Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Retro Futurist posted:

My partner’s trying to recall one

-pc game from the early 90s
-character had a butterfly net
-you had to collect gems
-there was a mine level

My first thought was Drilling Billy but it didn't have gems nor a butterfly net so I'm really not sure why I was thinking that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
It's not Arcanum is it? Although I don't remember cave prisons there so probably not.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

SweetBro posted:

What's the game that's like an anime styled dungeon crawl that's kind of like Slay The Spire, except your decks are built up from up to 4 characters you recruit. One of them is a dude that makes swords which are basically STS like shivs. Another one is a chick with a chainsaw. You yourself actually play a 5th character that doesn't fight but instead provides various party/exploration buffs as you level up. The enemies themselves are mostly static front facing images, and the game has some pretty indepth boss mechanics. One of which is like a fire elemental chick that has a mechanic based around passing around a DoT between your characters to effectively damage her.

I punched in all the relevant tags into Steam search and this is the only one that looked like it would fit your description. Is that it?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1188930/Chrono_Ark/

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
There was some sort of space strategy game on PC from the 90s that my dad used to play, I'd really like to find out what it was but unfortunately I don't remember much about it.
What I do remember is:
It was all in tiny 2d sprite graphics, kind of like Dune maybe.
It had ground battles that played out in real time, but I'm not sure if you actually controlled the units or if it was just a visualization of the battle. I think it was the latter.
It had a race of "space hippos" of some kind. I think they might have preferred planets with a lot of water.

That's all I remember. Really not expecting anyone to know what I'm talking about.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Baller Time posted:

Could be Deadlock: Planetary Conquest or it's sequel

Oh yeah, I think that's the game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Okay, gently caress, I need this thread's help.

I just read an article about Jonestown and it triggered a memory about a video game with a character, with an evil german accent, that says something like "Actually they were primarily using Flavor Aid at that time." and I cannot remember what game that was.
Does anyone have any idea what game I'm talking about? I need to figure it out or it's gonna drive me mad trying to remember it.

EDIT: For some reason I want to say that it was one of the Zero Escape games but I'm pretty sure that's not it. Maybe something similar though.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 25, 2021

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Nah, I never played that.
I don't think it was a game that took itself seriously. It was something more over the top and tongue-in-cheek.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

SkeletonHero posted:

It might be a long shot but apparently almost that exact exchange is in Hellsing Abridged, which is video game-adjacent and would explain the German accent.

Found the scene in question:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z99xMxWNBEg&t=796s

Lmao. Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking of. Thanks.
I have no idea why I thought it was from a video game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

MonkeyforaHead posted:

My Q: what was that indie RPG series on Steam that's vaguely in the vein of SMT but the entire point of it is to find synergies between the myriad of different mechanics to break the game in half over your knee (because if you don't, the enemies will do the same to you)?

Siralim? It owns.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

signalnoise posted:

I have a real problem with that series and it's that the logo sometimes reminds me of the logo for Sirlin Games

I can sympathize.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

HenryEx posted:

I have no idea what Castle of the Winds is, but did it look like this?

If so, that would be Decker.

(Here's a web version to play in your browser)

poo poo, I remember trying to play it as a kid and being very confused.
Maybe I should give it another shot.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Retro Futurist posted:

Truly, Animal Crossing is the Dark Souls of videogames. Also you're not arguing for some kind of player skill, you're asking for the next souls game to have an enemy approach you, automatically defeat you, and go "Deal with it! That's life, kid! " (which is already my experience with Souls games)

Great strawman there bud.

Here's a cuhhhhrazeh controversial opinion:
Games occasionally doing things that you don't expect/that are outside of your control is actually cool and good.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

boof posted:

Okay thread, hopefully someone can help me here because this has been driving me nuts all day.

I woke up this morning with a piece of game music in my head. It's a short loop that I recall playing over and over.

If I were to guess the era and type of game, it would have been mid-90s (Commodore 64 probably?) and probably a platformer.

I found a random website that would let me recreate the song as it sounds in my head. Hopefully this link works and there should be a play button on the page that loads.

Thanks a lot, not it's stuck in my head and I probably never seen that game even.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Fruits of the sea posted:

Looking for an extremely weird open world sex(?) game that made a splash on Steam this year. The player takes over a resort which is inhabited by three anime women. Inexplicably, the trailers demonstrate extremely janky driving and firing a gun. Also you can take lurk and take creepy pictures of the women inhabiting the resort.

Do you need an intervention?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Kobal2 posted:

I swear this game exists (and has been at least partially LP'd on this forum years and years ago) but my Google fu sucks apparently. Or possibly Google sucks now.

