Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Marvel's Agents of SHIELD.

it's part garbage part good world-building for the MCU.

it's cheesy on the level that shows like Alphas only hoped for.

and yet, here i am cruising thru season 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Blazing thru PERSON OF INTEREST because of this post by Ed Zitron - http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/person-of-interest-was-anti-prestige-tv-and-too-smart-f-1787984705

It's amazing how absolutely right he is about season 1 being mostly forgettable tripe which then evolves over the next two seasons into something really dark and really intelligent.

there's a moment in season 3 where a main character is shot and Finch, racked with panic (and probably a bit of PTSD considering his own past) stands there while trying to decide what to do - answer The Machine's insistent phone ringing behind him or help his friend who is dying.

that's what sold me on this show whole-hog.

drat.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Fleve posted:

It reminded me of Fringe a lot. Both shows initially threw me off because they gave the impression that it's all just going to be a procedural, monster/case of the week kind of thing, with only the occasional glimmer of actual plot.

And then you figure out the plot is intertwined with the weekly stuff and the show moves more and more into plot-heavy episodes and suddenly, before you notice it, you're watching actually great television.

I think that slow-burn quality of it turned a lot of the potential audience off. I mean they still did better numbers than an HBO "prestige" show like Westworld every week for several years, but it was never the blockbuster that other shows were.

Still 5 years is a nice run for something so subversive. It's also delightful to watch Jim Caviezel just kneecapping people in a smooth suit trading quips with Michael Emerson for most of the show.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Brown Moses posted:

I just got through the first season, I'm kinda waiting for a secondary character to remark on the main characters not being miserable gits all the time anymore. I'm not sure if the writing is better or injecting a bit of humour into the show made it better than S1, but I'm watching a least 1 episode a day now instead of a couple a week now, so something is working better. Could be the dog.

Bear is the best. When you meet Shaw and Root that's when the whole thing really cooks.

Fusko does a lot of the comic-relief heavy lifting early on, like saying "Easy on the volume there! No wonder Mr. Sunshine is always in a foul mood!" and his relentless nicknames.

Finch is always Mr. Sunshine or Glasses or Birdman (i think i made that one up) and Reese is Tall Dark and Deranged or Mr. Congeniality. It really makes you appreciate the writing that he doesn't have to explain who he means by his sarcastic nicknames.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Zaggitz posted:

After Finch comes back in early S2 he calls Fusco at one point and Fusco looks at his phone and instead of the typical Dexter style FINCH CALLING Fusco''s phone says "MR GOOD NEWS" and I laugh every time I see it. Fusco is so great.

"every time you call me i know i gotta bring a gun" yeah. he's the secret little heart of the show. new yawk to the core

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Haters Back Off! which is very polarizing. I personally find this kind of humor very fresh and fun, and i think, and this is just speculation, that you're SUPPOSED to hate Miranda and relate to Emily.

It's short at just 8 episodes but frankly just the right length for this. I can see it dragging its feet if it went to 13 or 22 episodes.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Getting caught back up on Handmaid's Tale and it's 5 seasons of misery and Elizabeth Moss staring into my soul. Looks pretty, good cast, still not sold on it keeping going past the end of the book but I guess time will tell

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Hughmoris posted:

How is Yvonne Strahovski in Handmaid's Tale? The only thing I've really seen her in is Chuck, where I thought her and Zachary Levi were terrific together.

She plays a cruel lady very well. Has this tight-lipped performance where it seems like she is holding back anger. Good stuff

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Hell yeah Severance rules. Love John Turturro and Christopher Walken together

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Doom Patrol got it's hooks in early. Alan Tudyk can do no wrong and I love Brandon Fraser.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

mcbexx posted:

I am lagging behind, but I went and sunday-binged Wednesday.
I should probably have spaced it out a bit, because Wednesday's shtick (the character's) grows a bit thin in higher doses.

I know that's her thing and too much character development would ruin her overall, but I would have appreciated a little variance/creativity over smug/morbid one-liners. The opening scene oversold what came in the next ~6 hours in my opinion.

Fun little romp, if not a bit too much by the numbers?

I don't know if decades of tv consumption have ruined me or if it was made that obvious for the audience to figure out, but I called both the identity of the monster and its handler (once the latter was established) fairly early and the (brief) misdirection with the shrink also didn't work for me.

But on the other hand, I only noticed that Christina Ricci was in it when I saw her name pop up in the opening credits of the final episode and I thought she would have a *wink wink* cameo in the end, so I felt really dumb afterwards. Goon face blindness. But in all fairness, I haven't followed her career much and therefore was not exactly familiar with what she looks like now.

Christina Ricci is the 2nd best character in Yellowjackets, so I was very familiar with what she looks like now. Also, watch Yellowjackets, it's a drat fine thriller

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Hughmoris posted:

Who is the first?

