Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

MageMage posted:

I'm not sure but I think an in-game funeral was griefed before being held for a real person that died.

There was: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_og14JAlBk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Code Jockey posted:

I used to be able to anger people by ubering engineers, sad that doesn't work anymore either

Thinking about playing a new angle but I'm not really sure what to do, what are some still-effective TF2 griefs beyond just combat medic-ing

I heard some engineers get yelled at for bad turret placement but that's bush league
I still stick to the classics, grief wise.

I usually go pyro and stand in front of snipers, flamethrower blaring all the way. This fucks with their aim and they get mad. Everyone knows that snipers are spy food, I just tell the guy that I'm watching out for him because he's the MVP and what he does matters. No spy is going to kill our trump card. Not if I have anything to say about that.

Sometimes I like to try sneaking teleporter entrances next to snipers who are too occupied scoping to notice. The exit is usually located near the intel if the map allows. I just tell him I saw a spy going for it and he needs to head the spy off with some jarate action.

There's also the shooting gallery. On 2fort, simply get a dead ringer ready, and disguise as a friendly sniper. Then just gently caress around on the balcony and get shot at. The other snipers rage so hard when the match ends and they see that their score hasn't budged an inch.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I just remembered an Engineer classic: Goatseporting. It's simple, just make a custom spray of the goatman, spray it somewhere inconspicuous and miles away from the action, and drop a teleporter exit facing it.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Slappy Moose posted:

Nonono. You make the teleporter in a very useful location, so people want to keep taking it, but it faces some horrible spray.
:eng101:

That one's good too. I've always found inconvenience to be a great source of anguish however. Either way works. People are gullible as hell when you tell them "okay for real guys this tele goes to the cart im serious."

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

Stand next to a Huntsman sniper and constantly blast him with flames. You light his arrows on fire, you're just helping! :haw:

vvv: If you just puff, no big deal, but if you keep a nice stream of flame right in front of him he can't really see

I just place teleporter exits out on the middle of nowhere and look for a sniper who pretty much stays in one spot, scoped the entire time. Then I just build an entrance right next to him and wait for him to step over it.

When they bitch at me I tell them they're the team's #1 asset and a spy snuck past everybody and he's the man for the job.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Time for another WoW story, around the BC-era. I played a Protection Warrior, and was tanky as all hell. My friends and I would frequently fire up ventrilo and queue for Alterac Valley and just generally screw around, back-capping graveyards and towers, all that nonsense. It got a few pubbies riled up but nothing terribly interesting. Victory in Alterac Valley meant killing the enemy general and his warmasters. Being in full PvE gear, I was the most suited for tanking them, soaking damage while everyone chipped away at their health. At the time we couldn't really think of a unique was to annoy people via the NPCs. We dedcided to mess with people via dialogue instead. We didn't want to do the obvious and just spout off offensive stuff to rile people up.

I decided some RP was in order. Thus was born the Alliance's greatest hero: OG THE ORC TANKER. I elected myself the supreme commander of the Alliance offensive within Alterac Valley. I would issue all of my orders, imitating the stereotypical caveman while doing so.

"MEAN ORC SAY BAD THINGS ABOUT OG AT ICEBLOOD! OG SMASH ORC! FRIENDS HELP OG HURT NASTY PERSON!"

"OG WANT NEW FRIENDS TO MAKE ICEBLOOD TOWER HOT! FOLLOW OG TO FUNNY LEG-HUT!"

"HORDE POKING GOOD FRIEND VANDAAR STORMPIKE SO OG YELL AT THEM TO GO HUG AND APOLOGIZE!"
(At the time there was an exploit where the Horde could attack the Alliance Commander without engaging the Warmasters, which are very powerful NPCs. Warriors have a skill called Intimidating shout, which would send a group of enemies running in fear, usually within aggro range of the warmasters, who would wipe out the lot of them effortlessly. This would reset the Alliance Commander, healing him to full.)

Some people found this poo poo hilarious, others just put me on ignore, and some people absolutely flipped the gently caress out. I had people screaming at me to shut up, threats of reports, etc. Usual pubbie rage. OG didn't care. OG was a team player and only wanted what was best for the Alliance.

"OG FRIEND NEED TO FOLLOW OG TO TOWER. OG SCARE MEAN ORCS, FRIEND PUT FLAG BACK UP!"

