Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I dunno, being able to build a loot world entirely out of peoples tears seems pretty funny to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I just had a casual game of Pokemon master trainer while we prepare our DnD characters for a couple of weeks time. We figured we'd play something from our old collections to pass the time.

For anyone who doesn't know, the game revolves around getting enough pokemon to pass the PP requirements (each pokemon has a PP score) to get to the elite four and then use your best pokemon to fight a random trainer from the elite four. If you beat them, you beat the game. You usually need attack bonus cards to beat them reliably. I decided I didn't want to beat the game, I wanted to gently caress with people.

The game is set up so you all start with a singular pokemon. There are also item cards and event cards. By going forward, you can either land on a pokemon which you can try to capture via dice roll, event cards which can be anything from utter dick moves to fairly boring "draw item" cards and the aforementioned item cards.

Early on, I got a master ball card and the opportunity to catch mewtwo from an event, which if I used the master ball I would only have to not roll a one to catch it. I managed to grab it. From here I noticed two rules that I could abuse to make the game last a long time. Firstly, a knocked out pokemon doesn't count for PP scoring and is a bitch to revive (you need a potion card or to be really far away from the end in an early city space) and that when you beat another player in a battle you get two item cards, either from their pool or from the item deck, if they don't have enough cards to give you.

As everyone was all together and you can challenge other trainers to a fight if you are moving past them, I started challenging them all to fights as much as possible. As I kept collecting cards off of them, I quickly accumulated all of the master ball cards in the deck, all of the potions, all of the time machines (which can be used to make another player reroll their dice) and the highest attack bonus cards. I used the time machines to ensure that even if another player got the event to capture a legendary pokemon and managed to roll a the six necessary to capture it, that they'd have to reroll and not capture the pokemon.

By the end of the game, I had the entire deck in my hand except for a few cards. The only reason I didn't win that match is because my girlfriend was giving me a really dirty look, so I used the time machine card to reroll her dice when she was fighting the elite four as she lost the first roll. The second roll, she won and my friends made me promise not to hog all of the item cards next time.

The next game I was told to play guitar hero and let other people have fun. They're still coming around in a couple of weeks time, so it looks like they still had fun, despite getting increasingly annoyed at the sheer number of attacks I would launch against them. Every time they captured a new pokemon, i'd knock it out.

In short, my friends get pissy at me over a stupid pokemon game one of us had from their childhood.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Cervixalot posted:

Has this thread seriously turned into people sharing stories of griefing quarters and card games? Jesus christ.

I'm not seeing the problem here.

Griefing wise, my friends threw up a minecraft server with a mod on it (hexxit, i think) that added a lot of towers and pirate ships to fight. By the time I got on a day later, one of them had cleared every single tower that was within an hours walk from me. He then started mocking me.

I decided to get my own back. There's a block in the modpack called quicksand which pulls you in and kills you fairly quickly. It lets your items fall through. I put hoppers underneath the quicksand to collect items for me and put a piston trap (floor pulls away from under you) above the quicksand.

Long story short, I have all his stuff and he's very pissed at me because PVP is off so he can't retaliate. He can't even burn down my house because I don't have one, I have chests hidden underground and buried, that's about it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

MizPiz posted:

It's been a while since I played Smash Bros., but I remember it not really requiring skill to be good at it. From what I remember, it was mostly a rock-paper-scissors thing where each character had strengths and weaknesses and that character selection had more to do with it than actually being good. Then again, my experience with Smash Bros. is from playing in the school lounge where I was easily one of if not the gooniest student.
Regardless, anyone who takes Smash Bros. seriously is a terrible person.

My friends have a rule of "don't take loving diddy kong" because his super move will usually knock at least three lives off all of his opponents.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 26, 2013

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Magres posted:

There's a lot of poo poo like that in World of Tanks, too - anyone with any reference to a military unit (especially German ones) is almost guaranteed to be awful at the game and generally an abominable human being.

I can attest to this. Also its easy as hell to piss off anyone called Rommel. Just open a game with "Rommel was a Nazi" and they'll spend most of the game typing about how he wasn't a Nazi, he was a good guy! Meanwhile their team collapses around them. This is especially useful if they're in a top tier tank.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Renegret posted:

Was that the one where you ran faster while holding the care packing, or something else? If so, that one wasn't so much a glitch as abusing a design feature that never got patched out.

