Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Yeah the Fuzz Factory is real nice too. I just thought it was out of my price range at the moment. But then I went and looked on eBay and you're right, some can be had for cheap(ish).

I also got a new synth a few days ago and want to make some dirty sounds like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eeAjKYyPL0

Would that be doable with any fuzz or just the Blue Box because it can go down 2 octaves?

Anything in that video where the right knob isn't cranked all the way up is fairly specific to the Blue Box. The low end random pitch changing happens more often the lower that knob is. It's got a bit of a unique sound, and if you like what's going on there, just get one. Shouldn't be hard to find a used one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

philkop posted:

Anyone have the ernie ball volume pan pedal?

Someone here suggested this long ago but I couldn't find the post.

I have a jc120 and a small tube amp. ( downgraded to JC 55 though, the 120 will sit in my closet until I have kids and they start a band or something.)

Anyways I want to a b y whatever them and this pedal seemed like a cool option.

I want to know if the middle position is both amps at full volume. No tech talk here, I understand there may be some curve or something because two amps at full volume is than each at full volume blah blah

In actual use of this I want to know if there is a noticeable dip in the center halfway between each amp.

Yeah, there is. I found it more useful to just use a y cable and run a volume pedal before the JC. It always sounded too thin with just the JC by itself, but bringing some in on top of the tube sound periodically was a nice effect.

You could maybe try to smooth out the volume drop in the center with a compressor on each amp.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I used to play with a guy who had a pod for a few years. I never, ever liked the sound. The couple times he wound up not using it and just going through an old Bassman were wonderful.

I'm a big fan of the JC 120. I like to warm it up with a tube pedal or sometimes a fuzz. The distortion in the amp sounds kind of Fields of the Nephilim, or like an HM-2. It also changes character a lot with a treble booster or a Distortion+ in front of it.

If I lost all my pedals and had to start over, I still wouldn't get into modeling stuff. I'd much rather have a few good pedals on a small board, especially if I wasn't going to use a tube amp. Cold digital + solid state amp just doesn't sound good to me.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Declan MacManus posted:

So I just bought a Blue Box and apparently it runs on 9V AC. Any idea how I get it to play nice with my other power supplies?

Are you sure? Mine uses the 1/8" connector instead of a normal Boss-style, but I've run it just fine off a 1-Spot or similar.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Sven posted:

thinking of grabbing a used Boss DD-20

No problems with mine. They're pretty solid.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Alleric posted:

So, overdrives. Holy crap there's a lot of overdrives. And none of them seem to be what I want.

I really don't know how to describe the sound I'm looking for, but it is way, way more subtle than what I see out of anything I've found samples of on youtube so far. I'm looking for a very smooth, breathy, slow-onset kind of drive, that really only harshens on the hardest of pick attacks. I guess that means headroom in guitar-pedal-speak? It's low, low gain, that's for sure.

I dunno, the best sound example I can give is Duane Allman's softer, more expressive stuff from the Fillmore East album. My presumption is that what I'm looking for is basically power tube saturation, but I would need someone far more versed in effects to say for sure.

Anyway, things I've noticed so far:

TS circuits are not the answer I'm looking for. I find them way, way too harsh.

Maybe what I'm looking for is a booster and not an OD? I've kinda dug some stuff I've seen/heard on the TC Spark and the Xotic EP.

You might like the T Rex Moller overdrive. While I believe it is more or less based on a tube screamer, I generally dislike tube screamers and love this thing. The key feature is the mix knob, so you can blend clean and overdriven signal. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTgdtekVnyY 2:00 demonstrates the mix knob, and 3:30 shows it and the gain at about noon, which is where I always ran mine.

Alternately, either a treble booster or a germanium fuzz will do subtle distortion if you have passive pickups and don't have the volume all the way up. I use an Analogman Sun Lion for that. The Moog MF drive might be worth looking into as well.

But for subtle distortion that just puts an edge on the signal and sounds practically clean, a Moller with gain and drive at noon or less is what I'd try. I used mine in an electric folk rock band for anything that didn't need to be pristinely clean.

edit: There's a boost on the Moller as well, available independently from the overdrive. Forgot to mention it because I never use it.