"OG NOT AFRAID OF WARMASTER. HEALER MAKE OG SHINY, OG SMASH WARMASTER!"

"OG NOT AFRAID OF SPOOKY STAB ORCS! OG SMASH SNEAKY ORCS, OG FRIEND GUARD FLAG UNTIL OG FRIENDS MAKE ICEBLOOD TOWER HOT!" (Warriors had offensive shouts, which could reveal cloaked Rogues/Druids. If you were Human, you also had increased Stealth Detection.)

OG could also be a passive-agressive shitstain, but some people found him so lovable they encouraged it.

"WHY CALL OG BAD PLAYER? OG FOCUSED, NOT SLEEPING IN OG'S CAVE LIKE <Player's Name>! NEW FRIEND COULD PAY HALF OG RENT IF WANT TO NAP IN CAVE." (The cave was the default spawn-point. If you frequently spawned here, you were losing.)

"DREK'THAR NO KILL OG! OG TAKE NAP! HEALERS TAKE NAP, YAWN CONTAGIOUS, SO OG SLEEP TOO!"

"OG NOT MAD AT TEAM FOR LOSING. OG JUST DISAPPOINTED."

It got so bad sometimes my friends wouldn't be able to play from the laughter. Sometimes players would make alts on my realm to give me poo poo. I've gotten death treats, threats to be "hacked" because I ruined his PvP experience. Some would make alts just to hang with me so they could get the full OG experience. The thought never occurred to me to grab a club and some loincloth looking vestments to nail the image, but I liked the idea of a caveman so competent and determined that he would emerge from raid groups covered in epic gear.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 1, 2012

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I got some of this in TF2. I stopped playing right before they introduced hats. I picked it up again a few months later, and had some angel halo in my inventory. Apparently I got it for not going cheating or cheesing my way into crafting items or something. All I know is after I put it on people would freak the gently caress about it, calling me an rear end in a top hat and accusing me of sucking Valve's dick. I will never understand how people can so mad about internet items, let alone some silly rear end hat.

That was when they added the random drop system too, and was the only way to get hats at the time. You were also only allotted X amount of items per week. Eventually someone wrote a program that would keep you logged in without actually running TF2 (I'm guilty of this, I wanted that loving Fedora for my Spy), so you could fire it up, go about your business, and come back at a later time to see what you got. Valve was like "aww hell naw," disabled the use of the program with a patch, temp banned a bunch of people, removed items etc. They gave halos to everyone who didn't use the program, it was their way of saying "thanks for not cheating for pixellated hats, here's a pixellated hat!"

So anyone who's mad over that is just pouty because they got caught red-handed with nothing to show for it. Wear your Halo good sir, wear it proudly; you have an innate opportunity to grief people for just being in their presence!

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

King Zog posted:

I only have a minor grief which I am not sure even works anymore.
In World of Warcraft, you can get several mounts which all have some kind of special animation and sound if you stand still and click on space. Running while clicking on space makes the mount jump.

Anyways, the grief lies in the horse, camel or goat mounts specificially because these mounts makes some horrible noise if you stand still and click on space. The key is to shift quickly between running, stopping, clicking on space and repeat. This will make the mount make a bombardment of horrible sounds and will spam players with the mount sound if they have their game sound on.

Reminds me of a common WoW grief, but one that's never not hilarious. I loved having an Elekk (Space Elephant) mount because they were loving HUGE. If you chugged Winterfall Firewater/Halloween Candy it would further increase your size as your mount scaled with you. Then I would park over a popular NPC, usually an epic vendor, and just AFK. People would be unable to interact with the NPC and I would get slammed with report threats because people were unable to exhange 5 marks of the bear rear end (awarded for harvesting many bear asses) for a giant fuckoff sword.

