Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Especially Part-Time Narrator.
HEE HEE NOW I'M THE FULL TIME NARRATOR!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Mister Kingdom posted:

Oh, it's a great Rifftrax, but goddamn.
The Oogieloves movie makes me think of Star Wars Holiday Special, due to the sheer misguidedness of the whole thing. I hope they don't do a riff of oogies though, because then I'd have to watch it.. :I

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

I'm glad they like it! I've been avoiding watching it due to the terribleness of clips I've seen.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Thank God for Rifftrax, because Hunger Games was a mess. Tracker jackers and muttations galore!

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

MassRayPer posted:

I honestly thought the movie was fine. The Rifftrax made it more enjoyable, but it seemed pretty competent and not as goofy as a lot of the Sci-Fi stuff they do.
True, but most of those goofy ones didn't make $400 million. I guess the best I can say is that compared to other blockbusters it's not as bad as Last Airbender or Day After Tomorrow.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Deadpool posted:

And I know this is the Rifftrax thread, but if you've not had your fill of Birdemic yet I'd recommend checking out the episode the 'How Did This Get Made' podcast did for Birdemic. The guests are Weird Al, who's a huge fan of the movie, and Whitney Moore, who you may know as Nathalie in the film. It's pretty funny.

http://www.earwolf.com/episode/birdemic-shock-and-terror-live/
This is hilarious. Birdemic is a film that needs to be explored to its inexplicable depths.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Liar posted:

Did anyone else notice he filled an empty oil container with drinking water when they went to that river? I couldn't stop laughing at that and how he'd probably die if he drank from that.
I thought it was motor oil at first but a later shot made me think it was antifreeze.

Not that it's an improvement, mind you...

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Liar posted:

This is sort of like saying that I haven't composed a sympathy, but a guy dropping a piano out of a tenth-story window has.
It's also sort of like being Kevin Smith.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Practical Demon posted:

Yeah, something tells me it's more Mike's thing than Kevin or Bill.
He's a positive role model!

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

It doesn't show up on their main page but if you use the "Buy Rifftrax" link its the first item.

http://www.rifftrax.com/vod/christmas-rifftrax-santas-village-madness
Great deal. I'm gonna force my in-laws to watch this on Christmas day!!!

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Gavok posted:

The one in Merlin's lab with the Tada song was in the Santa Claus movie, but they cut the scene out for time for the MST3K episode.

I demand a Pitch/Ogre team-up.
That is a crazy bit of trivia. The K does stand for Klaus!

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

SpaceGodzilla posted:

When I saw that part I literally said "I need a gif of that". Thank you.
Literally?

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Golbez posted:

I was never in to MST3K when it was on TV, so forgive me if this is a stupid question: How did "cutting the puppetry and going audio only" open up new films? Were there films that didn't mesh with their previous format, and how was that previous format so different?
In the beginning, most of the films they riffed were just laying around the TV station (KTMA out of Minneapolis). Really cheap films that the station had obtained the rights to broadcast. Even with the increased budget at Comedy Channel and Sci-Fi, they would have never been able to afford the broadcast rights to stuff like Braveheart or Pulp Fiction.

Going audio only opens up every movie ever released.

(Edit for grammar)

fenix down fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 18, 2013

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

I would loving love to see Mario or the Happening riffed lived.

But who am I kidding, I'll be there no matter what they do. They are going to be making a crazy amount of thank you videos.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

McBain and Cool as Ice are both goon-approved, right?

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

And for gently caress's sake, if you don't have The Guy from Harlem you're doing it all wrong. That is, by far, their VOD masterpiece.
There are TWO REASONS to watch it!

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Fellowship suffers a bit only because it's only Kevin and Mike. The series as a whole is amazing.
Agreed, Two Towers riff is a classic.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

GreenNight posted:

Wait, what? Are they gonna bleep out swears and boobs?
They might do something like MST3K where they pull out an umbrella or something to cover the naughty bits.

Edit: Whoops didn't see new page.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

No one else got the Sue Ellen Mischke joke at my theater. :I

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Snark posted:

It was weird that Rifftrax felt the need to do that, especially since the Kickstarter kid they introduced in the beginning was front and center enjoying that co-ed shower on the big screen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wwilCs4Jqg

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Bedurndurn posted:

They write (or at least used to write) lines for the whole cast, so just because Bill says something doesn't necessarily mean Bill wrote that. There's I think at least 3 other guys who write for them that don't perform.
The rarely seen writing staff show up in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7bXCBl69w4

Luigi Thirty posted:

The writing credits on Starship Troopers were just Mike/Bill/Kevin.
Are you sure Conor and Sean didn't get credit? I saw their names but I don't remember the context.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Dr_Strangelove posted:

Verhoeven on the original DVD commentary track: "The audiences said, 'The slut should have died!'"
The slut is Rico, right?

