Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Woodsy Owl posted:

I'm working on a planetarium project and just worked out how to translate right-ascension and declination into Cartesian space.

Many Bothans died to bring us this information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

E, A, and B are part of the C major scale, D major, A minor, etc. Why aren't they highlighted?

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Oh - I didn't notice the highlighted black notes at all. You might want to make it a light color like the white keys?

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Getting very, very close to the release of my next app for iPad. Some action shots:

and of course, 219.theme:

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Cowcatcher posted:

That is pretty sweet, but what does it do?

:downs: It's a multi-touch synthesizer. You're looking at the data display for all the controllers generated by touching the screen. In the third shot you can see the five touches splayed out, with distances and angles drawn in. These shots have all the bells & whistles turned on - normally it only shows which controllers are currently active for the patch you're playing.

More info soon - I'm sooooo close to releasing it. Just wanted to post in this thread while it's still 'in progress.'

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

yaoi prophet posted:

So was I, really nice work.

Yeah, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I love ray tracing. :allears:

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Pfhreak posted:

Next step is seeing if I can't get them to render in 3d. If I can do that, then maybe I can port Alephone to the web.

If I could log on and deathmatch people in Alephone... oh god my productivity... :stare:

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Cukel posted:

Wow, huh, didn't know that was even a thing. :stare:

I've been working on this project for well over a year now. It's a silly web-based text adventure game, with an in-site content creator. You can create game elements with simple forms and have them playable by everyone immediately! :)

I have most of the game functionality in order, and the designer is coming along nicely. Not a lot of content yet as so far I've been doing everything by hand in XML, but once I get the content creator up I might as well crowd-source the entire game, hee hee hee!

Interface looks like complete poo poo since I'm not a web designer but should be usable at least.

That's a fantastic idea, Cukel! I hope it takes off.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

That's cool - post a huge map. Also, I'm pretty sure you procedurally generated the Halo map Sidewinder.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Just a data visualization of values that have a slope applied to them. 2D graphics in iOS.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Redoing the OpenGL code in my iPad app TC-11. Runs at a smooth 60fps! Right now it looks like a rainbow barfed all over the screen. Color updates are next.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

FYI, the smitematter review on your page is a broken link. Also consider including the quotes since I'm less interested in clicking through than just hearing validation (which presumably is honest).

Thanks - fixed the link. There are quotes up at the top of the page. :)

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

These updates are great. It makes me want to drop everything and make video games.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Orzo posted:

I'm glad you like them. Whats stopping you?

Making synthesizers. :)

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Tres Burritos posted:

Oh wow. Had you ever used processing before this? How would you describe the difficulty of getting "up and running" so to speak?

Processing is the best for learning to do this. There are step by step small example code pages right on their site, it even runs in browser. You can copy it into Processing and mess with it to learn. Do it. Go go go go go.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Nibelheim posted:

Apparently the timeframe between "In Review" and "Ready for Sale" can be as little as three hours.
...and as much as three days.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Sir Davey posted:

As a semester project, I have to improve the performance of an already built (in-house) Xylophone playing robot! This is by far the most awesome thing I've ever got to play with.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnRZ_Pj5k5Q

This is just my first test. You can't see in the video but it has 2 arms! I'll keep this topic updated once I get it to actually play something interesting :)

Don't mind the terrible noise, it's not coming from my robot. There's some construction in my lab right now and it's driving me crazy.

Very cool. What's the fastest rhythm it can play? Can you do an insane robotic tremelo?

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Mug posted:

Here's a video of my wife playing Black Annex. It's a really daunting experience watching this kind of thing happen. I was stressing out really bad.
Dude, I know that feeling. Letting my wife play with my app is nerve wracking. I swear if she ever wanted extra income she could be the world's most sought-after beta tester for the way she can crash any app.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Orzo posted:

Added some font stuff.

That's great. I can imagine using the destructible text in a clever way, like changing what an NPC is requesting. "Bring me some cat food."

Also laughed at Wow this is cheesy.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Who in their right mind would choose Arial over Helvetica?

I too suck at font selection...

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Making a nub for better number entry on the iPad. There are three sliding areas for adjusting the value at different scales (1, 0.1, 0.01). Double-tap to reset.

edit: drat that first gif was sped up

Only registered members can see post attachments!

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

crazysim posted:

Ah, inspired by iOS's native video scrubbing where if you drag the bar down, it gets finer! If you want to take further inspiration, you can just use words like that.

Kind of. The actual inspiration comes from NI Absynth, which has three individual chicklets for each degree of control.