All players had to do was enable nameplates (Shift+V) by default and they could use the NPC by clicking that instead of the model.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Infinite Monkeys posted:

In BF2 enough C4 on the tail made helicopters do a 180 degree frontflip. Good luck recovering from that :v:

Who needs explosives? I would always hang out near the transport choppers before they lift off and toss a flashbang as soon as it's off the ground. The pilot would spaz the gently caress out and go belly up or slam into a radio tower or something.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

When I played Starsiege: Tribes there was a mod for it called Annihilation. Annihilation did several cool things to the game because the dude who wrote it was a programming wizard who knew exactly how to flip the game on its head. In addition to a very wide variety of explosives-heavy weaponry, you could call in dropships, erect a jail, plant a very wide variety of automatic and manual defenses, and much of it never checked for collision detection unless it was within range of a static object that came stock with the map, so you could use your deployables to gently caress with other deployables.

Here are a few of my favorite griefs:

Laser Turret Sniping - Among the wide variety of deployable turrets, the most broken was the laser Turret. It looked like a small surveillance camera, had near-infinite range, locked nearly instantly, and could 1-hit kill everyone but heavy classes, which left them with just enough HP to not survive the other 1000 laser turrets complementing that one. Now, on the server I frequented, it was a house rule that you weren't allowed to deploy turrets on the enemy half of the map, which seemed fair because despite being capture the flag, every game almost always devolved into a pissing match to see which team can infest their base with the most bullshit impenetrable defenses, and it took a highly concentrated effort to break that. What a lot of players didn't know though, was that at a command console, you can manually control any deployed turret belonging to your team. I would deploy a turret out in the middle of nowhere, but still within view of all the chaos going outside, and pick off players the instant they fluttered out of their base. Most of these players fly predictably and are easy pickings. Players weren't used to being zapped by laser turrets that weren't plastered all over the enemy base, so when I started to break the status quo and lock down their base with a puny but highly lethal laser turret, I was constantly being raged at and people were always trying to votekick me despite technically not breaking any of the rules. I managed to get banned from 3 other servers for doing this.

Spectator nuking - Remember how I mentioned that Annihilation games boiled down to turret-farming pissing contests? Well, angry players who felt that turrets broke the spirit of the game (which they did) would teamkill those turrets. Teamkilling a turret gave you a warning, and repeating that behavior would autoban you from the server for 48 hours. Unfortunately, the game only ran that check on members of your own team, and any objects created by a player would persist under any condition. If you deployed something and left the game, it would still be there. If you fired a shot and went to spectator, that projectile would persist until it hit something. See where I'm going here? I found a way to demolish my own team's defenses without getting autobanned. There was an armor class called the Titan, and one of its available weapons was the Mini-Nuke launcher, which is exactly how it sounds. It launcher mini nukes that would persist for about 6 seconds before going off, but the reload speed was about 2.5 seconds. I would launch two nukes and swap to spectator mode before they exploded. Anyone and anything caught in the blast was disintegrated, and I don't acquire any teamkill warnings since the killfeed would just turn up a blank where the killers name would go. I would constantly do this, sometimes to both teams. Only one person ever figured out what I was doing and he joined in too.

Jail Time - Another feature of Annihilation centered around sabotage. There was a class called the Chameleon which functioned much like TF2's spy class, except attacking people didn't drop your disguise. You had a chance to instantly kill people just by coming into contact with them, but it was a low chance. Their purpose was to sneak in, plant explosives, and blow up as much poo poo as they could. To make planting bombs easier, there was a feature called Jailing. First, you needed to erect a Jail Tower, which was easy enough. You could place them anywhere on the terrain. ANYWHERE. I frequented the out of bounds grid, which bounced you back when you touched it. If you found a way past it, it would slowly melt your health away. You could plant these towers on the other side of the out of bounds grid, which I did. I would find the most remote corner of the map and set up shop. To jail people, you just had to zap people with the Jail Gun. It fired tiny arcs of lightning that would instantly warp your victim into jail. Since Chameleons didn't break cover, you could just waltz into a turret-infested base like you owned it, and jail everybody unfortunate enough to cross your path. Being jailed lasted 60 seconds where they couldn't do anything except wait, and people would completely lose their poo poo since suiciding and team-switching was disabled inside, and I mean rage-fueled incomprehensible madness, like they had forsaken all humanity and have been reduced to the mindset of a frenzied chimp. There was no cooldown or grace period after begin jailed either, once someone got out of jail, they'd be forced to slowly die as they were out of bounds, or commit suicide to get back to their base to spawn, only for me to be there waiting with the Jail Gun waiting to send them back. People could be broken out of jail by having an unjailed teammate press a switch on the outside of the jail tower, but that's why I placed them out of bounds. If you were a jailer, your entire experience consisted of nerdrage, racial slurs, votekick attempts, etc. My clan had people registering to our forums in droves to bitch us out because I liked jailing. And it was considered kosher by the admins, because the reasoning was "shoot the Chameleon before he jails you, dipshit."

