Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

RandomG posted:

I drive an e28 m5.

Dude, your car is HOT. I've been lusting over E28 and E34 M5s for a while now (along with the E30 that's always just barely out of reach)... really gotta finish my current project first tho (needs better suspension, some breathing mods and some other small stuff):

snugglz fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Mar 30, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

warwick5s posted:

Didn't you mention you were going to sell this? Good to see that you haven't. :)

Yeah, what I've learned is that you can sell the car... but you can't sell the disease. I've tried.

That, and everyone was low-balling the hell out of me to the point where I realized the time I have invested is worth more than what I was even asking... anyway, it's a blast to drive and the insurance on 1.9 4-cyls is cheap (shh...) so it makes a pretty rad daily. After I've got it fully sorted, I'm gonna track down an E30 of some sort to flog...

Also, Your avatar is awesome...

Frozen Horse posted:

The ride was surprisingly precise yet distant, like a teutonic dentist.

best description of a 7 I've ever heard...

double-edit: Warwick, I just remembered you're the dude from Madison. I get back from 4 months of backpacking in like 5 days -- wanna go driving?

snugglz fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Mar 31, 2008

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

Pimpsolo posted:

I'm interested in this. I really love your ti. Honestly when I was looking for cars it was either an e46 coupe, or 318ti (ended up e46.) If when you've "finished" your project and you want to sell it, honestly consider me first please. I'd like to see more pics of it and what you're doing to it. Sweet ti.

Thanks! You can see some REALLY old pics of it (from when I first finished the swap) right here: http://180customs.net/Gallery/v/Rides/snugglz/ Rest assured that the exhaust (lol racing sausages -- it was free with the engine, what can I say) and other nasty poo poo has been addressed for the most part... Shoot me a pm; I'll email you the current build sheet and what's next. I like the car alot; the insurance is dirt cheap (even with insurance to cover the differential of the mods) and I still get 32mpg on the highway... unless I really indulge in 5th gear, which is also pretty awesome. Where are you from again? You're welcome to come take it for a spin if you're local... and I might be selling it as early as this summer, as I may be working in Asia come fall.

XCPuff posted:

How much are most of you all paying on insurance for these? I've been looking at E36 328's and every quote I get is almost 400/month? I'm 25 and have one ticket on my record from almost 3 years ago?

I pay $52 a month on the Ti, with comprehensive and some kind of differential insurance that covers the "total loss" value to $16k (even though the KBB is like $5.5k) with documentation. I'm 23 and I have a spotty record, but the car is technically the cheapest BMW to insure due to the measly 1.9l 4-banger (that no longer resides under my hood).

usurper posted:

Ordered but not installed:
RogueEngineering Short Shift Kit

I just did this on my Ti, and it was seriously the best loving $350 I've spent on the whole car. It just completely changes the entire dynamic of shifting; it really feels like the STI's shifter (maybe not quite as mechanical, but very notchy and predictable, with lots of weight to it). I love your M5, BTW.

Edit -- removed useless information because I can't properly read other people's questions...

snugglz fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Apr 3, 2008

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

BraveUlysses posted:

I recommend using a Park Tool Head Wrench 32mm. Put it on the reverse-threaded nut and hit it with a hammer.

Ha -- this is what I used too. I'm a bike mechanic, and when I measured w/ a caliper, a little light went on in my head and said "32mm! Skinny! I have that wrench!" I didn't use a hammer though...

Jonontherun posted:

I've used http://www.autohausaz.com/ before and they ship to Canada. I'm not sure if they have the parts you need but they had almost everything for my e30.

I LOVE these guys; cheapest prices I've found anywhere, and as a bonus, I can toss in crap for my Honda, my mom's Camry, my roomate's lovely Isuzu, etc, on the same shipment (clutch kit for my Accord on the site is --get this-- $58).

miklm posted:

I don't get close to that in my 328is. I averaged 24.5mpg on my last trip up to TN, but I spend a lot more time at 85 than 75. I also need new O2 sensors. Oh, but my trip computer thingy there says I'm doing 27+, so you might want to double check that using the old fashioned manual way and see what your real fuel economy is.