Regarding the reversal of the line density: I can see it both ways. I'll have to play around with it.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

I'd like to voice my opinion that dials are a terrible interface for a mouse / touch screen. The best they come are the ones that are really just invisible-vertical-sliders (i.e., they go up and down with vertical touch movement and nothing else). But I cringe when I see you moving in a C-shape just to start the dial turning.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

ATM Machine posted:

I'll add something else on your design as well, this is more my personal perspective more than anything, but the ability to be able to double tap on a controller and input a value specifically would be great.

To me, double-tap should set the widget to its default value. I've gotten used to this in desktop music applications where you can snap the controller back to its original position. But I can see it popping open a text entry + keypad.

Current data entry status: nub + textfield + home grown numeric keypad (for iPad):

not shown: double tapping the nub sets it back to the default value.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

ATM Machine posted:

Quite frustrating changing between the different environments after working for ages on another, though.

This is the big catch: we're turning into dinosaurs. I remember spending a week implementing Tab button functionality into my app to move between textfields. It worked, but eventually I took a step back and considered its usefulness. No user would ever use it when they're so used to just touching the next textfield they want.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

forelle posted:

A quick screenshot of the Mac port of Mari (my baby).

Oh and that's Phil Schiller showing it off with Pixar assets from Monsters University during the WWDC keynote reveal of the New Mac Pro. :clint:

They're really nice machines and It's been a very busy month.

Dude, nice. The in-depth demo of it was amazing.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Tres Burritos posted:

I think this is like 10k cubes or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNdf8tqBO8s

I was pretty proud.

I'm getting a strong Tranquility vibe from this. I wonder what the game would be like if it was made today.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

MIDI controller version of TC-11 (calling it TC-Data) now has a cool message stream on the performance view:

The high speed scrolling isn't that useful, but it is fun to watch. :) I'm going to have a few ways of visualizing the data, including one where the lines stay put so you can actually read them.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Uploaded this to complain about tint colors, might as well post here!

New app: TC-Data is a MIDI / OSC controller, and I've spent tons of time redoing the loading and patch organizing view. One detail is that the whole app will change color based on the user's preferred performance colors.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Tres Burritos posted:

I have no idea what any of that means, but it sure looks awesome! D'you have a video of it running?

You can check out a video of it's sibling app, TC-11 here: https://vimeo.com/66472167 I don't have a video of this one yet; still a ways to go.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Blue Screen Error posted:

Thats cool as hell mate, shame I don't have an ipad. Are all those different patches done with one synth or is it a different synth for each gui bit?

One synth. You can map any of the touch controls (distance, angle, position, device motion, etc.) to any of the synth parameters.

The data is so rich that people want to control other things with it, which is why I'm making TC-Data. You'll be able to play other iOS synths, any MIDI synth, or send OSC to a computer for controlling lighting rigs / animations / 3D models, etc.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

It's wavetable synthesis and FM. The crazyness comes from modulating other parameters, like filter cutoff, delay rates, waveshaper amount, etc., with all the different controllers. No samples - just straight synthesis. You can see some patch creation screenshots here and here. Some day I'm going to throw a granulation engine in there...

After the control app is done, I want to work on a sampler version. I just wish building interfaces didn't take so long! It's seriously 95% of the programming time.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

kayakyakr posted:

That's pretty incredible.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Xerophyte posted:

Context: I'm trying to convert a Phong material (from an old .mtl, even) to a representation that has refraction and is energy conserving.

Pro: it looks p. cool.
Con: it looks nothing like the original material.

Back to the drawing board...

Mmmmm... gummy dragon.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Speaking of glitches, here' one from my iPad controller TC-Data. I looks cooler than its intended display, dammit.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

LFO wave drawing is done, and updates live as they're controlled:

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Mug posted:

Spent the last two evenings making this happen.

Niiiiice. Those kinds of details make such a huge difference.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

ZombieApostate posted:

It's still Saturday on the west coast somewhere, right?

Oops, maybe I shouldn't leave the player control script on all characters...

Ooooh do the players get to fiddle with the control script? That would be great if the game was actually a battle of hockey AI rather than direct control.

Also the generic tube players are growing on me.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Working on my MIDI / OSC controller for iPad, spinoff of TC-11. I'm 1/3 of the way through the new OpenGL visualizations, and here is a go with all the visualizations turned on:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

KoRMaK posted:

drat thats the kind of stuff I've always wanted to make. Music plugins with good visualizations. Are you hiring?

I should be... this is too much work for one person. Kind of wish I had a life.