I have a few other Annihilation griefs, I'll write them later.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 29, 2014

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Sometimes I would park a laser turret outside to zap them when their time was up. To be even more dickish I would just hang outside the cell and re-jail them when the timer ran out.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Speaking of Developer Grief, I'm sure a lot of people are familiar with World of Warcraft's Doom Lord Kazzak. In Vanilla WoW, Kazzak was a world boss who pretty much remained in one region called the Blasted Lands. He was entirely killable by a coordinated raid, but with one caveat, if a player died, he would regenerate a ridiculous amount of HP instantly which hosed any attempt to kill him since you had 3 minutes to drop him before he went apeshit and killed everything. He also had two particular attacks designed to harm a large gorup of players at once, a volley of shadow bolts, and turning spellcasters into living bombs. This seems pretty fair for a boss located in an area where only high-leveled players can thrive.

You might ask, how is this developer grief? Well, prior to the release of World of Warcraft's first expansion, Burning Crusade, Blizzard (the developer) made a carbon-copy of Lord Kazzak called Highlord Kruul. Highlord Krull was identical to Kazzak in every single way, except for one thing: Blizzard unleashed this crazy bastard on certain leveling areas, in addition to the Capital Cities for both factions, Horde and Alliance. These Capital Cities were hubs for players of all levels to buy/sell stuff, work on professions etc. So you've got an extremely dangerous boss capable of turning anyone it sees into a living bomb, while sending out an enormous volley of shadowbolts that ignore line-of-sight. This rampaging monstrosity was mowing down fields of lower-level players, and being healed to full each time he did it. Even the endless swarms of guard-NPCs couldn't dent his health. Each time he loosed a volley everyone under maximum level dropped like flies, which upped their repair bills on damaged equipment. Players were being slaughtered in their economic hub on a daily basis, losing money, and there was nothing they could do about it until they corpse-hopped a safe distance away from the boss. Players were pretty much forced to congregate in remote, backwater capital cities miles away from anything relevant until the event ended.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Feb 17, 2014

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I just remembered another WoW grief. When Burning Crusade went live, Hunters received a skill called Misdirect. How it worked was you targeted an ally, and when you shot an enemy, the monster would chase after your ally instead. It was a good skill for gluing the scary poo poo to your beefiest meat-shield sooner. This worked on anyone as long as they were in your party.

There are a million factions run by NPCs in this game which offer reputation grinds for certain rewards. Most of them begin as neutral, and as long as you stay neutral, you can flag that faction as hostile and freely kill the NPCs at a penalty of losing reputation. Neutral NPCs never throw the first punch, and have no aggro radius. One faction in particular was called the Cenarion Circle, which all players initially started as Neutral with, and they had high level "emissary" NPCs to decorate the main cities. WoW, being an MMO, is always going to be littered with new players begging for handouts, which is dumb because you have to have been hit by a truck as an infant to not make good money in this game; it spoonfeeds you all the currency you'll ever need. I would often pretend to agree to give such lowbies a handout, and ask them to meet me by the Cenarion Circle NPC, which I've flagged as hostile. I'd Misdirect the low level player, shoot the NPC, and watch a high-leveled NPC absolutely cream the guy in my party. Flagging Cenarion Circle as hostile got patched out fairly quickly when this caught on.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Having been on a Monster Hunter kick I just remembered another grief I liked to pull. In Monster Hunter Tri multiplayer you can strike your own teammates, but for no damage (unless you strike a barrel bomb). That also included throwable items, which would slightly nudge the player. Two weapons in particular, the switch-axe and greatsword had an uppercut swing that could send your teammates flying. The idea behind it was to knock your teammates out of harm's way, but it's really just an annoying dick move used by bad players. The true grief however, comes from one particular encounter, Jhen Mohran, a monstrous, HUGE dragon that swims through the desert sands. You fight it on this massive boat in the middle of the desert.

