Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

RationalAppeal posted:

Can anyone recommend a good stomp tuner that doesn't cost a fortune?

define "A Fortune"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

My USA Big Muff seems to be losing output, I have to crank up the output to hear it when I play live.

I'm wondering if I should replace it. I've been looking at the Big Muff Bass and have been mildly impressed with it. When I use the muff I'm playing power chords or fingerstyle octave lines ala John Wetton, and I was really impressed with his fuzz tone.

Another option I have is get the muff I have repaired and also modded for bass.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Cross post from new gear thread:

Shipped this morning.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

pimpology 101 posted:

I need advice on a fuzz pedal. I was thinking of getting the little big muff because I love the sound of a big muff pi, but everybody says that it doesn't cut through well in a live situation. I was wondering, if I used an overdrive pedal with it to boost it, would it be able to cut through better or should I just look for a different fuzz pedal? (I'd be using it with a strat, if that makes any difference)

I was also considering the boss fz-5 but the reviews say the only useable setting on it is the fuzz face one so that would be kind of a waste of money, and I'd prefer a higher gain fuzz anyways.

The Big Muff has a built-in EQ curve of scooped mids in it's sound/circuitry. An OD pedal for a boost wouldn't really help, but the BMP with the Tone Wicker switch actually has a more "flat" sound to it, it should help you cut through.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

After a blunder and a false start on live radio last night I finally remembered to ask this question.

I have a Wren & Cuff Pickle Pie fuzz running into an Ernie Ball volume pedal. I've noticed that when I set my pedals up (I don't have a pedalboard) I get an intermittent signal, and after some semi-frantic wiggling I've deduced that my right angled pedal cable is not playing nice with the jacks on top of the volume pedal with the side jacks of the fuzz pedal. This didn't seem to happen with I had the volume pedal at the front of the front of the chain. Could a short straight plug cable solve this issue?

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Analog delay: Memory Toy or MXR?

I like the MXR for straight-ahead analog delay but the Memory Boy is great for more "ambient" style stuff with the modulation blend knob.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

forever whatever posted:

So I got a few pedalboards; a Pedaltrain-3 which I use when I'm playing guitar, and a Pedaltrain Mini that I use when I'm playing bass. I use a few of the same pedals for both and the past few months I'm noticing that the velcro (which came with the boards) keeps coming off my pedals entirely. Is there a type of super sticky velcro that won't just slide off my pedals after a few months and will hold up to being detached every now and again from a board? Any tips would be great.

I just buy "INDUSTRIAL" strength velcro at Home Depot. Get some painters tape and put that on the back of the pedal before the velcro. Now you have velcro and the paint won't chip off!

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Popcorn posted:

Any of you effects maestros know how Adrian Belew is using to create the spasticated diving and stuttering here? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wp2qhoop9U&t=3537s

It sounds like something you could cook up in Max/MSP, but this was 1980.

Roland Chorus amp run in stereo feeding back. He uses the same sound in a lot King Crimson stuff in the 80s.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Popcorn posted:

Metronome won't work, because the loop is generated from an Akai headrush looper activated by footswitch. It can't be synced to a metronome.

I think headphones is the answer, but I'm still trying to figure out the best way to get the loop to a pair of headphones (and still coming out of the amp as part of the band). My amp has a headphones socket but it stops the audio coming out of the speaker and we need both.

I've seen band carry around another guitar amp just as a monitor from the loop pedal to the drummer. Kinda a pain in the rear end but it get's the job done.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

HollisBrown posted:

Edit for content:
I'm really looking for something that sounds like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWybTnWN09c ~3:38

I'm pretty sure Fripp used a Russian Big Muff pedal in the 1970s. Possibly check out some of the Wren and Cuff series? He does a lot of copies of period-specific Muffs.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Hey dudes/dudettes. I have a circa early 90s Boss CS-3 that has seemed to kick the bucket. The pedal still powers on but the sound while the pedal is on is all hosed up, more like a lovely distortion than anything else. Does this seem like a quick/easy repair or should I not even bother?

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

With a onespot. I tried it with what I thought was a good 9v and it didnt work.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

A friend gave me a TS9DX for my birthday, I just run it on TS9 but man I love the sound I get out of my amp with it. Now I just need an actual clean boost.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

field balm posted:

Also, what is the modulation all over Disintegration by The Cure? Some sort of chorus and a phaser? I'm guessing a small stone but only because its the only phaser I ever see used.

