Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

I can't wait to try some of this MW2 stuff. I've been stealing clan tags for a cheap laughs, people really do rage about the smallest stuff. It's time to step it up a little bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

I just discovered something in Modern Combat 2 for the iPhone. In team death matches, friendly fire is off, with the exception of grenades. TKing someone only subtracts 1 kill from your score, but doesn't affect the XP you get from your legitimate kills. Even better, if you only wound somebody with your grenade and they get killed by the other team, you get 25 points for the assist. In short, throwing deadly weapons at your teammates can help you level up faster.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

This past weekend I was bored playing MW2 with my old roommate and calling out people via Skype when I decided to take some lessons from this thread and put them to good use.

I set my clan tag to [GAY] and we headed into some Hardcore rooms to gently caress with people. My friend played the games totally straight, while I would proceed to pick out the most annoying person with a mic and team kill them on sight, but no one else on my team, while still managing to score decently in the game. Some people would bitch, some people would freak out, but one person really took home the gold.

I was surprised that none of the people I TKed fired back. Some of them threatened to, but no one shot me, Finally, someone, but not my target, took it upon themselves to shoot me. I didn't even notice and chalked it up to an innocent mistake. 5 second later, I got a message saying "I am so sorry for shooting you"

What? That really confused me. It's a game about shooting people. Why be sorry? So i rolled with it and accused them of TKing me because they were a bigot and saw my clantag. Sorry that what follows is a bit of a chatlog, with the other person's horrible spelling uncorrected..

:350: <-- me
:witch: <--them

:witch: Srry i kill u
:350: Are you apologizing because you shot me for my sexual orientation and that makes you a bigot?
:witch: I'm a girl. I'm so srry
:350: So? That doesn't mean you can't hate on someone for who they are.
:witch: I dont hate u silly. I know i'm just being dumb. I killed cuz my BF told me 2. Srry.
:350:Your boyfriend is a homophobe?
:witch: No just a jerk at timez
:350: I donno. If he had you shoot at me just because my clan tag suggests I <3 men, it sounds like he is a very closed minded individual.
:witch: I know but he sweet when not pissed.
:350: But he just gets upset at the slightest hint of homosexuality? It's people like that who make it hard for the LGBT community to thrive.
:witch: Ye i gess i apologize 4 him.

At this point i went back to playing and ignored her. But later I got 2 messages
:witch: So r u ok? I no how u feel.

That was friday or saturday night. But today, when I logged in, there was a message in my box that I had to show you guys.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Hungryjack posted:

Now you should grief her by announcing you're really straight (whether you are or not in real life) and that you were trolling her.

I agree, in fact, I'm going to do that right now. If i had any friends capable of it, I would have instantly assumed it was one of them loving with me. However, i think I have discovered an honest to God basket case on the PSN. I'm going to see where the rabbit hole leads and if it's good report back.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

I thought this was worth a follow up. Apparently she's just some chick in LA who was in an abusive relationship and being told that her bf was a bigot was the last straw for her. Or something. If it's a long con it's a good one, but I can't fathom the end game.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

SnipeShow posted:

The game sounds like a lot of fun. I don't mind dying, and I don't mind punishments for dying. I used to play a Jedi in SWG back when death by bounty hunter meant 2 days work down the drain, but having a bounty on your head meant you hosed up, so it was forgivable. Am I wrong in thinking the issue I quoted is a substantially worse punishment than most deaths in the game? The way I read it, it doesn't even matter if you win the fight, you still suffer a level loss. If I'm off, fine, I won't buy it and thank you for the advice. If I'm not, a preemptive gently caress you for the attitude I suppose.

The game will kill you every single chance it gets and then some and you'll loose all of your hard earned cash as soon as you have enough to buy that shiny bauble you wanted. And don't expect to start it up and instantly start loving with people for a while.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Shumagorath posted:

Anyone who drops from a game at the sight of Brazilians wasn't around for Diablo 2 Koreans.

Is it just that a large portion of the population can't understand them, stupid young people being racist online, or do brazilians/koreans actually play differently somehow and that pisses people off?

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Code Jockey posted:

Wait, what the gently caress? That's... uhhh... interesting.

Yeah it's a lot of fun playing by yourself when all the monsters lag halfway across the screen before hitting you.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

That sounds like enough fun for me to look into that game.

