bland and generic Ad Astra feels. I guess there's that one little series set in Carthage that the manga-ka behind Historie did, maybe I'll finally give that a look.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
new chapter of Historie feels like Return of the King or something.
WATCH ALEXANDER LEAD HIS GHOST CAVALRY
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Historie/Historie-089?id=219798
is this that sort of thing where it doesn't get fully drawn until the actual volumes are released or something?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
What was the Byzantine Empire doing around this time anyway? Like does anyone have any idea who the Emperor would be around this saga's timeline?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Do they kind of lobby that certain series like Otoyomegatari stop getting updated by Kissmanga because of some angry scanlators or something? I've noticed it with a couple manga and it honestly kind of annoys me. Like tough poo poo, you're not really legally viewing the manga anyway, it's not like you own it either, you scanned and translated someone else's manga and added cute little bookends and said "PLZ BUY DIS AND SUPPORT ARTIST /\_/\" which is just a meaningless statement anyway.
I want all my manga series updated in one place dammit. It's hard to keep track of poo poo otherwise. :argh:
Not sure if Batoto has all of the same series as kissmanga or whatever, though I don't think I'm as big of a fan of the user interface (and series having just like, chapters of various languages thrown in in a big mulch).
Considering what's been going on with this last Otoyomegatari arc though, it doesn't really seem like I'm missing anything. I'm not sure I can keep reading this otaku-pandering boobcat arc without getting douchechills. It's not exactly a run of chapters I can take pages of and recommend to other friends into manga (HEY LOOK AT THIS CAT TOUCHING TIT!!!). Hopefully we're off to something else soon story-wise, I haven't caught up.

At least Vinland Saga and Vagabond have been majorly on point. Historie still has too many half-sketched LotR ghost armies, but oh well.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 12, 2015

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

If the Vinland bear had had a gun he would not have died, I agree
nah I disagree, he would have still gotten sniped while trying to shoot thorfinn

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

That Works posted:

Little smug Hannibal at the top of that just kills me.
Dude's not even thinking about throwing that spear.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I hope Thorfinn just does a cool pose and riddles her with throwing knives

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Sue posted:

New chapter of Vinland Saga:

http://readms.com/r/vinland_saga/121/2997/1

I hope it all works out OK for all of them. :ohdear:
They're allllll deaaaaad :unsmigghh:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Oh poo poo that's from one of the dudes behind that trippy climber manga Kokou no Hito I think. Sold.
I always thought Shinji was fine as a character since the dude is like a 13 year old child soldier but I guess it'd be kinda annoying in an adult character

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Gyges posted:

Isn't Thorffin supposed to be a somewhat common name? Seems kind of weird the equivalent of yelling "Steve" in a crowd got those guys' attention.
Yeah, but you might still glance over and be like "is that OUR Steve?"

I'm sure they just wanna bump it and shoot the poo poo (these are euphemisms for Viking death)
Between this and Golden Kamui, my manga bear fighting quota has been filled pretty well this quarter

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

HenryEx posted:

That sounds like it's extremely my poo poo. Unfortunately, not licensed in my language / country, so i'll never get to read it
found it

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Law Cheetah posted:

nooooooo.

it is on mangahere.com, though. searching for oooku
did you even bother reading the plot description? It's THE same series

quote:

But 400 years later in a timeline slightly different from ours where the military empire still exists and Japan is still closed off from the rest of the world, the Ooku is in chaos. What used to be full of gracious and refined ladies, the girls now are violent and rude. They do as they please, get themselves into shenanigans and wreck havoc around the castle!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
just curious, is this "Prince Edmund" guy referred to by Thorkell early in the series some historical figure I should know? Assuming it's this guy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmund_the_Martyr
So I guess he got killed at some point before the events of Vinland Saga. Just kind of stands out to see Thorkell impressed by an Englishman.

bear murdering sick-looking bummed out Thorkell just makes me sad looking back at how much fun old Thorkell was having. He doesn't need conversion or some heart to heart with Thorfinn about the nature of pacifism or the haunting specters of war, he's not like that, I just want that psychopath out in the midst of some bloody war so he can truly smile again. :(

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It's funny how much I ended up coming to love Bjorn considering he was the motherfucker who took Thorfinn hostage in the first place
RIP

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I need to get back into Ad Astra, I just found it so hyper generic and blah to start that I dropped it early on

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

I wish we lived in a world where the Punic War was a really generic and tired setting for comics though.
Not comics but tbh I did kind of kill the Punic Wars (among other historical topics and settings) for myself early on as a youngen by just reading the poo poo out of every aspect of them so now unless it's like Vin Diesel doing a wacky rear end Hannibal movie it doesn't really get me going
I should just try to enjoy Ad Astra though, yeah it's kinda dry. I meant the manga felt kind of generic overall, not the choice of setting

There's not much choice of Roman/ancient world manga though, what with that other weird one never updating so I'm gonna jump back into this

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Rodyle posted:

I mean if you want antiquity, I hope you've read Historie. It's not Rome, obviously, but still great!
Oh yeah, of course. Historie's great, though it's kind of sad how slow and sketchy (literally) it is these days, even though I know the real story till the end it's hard keeping track of stuff that happened in the old chapters. Gonna have to wait until it's finished, maybe.
I guess I also enjoyed some Thermae Romae and that weird slightly perverse series set in the later Roman Empire, I forget its name, it seems like it's dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
it feels weird Thorkell wouldn't have figured it out too if it was that obvious that Floki might be involved, but then I remembered what Thorkell is like.