On the boat, both sides are completely open so players can physically jump on the dragon or just whack its sides. If you fall off, you fall into the sand and are tugged behind the boat by a rope until you very slowly climb back up to it. Now, remember how I mentioned that throwables slightly nudge players? Said throwables work on people being tugged. Normally there's a hard cap on how much of a specific item you can carry, usually 10, save for one item in particular, the paintball, which you can carry 99 of along with the ingredients to craft more on the spot. When the dragon comes close, uppercut a teammate into the sands, and run to the back of the boat where he's trying to climb back in. Once he's close enough start throwing paintballs, this will reset his climb and you can force him to stay back there forever, usually they ragequit.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Frostwerks posted:

I'm looking for a couple of videos I saw on here a long rear end time ago. Both are Counterstrike vids but I don't remember if they're 1.6 or Source. Anyway, one was of the game getting hacked online and then a bunch of helicopters come flying around the corner while Ride of the Valkyries is playing. The other is I think a pro team that uses all kinds of funny tactics in professional play, including stacking up like a totem pole and running around like that and using the same to disarm a bomb from underneath the room with the bombsite.

I typed "counter strike" and "helicopter" and look what came up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQhs3y2Lc-E

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Soulex posted:

I typed "rear end" then "hole" and your post history came up too

At least two of us know how to put 2 + 2 together. If we join forces we can teach the masses the elusive concept of "using a goddamn search bar."

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Another WoW grief! To celebrate WoW's 10th anniversary of monopolizing the MMO genre, they scaled up an old 40-man raid called Molten Core. It was pretty notorious in its hayday because it required every single person to jump through a billion goddamn hoops just to be able to survive that place. Everything about it reeks of bad design in retrospect. They scaled it up previously, but the bosses pretty much just sat there for easy kills. This time Blizzard scaled everything up from the original version verbatim. Old boss mechanics, 15-minute debuffs, and the ridiculous aggro radius of every monster in the dungeon are ready to be tackled by 40 clueless morons who in all likelyhood, have never experienced the content, or have forgotton the mechanics. Blizzard pretty much threw infants into a pool and expect them not to drown. The bulk of the griefing potential comes from two varieties of Core Hounds.

Core Hounds are two-headed demon dogs. The first variety comes in small packs. However, they all have to die at the same time. If one Core Hound dies before the rest, the other hounds will need to be killed in the next 5 seconds or the dead one will spring back to life at full health, as long as they are in the vicinity of living hounds. Usually these packs are burned down with area-of-effect abilites, or are pulled away from the group to be killed individually. WoW players are notoriously stupid and just tunnel-vision everything they see now. You've got 40 people in a group who can't follow directions. All it takes is one premature dead hound to ruin the day for 39 other people. You can grind poo poo to a halt and watch as internet detectives start throwing the blame around. The best part? These packs are uncomfortably close to the first boss, Lucifron, who patrols the area. Doing this results in the boss being pulled, who will debuff players to double all of their ability costs, in addition to mind-controlling your allies, who go on to kill other players. All you have to do is overkill one monster to send everything spiraling out of control.

Their larger counterpart, Ancient Core Hounds, are total bastards. They patrol all areas of the dungeon, have a fire breath attack which does a fuckton of damage to the group, and can fear you, making you lose control of your character as you run around uncontrollably, usually into more monsters and core hounds. They have a very large aggro radius, to the point where if you think it's too close, it usually is. You just have to get one's attention and it will begin to rampage throughout the group, fearing more hapless group members headfirst into danger, wiping out the raid.

The promotional Molten Core is pretty much un-puggable, and is a griefer's paradise.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

He does what he does best.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I main a Hunter and was playing "misdirect everything" (Hunters can force monsters to attack party members) since Barrage (the autoshotgun from the Expendables) is notorious for pulling everything in view due to its obnoxious range.

The only way this could be better is if they scaled up Naxxramas. I could see people wiping on Heigan and Thaddeus for days.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Working as designed griefs are the most satisfying. Using things the way they were meant to be is great for insulting someone's e-bushido. Case in point, Planetside 2.

Planetside 2 is a MMOFPS (and extremely fun), which lets you do pretty much whatever you want, whenever you want. Want to drive a tank? Go for it. Revive dead teammates? Knock yourself out.