I get 32-33mpg consistently in my Ti, but that's with a rather heavy foot whilst passing, 75mph average speed, 3.25 gears and a car that weighs 2780 with a full tank. Sooo... yeah.

snugglz fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 12, 2008

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

harperdc posted:

here's what I was thinking about - an E36 rack and everything for ~$600. But it takes the E30 from 4.0 to 2.7 turns lock-to-lock :aaa:

Here's that rack for $286 (with a $175 core charge). Probably another $100 or so for fresh hoses and crush washers and whatnot...

I've driven multiple E36's with this mod -- non-M E36s are 3.5 turns LTL (linear) and M3s are 3.0 to 3.25 (progressive) depending on year -- and it is awesome. Makes the really slow driving (like parking lots and such) noticeably heavier in the wheel, but the tighter ratio is loving fantastic and really makes the car feel a bit... tighter. I loved it, and it's defiantly on the list, which will probably be soon since my rack seals are starting to seep (after 10 years and 151k)

Also, IIRC, the Z3 rack is technically 2.8 turns LTL. There are alot of threads about it on bimmerforums. Math was involved.

Spor posted:

Bright loving red

you need some of this for your skirts and trim. It works really well. Also, I dig the E46 325 wheels on that car... looks really clean.

snugglz fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Apr 18, 2008

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

CoffeeBooze posted:

If I were to buy an E30 with 150,000+ miles on the odometer should I expect to find myself spending every Saturday morning/afternoon doing my best to prevent the car from falling apart?

I know you've heard this before, but... it all depends on the previous owners. I tend to aim for enthusiast owned cars, but people with common sense tend to a) take care of their cars and b) keep records. Of course, there are ALOT of people out there with no common sense whatsoever, and the age of the E30 will lead you to alot of shady/questionable cars. Are you in a hurry to buy? It took me 5 months to find my Ti, and that was with the specific intent of throwing the entire drivetrain (and plenty else) out... maybe I'm just absurdly picky, but it made all the difference to me. Also, check out the classifieds in Roundel; I've been seeing some pretty reasonable E30s there recently...

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan
Also, I built a new exhaust this weekend for the Ti. 3" full 304 stainless from the collectors on back, twin magnaflow cans, stock-ish single tip. It sounds... quite nice. Looks stock from the rear (the tip protrudes less than an inch from the bumper).

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

CornHolio posted:

My '97 328i manual transmission says it requires ATF fluid. pelicanparts says swepco 201 is the best, but any gear oil will suffice. I put in Mobile 1 synthetic 75W90. Did I do good?

Most guys I know run either 75w90 or Redline MT-90. I was running MT-90 in mine, but it's a bit thick once it gets cold (I don't drive the car in winter, but hey.. it's Wisconsin) and cold-shifting was _loud_ and seemed stressed. I'm running Redline D4-ATF now (after taking a recommendation from a friend who has several E34s and E36s), and it's been more consistent for me. If you don't notice a change with the climate, you're good. Most "spirited" drivers and people who track their cars run gear oil instead of ATF for viscosity reasons I don't fully understand...

Dyscrasia posted:

I am starting to really wonder about the gear oil I used. I used Redline 75w90 GL5 w/ LSD additive. Is that just the complete wrong gear oil for a BMW diff?

Nope, that should be perfect... and you've already replaced pretty much every item I would think of. Did you check the E-brake shoes inside the rear discs? They're held on with silly little tabs on the brake backing plate that consistently break off/pull through... I can't really imagine how this would produce a "mechanical" sound, but when mine pulled through they rattled around based on axle speed, which was annoying as all hell.

snugglz fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 27, 2008

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan
CornHolio -- FWIW, I stumbled upon this thread that has some mixed opinions on running 75w90 in a ZF tranny (there are another dozen or so just like it of Bf.C). Lots of dick waving in the thread, but maybe some useful info... YMMV would seem to be the consensus.

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

CornHolio posted:

crap. I guess let this be a warning to others, gear oil goes in the back, ATF goes in the middle, motor oil goes in the front!

