Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Is there any reason to play EVE that is not harassing people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

zVxTeflon posted:

What could you possibly have taken from the vaults of guilds that are stupid enough to fall for that. I cant imagine guilds that lovely have anything of value.

Just about anyone can clear Karazahn these days, and it only takes like 275 Enchanting to shard epics. Enchanting mats are hugely profitable.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

How do you manage to pull a bunch of stuff from the bank without somebody going "Hey, fucker, what do you think you're doing?"

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Seriously, we want to hear griefing stories. Don't tease us, just type them up and share the hilarity.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Necronomiconomist posted:

SS13 has come up many times in this, but I've tried to develop a nonlethal method of griefing. Sure, killing people is easy and fun, but it's much better to get the station in a furious uproar until they hunt you down and brutally murder you for your transgressions.

Back on the old maps, characters would spawn in naked, and have to clothe themselves. It was a simple trick to take all the clothing out of the start area, and this soon led to gathering all the clothing on the station, and ejecting it out the mass launcher. When Security was ordered to kill me, I systematically tazed anyone I came across, only to steal their jumpsuit and make my escape.

It's a joy to see people coming to blows or searching for corpses to hide their nakedness.

Picking one resource in SS13 and cornering the entire supply of it is always good for a laugh.

Welding the entire station into lockers and logging out is kind of classic, as well.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

F201 posted:

Who cares how lame and boring it is? If you're griefing, the goal is to piss people off. Cheats work a peach - in fact, so well that you're seeing it extend into this very thread!

Besides that, cheating can be a great tool in assisting actual, creative griefing. For example, a while ago when I was playing CS 1.6, a guy with an aimbot and speed hack stabbed me and the rest of the team in the face within the first half a second of the round, and then zoomed around the map at a ridiculous speed, untouchable, until the 5 minute timer ran out. That's pretty hilarious.

There's no creativity or humour to that, just "haha I cheated". Big whoop. A second grader can do that. Technically it counts as griefing, but who cares? It's not fun to read about and it's boring.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Wait, can other players actually tell your IP address? Linden isn't <i>that</i> stupid, are they?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Oh, I didn't believe for a second that it was a credible threat, I just thought it was possible, given how lovely Second Life is, that other users could see your IP address.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

ignore this.

Pope Guilty fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jul 14, 2008

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

AuMaestro posted:

What a shame.

Maybe I'll get the TF2 if there are lots of team damage servers, though. In TFC, I loved being a spy and going into the enemy's sniper spot. After clearing it out, I'd disguise myself as an enemy sniper and wait to get picked off. Unfortunately, I couldn't do the zoom in animation, but they always took the bait if I did a good job acting.

You might look into Fortress Forever, which was intended to be TFC: Source, kind of.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

PenguinBob posted:

I pretty much ripped off Announcer Jim and started doing it in TF2 servers. It's especially fun when you combine it with the battlement teleporter on 2fort servers so you can read the inevitable "ANOUNCER MOVE YOUR FUCKIN TELE" complaints back to the snipers in an overly enthusiastic "SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY" voice.

Adding the "echo" would be sweet.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

One More Sunday posted:

I was playing Garry's Mod on a pubbie server last night, on gm_atomic. This particular iteration of Atomic had a special feature causing nuclear emissions to go off every ~5 minutes or so, killing anyone above ground.

Barricading the various buildings closed from the inside, and watching people panicking as they tried in vain to open them as the lethal emissions descended is quite possibly the funniest activity I've ever performed in a game.

There was an HLDM level where you could call down airstrikes. Killing people with the airstrikes was awesome.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Red_Mage posted:

World of Warcraft has an early level raid in TBC called Serpent Shrine Caverns. The easiest boss therein is the Lurker Below, a leviathan that has to be fished up from a circular atoll. To keep the fight interesting he spins in circles with a water spout, and if you are not underwater, the spout hits you and you will die. To prevent you from staying underwater the entire time, the water applies a dot that ticks for about 700 a second.