Juliette Lewis as present-day Nat.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Alris posted:

The Night Of is a TV show on HBO about a muslim college kid named Naz (Riz Ahmed) doing absolutely everything in his power to get convicted for a crime he didn’t commit. John Turturro is a delight, portraying a defence attorney with horrific eczema and a superhuman ability to resist clasping his hands around his clients neck and squeezing. I lost count at the number of times I buried my head in my hands because of Naz’s efforts to become the Guiltiest Person Ever and make John Turturro’s job harder than it already is but that was half of the fun. If they ever do a second season I’ll for sure check it out.

I think it's a 'limited series' like Chernobyl and won't get more time. It's great and I'm glad it exists at all

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Kalenden posted:

What do you guys think of The Magicians?

I've watched the first 4 episodes and it seems interesting but a slightly too much teenage drama like, not a very likeable main character, and a tad random. Does it improve more?

While it does start strong it drags in later seasons. Still worth a watch, but you may find it a little long on the tooth towards the end

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Kids are watching Ms. Marvel and it's a goofy fun superhero show, but it's also got so much cool Pakistan representation. A major plot point is about the British Partition and how devastating that was, which is something American schoolkids never really learn about. It also shows American Pakistani Muslims in a way that most shows tend to gloss over if not ignore. Much deeper than I thought when we started it

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Have you seen Servant?? Oh my. What a spooky scary ride, full of baffling plot points, classic horror film stuff but long form. Rupert Grint is in it with a goofy American accent, Lauren Ambrose has this manic intensity, it all shouldn't work but does. Produced by M Night Shamalyan and it's better than his last three movies

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Servant Season 3 has a series of left turns that feel like they come out of nowhere, but if you treat all 3 seasons like 3 acts of a horror film, it makes more sense. The finale had my jaw on the floor. Season 4 wraps very soon and there's talk that it's the series finale, which I can totally believe given how weird the show's gotten

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Since the finale just aired we started The Last of Us and it's good but boy for people who played the game they're daring you to point at the TV and go "I know what that means" to your wife/gf over and over

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Hizawk posted:

Banshee and Warrior are basically the safest shows you can recommend to anyone that likes excitement.

In the same vein I'd say Into the Badlands, post apocalyptic Kung Fu / Game of Thrones style epic.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

ShowTime posted:

Richard Jewell is great. Also, the thing I most remember him from: It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Richie the Juggalo. He's a very talented actor and is gonna have a lot of success.

I Think You Should Leave used him best. Jamie Taco stole his lines!

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

EVIL is pretty good for a procedural, got Michael Emerson (LOST, Person of Interest, etc) in it, a Mulder/Scully vibe from the two leads, some weird/gross/funny demon stuff.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Poker Face is a solid neo noir with Natasha Lyonne as the lead and a minor role going to Mountain Goats' John Darnielle. Chloe Sevigny and Adrian Brody and a ton of other game indie actors from the 2000s. Twisty murder plot aside it's just a good time

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Poker Face has been a delightful little murder mystery romp with some great cameos. Columbo 2 in a way, but also very much its own thing.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Any fun series with action, drama, and humor? I love Leverage and Leverage Redemption and I'm looking to fill the void. I don't have HBO, Showtime, or Apple TV.

Person of Interest and Justified often fit that bill, some episodes more than others but they're fun and have a great cast each.

You could also catch some older shows like Chuck, Burn Notice and the newer La Femme Nikita

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Baskets is a brilliant grim comedy that fills the Lodge 49 sized hole in my heart.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Baskets has gone from "laugh at the sad sack wannabe clown" to "I really hope this guy gets help" and that's a neat journey. Zach G is great but Louie Anderson as Christine just continues to be one of the best and most real characters going. RIP king.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Open Source Idiom posted:

May I interest you in Damon Lindelof's... The Hunt?

Amazon's... The Forever War?

The 2020 remake of... The Grudge?

Gilpin's great, but for whatever reason she's been attached to a lot of stinkers. Hope she gets cast in Bryan Fuller's Friday The 13th show though, I reckon she'd be good casting.

and don't forget GLOW on Netflix, she rules in that too

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

I don't know if I updated since starting Yellowjackets season 2 but hooo boy this one goes places.

I gotta give it up to the music supervisor for getting some great period-accurate needle drops, the casting continues to be a strength as Then Misty and Now Misty are so much alike and the mystery box design of the show isn't quite at Lost levels of insane so it's keeping me well fed, so to speak

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

nate fisher posted:

I wasn't that much a fan of season 2 (it did get better towards the end), but the music was great. The last episode killed it with the God is Alive Magic Is Alive and Street Spirit drops. I hope in season 3 they move beyond some of the current storylines, which are by far the weakest part of the show.

Yeah the 90s plot has always been the more interesting and important, it's the real meat of the show (pun intended).