Gorgar fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 25, 2014

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

In my experience, putting a gain pedal in the effects loop makes a big difference. I used to use an EHx English Muff'n in the loop of a Fender 6L6 amp to get a more Marshall-sounding voicing, without even bypassing the Fender preamp. I don't have a feel for the character of a JC's preamp, though, but I'd try just putting the tube pedal in the loop and not bypassing, compare the sound of that to the sound of bypassing, and see if the extra trouble of bypassing the preamp will even be worth it.

When I used the Seymour Duncan Twin Tube, I just put it in front of the JC and it sounded pretty good. They also make a lower gain blues-oriented pedal that might be useful.

One thing to watch for: pops and clicks from pedals in the effects loop can be pretty loud, especially if you've got the master volume up.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

The Duncan tube pedals are pretty nice. I've held onto both of mine even though I don't currently use them just because they're good pedals. I kind of want the blues one too, maybe to run into a Bassman.

This thread reminds me of an experiment I wanted to try: preamp of an Engl 6L6 amp into effects return of an EL34 amp.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

The RV-7 is a pretty good workhorse. Doubt I'll ever get rid of mine.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Smash it Smash hit posted:

but that supernatural reverb just looks so sexy....

I've got both, and was going to offer to compare the spring reverb settings, but now I can't find either of them.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

That would be sick, I am sitting on some Ebay auctions right now for both. From what I understand is that the SN spring reverb is a bit too long for conventional use?

Ok, found them both. A/B test results: there's quite a bit of control on the RV-7 on the minimal end. That is, you can get just a little bit of reverb, and you can vary that with Level, Decay and Liveliness. The Supernatural has the same controls (Level = Mix, more or less), but it sounds haunting no matter what you do with it, and there's a lot less variation on the minimal end. It sounds a little bit like a Super Reverb in a cave. It's pretty cool, but minimizing it sounds like you're moving the mic farther from the Super Reverb and dropping the gain on it, and mixing in dry signal. You have to just about zero out Liveliness and Decay just to get in the ballpark, then adjust the Mix. It's not really for minimizing, whereas the RV-7 is. So if you really want a lot of control over minimalist reverb, you probably need both. Because:

I hadn't even used the Supernatural yet, as I'd stopped playing for a while when I got it. That thing is goddamn transcendant.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

which would give me that heavy reverb surf action without mudding up/cut through well enough?

I hear the SN's spring is a but dark and long trails and depending on the way it layers, I can see that getting mad muddy/lost in the mix.

That gives me a better idea what you're looking for. I played around a bit with both on spring with the other knobs at noon, and they'll both do surf. The RV-2 sounds faithful and almost generic. It's warmer. The Supernatural seems to cut mids a little bit, and like I said, everything sounds haunting. I think the Supernatural might cut through better. It's a sharper sound, kind of larger than life. It's sort of the difference between "yup, that's some surf guitar" and "poo poo, that's some surf guitar". If you were trying to do straight rockabilly/surf, RV-2. If the bass guitar is shaped like a coffin, Supernatural.

I think the RV-7 is for when you want traditional reverb (though it'll do some wacky things too), and the Supernatural is for when you want the character of the reverb to be a component of your sound.

Gorgar fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 7, 2015

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I'll see if I can coax a bit of distortion out of an Engl tomorrow and find out.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

do you think the supernatural will not be too over the top for more non-ambient guitar? how does it take dirt?

Subjective opinion: the fancy modes sounded bad to me with distortion, but I don't think that's what they're for. It might be all right if you're going for an Opeth sound. The spring reverb setting did ok, but even there the RV-7 sounded better.

It sounds very prog-metal with distortion, and the ambient settings are noisier. I just don't like that sound, so I can't tell you if it's a good version of it or not. But based on what I heard, I wouldn't put it behind a more organic-sounding distortion, because the first thing it does is replace organic sound with haunting sound. To be fair, I did this on an Engl, so it's maybe not that surprising that with an atmospheric pedal like this, Opeth came out. I just don't like the way it eats the mids with distortion.

Based on that test, I'll keep both around, since they each do their own thing pretty well, but I'm never going to pick the Supernatural to add a touch of reverb to a guitar tone I want to keep more or less intact.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

What kind of guitar and amp are you using?

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

It's wrong to get an EHx B9 and a C9, right? I mean, they sound different, but.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Looks like the same volume pedal I use with my moogerfoogers. Ernie Ball Volume Jr, I think.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Yeah, that must be a Taiwanese HM-2. The Japanese ones don't run off a standard 9v supply without mods, I believe.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I wonder what that is at the bottom, with the red and purple cables coming out of it. The box looks a lot like a toneczar box, and he uses a silver stripe like that, but below the pedals and much thicker.