You can pull aircraft too, of course. However, the air-game has attracted a lot of toxic assholes who care way too much about honor duels. Think light-saber duels in Jedi Academy, where one pompous douchebag expects you to conform to his ruleset so you can have an "honorable" fight (i.e. gimp yourself so he can win easier). The fighter jets in Planetside 2 defy physics and with a little tweaking can perform a reverse maneuver. This turned what was supposed to be a zoom-n-boom playstyle with actual dogfighting into a nosegun-only hovering rodeo. These rodeos are the "meta" to the particularly douchey pilots, and deviating from it makes you a no-skill noob 12-year old pussy dickhead cheater.

How do you deviate from their idiotic meta? Play the game it was meant to be played and use anything but your nosegun of course! There are two-varieties of Air-to-Air missiles. Their only job is "blow up the bad planes" which they do very well. One is your standard lock-on, the only caveat is that you have to maintain a lock for the missile to connect. It can be countered by equipping flares, which break locks and make you lock-proof for 5 seconds, if juking isn't an option. The aforementioned "meta" pilots don't bother running flares, because in their smugness, simply expect everyone to cater to their preferred playstyle instead of using common sense. They are the best targets for air-to-air lockons and their tears are the most delicious.

The second type of lock-on is a recent addition and it fires a small salvo of 6 micro-missiles, with low individual damage and a low velocity. However, they auto-lock based on proximity. They suck anywhere outside of "so close you will probably collide with the other guy" and are an excellent treat to bring to those hovering rodeos I mentioned. Simply bait some poor sucker into thinking you're playing by the rules, and unleash these babies. You don't even have to aim, just point it in his general direction and let them do the rest. People get furious when you use these, despite the fact that you need to exhaust nearly 3/4 of your ammo just to bring down one aircraft.

Also, kamikaze attacks. People rage when you just slam into their jet with your jet. You both die of course, but usually the other guy starts raging about how you deprived him of a fair 1v1.

Tl;dr fighter pilots take their shooting games way too seriously and don't like it when you use missiles, even though that's what they're loving designed for.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Here's a second life grief that is actually funny and not 10 minutes of retards talking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imd-AF6lIO0

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Wild T posted:

Black Ops introduced Gun Game, where all players start with a pistol. Getting a kill instantly upgrades your weapon to another, more powerful but occasionally harder to use weapon (for instance, the last was typically a bolt-action sniper rifle). Killing another player with a knife resulted in them losing their current weapon and being downgraded one tier. The first to score a kill with all weapons wins the match.

Of course players get furious when you do nothing but run around with a knife, stabbing people and bringing them back down a tier every time. Eventually someone will get enough kills to win, but not before you've scored two or three times as many kills as they have while sitting soundly at the bottom of the scoreboard.

Call of Duty in general is really easy to grief, because anything that kills anyone is 'nooby' or 'bullshit.' I had people sending me angry messages in Black Ops II for being a 'pistol noob' when running around maps using nothing but a semiautomatic pistol and winning.
youtube.com/user/TheCoachTopher

Here's a youtube channel dedicated entirely to gun game trolling.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Aircraft in any multiplayer game attracts crybabies like dogshit attracts flies.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

xyigx posted:

Yeah he perma bans anyone who talks poo poo or griefs on his streams. When he banned me he said "I am the one griefing and this stream is about me not anyone else" I lol'ed and then he got ddos'ed.

I never imagined that the actual griefer would be such a sensitive chump but it turns out that ultimately they just grief themselves.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

wit posted:

Or it could just be that all this "griefing" of the dude amounts to nothing more than the equivalent of drunk unfunny hecklers shouting over a stand up comedian's popular routine. Doesn't make you funnier than a comedian just because you were also in attendance while they did a thing and shouted at them, despite how famous you feel after "turning the tables" or whatever.

The guy can dish it out but he can't take it.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

DreadLlama posted:

I read the wikipedia page after I saw the fusion dance and I still do not understand. What is dragonballZ? It looks like it's just some Japanese guy who gets really angry and fights things. I thought animes were supposed to be artsy colors of ennui poo poo. Is the entire show about a guy with hair gets angry and fights?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dsby9f5RVN8

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Magres posted:

I legit have no idea where that part of my title came from, cause I'm pretty nonviolent in general.