I know this thread already went over the Javelin glitch but that one was my favorite. I spent more time shooting javelin glitches in order to intentionally blow up my own team. So beautiful :allears:

(Basically, the Javelin glitch detonated whatever explosive you had equipped directly at your feet when you died. Javelin + Danger Close had a hilariously large explosion radius. Cue people running at you and either getting shot and blowing you up, or having them stab you in the face. Most javelin glitchers could easily have a positive K/D because of the sheer size of the explosion, which made pubbies even more mad.)

I hated that glitch, the radius was so large that even if you were half the street away you'd still get damaged/killed by the explosion. It was kind of funny at first but it got rinsed to the point of every game having about 2 people per team doing that.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

VanSandman posted:

What if you play as a woman

Isn't this the same game that lets female characters get sold off or something? It sounds similar.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
That was loving beautiful.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
It pisses off the fans, maybe that counts? :shrug:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
While not "behead those responsible" I kinda get the annoyance. If you're really into your hobby having an awards show take the piss out of it might get annoying.

But hey, i've not watched it as i can't right now, its probably not even that bad.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Oh right, the "journalism" industry needs no defending. It just steals poo poo from eachother anyway. Good on the guy

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Stux posted:

Perhaps you would enjoy a website called reddit if you really want to rail against women and minorities in video games.

I have a feeling it was less about "i want to poo poo on women" and more "for fucks sake, this is quite literally being covered everywhere else, can we get back on topic"

:shrug:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Action Tortoise posted:

Speaking of stupid Modern Warfare poo poo, remember when people used to boost to get nukes? This has probably already been posted in the thread but I haven't seen it in the last few pages.

For the fortunate who have never touched the games, one of Call of Duty's multiplayer gimmicks since Modern Warfare was to reward good players with killstreak rewards. If you could go on a killing spree without dying you could get certain benefits like calling up UAV drones to do radar sweeps and find hidden players, select an area on the map for airstrikes, and summon air to surface vehicles to attack players for you and beef up your k/d.

Modern Warfare 2 added more rewards, and the highest was to summon a nuclear strike. In order to do so you had to get to 25 kills without dying! Sounds like a pain to pull off, right?

Well, one of the items MW2 added that took up a special grenade slot - usually reserved for flashbangs and smokes - was the Tactical Insertion. It was a flare that you could drop at any point in the map so that when you respawned you would always return to that spot instead of randomly popping up near an ally.

So to cheese the nuke strike you needed two people who would be on opposite teams. They'd find an out of the way spot and the one of the guys would drop a Tac Insert nearby. The other would kill him as he repeatedly respawned via the Insert. Eventually he'd get to 25 kills and call up a nuke to win the game.

You could totally tell who was boosting by looking at the k/d's and seeing who had top and bottom frags for the match. Some people took to hunting these boosters down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZXqFgUI828
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iuB3tqMrpA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQFSIZihpDk

There was actually a really simple way to get a nuke that people really didn't catch onto. All you needed was one man army, a grenade launcher and three killstreaks. These were a harrier jet, chopper gunner and then the nuke. To do it, all you had to do was fire off your grenades and use one man army to resupply until you got seven kills. From then on all you had to do was find a safe spot and call in the harrier. The harrier would get four kills, which would get you the chopper gunner. The chopper gunner and the harrier jet combined would almost always net you the last fourteen kills, which would let you nuke the game.

I really wish I had recorded some of the matches I did with that. The hate mail was amazing :allears:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Doodles posted:

Are there any decent griefs in World of Tanks these days?

Goons do tank trivia, where we steamroll an entire team except for their artillery, surround them with tanks and ask them questions. If they don't answer, they're stuck for 10 minutes unable to play. If they do answer, they die and lose.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Doc Hawkins posted:

Also presumably they enjoy it more than burger flipping. It's an eternal cliche that some people will make all kinds of material sacrifice to work as an entertainer.

I remember watching Broteam on twitch, when someone asked him "whether he has a job" and he started laughing ruefully. "This is it. This is it. Can you believe that? Can you believe how hosed the world is today, that doing this can be someone's source of income? gently caress."

What I'm saying is I think some of them have the right attitude.

