Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Og Oggilby posted:

There's similar motifs in other films. The original Scarface had the appearance of "X" shapes before a character (or characters) got the works. Scorsese lifted this for The Departed (and just as cleverly implemented).

Hitchcock and Kubrick usually had important scenes happen in a bathroom. For Kubrick, there's the OD scene in Eyes Wide Shut, the end of the first act in Full Metal Jacket, Ripper's end in Strangelove...

The Departed/Scarface thing sounds pretty interesting, do you have screenshots or can you tell me where to find them in the movie so I can check them out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
A friend of mine lives in China and she needs to do a report about movies produced in Hollywood about China or Chinese people over the past hundred years. Does anyone know where I can find a list of movies like this? Thanks a lot.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Does anyone know of any movies, or scenes that are shot in first person?

My friend wrote a script from completely first person and is looking for ideas on how to shoot it. Clips of the scenes would be great, but if not just the names and we can rent them.

P.S. something besides Being John Malcovich.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Criminal Minded posted:

Sessions tipped Gittes off to the water scandal by pointing out the obituary column which leads Gittes to notice that a whole bunch of real estate is being bought in the names of dead or retired people. Presumably she was murdered by Mulwray or his flunkies. As for who called Gittes, I'd guess the same people, as sort of another warning not to gently caress with them. There's also the possibility that they wanted him caught in the house when the detectives showed up, so they could've been springing a trap.

God, I loving love Chinatown. It's got one of those plots that isn't that complicated but every time I watch it, I have to figure it out for myself all over again because there are little things that I don't remember. It's like getting to see it for the first time, every time.

I thought that The cops who were waiting in the bathroom/closet called him because his number was written above the phone and they wanted to see who it was.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
So a friend just told me he saw an awesome trailer that was like a commercial that would be shown in the world of the movie. It was advertising a bomb shelter like it would a vacation. Any ideas?

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
oh well that sucks.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Skwirl posted:

While I don't always agree with him, I can usually tell if I'm going to like a movie based on A.O. Scott's review, him and Manohla Dargis are the main reason I ever pay attention to the New York Times.

If you just want a barometer, rate a couple hundred movies on criticker, you'll start getting decent predictions.

Seconding these two, and I also read David Denby and Dave edelstein.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
I remember being 9 years old and getting dropped off at the theater, my mom suggested Austin powers cause it was "some spy movie". I went and saw it alone and thought it was possibly the best movie ever made.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

JebanyPedal posted:

Which cut of Southland Tales should I see?

The one on Netflix Instant was great.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

MisterBibs posted:

I have a love/hate relationship with that movie. Making movies is fun, but the game is about making successful movies can be mildly-to-significantly annoying.

My question: there's a lot of movies where the power goes out, and we get a huge vista of the city's lights going out. I highly doubt that the producers ask major cities to turn off all their lights, but how do they do it?

Or they build a miniature of the skyline and rig it with little bulbs in the windows that they turn off. Just like the cityscapes in Blade Runner etc.

Im sure now its all CGI

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
H264 is good but prores is the best

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

WastedJoker posted:

There's a lot of books with an unreliable narrator but is there such a thing in film?

Wolf of Wall Street

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

therattle posted:

Digitally shot films can be output into 35mm film but when you register your work with the Library of Congress they just require a DVD.

Weird. DVDs are so low quality though. Is here a reason for that?

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
butthole is such a literal word. Like windshield.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Eggnogium posted:

Haven't seen Lawless or Rolling Thunder, gonna track 'em down. I hadn't really been considering period pieces before but I would say Ain't Them Bodies Saints is another recent example.

How was this?

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
When there is 3/4 production companies in the credits, who did the majority. Is someone giant like village roadshow in the financing distributing parts while the smaller ones are more creative producers? Help me understand!

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

therattle posted:

There is no hard and fast rule but presentation credits are usually taken by financiers and distributors and production credits by companies who helped actually make the film. For example, making up some credits:

Film4 and Screen Yorkshire (bigger investors)
In association with Hanway Films (sales agent/international distributor) and LipSync (smaller equity)

Present

A Heyday Films, Nordisk Films and BAC Films production (3 main production companies assuming co-production)

In association with Element Films (smaller coproducer)
In coproduction with Film I Vast (smaller investor/coproducer)

When one knows what the companies are and what they do one can get a decent idea of how the film was put together by reading the credits.