When MGO came out, I was the biggest rear end in a top hat in the world with tranquilizer guns. If you've never played, several weapons have the ability to knock players unconscious for a good 5 to 10 seconds. During that time, the unconscious player has to spin their joysticks around as fas as they can to get up faster. I'd get a mosin nagant, a sniper rifle that fires tranq darts, go camping in obscure places, and shoot people in the head. Then, when they were unconscious, 3 little Zs appeared over their heads, and they would fade out as the player got closer to waking up. So as soon as there was 1 Z left, I'd start focusing in on him. As soon as the victim moved, they'd get another shot right to the dome, taking them out again. I could keep people tied up for minutes or until someone else stumbled into my trap, killing the victim and giving me a new playmate.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Crasscrab posted:

:siren: SUPER GRIEFING DETECTED!

World of Warcraft cities hacked

Nerds got owned!

That first article makes it sound exactly like that episode of South Park.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Holy poo poo I'm cracking up at Eyh P'niss, the penis headed alien. Im stealing some variation of that name, it's too awesome not to.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Just out of curiosity, what's the real world value of a Titan? Something retarded?

So as I'm not derailing the thread, some of us in Dust 514 have taken to trying to destroy our teammate's equipment. I managed to take out a tank with a free jeep by ramming it at high speeds at just the right time, and the driver raged. He raged so hard he got on the mic for 5 minutes just to yell at me. He went out of his way to join my chat channel and bitch at me for the entire rest of the game. He claimed that he was going to "Glass planets in EVE just to kill cock suckers like you" and that he was going to put a bounty on my head. I still haven't seen it though.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Cleretic posted:

Oh god, out of curiosity I just looked at Dust 514 to see how exactly it's supposed to interact with EVE.

Does it actually do this sort of stuff well? Because if it does this sounds amazing, and I imagine some nice cross-game griefing stories might result from this.

Not yet, it's only version 0.7 and still in beta. But CCP has painted a pretty impressive vision of the future, and if it works it's going to be awesome.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

But their friends will be well off.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

They really need to test with griefers in mind.

Hell even when I was playing seriously I exploited the medic griefing. If a friendly got killed trying to breach a room, I would just keep reviving him from around the corner until the enemies in the room ran out of ammo and had to reload. Friendly would get 4-5 deaths, I would get 2-3 kills when I burst into the room.

It's a great mechanic, but I don't think they give much thought to just how game breaking it can be.

It turns out this works in Dust 514. Myself and a fine fellow named Moronic just spent the evening teamkilling our team mates with LAVs. I would drive, then he would hop out and revive the person I had just hit. Then I would plow full speed into the target as soon as he was on his feet again. We killed some of our team mates 5 or 6 times in the span of 30 seconds.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

I love team killing in Dust. To the point where when corp members join my squad, they have to ask if we're playing serious, or if we'll be team killing all match. I've been called out on the official forums for it 3 or 4 times now, which pretty much makes me the most well known team killer in the game. And yet some people still don't realize this and send me hate mail, of which I love to share the best of for everyone's amusement.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

SynthOrange posted:

The full story emerges where a player griefs other players, then tries to grief the admins, then it ends up with the FBI griefing the player.

That's amazing, and that dude is going to be in a world of legal poo poo for even suggesting he'd shoot up a school.

To contribute:

Can anyone translate this? I was TKing a Spanish speaking only corp in Dust514, and I got this lovely nugget of hatemail.

Google tells me it means, "dumb motherfucker go to catch your whore mother" but I'd like to confirm that.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

I was indeed running him over with a car, so "go run over your whore mother" would probably make the most sense.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Dust 514 for the PS3 has pretty good jeep action, and it's free-to-play. The playerbase is full of e-honor derpwits from Eve Online and l33t console FPS broskis, so it's really easy to make people mad. The only bad part for your plan is that you can't chat with the enemy team during a match. However, they've now added a player-owned territory mode where you can conquer some of the planets in the Eve universe, with friendly fire enabled. So if you can sneak your way into a corporation (i.e. guild/clan) that participates in this, you can join one of their matches and run over teammates all day. The best part of this is that each teamkill costs both the corporation and your target money, either in-game or real money depending on if the target bought their equipment from the cash shop.