One of our shaman healers realized she could apply waterwalking to herself and res people out standing on the water, not taking damage. Of course everyone she ressed (she was downranking her spell to ensure low health levels) was instantly killed by falling in the damage water. She got more than half the raid before we figured out what she was doing.

I'd be so torn between "What the gently caress are you doing?" and laughing too hard to be upset.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Wait, so those guys in high school were just griefing me?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Giganticus posted:

Here's my new favorite: only a slight movement is required to incapacitate someone with a physics object. A tank punching a car blocking a door frame might not notably move it but it might move slightly forward an inch or so, and any stupid survivor standing behind it will receive a slight tap that will cripple and knock them to the floor. So...

That's Havok for you. There's a fight in Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines where you chase a serial killing vampire around a junkyard while he throws cars at you, and getting too close to an apparently still car can reduce you instantly to ash.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Spanish Matlock posted:

-Running through the level and knocking all of the upgraded weapons off the tables so that the survivors pass them by

I had no idea this was possible!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

flatluigi posted:

That'd be about four hours every day, assuming he doesn't play more on the weekends than on weekdays. It's a bit much, but not unheard of.

Most of the really hardcore WoW players I know don't play that much.

(I may not know terribly hardcore WoW players.)

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Nova, is there a way to set up radial menus for that rather than having to bind every conceptblock to a key?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Novasol posted:

Yes, actually. You can go to steam/steamapps/common/left4dead/left4dead/scripts and edit RadialMenu.txt to accommodate whatever vocals you want. That will have the default radial menus in there, you can either change those, or make new radial menus. To do that, I'd just copy/paste one of the existing ones to use as a template, but change the name and the vocals it's calling on. For example, change "Orders" on the first one to "Francis" in your new copy of the radial menu). Then, you'll open the console ingame and bind the radial to a key. The format is bind key "+mouse_menu Radialnamehere"

I'm sorry if that's confusing - if it is, I'll post an example of what I mean.

Nah, made perfect sense. Thanks!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

The most fun I think I've ever had on Team Fortress 2 was when I managed to join the third team, Unassigned. It only works on certain maps and then only on servers that have no respawn time. It has to be pretty much completely instantaneous -- if it lingers long enough to start following another one of your teammates, it's too long a delay. Even then, I think it's mostly fixed by now, and I've only ever found one server that it worked on. It was so goddamn fun though that I would host my own server just to be able to do it again.

When you play on Team 3, you can attack and kill ANY player on any team. Also, you look to them like you are their team's color, so they generally won't attack you. This makes for some very confusing moments, especially because the players are so ingrained in the "you're either with us or against us" mentality.
Further bonuses included:
* No sentries target you. This allows you to beat a sentry to death with your melee weapon while the engineer looks on, confused. By the time he realizes what is happening, it's too late.
* Pyro flames will not hurt you. At the least, one side's flames won't. The other team might. A confused, panicking pyro fighting at close range with no flamethrower is hilarious. It also means they'll take longer to notice you since it invalidates the main spychecking asset Pyros have.
* Downsides are that your pyro flames are only half-effective, as are your sentries. Being able to build a sentry that attacks ANYONE would've been gold.

I can't even describe how much fun it is to jump up onto a 2Fort battlement, kill a scout that's coming in over the bridge while all the snipers look on, and then start killing them in their utter confusion as soon as they drop their guard. They'll see you kill the scout, so they'll go "oh, he's on our team". Then you hit them in the face with your bat and they freak out and cannot reconcile what is going on.

My favorite quote of all when I first started:
"Hey, that spy's cheating, he's shooting!"
"Also how is a spy using a scatter gun??"

Goddamn I wish I hadn't been banned after just an hour or so. Or I wish I could find a server this still worked on.

How exactly do you manage this? Hit m to teamchange between the end of the killcam and the beginning of the team follow?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Aranan posted:

The best part was the one guy started bitching at us after he died, then came back and picked up another rod and killed himself again.