It was a Russian squad-based tactics game, either turn-based or RTWP. Typical russian hard-as-balls one-bullet-cripples-you stuff. Probably not officially translated but there was a fan translation I think. Based on some Russian survivalist novels I believe, the setting is your usual post-Soviet post-apocalypse minus the apocalypse - no nuclear war or alien catastrophe à la Metro ; just your ordinary complete societal collapse, AK bullets used as currency, bandits and marauders everywhere, the Red Army still holding a couple cities but most of the country is a wild west free for all.

You start controlling just the one person, who's an ex-army guy turned survivalist, he's claimed an appartment building for himself (and maybe his wife as well ? I'm not too sure) and goes around scavenging, gets into scrapes with bandits and so on. I remember that at some point you have to defend your building from a big horde of barely armed locals because you're hoarding all the food and they're starving. Then you get to know and train a young rookie who may or may not be an army deserter, and at some point you're contacted by the military to do Something, explore an abandonned mine or something like that. The details escape me at this point and I think that's where the LP died out.

ETA : oh, it was probably released somewhere in the 2000s - 3D graphics, I think full 3D but might have been isometric, pretty sure the models were 3D rather than sprites ; so clearly later than Jagged Alliance 2 ; around the Silent Storm era I would say.

You're describing the story of Metro but the most well-known game based on that book is an FPS not a tactics game.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 14, 2022

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Kobal2 posted:

Yeah I know, that's the problem - I know it's not Metro (it's an older game than that, also very much not an FPS) but every search I run points me towards it for obvious reasons.

It's weird, I should know of a Russian tactics games but the only ones of note were the 3 Silent Storm games and a couple of fantasy games based on that engine, don't think either of those describe what you're talking about unfortunately.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
I watched an LP of that game and it's...really special.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Serperoth posted:

Someone is posting about a game on twitter and its feeling awfully familiar

Vertical cabinet arcade game, not a shmup, but an action RPG, you fight enemies on foot, spells and swords and stuff. Had multiple playable characters, from the 90s.

Im sure I've read about it but the name is coming up blank

Gauntlet?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
There was an early 90s Fantasy PC RTS game I used to play.
The maps were a bunch of floating island and you would build bridges between the islands and IIRC the combat was primarily fought by building towers rather than units.
Anyone has any idea what I'm talking about?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

THE BAR posted:

Netstorm: Islands at War.

That's the one, thanks.
Also wow, it's not even on GOG.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Anyone remembers the name of that one JRPGer where you gain different stats on your level up depending on the nutritional content of food you ate between level ups?

It was either a PS1 or PS2, IIRC.

EDIT: It was Ehrgeiz.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Commander Keene posted:

Her Majesty's SPIFFING is a point-and-click game that does a lot of parody, and if you turn on the "American" VA option in the menus, you get... a laugh track.

Based.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
All 3 Silent Storm games loving ruled.
It was the only one doing the "bounce a bullet through a wall, off a nazi's helmet into the face of another nazi" technology until Sniper Elite came along a decade later.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Pierzak posted:

SS, SS Sentinels, and Hammer & Sickle? Or am I missing anything?

Yes, I meant those 3.

There was also Day Watch and Night Watch. Two games using the same engine, based on a series of Russian urban fantasy novels, but those games weren't that great and IIRC didn't even have the environmental destruction.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Are the people behind That Which Sleeps not the same people as the ones behind Shadows Behind the Throne/Shadows of Forbidden Gods?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
A fantasy beat'em'up game around the DOS era, for PC, traditional isometric perspective but single screen. Notable feature was having an overworld map with a dragon on it that you could fight.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Mischievous Mink posted:

Sounds to me like Moonstone: A Hard Days Knight maybe? It definitely has a dragon that you don’t wanna run into on the world map. https://youtu.be/i6M9_h_2rgA?si=x0N06Cf2suhhWJ4e
it’s quite fun IMO!

Yes, that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

There was a PC game that was, like, "this unspecified threat with a weird name (that is the name of the game) is coming for this town in 3 weeks, what do you have your heroes do in that time?" and it was options like fight in the arena, work at the hospital, hunt down criminals, tend a garden, etc. All just choosing options from a list, and getting illustrations and text describing what happens. At the end, the threat would come in and you'd probably fail to stop it, but your heroes might still be able to help the town rebuild afterwards.

It was a game of building an implied narrative out of disconnected elements, I'd say, plus admiring some nicely-made illustrations. Someone LP'd it on SA once (in the last decade, probably?), a one-and-done with no replays to see how things might have turned out differently.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/269030/The_Yawhg/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLAe7mTnCik