Dust 514 thread

In addition to that, some enterprising individuals have worked out a method so that the enemy team never knows who the rear end in a top hat is that snuck into the team and led a group of team killers into the match. Which means that they can do it over and over, to the same people. They start off by demanding ransom and claiming that the other team paid them to be there. They inform the team that the ransom is to be paid out to some random member of the corp they are griefing, then team kill the poo poo out of the them when the fail to pay. The end result is the corporation looses 80 million isk by losing the match (which takes roughly 320 public battles to make back), all their members loose expensive gear, they usually kick out the person who is used as a patsy for the ransom, the other corp looks like an rear end in a top hat because people think they're paying the griefers to be there, and lately some corps have even been kicking every member who hasn't been with them for months out of fear. One corp shed over 500 members to avoid being ganked.

Sammus fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 23, 2013

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

If you play pub matches, you win, on average, 250,000 ISK. Not including the losses you incur in battle. And it takes 80 million isk to purchase the 150 clones to fight in the smallest Planetary Conquest battle. So, if we gently caress someone over they're out, at minimum, 320 pub matches worth of ISK. The answer as to how the afford it? People spent months grinding out ISK to participate before the conquest game mode came out.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

TheSpiritFox posted:

Is Goonswarm involved in exploiting this or just watching gleefully from the sidelines?

The guys in space are just sitting on the sidelines enjoying all the tears. Of which there are gallons. The guys on the ground however... Well we don't talk about our involvement (or lack of) in such actions where prying eyes can see.

TheSpiritFox posted:

Think they'll drop the price of admission when cash stockpiles start to dry up? Also, what exactly are the benefits of controlling a district or whatever? Also sorry I'll stop turning this into a dust thread after this.

Probably not, they might tweak it a little, but the price won't chance much. And if you can hold a district long enough, you start making money off of it, but the game zone is such a small fraction of New Eden right now that it's a nonstop clusterfuck and no one is making money. There will be benefits to the EVE side of the corporation eventually, but that's in the future, knowing CCP it will be a while.

Sammus fucked around with this message at 06:06 on May 23, 2013

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Some people in Dust, who shall not be named, and who may or may not be related to GoonFeet, have continued their trend of ruining people's high dollar matches and taking trophies. Such as this: http://tinyurl.com/pl5nymv

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

More Dust talk!

A few pages back we talked about running team mates over with LAVs, then stabbing them with a needle to revive them over and over, ruining their KDR.

Well in this most recent build they introduced something called "Faction Warfare" which is just the same battles as before, only you can pick the side you want to fight on. Which means we have started putting 2 members of GoonFeet on opposite sides, then finding a lone individual in the battle by coordinating over voice and killing him and reviving him as quickly as possible. They never have time to even fully get up between deaths, and they can't access the "leave battle" option because dying and reviving kicks you out of the pause menu. The only way for people to escape our assholery is to actually quit the game via the PS button.

This thread has it all, We made a Japanese guy mad, and he can't write english, so his replies are all literally Google Translate.

quote:

Divided into friends and enemies
I repeat hand-to-hand combat and resuscitation
This Incorporated Do not you can only do that?
Name sammus420
Eltra Ardell

敵味方に分かれて
蘇生と白兵戦繰り返す
このコーポはそんなことしかできないのか?
名前 sammus420
Eltra Ardell

Then one of the goons decided to reply to all his posts in haiku

quote:

friendship we offer
for good times call the goonfeet
sorry, no homo

Then some dude fell for our corp description, which claims that we're a Christian Faith based organization.

quote:

Way to represent the christian faith, Nippy.

Sammus fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jun 7, 2013

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Ghostlight posted:

That is just so much gold.

Dude is so hypocritical about other people being fat nerds he might need to have a rethink of his sexuality.

Seriously, him calling other people fat nerds is so hypocritical it's hilarious.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

duckfarts posted:

Turn on auto captions.

You're welcome.

That's amazing. Auto caption has never failed me this hard, and it's so drat funny. "I hope was to get the players names endeavor shahab kneecap phony me around." It's like Google is trying to tell me a story.

vvv Really? Wow, even better.

Sammus fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 6, 2013

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Over in Dust we've been having a good laugh today. A couple of us have been ruining people's day with revive tools and stacked teams, as I mentioned earlier in this thread. We had a squad doing it last night, and someone decided to call us out on the official forum demanding we get banned or something. That was a nice laugh. Then someone else posted this:

quote:

No but really...why do this?