I think you're overreacting a bit -- it's pretty well known and accepted that if you're tracking your car or beating on it more than average, gear oil lubricates better than ATF. If you're an average driver, ATF may be the better (read: more consistent) option. Like I said, most of my buddies run MTL or MT-90 in their ZFs with no ill-effects... I'm only running ATF because MT-90 shifts kinda hard in the cold. When I bought the car it had Royal Purple MTL in it and shifted pretty much the same...

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

WarmWaffles posted:

I am asking for 2,500 and I live outside of San Antonio, TX. I replaced the transmission in my car with a brand new Getrag 245 4 Speed, and I did a motor rebuild but it smokes like a mother fucker right now but the head was rebuilt and it just needs oversized piston rings to stop the smoking, I just don't have the time to do it anymore

drat, how much rust? That body looks killer in the photo...

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

Pissingintowind posted:

I still don't know if the windows are supposed to roll OPEN or not (from both sides or one). I am leaning towards no, since there was nothing wrong with the wiring in my passenger side, and the chances that it would fail on both front doors are somewhat slim. Maybe those of you reporting that it does work have some sort of aftermarket addition?

I've never heard of this -- I believe it's only to close them. Can't comment on the trunk thing, as I've got a hatchback...

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

Swap_File posted:

The manual transmission, engine, Bilstein HD struts, and staggered replica M Contour 17 inch rims will all probably be moved over to the 318ti. The previous owner said one of the rims might be tweaked a little, so I will have to get them checked at the local shop. The 325i might also have a short shifter, and he claimed it had an M3 exhaust, but I am not sure. The exhaust will need to be redone anyway to make it fit.

A couple of things to add to that list: the front brake calipers/rotors from the 325 will bolt up to the knuckles on the Ti, and allow you the luxury of vented front rotors, which you will most definately need once you get an extra 100+ more ft/lbs of torque under the hood. Also, you'll need most of that fuel evap gear to avoid that code on your Ti, as it all varies by year and is rather specific. The rear section of the exhaust will simply not fit well, no matter how much you hack up the tubes, as the rear can itself is simply too long for the under body of the car, so the tips will stick out a good 3" even if you mount it as far forward as possible... and the bumper is only cut for a single tip, which may or may not be an issue for you if you don't mind the "hot butter knife" look. It's pretty easy to modify the front section to fit, to retain the cats, so maybe just shoot for something custom from the cats back. I'm running a single pipe from the collectors on back with an aftermarket cat, ending in a single tip to keep the stock-ish look. Do you have to worry about emissions? Also, I'm sure you already know about the difference between the rear suspension setups between the Ti and the other E36s...

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

ethanol posted:

Seems like it's going to be a hard job finding a reasonably priced e36 with all its service records. Might take a few months... which I have.

Took me 6 months to find mine... patience yields results.

Lufiron posted:

My '86 e28 has over 240k miles on it, and the engine is barely broken in.

I remember once reading a thread on Bf.C of a guy building the M20 out of his E30, and at 230k miles, the cylinder walls still had the original cross-hatching... loving impressive. If you replace the regular "wear items" that are beaten to death in this thread, BMWs are ridiculously tough.

ethanol posted:

Can you tell me more about how to get this chip? Are there any "side-effects"?

Active Auto, Turner and several other companies can flash chips for OBD-I cars based on whatever mods you have (cams, breathing mods, injectors, etc) that can bring awesome results. OBD-II guys are stuck with either the Shark Injector (Jim Conforti based flasher -- reviews are mixed) or custom flashing of the ECU itself (AA also does this, as well as some specialty guys -- Nick G in Florida comes highly recommended). Lots of info on this floating about BMW forums... my buddy Chuck was able to get 234rwhp out of his 2.8 with M3 cams, basic breathing mods and an AA chip, with no change in mileage or "driveability" (pending his right foot's behavior).

snugglz fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 23, 2008

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

Pissingintowind posted:

Not sure if you guys have seen this, but it is loving awesome.

Electric E46

I disagree... that is loving AWESOME.

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

So I installed my UUC Red Tranny mounts last night and took it for a spin and there is quite a bit of vibration around 1500rpm and they transmit a lot of road noise while on the interstate.