Getting the adult cast in one location will hopefully move the present day stuff forward and I like that it looks like they're getting suckered in by Lottie again 25 years later. Hopefully this parallel continues

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Perestroika posted:

I'm finally getting around to checking out Yellowjackets, and man the blurbs and summaries I've seen so far have really sold it short. Somehow they always gave me the impression it would just be a fairly grounded plain "surviving against the elements" kind of deal. They really should have led with the teenage cannibal cult angle. :v:

That's funny because it was the opposite for me, everyone I talked to lead with the other bit. The real selling point for me is the modern day cast

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Buttchocks posted:

DELETE on Netflix. You find a camera that deletes whoever you photograph from existence. Do you:

A) Become a vigilante superhero who erases corrupt public figures and has to deal with the occasional unintended consequences.
or
B) Go on a thrilling and dangerous adventure to discover the mysterious origins of this and possibly other mysterious artifacts that are all connected somehow.
or
C) Wallow in moody drama as you consider erasing lovers/friends/relatives/yourself.

Sorry, it's C. Also the pacing and line delivery is painfully, egregiously slow. Do yourself a favor and watch it on 1.5x speed, if you watch it at all.

Option B sounds like that short lived series The Lost Room, which ruled and was my entre into SCP type stuff (and predated Warehouse 13 by a few years)

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Ran across an around 15 year old show called The Dresden Files. I listened to several of the Jim Butcher books on long drives and they're pretty fun. Kind of a campy noire style with a PI who happens to be a wizard. For the most part he's interacting with "normal" people who don't believe magic is a thing and think he's just a weirdo.

This show, however, is not great and I'm not surprised it only ran for one season. I'm usually all over supernatural crime shows (Lucifer, iZombie, etc) but woof. It also feels lower budget than it probably is.

Dresden Files flopped hard and they didn't learn anything when they did a Constantine/Hellblazer TV series. That one also had the same cheap SyFy show feel, which is a drat shame because the guy they got to play Constantine was really good

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

LOST's creators also explicitly stated early on that the the show's mysteries had "scientific or pseudoscientific" explanations and obviously the ending did not fall into that category.

Re-watching LOST with the kids and I think the creators were just blowing smoke - sometimes literally. There's always been supernatural explanations all around, disguised under layers of Dharma Initiative

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Elias_Maluco posted:

I believe they wanted it, but they wrote themselves into a corner and at the end nothing could explain all that but.. magic

Remember that the smoke monster was supposed to be a “security system” or something, but at than at the end it was the bad guy all along (and so nothing it did on the early season makes any sense at all)

that can be hand-waved as the people coming to the island being lied to by the Hanso Foundation about the true nature of things, Esau's influence, etc. Like the Others after killing all of Dharma had only what Dharma and Jacob said to go on and I'd imagine Jacob wouldn't mention Esau/Smokey. So they took the Degroot/Hanso/Dharma explanation at face value not realizing that the smoke was sentient, especially since Ben can be seen summoning it in a later episode. (It seemed to have some level of sentience earlier as it let Locke and Mr. Ecko survive despite killing the pilot) .. look, i'm not saying it's not clunky, but it works in-universe

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Reservation Dogs is solid gold. Taika waititi projects for TV are hit or miss for me. I sorta liked Our Flag Means Death but it kinda screwed itself once Blackbeard joined up. What We Do In The Shadows rules, so that's 2/3 thus far.

Res dogs has some great young kids for performers, some hilarious episodes and some Heartbreakers, and some of the best First People representation ever. They even blur out the eyes of owls in episode 3 because they're seen as a bad omen

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Lotus Aura posted:

Nearly finished season 1 of House of Cards and I was genuinely surprised to see how casually Frank Underwood was while seemingly spur-of-the-moment planning and ultimately murdering Peter Russo with carbon monoxide poisoning. You could see the gears in his head turning as the scene was progressing during the whole conversation in the car, so it didn't completely come out of nowhere but still one heck of a step up compared to everything else so far.

The opening of Season 2 is another one of these moments, which I won't spoil but.. wow

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

MokBa posted:

I got invited to see Joe Pera do standup this weekend so I decided to finally watch Joe Pera Talks with You to prep for it. Holy hell what an incredible show. I watched the entire first season last night and would tear up at the most innocuous moments. The time it happened was this delivery:

"Watching liquids flow from a large container, to a small container, is a delight."

I now understand why people like ASMR. Just an incredibly wholesome and calming show that still has me busting out laughing several times at ep. Pera has found the perfect combination of Young Child + Old Man in a millennial's body. Like Doctor Who's introverted cousin.

The entire episode about discovering The Who's "Baba O'Reilly" is probably a series high for this sort of thing. Just hilarious with him inviting the pizza guy in, dancing and then trying to wrestle a slice of pizza away from his dog all within 30 seconds. Brilliant.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Speaking of Always Sunny, caught up on The Mick and while it's a sitcom and it's sometimes a little hack, it's a nice easy greasy laugh but boy Kaitlin Olson does tend to play the same character in stuff huh

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

"How To" with John Wilson is a ride. One of the only comedies to get pandemic humor right and a great addition to the Nathan Fielder cinematic universe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Veronica Mars is a better show than I remember in the early seasons at least. The revival didn't help my opinion of the show but rewatching early episodes and it's got its hooks in deep