Deep down inside you have to answer why it gives you pleasure to not only kill a person, see their deaths rise, then revive and kill them again....

You are not getting pleasure from 'the contest'; the procedural correction of weaknesses toward a more precise mastery of a tool.

Don't get me wrong, it isn't even a productive tool. The game is only a tool insofar as it exists to entertain. It is a banal tool in that respect... If you think that you have mastered this tool in its ability to entertain by your 'original' behavior, future forms of addiction have another thing to teach you about mastery.

The reality that you must face is that at best you and your ilk are a Troll. Not the workaday cynic, bored, forum wh*re kind of troll. But the truly warped psyche that charges people an arbitrary and hope-killing tax on enjoying life. You are like the online version of why milk needs an expiration date. You are Rot -- digitally incarnated.

If this warms you on the inside...if this strikes you as quaint and incites feelings of personal satisfaction, connection, and existential enthusiasm, you very well just might be the pathological anti-hero that the video-game critics want so very badly to exist. You very well just might be some kind of twisted sadist. However, it is a tragically supressed sadism. It is one for which you truly need help.

You are very likely neurochemically trapped by the need to exploit, to reduce, and to destroy. Be warned...the dopamine receptors that are feeding this high will deaden. What you get from this habit, lust, and addiction that you may think is creative, or authentic will taper and be found wanting.

...then what...

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

njsykora posted:

Resurrecting people is such a wonderful way to harvest rage since you're effectively putting 2 deaths on their scorecard, I got so much grief from reviving people in the middle of firefights in Killzone 2 that I just never stopped playing medic.

Just 2? Try 125. Their K/Ds will take weeks to be fixed.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Yeah but he was doing it in domination with his friend on an alt, like when we farmed orbitals, as opposed to finding some poor, unsuspecting victim and ruining their stats.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Have any victims ever just...quit the game? They can't access the Dust menus, but they could always just use the PS3 menu or push the power button on the machine.

Yeah, a few. Most can't figure it out.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Comrade Milton posted:

CN's GOONS have gotten a member to eat dogfood. So that's pretty good fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTahTYdeCYU

I watched that a while ago, what's the story behind it?

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

I like how he accuses the trolls of not knowing how to have fun. Somehow I think they have way more fun than him.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

icantfindaname posted:

DayZ video being circulated around the internet, had me nearly in tears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2N8kMbqsbI

The title might spoil it though.

I.. Don't get it. All I see there is some creepy looking dude slowly walking towards the guy filming, do you have to play DayZ to understand what's going on?

vvv That makes sense. I was wondering what the gently caress he was freaking out about.

Sammus fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jan 3, 2014

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Dick Burglar posted:

And so began Sammus' quest to find a legitimate snuff film.

This is the internet, if I want to see legitimate videos of people dying, I can just pop into the pics/youtube thread in GIP.

But I do appreciate people explaining to me what's going on in that video. It's the immersion of DayZ that makes it amazing, I understand now.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Real C4 masters in BC2 attached C4 to the tail end of friendly helicopters. When detonated mid fight this made them spin out of control and crash every time. Heavy Metal was never really the same after that.

This works in Dust 514 also. If you wait until a dropship gets close to a building or is about to land and set it off, the pilot usually freaks out and crashes, killing everyone on board. Even better, the game blames the pilot for all the team kills from the crash, and can kick them from Faction Warfare battles (a type of game mode that pays out differently from normal battles) for 24 hours.

Also, if you set the explosives off while the dropships are angled far forward you can make them flip over, guaranteeing a wreck.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Ringo Star Get posted:

So a bunch of puppies got infuriated that there's going to be a game on the PC that may or may not be even related to EVE or DUST 514 at all? What a bunch of spergs. It's always hilarious to see pubbies rage out and make demands that no one in their right mind in the real world would even consider to be sane or close to legitimate. Reminds of me of Planetside 2 where every time a weapon or ability is changed slightly, even if its been known to be obscenely over-powered and nerfed, or made slightly better to be competitive, there are cries for refunds.