This is spectacular.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Sanctum posted:

Brilliant, spawn-blocking and infecting teammates in spawn. Indubitably the most creative and hilarious griefs to ever grace the game, if only TFC had friendly fire so you could just teamkill instead, hilarity! :jerkbag:

There were some great ways to grief on TFC though. On 2fort I liked to go sniper and intentionally snipe my teammates off the battlements, since in TFC a fully charged sniper shot will strip a teammate of armor and send them flying without damaging their health.

Now before steam, I don't think F10 would quit but the dumb answer to any question was always Alt+F4. Instead I tried to trick players into typing unbindall in the console, because my 12-year-old self was dumb enough to get tricked into doing just that and it was the cruelest poo poo ever. Your mouse still looks around, but you can't move or shoot or even hit ESC to quit the game. They have completely locked themselves out of their own computer until they either figure out how to Ctrl+Alt+Del or reset their computer. Cue me dancing around the now immobilized player and shooting him out of spawn with a sniper rifle so he can watch himself get killed.

I'll never know what they would have typed if they were able to, but I immensely enjoyed imagining what it would be.

Relatedly, getting people to put "bind mouse1 kill" in the console of GoldSrc games was endless fun. "Oh, looks like someone shot you just as you were about to shoot! Better luck next time!"

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Doesn't Evony require you to pay money to chat?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The Lost Levels posted:

If you found the right place, you could not be found and just stare at a wall so they couldn't figure out where you were :v:

Also, when I hid in the map called "Facility," they couldn't find me anyway, since they didn't know about the ultra-secret places where you could literally walk through walls. To this day, I have only found a few people that still know about them.

I only knew about the walls in Complex. Where are the spots in Facility?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

When I think of iSketch, I think of this:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Dreggon posted:

:words: about Kingdom of Loathing

I haven't played KoL in years, but that was pretty easy to follow. Excellent time-reward ratio.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Related to the WoW /spit story, WoW does not have the ability to steal from other players. Rogues have a Pick Pockets skill, but it only works on mobs. Still, early in the game before people knew what was going on, you could inspire massive rage by saying "/me picks your pockets, stealing 14 silver and 57 copper!"

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Kerbtree posted:

Since we're on about WoW addons - some years ago now, goon Lemon King:

im nt posting wif a
mark on my head

wrote an addon. A wonderful addon. You see those flashy symbols? Players in control of a party of players, or a raid (a party-of-parties) could put those symbols over monsters or hostile players to help tell your team what to do. Shoot square, trap triangle etc.
Oh, and you could put them over friendlies, too. At some point it was patched that non-party leaders could also set the marks. Cue Lemon King writing an addon that, by it's final version, makes the things cycle like demented disco lights, a single mark skips around the group, everyone except one single player gets marked etc.
The effect on the playerbase was fantastic. Rage, paranoia and YELLING THAT THEY'RE NOT MOVING AN INCH WHILE THEY'VE GOT THIS MARK ON THEIR HEAD!!!!! There was an entire thread stuffed with screenshots in the WoW forum that someone with a better memory than I might be able to find.

Eventually, Blizzard quietly snuck into a patch the (default-on) option to show who was setting marks.:orks:

IconHell was glorious. You could troll people totally passively! The best part was that showing who was setting marks was only default-on for new characters and new WoW installs, which meant that IconHell kept working undetected by 99% of the WoW population for weeks. Then Blizzard rate-limited icon changes and now IconHell doesn't work. Hell of a ride where it lasted.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Diplomaticus posted:

Sounds like he griefed you.

I get the impression that playing DOTA/LOL is griefing everybody else who plays.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

FuzzyPickles posted:

Even better is one of the raids, The Argent Tournament. The raid isn't really a dungeon, its a string of boss battles in a colosseum while an audience watches, but for the last boss The Lich King shows up and shatters the floor, dropping players down into tunnels to fight the last boss. Like most drops, the entire raid falls into water. A death knight bestows his water walking aura to the whole 25 man raid group and mobs of people all go splat.

To top it off, when your raid group fails on the boss and has to run back into the instance, they zone in up in the air and have to drop again. So if you can be the first one back you can stand down on the water with the aura turned on while your own guild members run in and suicide.

