Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

what if its succeed by no digits

The decklid of the 1M sports only an "M" badge--which leads me to suspect the answer to your question: an LSD-featuring, wide-bodied, 6MT N54 ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

jink posted:

Obvious comment about your amazing M3 aside, the DCT cover looks great! I have a 335is (DCT) and have been considering a cover from BMS or the one you linked... but I am still in the process of swapping the M3 rear end (2.56 -> 3.15 ratio) and custom driveshaft in the car. Can't convince myself to spend close to a grand on these covers until the car is running again; this work started in DECEMBER... :(

HOWEVER I am very interested in hearing feedback about the cover!

Hell yeah! Your project sounds far more fun than anything I've got going on. A bit of an eye opener, the 2.56 gearing and all, although seems appropriate given the low-end torque output of the N55. What are you expecting for changes to daily driving? RPM @ 60MPH now vs. 3.15? That ratio jump is sizable, I'd expect you'll be far more inclined toward smoke shows. Get back in the garage! ;)

Something that makes the Slon cover stand out is the inclusion of a pick-up spacer which accommodates that additional internal depth. I'm debating about picking up an SSP filter to throw in while draining the fluid to install the cover. Still waiting on the loc-tite liquid gasket any way.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Honestly I can't imagine owning a car with that grille on it. If I were in the market for a sedan I'd get a gently used M340i in a year or two when people start trading em in for the new M3

Grille grossness aside, it'll be interesting to watch the second-hand market for turbo-charged M cars over the next 5-7 years. The F8X is still too young to have found any real appreciation, heck E9X is only just ticking up for some configurations, but when it does, to what extent? Or do we see something different? Next-gen M3/4 is similar power plant, with new tech, different packaging/styling, but ultimately it's iPhone X --> 11. What will be the next I-4 --> I-6, or I-6 --> V8 moment?

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

isn't that because of pedestrian safety regulations? maybe they overlearned from the e9x carmageddon frontend

This is the second mention of the E9X murder-front. Can you share more info? Super interested.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Guinness posted:

Do the new turbo motors eat spark plugs? I assume a CPO is like 3 years/30k miles. My M54 calls for 100k mile interval on plugs.

Also lol dealer service prices.

Sparks plugs are a good starting point when dealing with mis-fires on N54. Cannot recall the replacement interval. Heck, the S65 benefits from new plugs every 25k miles or less maybe?!

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

This post is solid guidance. Try to get a spin in RWD if you can.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Bape Culture posted:

But i do love e30 evo fabric

Eagerly awaiting glamour shots of this interior!

Also, regarding new M3/4 rear bumper--it's intentionally going after that prolapsed orifice look?

thealphabetsez fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Sep 26, 2020

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

To double confirm, are you smelling the distinct coolant scent? Have you recently added coolant? Any hint of burning oil smells?

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

SlapActionJackson posted:

I'm just excited that my F80 will finally be "the last good M3"

Haha. It’s funny how that sentiment has been ever present over the years. Now, so long as a turbo-6 remains the power plant, it’s doubtful there will be a, “last good M3” contender to take the reigns from the [insert E30, E46, E9X] depending on your leaning. F8X —> G8X is more an example of the iterative development process, akin to buying an iPhone XS from X.

I’m looking forward to seeing the new M3/4 in-person. Seeing the new 4er hasn’t left me with much excitement, yet.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

got off on a technicality posted:

Speaking of instructors in BMW wagons...

(yes it's an M5)

Holy smokes, plenty of eye candy at PIR today!!

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I absolutely despise the e9x turn signals. They suck so much that it makes you not want to engage them which may be where the stereotype of BMW drivers comes from

I don’t understand this critique—I’ve found the return to neutral design of this era to be quite nice. Tap for triple blink and press to detent for persistent until steering lock is bueno!

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Somewhat Heroic posted:

color me SURPRISED!

one day BMW will figure out how to source a rod bearing worth a drat.