They got infuriated because CCP made a bunch of promises about content they were going to add to Dust, claiming they had a 10 year plan for the game on consoles. Now CCP is saying "we're not going to work on that game anymore" and is instead working on Legion. But you're right, it is hilarious, especially since a bunch of Dust players flew to Iceland for fanfest on their own dime under the impressing they would be the first to hear about future improvements to Dust, just to be told their game is being killed. The tears in the Dust IRC channel and on the official forums are amazing, and it's even funnier that a bunch of people deleted their characters in protest because CCP came out the next day and said they were going to do everything they can to make it possible to transfer all your poo poo from one game to the other.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

This is the griefing thread, so let me talk about Dust514.

TLDR: Dust is a terrible FPS that allowed for TKing and scamming people.

Goons have griefed in Dust since day one. Literally one of the first posts in the original Dust thread was about how despite friendly fire being disabled, there were a few creative ways around it. That spawned a game we played known as Blueberry Pancakes. You see, if you drove a car into your team mate, it did nothing to them except push them along. But if you drove your car into your team mate then bailed out or switched seats, well, the car isn't a friendly car anymore, and now the blue on your bumper has gone splat. Bonus points if they were calling in a valuable vehicle. We'd steal it while the owner was dead, then blow it up in front of them, depriving them of the in game money they had spent on it. A few members of the core goon playerbase were famous in Dust for doing this, to the point where people made complaint threads on the official forum, and people began targeting random goons in game for revenge TKs of their own.

Around E3 last year, CCP released a major patch that fixed a lot of poo poo and broke even more stuff. Most importantly, CCP fixed teamkilling with vehicles, but introduced the try hardiest of try hard modes, "Planetary Conquest" (PC) where players could fight in high dollar matches to take over land on planets that generated money. Friendly fire was turned on in Planetary Conquest. These two things led to a conversation one day between myself and another goon that touched the entire player base of the game. While lamenting the loss of TKing with cars, the other goon suggested I use one of my alts to join another corp, then get into a PC match and TK there. At first we decided this was too much work, but then we had a revelation.

Battles in Dust are made up of 2 teams of 16 players, divided into 2 squads of 6 and 1 squad of 4. In PC, only players in the corporation fighting can join the match, but if the leader of a squad is in the corp, that's good enough and the game will allow all the players in the squad into the match regardless of corporation. The very next day we made an alt corp called Grief University and started infiltrating alts into other corps and forcing our way into their expensive planetary conquest battles as Grief U.

Did I mention it cost them a lot of ISK (the in game money) to set up those battles? It used to cost 80 million isk for a corp to start a PC battle. If everything goes perfectly well, the average player could make maybe 1 million isk an hour in normal matches.

We would join the battle, and gently caress everything up. Before we even started the fight, we would offer a ultimatum: "Hello, I am ___________ from Grief U. We've been hired by <Opposing Team> for 50 million ISK to throw the match. However, if you pay us 100 million isk, we'll leave and let you fight fairly. Pay, or I promise you'll lose everything." This hosed with their E-horor hardcore, and soured their relations with the opposing team. During the match, we would team kill every blue player we could see, forcing them to fight us, and lowering their number of respawns even more. When that failed, we would kill ourselves repeatedly. We lost every match we entered.

We did this 5 or 6 times the first day, when members of another corp that happened to be run by a member of the player's council attempted our tactic in a battle. The game's playerbase jumped on this and assumed that she was responsible for our attacks. Overnight a 20 page thread popped up on the forum with player demanding her resignation.

At the same time, to prevent attacks, large corporations began purging their lesser known players. Overnight some went from 2000 players to 500. Some corporations collapsed entirely over in-fighting about who should be purged. Most of the corps we hit either dissolved almost immediately or purged and then collapsed soon after. A lot of corps started feeder corps and only kept high ranking members in the primary corp. This effectively split the player bases, forcing the corps to eventually collapse. Over night our actions instilled enough fear in the players that they they destroyed themselves to stop us. In order to prevent this (and mostly to silence the tears of their players) CCP added a "kick player" function so that high ranking corp members can control who can be in PC.

Scamming

In Dust, you have to use ISK earned in battle to buy everything you fight with. A smart player can make 1-2 million isk an hour, but if you're not careful it's actually very easy to lose money fighting. To allow for things like hiring ringers for PC and to help newbies, CCP eventually added player to player ISK transfer. As soon as they did this, I began trolling the chat channel, telling people I was quitting the game and that I had stolen my entire corp's wallet and was willing to pay out vast riches to anyone willing to send me ISK as a show of good will. I got loving RICH off gullible dumb people.