This kind of damage, by the way, causes durability damage on people's gear. People doing the fight at that point had lots of nice gear that had a nice repair bill to go with it, and even though it really wasn't that much gold, some people rage over that kind of thing.

In Goon Squad, this was known as the Water Boss, and dying to it would get you mocked on Vent.

I read awhile back about a rogue who'd play Two-Face in a low-level Alliance zone in WoW. See, WoW has a fishing profession, and if you fish in the fountain in the city of Dalaran, you can fish up coins with names of various lore characters on them. Fish them all up, a painfully long process, and you get an item that does a heads or tails emote. So the rogue would stealth up to a lowbie, stun them, use the item, and either kill them or pat them on the head and vanish depending on whether they got heads or tails.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I don't think anybody's going to top "I killed an entire game".

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

What is GAF GOLD?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Didn't WoW Warlocks' Doomguard summon used to kill one of the people assisting in the summons?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Phanatic posted:

There was plenty of portal action, trying to get pubbies to click on them so they'd leave the battle and let more of your queued guild members in, but it was ridiculously easy to just make a macro along the lines of:

"BakedMage420 has marked you afk and you will be removed from the battleground! Type /afk to remove the flag and continue playing!"

And just spam it in chat. It took a while for the playerbase to catch on to this, and it never stopped working entirely, but when it was new you might catch a dozen people. And Blizzard at one point implemented a deserter debuff, which meant that if you /afked out of a battleground you couldn't join another one until the debuff wore off in 15 minutes.

And of course nowadays, pulling the "type /afk!" trick will get you a tempban.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I seem to recall that it was also possible to get there with water walking and speed buffs.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

In World of Warcraft, if you go Away From Keyboard during a battleground (an instanced PVP scenario), you're automatically kicked out and can't queue up for another until about 15 minutes have passed. This is mostly to punish people for taking up space in the battleground and leeching credit for kills.

Thing is, you can get the AFK status either by idling for ten minutes or by typing /afk. Either one will kick you out.

It used to be popular to spam in battleground chat some variation on "[user] has been reported Away From Keyboard! Type /afk to vote to kick!"

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Kessel posted:

It's pretty nifty! We discovered the other day that we had collectively racked up so many terms of service violations that a GM now sits full-time in our chat channel watching for violations.

Yes, let me say that again. Perfect World Entertainment is paying one of its GMs to spend all his working hours in our chat channel to watch for terms of service violations, because we accrue more of those than the rest of the playerbase combined.

This is the best thing in the thread. I wonder how much that guy makes an hour.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

I believe that, despite all the evidence, you may be too stupid to post.

He edited that in later. I saw it before the edit and couldn't tell what the gently caress he was talking about.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Just Google for Age of Wushu unlimited play keys- mmosite had like 200 keys left a couple of hours ago when I got one. Hit the button on the website to buy the game, hit the Activate button, put in the key, and you've got unlimited play for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

CAPSLOCKGIRL posted:

I'm an Australian, and for the past however many years, I've been playing the heavily censored version we got of L4D2, where zombies disappear instead of taking damage, and when they run through fire, they don't catch fire, they simply begin to act like they're in a rave, before suddenly expiring. But apparently they kept all the content in the game files instead of deleting it and just changed the code a little, and today I discovered a utility (I had never looked before) that unlocks all the locked content.

Then I discovered the fantastic slashed up zombie models when you kill a zombie with a bladed weapon, like a machette or a katana.

Now I almost exclusively use melee weapons (As soon as I can get my hands on a good one), much to the chagrin of my team-mates. What makes it worse for them is that I've become pretty good at it and can hold off hordes of zombies in random horde events or when someone gets boomed, I never have to run for ammo in finales, I've always got plenty for the Tanks or Special Infected... people are always getting mad at me for playing the game the 'wrong' way, then I'm saving their rear end.

Am I griefing, or am I having to much genuine fun while playing, because of the game, to be griefing?

Your teammates are idiots and you should keep on keeping on.

• Locked thread