That alone has made me consider looking them up. I don't understand how people are willing to donate to someone screaming at a screen like a twat (pewdie) or getting angry over loving everything (every feminist vs mra debate i've ever seen). Hell, they even gave someone money to create a video series that has exactly the same production quality as it was before, only this time there was a scandal so money is involved (anita) (yes, i've watched them).

I think the internet is griefing me by existing sometimes.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Bouchacha posted:

Yes, worryingly so. Radley Balko is a journalist that has been covering the rise of militarized police in the US if you're interested in the topic. He wrote a book recently along with a bunch of articles: http://www.salon.com/2013/07/07/%E2%80%9Cwhy_did_you_shoot_me_i_was_reading_a_book_the_new_warrior_cop_is_out_of_control/

This is particularly why "Swatting" is all sorts of hosed up, they easily could've gotten their target killed.

Yeah the police you guys have are crazy and seem to really enjoy the use of force over any other tactic. The scary thing is that the mindset is spreading to other countries and people are extremely supportive of it as long as its not aimed at them.

"swatting" someone isn't griefing, its pretty much attempted murder.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Agean90 posted:

"Those legs look like their weighing you down, how about I CUT THEM OFF FOR YOU :unsmigghh:"

This guy is amazing.

I always lose it when he gets hit by the car and the scream fades off into the distance. Proximity chat should be in every game :allears:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Arrath posted:

RF:G's multiplayer was pretty awesome. The Wrecking Crew mode was the best ever.

That mode was great. If you got the thrust pack you were basically a god for 1v1 encounters. If they came close to hit you with the hammer, jump up with it and kill them before they hit the ground. Above you in a building? Jet through the floor. Below you? Same deal, except this time you murder them.

Also helps that you could blow up entire buildings if your team was camping in them.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Ghostlight posted:

Except that one of those is explicitly a criminal act.

Apparently not on youtube as no actual charges are filed.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Are we really having this discussion? loving hell, as soon as it leaves the bounds of a game it becomes one of those things that can be punished by law in a lot of places, that should speak for itself.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
It might be worth mentioning that G0t_hats has made four posts on SA and all of them have been on this thread, so this might just be ultra meta griefing.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

The Shortest Path posted:

And yeah gamers.txt is unrepentant circlejerky rear end garbage with a few funny entries.

And god forbid you call them out on it while having your own gamers.txt post. It then just turns into a normal shitposting thread but with people coming up with even further and further reaching examples just so they don't get banned.

On that note, content part of post: Red Faction Guerrilla's building mechanics made it extremely easy to grief. All you had to do was jump under a friendly "l33t snipah" on the floor above and do the overhead swing with the hammer. It'll make them fall through the floor and on some of the bigger buildings you could create a massive hole for them to fall down into. Combine that with C4 on the side of the building to collapse walls into them you could pretty reliably teamkill snipers who weren't contributing.

On that same note you could also dick move snipers by repairing destroyed walls that they're stood behind trying to get a shot. gently caress those guys now and forever, they contribute nothing.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Drifting races are so easy to grief i've stopped trying. I don't understand how people think its hard to do when all you have to do is kick your car into a sideways turn and occasionally kick it the other way. With some of the older racing games i'd literally just stop short of a checkpoint and ram people. Those spergs are so up themselves on skill that all it takes is something to knock them off slightly and you get a half hour rant about how unskilled you are.

That said, most racing games are easy to grief. Just put people into walls or park sideways on bridges. Prepare for incoming hate mail.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
We should probably make a male only group on there. Watch the community tear itself apart over the argument of if its sexism or not. If it gets removed it'll be even funnier, because then they'll have another argument about how the female only group gets to stay while the male only group is banned.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
How the gently caress did that guy find the name on there? Doesn't that thing have thousands of names on it?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Splode posted:

I fear that's more crazy than the world can handle.