Also there's a nasty scratch in the floor just above the rug. Might be pergo.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Declan MacManus posted:

It's Japanese. As it turns out the Boss ACA adapters take a 12V supply and convert it down to 9V for the pedal's supply purposes, but if you daisy chain it and short the input/output by connecting it to another pedal in the same daisy chain, it bypasses the converter and runs off the 9V supply just fine.

Alternatively if you run it off of a standard isolated 9V supply it makes some really cool dying battery sounds.

That would explain why I thought I remembered running mine off 9V but then having it not work next time I used it, and the shop telling me I needed it modded so it would behave. Huh. Well, now it works regardless. Thanks. I always wondered what the hell happened there.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

she may think more $=better.

More knobs, switches and jacks = better.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Too bad you didn't send her to 4ms.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Signal routing question: I'm looking to reroute some effects loops, more or less. With a pair of amps, I want to be able to switch between these two conditions:
  • Normal operation: each amp using its own preamp, effects loop, and poweramp.
  • Amp A's send into amp B's return. Only amp A's preamp and amp B's poweramp will be used in this configuration.
The best I can think of is putting an A/B box just after A's send and another one, in reverse, feeding into B's return. I'd rather not do it that way because I'd prefer just to have one switch to control it. It's not for real-time performance or anything, but I still want to be able to just look at it and know which way it is set, and prevent any useless states where the two A/B boxes aren't both set right.

It seems like this should be simple, but most routing type stuff is built to switch multiple loops from an input signal, and this is a bit more like a railyard switch or something.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Weird BIAS posted:

I'm wondering too.

Not sure it's a clone. Given that they demo "Burn" for a bit, and based on the way it sounds, it might be an attempt at a full-range treble booster, though it doesn't really sound like a Rangemaster. It nails the "Burn" sound pretty well, but that was a modded Marshall with a tape deck preamp.

syntaxfunction posted:

I've been looking at building an actual pedal board and have thus been going more into learning about pedals. Distortion/fuzz/overdrive is fairly straight forward, but apart from how tweakable they go what's the real difference between, say, two analog delays, set at the same delay time, feedback, etc. I understand that different pedals offer different options for these settings but what's the sound difference? Chorus, flanger, phasers all have different depths and rates and how wild they go but surely a delay is, aside from analog v digital, just a delay?

Digital delays vary in how much they try to emulate some form of analog delay, from not at all (some of the Boss DD-whatevers) to quite a lot. Analogs will vary in how they're voiced. Some are murkier than others. Fancier ones might have an effects loop.

Choruses vary in voicing too, at least with the simpler ones. A Small Clone won't really sound like a Boss. Fancier ones can cover more ground. Same with flangers. An MXR is good at thick and heavy, an ADA will do a lighter Pat Travers sort of thing.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

An octave pedal like a Boss OC-2 will fill out the sound. Use sparingly, just a touch of octave below. EHx makes one too, sounds nice before dirt.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

There's a Space Echo at one of the local shops. Sometimes I can hear it calling me.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

dammit, quote is not edit. Point is, it's an RE-201, not a pedal.

Space Echoes make me stupid.

Gorgar fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Mar 20, 2016

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I just bought a Depths. So far I really like it.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Have: shitloads. Use: 2-3. I generally have a Red Witch Moon Phaser on all the time with a dummy plus in the second output jack, makes it a lot more subtle. Usually an MXR 134 chorus or the old one with its own power cable, or a JC-77. Recently added an EQD Depths, sounds really good sandwiched between drive and fuzz. I like vibey phasers and pretty choruses, and am pretty indifferent to flangers.

Just to be different, last practice I played straight into the amp, which I never do, but it worked out well.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

hanales posted:

Is the red witch the one that's based on the small stone?

Never found something I really liked more than my 70s small stone that no longer exists.