Well, the red ones are specifically for track use... so I'd say that's pretty normal. Just for kicks though, when you re-torque them, make sure you don't pre-load them at all... in other words, tighten the nuts with the full weight of the transmission against the mounts against the cross brace.

snugglz fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 29, 2008

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

I was looking into this recently too, as I spent an hour driving back from Cocoa beach doing 80 with lovely headlights. Kind of unnerving. From what I gather, the Depo or Apexcone Ellipsoid lights are the best bang for the buck, with around 4500-5000K looking OEM. For around $250 or so you can get the housing and the bulbs.

DDM does Apexcones for $99 and Depos for $149, with HID. They're pretty honest about the quality you get for that price -- the Depos are not servicable and pretty brittle, but have slightly better lenses than the Apexcones, which have replaceable lenses and are... well, cheap. ZKW's can be had for around $250 or less these days, and the OEM German stuff from Hella will set you back a ton, when you can find them, but are magnificent in comparison to other non-OE options.

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

Pissingintowind posted:

lighting info

drat, good info in that thread... a common problem of threads like that on BFC is the supporting vendors "chiming in" with their products, which turns into a pissing match real quick. My bad on checking the ZKW pricing -- apparently "each" is not "pair"... whoops. I hate the USDM lights too, but as my BMW isn't really daily driven, it's really been on the back burner for me in terms of mods... I'd love to see your results on the Depo/TSX retrofit.

frozenphil posted:

Anyone know of a decent write up for replacing the rear bearings and hubs on an E36 and what parts I need to order?

There's a pretty good write up in the Bentely manual, if you have that. There are PDFs of it meandering about the internet, but it's well worth the $60.

snugglz fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 15, 2008

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

CornHolio posted:

Crevier BMW has been very helpful and is going to try to send me information since I sent them license and registration to prove I owned the car, but the other dealers told me the info was basically off limits.

I thought BMW had a network where any dealer could look up work done at other dealers. Does anybody have experience with this?

Reactions seem to be mixed, particularly in regard to service records. I know most of the staff at my local BMW dealership, but when I floated them my VIN's all they could pull up was the original build sheet and all work done while under warranty (which, apparently, they're not even supposed to give out). When I called the original dealership for my car (to find anything post-warranty), it took several tries before I talked to someone who gave a gently caress and was willing to print and mail me the records (after I faxed him a copy of my title and license) they have on the car; everyone else was borderline rude about it, and I had a similar experience looking up records for my friend's car. I still have gaps in the records, but as my car is pretty hacked up (parts bin car) anyway, I kind of let it go.

On the topic of interiors, I have no clue why they don't still use plaid/argyle in BMW/MINI interiors (seems like that'd really appeal to the mini crowd); the pure awesomeness of plaid is something I'd pay for way before I'd pay for leather. I miss cloth...

snugglz fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 6, 2008

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

gjh posted:

The Z4M Coupe is all but dead. The few new ones that are left at the dealers is all there will be. If you have any inclination to get one, do it now. It's an awesome car and the current discounts that can be had make it even better.

krysmopompas posted:

Dead as we know it, but rising from the ashes with the M3's V8.

Wait, what? They're discontinuing it? I couldn't find any info on this...

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

Gimik posted:

Yes, mine. I like the front plate! :devil: I always wanted an M5 with the chrome front plate - I know it's tacky and I'll get sick of it some day (getting close now), but I don't think it's THAT bad. AZ doesn't have a front plate law.

Not to be a dick, but you do realize that a flat piece of chrome on your bumper is like the ideal target for radar and laser, right? Especially all with that roundel lookin' like a bullseye and everything...

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

Dyscrasia posted:

That is kind of what I am thinking. My wrecked car has been sitting (with a cover, and tarp over the engine bay) outside in Wisconsin weather for two years, not sure if its even possible to rebuild it, and it had 190k, so its not worth a straight up swap, for all I know, its got cracks in it from the collision.

Might just have to sell the 300zx and get myself an M3 as a 'fun' car. The Nissan is a blast, but I've been all about BMWs ever since I picked up the E30.

when I swapped the M44 out of my Ti the engine went to sit quietly in my friend's garage (near Madison WI). if it's still there, you can have it for free -- 144k, ran perfectly when I pulled it... of course, it's OBDII, and does not have it's wiring harness (got pulled for a friend's project car) so that may not be any less complicated than an M/S50 swap...

on the questions side -- I know this is a longshot, but does anyone know if there's a hitch receiver available for an E36 hatch (318Ti)? google brings me nothing and I'd LOVE to put a Saris Thelma on my Ti; the hatch rack I've been using is just not as convenient as I'd like....