You also need to review the individual credits to get the full picture.

Thanks! Im trying to find Creative/Production companies to apply to more than Financing production companies so this helps.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It's excellent. Gorgeous cinematography, great, funny script, and the real turning point for him from his previous live-action cinemascope style to his more recent full-frame storybook look. Also the soundtrack is awesome.

Agreed. Fun for all ages

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Lighting could be a factor, so the other actors head doesn't block the light source. I haven't seen the scene though so just going off experience.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Snapchat A Titty posted:

When I watched Master & Commander, the audience applauded when Bettany surgeried himself successfully.

M&C is amazing. I really love that movie

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
There is definitely a start from beginning on Apple TV and PS4.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

bobkatt013 posted:

Fury Road made twice its budget. I do not think it bombed.

Good job pointing out the obvious non answer to a question not asked.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Snak posted:

No, I had only heard of the film through RedLetterMedia's "Half in the Bag" review series. Literally the only place I'd heard anything about the film. It's not surprising to me at all that their opinion was not shared by others, but that's why my original commend was phrased as a question.

HAahahhaa jesus.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Skwirl posted:

Tip for not getting picked on, don't talk about the quality of movies you both haven't seen, or remembered what the reviews said.

Also don't go on RLM. It's trash for trash people

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
I dont get it

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Snapchat A Titty posted:

And he "wins" and is rewarded for his incredibly hosed up behaviour. It's like Revenge of the Nerds basically. If a character does a majorly hosed up thing and is rewarded for it – with no commentary (like in Nightcrawler where the movie itself tells us that he is despicable) – then the movie basically condones their actions.

Are you saying Nightcrawler condones his actions?
Can a movie not show a slice of a hosed up characters life without condoning? I think you have to be able to leave it up to the audience at some point; even if the main reading is incorrect. Just like Wolf of Wall Street

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Snapchat A Titty posted:

I am saying that Nightcrawler does not condone Lou's actions. Read what I posted again.

Sorry! Was not in the right mind.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Criminal Minded posted:

I think Inglourious Basterds is not only his best film but one of the best films ever and essentially perfect.

I love it too

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Does anyone else cry at every movie, when you are on an airplane?

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah I feel like I've heard a lot of podcasts and stuff about it. Here is a segment from This American Life on it: http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/426/tough-room-2011?act=4

Interesting, I'll check them out thanks!

Latest one was Life Itself, about Roger Ebert, although I feel like I would cry at that one anywhere.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
So did they lose funding? Is that why they are on HBO

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Schweinhund posted:

he squinted like 20% more than usual

He was good in h8ful 8. Basically when the script plays to his strengths he fuckin shines.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
He's pumped on Creedance man!

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Ace Ventura ends with a tucked penis reveal, you're going to have to explain that one to the kid.

The Mask is probably a better option, although then you're going to have to explain the whole swing revival of the 90s as well.

Totally didnt get this when I was a kid

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Crappy Jack posted:

I thought she had pooped her pants and that's why everybody was puking. Man, that was not an appropriate movie for children.

So did I!

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Ace Ventura 2?

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Kawabata posted:

Why do Andrew Garfield and Aaron Johnson still have a career, considering they are probably the worst actors of our generation?

Johnson married a 42 yrs old Hollywood director when he was 19(!) so I suppose I can answer that one for myself, but afaik Garfield doesn't have any particular recommendation in the business, reportedly behaves like a spoiled douchebag and still somehow landed a lead role in Scorsese's next movie Silence. He looks terrible in the trailer obviously, color me surprised.

Garfield is a great actor. When I saw him perform with PSH on Broadway in Death of a Salesman he was just as good if not better than Hoffman.

Edit - he was also good in Social Network

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Best 3D movies? I liked Hugo and Avatar.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Forgot about Gravity. Good call

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

EL BROMANCE posted:

With 4K passive 3D, the only drawback to home 3D is the screen size now at least. And the fact the films rarely seem to go on sale. I don't think they suffer from the darkening that you get in the theater either, which is good.

I have an active 3D Tv that's 60" and it looks good. But I've only watched two and never thought of it again.