Roland jazz chorus with the stereo chorus engaged, with a bunch of Boss chorus and flanger pedals, and high pass the hell out of all your guitars.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

forever whatever posted:

Sorry for being an idiot, but can you tell me what 'high pass the hell' out of a guitar would mean?

A high-pass filter is a filter that will knock out any frequencies past a certain frequency. Usually for "rock guitar" you would apply the cutoff from 80 to 100 hz but it's just a rule of thumb. For that Robert Smith sound he bumps it up towards the 140-200 hz range, so a lot of the low-end doesn't exist anymore. It really helps to get the guitars to "float" a little better over everything.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Declan MacManus posted:

He uses the strangle switch on the VI, which is a built in HPF. It's all about avoiding mud and letting the bass sit at the bottom of the mix without having the guitar interfere.

He also plays REALLY high on the Bass VI, like a lot of Disintergration/Wish era stuff has nothing lower than the open G string, so he's not getting a lot of low-end out of it anyway.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

muike posted:

Which category does the swollen pickle fall under?

Muff clone.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

So this was just announced

http://www.ehx.com/products/nano-looper-360

Where's that "Sweet Jesus" First Contact gif when I need it.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Can you write out a little chart for the signal path?

If you put the looper and volume pedal in the effects loop of your amp (if it has one) that would be a really simple way to get what you're after.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

philkop posted:

Both the Y splitter and the 2 into one adapter seem to let the signal flow through all different ways.
For example, using the Y splitter or the 2 into one adapter to run two guitars at once creates a weird effect where the tone and volume of one guitar effects the other guitar.

I think the problem has to do with this and its looking like I may need to build a cheap AB box or something.

My volume pedal is also a panner pedal. It has an two inputs and two outputs and pans between the two. (This is not shown in the picture but listed below is a much cleaner method that I also have not been able to utilize.)

I have tried the guitar cable with a y split running into into A, and into the loop pedal. The out of the looper then goes to input B. I then use the 2 into one adaptor and connect both outputs to the amp at the same time. This feels like it should work but doesn't produce good results. There is a significant difference in volume of each input and I suspect it has to do with the cables but I can't really figure out why.

Yeah, my guess is that somewhere along the line something is not summing correctly. If your amp doesn't have an effects loop than an ABY box is probably your best bet.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Boss SD-1 ($40 from local music shop)

I've been really happy with my SD-1 with the C6 mod. It's the easiest thing in the world. There are pictures out there that show which capacitor to cut. I yanked mine out with needlenose pliers, and it really opens it up and takes a lot of the digital edge off.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

A Winner is Jew posted:

Anyone know of any good SD-1 options?

The only two that I've found have been the SD-1W which I think is wildly overpriced for what it is and the MXR M77.

Mostly looking for one that has a much better noise floor, but extra options on things like voicing are a plus.

Just buy one cheap and yank out the C6 capacitor.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

I've had my dd20 for almost 10 years and still don't know what it can do.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

I've also had great success plugging in stereo outputs from a Boss chorus into the two inputs on a Fender Hot Rod amp. While not being true stereo, it is instant Andy Summers tone.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Anyone has a TC flashback 2? I'm looking at one and very interested.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

yeastiality posted:

Is there a name for the style of switches on the TC Nova pedals? (e.g. https://images.reverb.com/image/upl...2ihvdlmaxcx.jpg )

I like how easy they are to activate (as opposed to the normal rigid stompbox switches). I'm hoping to look for a looper that has the same style..

My ehx 720 looper has soft switches

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

I sold mine a while back but it does exactly what it says it does and is a very cool pedal. I miss mine a little honestly.

If you have any questions I can try to answer.

One thing that I'm looking at with the app editor is that I can kinda fudge having presets by adjusting the values in a specific mode. Like if I have the Reverse Delay set for a specific time and wet/dry mix I can just flip the knob to the Reverse mode and have everything come up automatically.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Novum posted:

Tone wars

whoever wins, we lose

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Welp, just plunked down some money on the Strymon NightSky.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Declan MacManus posted:

eventide also dropped a standalone blackhole in a similar form factor to the rose

reverb season fellas

Ambient Autumn 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Alright, I have a metro 24 board but I'm preparing to not play music with other people for another year so I'm thinking of getting a "Kitchen Sink" board. I really like the 24" width, whaddyall rec from pedaltrain?