Also what Snapchat said - I posted the story of my title a couple pages back because it involved making hundreds of videogame nerds real, real mad.

And then they invaded our PGS thread just to helldump you.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

People don't like when other players use the things that make it harder for them to kill them.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Wow its almost like stronger loot comes with a new tier of level progression when an expansion launches but no I should be able to wear my cool gear forever which is why I proudly wear my lvl 5 greens I made with blacksmithing all the way to max level, I had to grind forever to dig up that copper.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

axelsoar posted:

I missed the WOW griefing a few pages back, but one of the funniest moments from when I used to raid was before a particularly tricky encounter (for us anyhow) the raid leader set about explaining the fight in detail, and it was the kinda fight where if you made a mistake the whole group may end up dead. I was pretty much perpetually a healing priest in raids, and I was real life friends with the other healers so we were pretty casual about the whole thing, we knew the fight, we were pretty coordinated, etc.

So while the boss man was explaining, we amused ourselves. There was an event going on that had these torches you could throw at other players, and we had a ton of them, so me and healing druid#1 were chain-firing them at about a rate of 20-30 a second. Healing druid #2 was jumping down in-between us right under the arc of flaming sticks when all of the sudden the raid leader shouts "ARE THE HEALERS EVEN PAYING ANY ATTENTION?!"

There is a moment of silence before I meekly offered "...yes?" before my character was pelted by about 50 torches, convulsing wildly through animation as the whole raid turned to look at the 3 stooges healing act.

This is the griefing thread.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1miMPQ7B3g

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Segmentation Fault posted:

I couldn't find a good writeup, so I'll do one.

Buzzcutpsycho was the head of the Planetside 2 outfit (in-game term for clan/guild/whatever) The Enclave, a group whose history goes back all the way to the original Planetside. Buzzcutpsycho was, at first glance, your typical basic training washout milsperg: he peppered his language with vague military terminology (he often referred to himself in-game as "Dagger Actual," Dagger being his infantry-focused sector of the outfit) and styled himself as some sort of strategic and tactical genius. However, the reality was much worse.

There's a tendency for people involved in the US military to be pretty bigoted (just look at GIP). Buzzcutpsycho was certainly a cut above, however. Practically every other word out of his mouth was some kind of slur. He referred to Planetside 2's then-creative director Matt Higby as "Nigby," SOE's then-CEO John Smedley as a greedy Jew, constantly called people he disliked or just found inconvenient faggots or autists, and was generally a huge rear end in a top hat to everyone who didn't lick his boots. For some bizarre reason he commanded a cult of personality within his server's Terran Republic faction, and The Enclave was during its prime the largest TR outfit. However, plenty of people didn't care much for him outside of The Enclave, both within the TR and among the other two factions (Goons among both the New Conglomerate and Vanu Sovereignty, as well as Reddit among VS hated the loving guy). Here's a really great video of Buzzcutpsycho having a meltdown in the Terran Republic command chat (only available to squad and platoon leaders who buy into it with experience points):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=untPEx9qin4

Buzzcutpsycho's "You're all BAD! ABADDUHBADBADBAD" got remixed in song form by the guy who made Dropsy, which is hosted on Youtube here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zvj717lf0bk

Even ignoring Buzzcut, playing in The Enclave was a bad experience. The outfit leadership demanded you use certain weapons, certain tactics, and even certain vocabulary; deviating from the norm here was grounds for expulsion. You were expected to show up at certain times, follow directions to the letter, and if you were anywhere near Buzzcut himself you were expected to drop everything to assist him. Buzzcut even had a "Praetorian Guard" of dedicated medics and engineers with squad-shared XP boosts equipped who were expected to constantly top up his health, revive him if he fell, and repair his mechanized robot suit if he felt like pulling one, following him at all times. The freedom loving Higby's Heroes, resident NC Goon outfit, and sister outfit Earth's Special Forces (codename GOKU) among the VS could not stand for this.