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan
no worries -- I'll email the guy who owns the garage and see if it's still there...

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan
today sucks. I hate today.

left it stored with a friend, who had permission to drive it. I am 12,000 miles away at the moment

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

Lightbulb Out posted:

Nice looking compact, that sucks! Plans to fix it?

not sure yet; I don’t really want a clapped-out car... would rather find another chassis and swap all my sweet guts into it. not sure what to tell him he owes me for this, as not-clapped-out compacts are getting really hard to find (it took me nearly six months to find that chassis... 14 years ago)

Somewhat Heroic posted:

That is a cool looking Ti (minus the damage). Is that thing swapped?

yeah. M3 from the windshield forward, MZ3 from the B pillars back. bunch of other nice stuff. I finished the motor swap in 2006 so I’ve been playing with it for quite a while.

search for an MZ3 Coupe shell? weird E30 project? make the guy just buy it from me and wash my hands of the whole thing? help me AI, you’re my only hope

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

Lightbulb Out posted:

Z3 would be cool of some kind, so would an e30 project but I think the suspension isn’t backwards compatible other than the bushings.

I’ll buy your door cards ;)

Compact shares suspension with the Z3 (E36 front/E30 rear). door cards are shared with 4 door E36 if you’re looking for some; they’re a dime a dozen.

meatpimp posted:

a) Make him pay for it regardless. He had permission to drive it, but that permission comes with responsibility. If he was half a man, he'd already be cutting you a check or sourcing a shell.

b) Sell the car as-is to meatpimp.

c) No profit, but :smith:

he’s committed to “making it right”, though I haven’t yet defined that, even to myself.

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Gotta pay if you want to drive a Bond Car, baby

that was a 4-cylinder Toadster but yeah. I’ve been trying to find a high-mileage/beaten-on/broken-down Z3C to swap all my 332Ti guts into and can’t find anything for less than $7k, with most of them over $10k (for a non-M). which is pretty crazy

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/d/santa-rosa-rare-1999-coupe-excellent/6945081663.html

“firm price”.

ugh.

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

Residency Evil posted:

I'm the "car collector alert."

yeah totally, car collectors are always drooling over 285,000 mile cars

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

BraveUlysses posted:

Who cares, that's a great buy!

can’t tell if you’re being serious or sarcastic

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

fyallm posted:

Just bought 10 bmw cca raffle tickets, wish me luck

eh, gently caress it. I remember someone in this thread winning a drat car from the last one; 10 tickets it is. that’s like a 1 in 500 chance, which actually isn’t terrible

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

Guinness posted:

We did get the F30 328/330 diesels, but BMW dropped them again with the G20.

Diesel is as dead as a door knob for everything except heavy duty trucks in the USA. It'll start happening in Europe, too, they just have a lot farther to fall there.

diesels are pretty awesome though? both my diesel cars in the states are crazy reliable and get great mileage, my diesel van in the UK is dead reliable and gets 26mpg, and my Hilux in South Africa is the most reliable thing I've ever owned. I feel like the US is behind the curve, not in front of it

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

willroc7 posted:

How reliable are e34 m3’s? I understand their sort of the bastards child of the m3 lineup, is that correct?

https://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/d/elyria-bmw-m-sedan-e36/7183306675.html

late to the party on this one, but that is a pretty good deal, even for that mileage and “lux” package interior… the airbag light is likely from what BraveUlysses mentioned; even unplugging a seat sensor while the car has 12v will trip it. You can reset it either with the Peake tool, or with a BMW GT1, which is basically a shop laptop… Make friends with a tech at a dealership and it shouldn’t take more than five minutes. Very robust engine, mine has 198K on it and all I’ve done is regular maintenance, bulletproof the cooling system and replace the Vanos (and little stuff like an alternator)

whaddya think a reasonable offer on this would be? I’m pretty tempted but $13+k seems pretty high for a non-runner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan
sad day, but my 332ti is up for sale/part-out