…but a main bearing?! That, that strikes me as a much more invasive campaign to remedy, near total overhaul, and far more impressive a bug-up than the con-rod bearings of NA S-engine shenanigans.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I see my old M2 a lot!! The guy who bought it put tons and tons of plastic crap on it, and also he put rondel "spinners" on the wheels. The BMW icons at the center of each wheel are always motionless while the car's in motion

And at stop lights they bounce back and forth like little blue and white metronomes

Does he at least wear the gloves?

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

rscott posted:

BMW sells more X1s and X3s than every M car combined

It’s almost as though they are BMW’s Cayenne…

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

kronix posted:

It was earlier than that. The LCI E90 335i had an N55.

The 335is for some reason was sold for a while longer with the N54 and the DCT as an option.

My 2010 LCI E90 335 M sport sported an N54 :agesilaus:

That being said, I bought it new and had it flatbed towed twice in the first 3000 miles. Didn’t really learn much as the current daily remains a similarly N54-powered 2010 E61 M sport w/ AWD :fivecbux: It rocked on our recent trip from Portland, Or to Leavenworth, Wa though, thoroughly.

thealphabetsez fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 23, 2022

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Farking Bastage posted:

I love this thing and I think my detail guy is LEGIT. That paint was full of swirls and holograms.

Rich looking AF. drat, the color while this clean is super resembling BMW carbon black.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004
The ///Madness E9X collection on P Car Market has completed as of today. The speed yellow E92 w/ 6k miles sold for $145k, not sure of commission fees. I’d bet this sets a new high mark for the chassis.

E:f,b & terrible snipe

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004
I've continued to neglect driving my E92 much this year, although there are some projects in motion. I recently pulled off the set of BBS RI-A's I had been running since fall 2019, swapping them back to a square 359M setup (another set of RI-A's is headed for paint here soon.) Trying the Continental road tire, extreme ultra summer whatever in 275/30/19 all-around.

In the event anyone was interested in picking up the BBS RI-A's I pulled off, I've got a FS thread at M3Post, and can share detail images of the wheels:
M3Post For Sale Ad

The E61 continues to perform and after the recent service I'm excited for our upcoming New Year's journey to Leavenworth.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Mahatma-Squid posted:

It is on their fwd based platform though, so you're half right. I believe shared with various Minis?

Transverse mounted power plant = FWD [biased] :11tea:

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Sab669 posted:

Like 3 weeks ago I bought some aluminum coolant inlet flange as Reddit had convinced me that's a guaranteed failure on these cars, but I've been delaying attempting to do it myself and instead just driving around paranoid it's going to blown up 🙃

On N54 powerplant, after typical use, indeed the plastic coolant inlet fitting will crumble upon handling. Was helping a friend on their E61 do some maintenance and we found out just how brittle they become. I replaced the fitting on my E61 with aluminum component when replacing the coolant pump.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Sab669 posted:

Was just stopped at a redlight going in to work. Light changes green, I put it in gear and start go and suddenly just heard a really loud noise and have no power. Get kind of a "whirrrr" noise if I give it gas in gear but that's it, revs normally in neutral. No CEL or anything though?

Cool cool cool. Edit; https://youtu.be/h3LarrTnsoo?si=I1nwMwz6fwtUFVzc

If you try 2nd does the whir sound change pitch?

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Sab669 posted:

Tranny shop just called. Whole rear end transmission + transfer case to replace.

Transmission & transfer seem a wild grouping to both require replacement outside a notable excursion. Curiosity only further intensifies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Ether Frenzy posted:

Don't be a fool. LOL.

As everyone knows I already own an E92 and I'd pay $45k in a heartbeat today to buy it again if that's what it took. The guy with $40k waiting for you is going to cackle all the way home at that price.

Agreed that the manual on these isn't special enough and the DCT which is indeed excellent suits the engine's insane ability to rev far better. I drove both before buying and it was a no brainer.

Seconding, thirding the points above. It’s a 45k+ example, with real possibility for upward movement if Haggerty has any reputation with their bulls :airquote:

While I don’t feel as wholly engaged with DCT, left foot idle a lot more, the quick shifts are a dream when using the higher revs and makes for the best hooning