Eventually I burned out my chat, to the point where I couldn't log in without people messaging me demanding their money back. I couldn't even say hello without people denouncing me as a lier and a thief. I had to find a new money tree.

I began selling Districts in Planetary Conquest. Instead of spending hundreds of millions of ISK fighting over them, people could just buy them from me for low low prices! To find marks, I would have goons tell me the names of people recruiting for corporations in their chat channels, then contact them offering to help fledgling corporations break into PC. The only problem? Goons didn't own any districts, and didn't give a poo poo about owning them. No problem! I just lied my rear end off. The corporation that owned the district was always my sister corp or something that I had full control of. Part of actually selling a district involved removing all of your troops from it and then the new owner has to attack it with troops of their own. Those troops cost 80 million isk (on top of my price), and since I didn't have any power to remove troops from the district, people were throwing a lot of in game money away on the hopes and dreams I was selling.

Sometimes I'd put an alt in a corp that owned districts and pretend to be it's Ambassador of Sales. I would sell a district they owned to 2-3 different corporations at the same time, then send the ISK to my main and laugh as corp mails went out consisting of "what the gently caress is happening?!!" This would go on as long as no one got in touch with the attacking corps and traced the confusion to me. My record was selling a single corp's districts 5 times, although it wasn't always the same district.

This is my favorite:

A while ago CCP released limited edition codes that unlocked rare in game items. Via tricky word play I convinced a guy I was selling the codes when what was clearly stated in my messages to him (if read completely, 100% literally) was that I was selling an in game item. Dust has no mechanism for transferring in game items from player to player. He gave me 100 million ISK, and I gave him nothing. He was rather unhappy with me, and after a few mean spirited comments, he logged off. I thought it was all done, since CCP has always taken a very liberal stance on in game scamming in the past. However, a few days later I found my wallet 100 million ISk short, and 2 mails in my mail box. One was from a GM explaining that I was being warned for violating the ToS (bullshit) and that he had taken the money and given it back to it's previous owner, and that I needed to stop. The other was an email from the guy I'd scammed laughing about getting his money back.

I was going to drop it, but another goon suggested there was no harm in trying to get the cash back, so I filed a petition with the GMs explaining how everything I had done was by the rules, and I deserved my money back. I didn't expect to ever hear any more about it, but 2 weeks later they responded. The original GM's decision had been wrong, and they were reversing it and returning my ISK. They took the isk out of the guy's wallet and gave it back to me. 100 million isk. That's 100 hours worth of grinding.

Sammus fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 13, 2014

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

dogstile posted:

CCP are the best MMO developers hands down. I spent a lot of my time in eve (when I gave it a go) doing the "send me money and I will multiply it by 10" scam. The way it works is that when you start off doing it, you actually hand out a few million worth of ISK to get people excited and vouching for you. The real money comes when someone sends you a hundred million isk or something ridiculous and you send nothing back. Then when they complain in chat they get shouted down by people you've actually sent money too :allears:

That was exactly the method I used to keep my wallet padded in Dust, only I limited it to doubling the ISK I was sent. Always, always pay the little guys. They offer a lot in the way of cheap advertising and the big, dumb, greedy folk will hear the commotion and come running. The little people are also extremely happy with your service, and love you to death. They go about their business thinking they got an amazing deal, never realizing they were just a cheap trick in a much bigger ploy.

[edit]: I forgot someone got a lovely audio recording of one dude flipping out from getting TKed.

Sammus fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 13, 2014

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Dramicus posted:

One of my favorite EvE stories was when the Goons started a resource war to drive up prices and then made money hand over fist by selling said resources to their enemies.

Isn't that what the whole "Hulkageddon" event was/is? I've never played EVE, but it's my understanding that at some point goons put a large bounty on some sort of large, expensive freighters that pubbies love. Lots of freighters get blown up, some people get rich shooting things, and lots of pubbies cry. On top of getting their ships destroyed, goons have a monopoly over the supply of a mineral that is required to produce the freighters and they actually make a profit while paying out bounties because people have to pay goons to replace their ships.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Here is a video from the Robocraft thread of the original Gunchair in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olCQTkEP2sI

Looks hilarious.

That looks awesome, you could make an entire game out of that concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

You got griefed.

• Locked thread