Considering you can individually hack off fingers and such now, I don't think I want to know what the internet is doing with that mod.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

TheSpiritFox posted:

I don't care what anyone says, CCP is and will always be the best MMO developer there ever was :allears:

CCP are the best MMO developers hands down. I spent a lot of my time in eve (when I gave it a go) doing the "send me money and I will multiply it by 10" scam. The way it works is that when you start off doing it, you actually hand out a few million worth of ISK to get people excited and vouching for you. The real money comes when someone sends you a hundred million isk or something ridiculous and you send nothing back. Then when they complain in chat they get shouted down by people you've actually sent money too :allears:

g0t_hats posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2fcUl2XVjg

"i like griefing but i dont like it when the greifs are mean or when peoples feelings are hurt that crosses the line stop posting actual content we dont want to see griefing videos"

maybe you guys shouldn't post in this thread anymore if that's how you're going to act

If you could get over the whole thing about the thread thinking that you're an unfunny twat, that'd be great buddy :downs:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Magres posted:

Anyone care if I repost some old (really good) stories from the SS13 thread? Some of them are absolute gold

Do it, although at this point we've heard doom peel and demon bartender 10 times over.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Weatherman posted:

That is beautiful. :golfclap:

Agreed, well played.

I've only ever managed to get a few wins on World Of Tanks or other games by mentioning that I knew game of thrones spoilers and that i'd read them out in the event that i'd die. People would block their allies shots to try to stop me from dying, teamkill, etc etc.

After the game is a guaranteed win, I boldly announce something like "Khaleesi gets eaten by her dragons" or "Brandon gets Magical legs". Instant hatemails, death threats, etc. Best part?

I've never read the drat books.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

PurpleXVI posted:

Not exactly a lot of rage, since he didn't know someone was intentionally messing with him, but loving up the breed of roleplayer who attempt to score public cybersex in MMO's never gets old to me.

You are actually a good admin. Well played, that's pretty funny.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

SpazmasterX posted:

If it's any consolation, these stories come with about a million rounds where nothing interesting or funny (no matter how hilarious some admins think they are) happens.

I don't know, every round i'm a traitor I try to do some new gimmick. Recently i've been setting plagues of guardbuddies on the station, letting them taze and handcuff everyone in sight. Filling rooms with plasma, etc. Why, only a few days ago I was tied to a chair, left some wirecutters in a room with bomb. The guy who caught me told me I could try and escape if I liked, letting me try my absolute hardest to save my life.

SS13 is what you make it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Slime posted:

It could only get better if the mercenaries were also secret goon alts, charging way more than the target ship's replacement cost and paying for his buddy to get blown up.

This actually was the case I believe, a few people who weren't a part of goonfleet but were still very much goons took some money to take out other goons. One of the guys I used to go to college with did it and charged an absurd amount to "escort" the pubbies.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

g0t_hats posted:

I was there when he got swatted, I know who did it. I was simply stating that it wasn't me or anyone else from myg0t. Chill.

Isn't the investigation still ongoing? If you know who did it, couldn't you just like, tell the police?

I consider swatting pretty much a form of attempted murder, considering how the police seem over there.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Coolguye posted:

holy gently caress you guys are terrible

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I dunno, that just seems like good gameplay more than any grief.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
You can read anything in the global chat? All I see is loving gold spam and people screaming that <GazaStrippers> is a horrible clan name and that I should be killed.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Hypha posted:

That is a very dangerous phrase.

:goon:

Well, we can't goon rush now, the thread keeps falling apart because people can't stop bringing drama into it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

RottenK posted:

Not our fault that you griefed yourselves so good.

I will take this moment to state that I walked into that thread, asked if my build was viable and walked right the gently caress out. :can:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Archonex posted:

I was really psyched about posting some more Wushu style antics here until it became obvious that the thing was turning into a clusterfuck. The creepy :pedo: crap was the last straw. At which point my interest in the game faded.

Shame too. I discovered that the automobiles you'll eventually be able to craft have a radio. One of the channels on this radio blasts what sounds like obnoxious k-rap at everyone nearby. And as of the version I played you could overlay the sound with multiple cars to create a glorious cacophony of bass and hideously garbled singing that had at least one person grinding their teeth when I tested it out. I was looking forwards to finding a way to annoy people with that. :(

Do it anyway. If you're in the EU join the server "Nui" and play as the japanese characters. I find that simply playing as a japanese girl gets people angry when you stab them. GazaStrippers is always looking for more griefers.

When I get a chance i'll try out the radio thing. That sounds wonderful so i'll record it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Eonwe posted:

??? i dont think anyone is mad

Nobody is mad, everyone is disappointed.

• Locked thread