Not that I know of. It's got a few settings with tremolo added, like their Medusa chorus. I use it on a sort of univibey setting.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

yeah I used to use a one spot and the only problem was I would sometimes accidentally kick the plugs out. occasionally our guitarist would have problems with buzzing if he wasn't using all five plugs on the daisy chain and the metal bit would touch something, but that's an easy fix (tiny piece of electrical tape on whichever ones you aren't using)

Aquarium tubing, cut into bits. Fits right over the plug, won't come off accidentally.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

There are tons of new delays and reverbs out and it's been a while since I've had a magical new pedal day. It's time! What should I YouTube dive in after? The EQD Space Spiral is definitely an option. Also their Transmisser. Even if you don't have a delay or reverb to suggest hit me with whatever. I'm in the mood to try out something new.

Right now my chain is Pitchblack -> EQD Arrows out front and MXR CC -> EQD Afterneath -> Digitech Supernatural (might sell this soon) -> TC T2 -> TC Loop in the effects loop.

tl;dr I should put together a loving EQD board because it's inevitable apparently

So far, online demos haven't moved me to replace or augment the Supernatural.

I did the all-EQD board for a while at home: Crimson Drive => Depths => Dream Crusher. I'm resisting the urge to go get their chorus and reverb and call it done. So far I really like their stuff.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

hanales posted:

DD-20 does that, tap and BPM settings.

I feel like I pimp that pedal a lot, but features for price it's really great, and sounds great too. I got mine for 90 bucks used.

The DD-20 is great poo poo.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

JamesKPolk posted:

Hows it do with line level stuff?

Used it (in stereo!) in the effects loop of a JC-120. No issues.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Southern Heel posted:

RAT into Marshall? Are there better choices for the RAT these days? I looked briefly at Catalinbread Katzenkoenig but not sure if there are better choices for fuzzstortion...

I had a Rat from a few years ago. Sold it off eventually, was kind of generic-sounding to me, covered some of what a Metal Muff does, kept the MM instead, never really use that either.

I've got a Katzenkoenig and really like it. Mostly I do loads of layered germanium and tube distortion, but I was happy with the Katz into a clean EL34 amp as a simple single distortion effect. Was considering using it as my only effect, which isn't normally my thing. My previous distortion chain was a Distortion+, Analogman Sunlion (fuzz face and rangemaster clone), and a T-Rex Moeller. Katz replaced all that. It's a good pedal, usable as gently caress.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Also, since you're a germanium freak, here's some mail I got a few days ago:

What are you going to build with all that?

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I probably do. I've got a Hologram Dream Sequence that I'm pretty fond of. Half the time I pick up a guitar, I just want to gently caress around playing weird ambient poo poo. Same goes for the Supernatural reverb. Thinking about the Empress reverb and the new delay, echo station or whatever it's called.

Unexpected side benefit of the Dream Sequence: there's something about the non-sequenced mode that sounds way better than an EHX POG2 for running into a fuzz and doing Jon Lord style poo poo. It's a really nice-sounding pedal, which is what attracts me about the Empress ones too. I gather the Strymon and Eventide reverbs are more powerful, but the Empress sounds better to me.

I don't remember what the settings were, but having the ring mod and phaser in the loop of the Moog delay made for some weird sounds I spent a lot of time with, too.

Rainbow Machine is on my list, but I imagine that'll turn up used. I'm pretty much in love with anything that'll start from what I play and take off on its own.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Wengy posted:

Speaking of Empress,

most of the charm lies in the 'out there' stuff.

I am ok with this. I've got the Supernatural and the normal Hardwire reverb (RV-7?), plus a Super Reverb in a head sitting around.

I'd buy yours, but it looks like you're in Europe, and shipping would probably be prohibitive. Don't blame you for wanting a Big Sky, though. They're popular for a reason. I feel like the Empress sounds a little darker though, and just more like what I want reverb to sound like. I'm after a post-punk, dub, post-rock, space rock sort of thing. The Big Sky always sounds really bright and airy and a bit too digital to me. Could probably tweak that out of it, and I'm sure I'd love the hell out of it if I had one.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

You can never have too much overkill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I probably wouldn't use a faithful germanium fuzz face clone like that one in front of a synth. May not sound very good; they were intended to work on passive guitar pickups, and they tend to get harsh with any sort of a buffered signal (though Hendrix put a wah in front of his, and nobody's going to tell him he was wrong).

There are lots of good options though. I like the Black Arts Pharaoh. Earthquaker makes lots of good fuzzes. Big muffs should be cheaply available. Should not be hard to pick something up used.

Don't get me wrong, I bet that fuzz sounds great. Fuzz faces are my favorite fuzz. Just not sure it will work for you intended purpose.