GOON and GOKU fought bravely against the Enclave menace, but found themselves stymied occasionally by his one strategy: Pile everything on one territory at once. Planetside 2, despite being an MMO, had issues when too many people are in one area at once. Dropping 200+ TR into one area (not even counting the opposing force) causes severe framerate issues, and as the game desperately tries to scale back to get the game to a playable state people start to drop out of existence if they're not close enough. A typical Enclave zerg would end up with the enemy render distance automatically lowered so far that people wouldn't even show up unless they were 10 feet in front of you. This was a game that required numbers, and no one outfit could match up. Goons needed an alliance.

Goons on the NC and VS side cooked up the Anti-Terran Republic Alliance, or ATRA, with the idea of both enemy factions putting aside differences to gently caress over the TR for one night. Many VS and NC factions copped to the idea, and while nothing formal was created, there was one night where the New Conglomerate and the Vanu Sovereignty didn't bother each other, but instead pushed up together, railguns and laser cannons side-by-side, up the north end of the deserts of Indar. Just to gently caress with Buzzcut. ATRA was so legendary that years after the fact TR people among the Mattherson server would sometimes swear that the NC and VS are working together whenever things wouldn't go their way.

Buzzcutpsycho left Planetside 2 shortly afterwards, claiming that he wasn't happy with a balance decision. The real truth is that he got humiliated.

This was 3 years ago and there's a lot of holes of information, if someone else could help me fill poo poo in that'd be great.

There's more to this story that I'd like to add on.

During this golden era of trolling BCP it was made very apparent that we had gotten under his skin. He'd go on making youtube videos of his outfit "crushing us," which was just him picking off maybe one or two of us over the span of 10 minutes from the safety of a tank. We'd troll his outfit by triggering a capture attempt at one base, and then pull out. His 200+ zergball would roll up to defend it, gloat about how great they were, and not check to see that they had lost all of the territory around them. We'd do this repeatedly and play him like a goddamn fiddle every time. In a desperate bid to show that his merry band of morons were the greatest fighting force in internet shootman history, he started booting members en-masse who had sub-par k/d ratios and then tried to convince people his outfit was always supremely talented. Obviously, everyone laughed.

However, the single greatest act of trolling BCP came from wounding his incredibly inflated ego. This motherfucker was convinced he was God's gift to the game, that he was an unstoppable tactical juggernaut. How did we do this? Simple, by being better than him at the video game. At the time, much of Planetside 2's fighting took place on one continent, Indar. When a faction fully captured a continent they received a bonus to their resources. You needed 100% territory, which given how frequent fighting on the continent was, was extremely improbable. Well, we, the mighty goons, with a lot of cooperation from smart pubbies, teamworked our way to a full capture. This irritated the piss out of him since he'd bragged about how our faction (VS) was the weakest, most incompetent gaggle of fucks in the game. He touted himself as a tactical genius when really he was a zerg herder. VS had no zergs, VS had lots of smaller outfits that openly cooperated with each other. So when you've got roughly 50% of TR slamming one insignificant base and the other 50% desperately trying to hold off the purple tide, the tide wins. VS danced around BCP's zerg and lured it to easily defensible bases. We were in reality what he thought he was in his head, and having his rear end handed to him time and time again like this drove him up the wall, and we did it all without playing pretend army. We pretty much threw egg in his face by actually able to back up our shittalk. The best part of all of this, it took him nearly 3 months to break our control of the continent. When he finally did, he bragged about how the mighty VS had fallen, and that now more than ever he was going to stamp us underfoot. We re-secured the continent in less than 24 hours.

BCP was very aware that we were goons, and after the incident in Libya (when Vilerat passed) he and others in his outfit started indiscriminately hounding down random goons and bragging about his death. Many of them ate bans for that, week-long usually. Furthermore, even SOE (the developer) got so sick of his poo poo that they began grasping for straws, any reason at all, to ban this motherfucker. They got their opportunity when he was using Planetside 1 music in his stream, which seems harmless enough. SOE jumped at the opportunity and shortly after that it was made abundantly clear that nobody wanted him around, including the developers, who would happily pounce on any insignificant slight on the rules to slam him with the harshest punishments. He quit a few weeks later and left this big winding rant and ended it along the lines of "...everyone called me cancer, but guess what? In the end cancer always wins :smug:" And nothing of value was lost. He returned again a year later but pretty much everyone took the chance to teamkill him on sight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

this thread was doing so well after mod intervention, now it's the simpsons, time to let it die

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Feb 7, 2016

• Locked thread