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

ixnay posted:

There's a new Chuck Norris VOD out today, Silent Rage
Great pick in my opinion. Edgar Wright has cited it as one of his many inspirations for Hot Fuzz.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

therealjon_ posted:

Haha the begining of Silent Rage, perfect The Shining homage.
And they throw in Taxi Driver and Apocalypse Now for good measure.

My favorite scene is near the beginning when Kirby hits Chuck in the legs(?) with a piece of firewood. I rewound it to see that part again probably 10 times.

edit:
via Imgflip GIF Maker

fenix down fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Sep 7, 2013

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Fezz posted:

Which short has the talking lips pillow in the kid's bedroom? Because that's a nitemare waiting to happen.
Beginning Responsibility: Taking Care of Your Things

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Haha I can't believe it. That guy can't catch a break!

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

rereedrumr posted:

VODs at least have the opportunity to keep the source material fresh. Insane found footage bigfoot movie to David Carradine schlockfest to mad scientist movie to giant spiders to blaxploitation (hang on, getting choked up about my beloved kidnapped daughter, and I'm done.) None of them are overlong and there's never a budget for a whole city to get destroyed. Plus, as streaming starts to become even more prevalent than it is, it will be nice to have these VOD titles ready for people, as streaming Harry Potter is sadly probably never a reality..
I'm happy with any new material, but the VODs are pretty great and I'm glad the crew is still enjoying making them. Silent Rage is my favorite so far - Chuck is just so romantic.

Who (or what) were your inspirations when it came to writing the book?

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Awww :(

Well, I appreciate the effort.
The Red letter media guys watched it the other day if you need to see others suffer through it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb_VwaOT4QQ

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Ensign_Ricky posted:

If you missed it, there was a shout-out to Rifftrax in Issue 20 of Revival by Image Comics:

I hate the way comics bold certain words like that. Or maybe she is being very sarcastic about Rifftrax.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

IUG posted:

I thought Guy From Harlem was a bit overrated as a Riff, however.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

http://supercultshow.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/7960_original.gif

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

ringu0 posted:

The live stream URL of the 2014 MST3K Turkey Day Marathon is... well... live.
Any guesses as to what the lineup will be?

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

gfanikf posted:

Okay cool. I just didn't want to fill this one up since its (technically) OT.
Well Kevin plugged Rifftrax so it should be A-OK to post about MST3K in here haha.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

The Cosby joke was great but the "Gamersgate" one seemed to kind of flop with the audience.
I'm sick of all these girl games!!

Overwined posted:

No joke, when they made the MLP joke a bunch of people in my theater groaned with displeasure.
Get owned nerds.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Omnishambles posted:

WTF is this poo poo?
Good point, soccer is by far the most popular sport in Minnesota.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Not sure what @midnight is but the guys are killin it already.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

X-O posted:

Their goal is $5.5 million? For 12 episodes? Good luck with that guys.
Should have a million by the end of the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

grahf987 posted:

I never really understood why the MST3K cast were not willing to come together? I looked it up a few times but it was all hear say and conjecture. I just assumed Joel was a dick and quit, and Mike took up the slack. Money for sure because or the rights of the show. Joel was a founder though, with more time I have come to appreciate him as Mikes equals, and in a certain light better. From what I read he was not the problem at all. Anyway I hope they can all buy a tricked out VW bus of their own now and have a speaker setup that calls everybody "Big McLargeHuge, with a la,la,la" and various other Blast HardCheese nick names at the local foundry, fire department, and sewage plant that lets you know you too can be buff and outsmart a handrail death.
I can't speak for Joel, and don't want to downplay the complexity of the situation, but from hearing him speak and watching him answer people's questions about the topic, two things kinda stand out to me. He is not interested in drama of any kind, and that is partly why we mostly have hearsay and conjecture about why he left the show. The other aspect is branding. In the 90s, he didn't want to get branded as "The guy from MST3K," and when he circled back around to do Cinematic Titanic, he was clearly trying to hit a different niche than Rifftrax.

That being said, the lines have been become blurred, and no matter the exact reason, he is obviously ready to be fully immersed again in Rifftrax & MST3K.

• Locked thread