Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I feel the urge to wave to “powersport” or otherwise “recreational” vehicles, which I guess include Jeeps, Can Am’s, etc.

Not scooters though, don’t know why, but they just don’t cross that threshold. Maybe because I’ve tried a bunch of times and usually get ignored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Jazzzzz posted:

It's the peace sign without letting go of the steering wheel.

I’m actually guilty of the moto version of this. If I’m riding all day, in the morning I’ll really lean into The Wave, but by the end of the day I’ll just be rolling my left hand barely off the grip instead of giving a proper The Wave.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Imperador do Brasil posted:

My son (pictured above in all his glory) ponied up for a new chain, so now the TW is a $216 bike.

Looks like ya done good :hmmyes:

My kids are not useful, yet(?).

epswing fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Apr 25, 2022

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Gorson posted:

You get an extra :hmmyes: if done while on fire

And drinking a Mountain Dew

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Bar Patron posted:

That is a good looking machine.

I've always thought those Ducs looked especially pretty, so I just assumed they were lovely and uncomfortable. Are the Scramblers actually good bikes?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
My Honda has Adaptive Cruise Control which matches the speed of the vehicle ahead, and it just barely works. It’s OK for traffic jams where you’re just crawling, but it sucks for everything else. It brakes too late and too heavily. It brakes for phantom cars that have already turned away or changed lanes. When changing from uphill to downhill (or vice versa) it sometimes loses the car ahead and accelerates. It basically tries to kill you, most of the time.

Sounds insane to me to put this on 2 wheels. Maybe it can detect a bad situation and auto-honk or something, but I wouldn’t trust it to touch my brakes. Feels like they're solving a problem I just don't have.

epswing fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 16, 2022

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Long weekend, motorcycle, ice cream… hard to go wrong.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Steakandchips posted:

(e.g. at a drive through)

What?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Strife posted:

Christ I wish my Road Glide had a reverse. And a backup camera.

If that thing had reverse I’d expect it to beep loudly when backing up.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
The PO of my bike had the stock mirrors mounted upside down (below the bars), which looked cool and did clean up the front a bit, but I just don't want to have to look that far down to see my mirrors. Out of habit I actually kept looking at where my mirrors should be and kept seeing pavement, which was disorienting. I returned them to stock pretty quickly.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Maybe this is too heavy for a simple Show Your Bike thread but, while I do like the style, and like the modern aspects even more, and actually kind of want one, does it bother anyone else that they're called Indian Motorcycle?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

knox_harrington posted:

I got a new (to me) bike. 2020 Scrambler Icon Dark with 2000km on it.

Nice!

Russian Bear posted:

Gosh Scramblers look so nice :allears:

They really do.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
What? All bikes? That can’t be right, I’ve owned a raft of mostly Suzukis and Harleys and never kept them on a tender other than over the winter. Haven’t had a problem with a battery that wasn’t already on its way out.

epswing fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jul 1, 2022

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Slavvy posted:

Twins and singles can be hard to crank because if you think about it, the starting system only has to overcome one compression event at a time. In an fzr600 that translates to cranking over four 150cc singles in sequence, whereas the sv is a pair of 325 thumpers.

Ha, yeah I’ve thought about this, when I start my sporty I need this poor battery to overcome almost 200 psi on a 600 cc cylinder :stare:

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Slavvy posted:

Honestly if they all worked like that I wouldn't hate them so much. I don't like it when I'm trying to drag the rear while turning at low speed and the front suddenly grabs, it's especially bad on scooters.

Wtf which bikes do this??

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Tyro posted:

2017 SV650 ABS, just over 10K miles.

Nice, always loved the look of the round-headlight SVs, old and new.

Tyro posted:

Now to make room in the garage, it's a real tight fit right now between my car all the kids' stuff.

Fixed for me :bighow:

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Oibignose posted:

Bought a 125 for winter commuting.

Why? Just don't want to inflict salt on your main bike?

Also is that a couch in your garage? :jebstare:

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Getting some fall riding in before the snow and salt hits in a month or two.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Slavvy posted:

Do you have working brakes now?

Rear brakes are good, front brakes still suck, but they’re good enough for now. Will tackle the fronts over the winter, and after rebuilding the rear (where I gained knowledge and tools), should take a day or two rather than 3 weeks lol.

Especially now that they’ve stopped selling the EVO Sportster, the more I know about maintaining this bike the better off I’ll be.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Who cares about rear brakes? Fixing the front brakes should be an absolute priority.

Heh, after posting I figured that was coming. The front brakes relatively suck, compared to brakes on other bikes I’ve ridden. And this is the first dual disc I’ve owned, so my expectation was high, I was expecting a lot of stopping power with minimal effort. But they’re ‘just ok’, which I’m attributing to the bike just being 17 years old and needing some love.

The rear was dragging and needed attention. Also, rebuilding the rear MC and caliper was a good dry run for servicing the front, which, I agree, actually matters, and didn’t want to muck up on munchkin’s first brake job.

epswing fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 10, 2022

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Where does the funding actually come from for development of that… that thing?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

I do love it, but I have to ask, are the wheel colors intended to be mismatched?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

opengl posted:

100 miles of backroads brapping on the new to me Duke today.

Which Duke is it?

Russian Bear posted:

Dang that almost makes me want to live in a place with seasons.

Don’t do it! Ok it’s pretty for a couple weeks, but then you park your precious for months (while still paying for insurance year round :canada:).

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Strife posted:

I'll be 37 on Thanksgiving. But I have an illness that comes with arthritis as a sort of weird package deal. I've had pretty bad joint pain since my early 20s, and it's only gotten worse as I've gotten older (and had bones filled with Ti).

It's actually one of the biggest reasons I ride a Harley.

Not trying to be insensitive but... what's the connection between joint pain and Harleys? Or am I dense and that was a joke I didn't understand?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Ah, yeah, they’re comfy. I rented a Heritage Softail Classic while on a trip to LA, and I could hardly believe that after 6+ hours in the saddle I felt mostly fine. On any bike I’d previously owned my body would have been totally broken, and had naively and ignorantly settled into a “motorcycles are somewhat painful to ride, just part of the package” mentality.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Toronto skyline

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Strife posted:

There's something very peaceful about this picture. Also the lighting almost makes your Scrambler look like a cell shaded drawing which is pretty rad.

Yeah, looks like a video game, something about it. Nice photo.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Now that’s a motorcycle.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Remy Marathe posted:

Nice, good effort composition

That nondescript warehouse really livens things up, otherwise it’d be just another boring motorcycle photograph.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

IronDoge posted:

Got this 2006 V-Strom DL1000 last year. Seems to be holding up fine, aside from the stripped oil drain plug the last owner neglected to mention of course.

Nice! More than a decade ago I owned an ‘06 DL650 for a couple years and have fond memories. When the V-Strom nose design (maybe 2010+?) turned into the pointy “beak” I thought it was so ugly. What’s the odo reading?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
That is such a handsome motorcycle. Which Honda is that again? Every time you post it I drool a bit.