Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I picked up Final Fantasy Tactics the other day. I'm slowly wrapping my head around its inner workings and I read the wiki entry, but is it better to pick five guys from my roster and use them exclusively, or should I rotate active characters regularly? The latter seems really tedious, but the former sounds like if someone dies I'd have a hell of a time grinding levels for his replacement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I am and I do and I say thank you.

I had actually already finished chapter 1 before I decided to restart entirely, because I was struggling terribly and didn't seem to be able to get any JP at all, and wow it's already such a noticable difference now that I know roughly what I'm doing.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Pierzak posted:

Whaaaat there's a fix for this CODED FEATURE of PSP version? :aaaaa:
Sooo grabbing now.
Yeah I just installed it and, everyone who is only now getting around to playing this game, get that patch. You may think "eh, it's not so bad", and really it isn't, but it's so much better patched.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Any tips for the original Sam & Max: Hit the Road? Not asking for hints for puzzles, just how I should... go about it I guess.
When Sam says "more money than we'll ever need" he means it. You either have money or you don't, once you have some you'll never run out no matter how much poo poo you buy.

Other than that the standard LucasArts MO is: go everywhere, talk to everyone and explore all possible conversation options, take everything that isn't nailed down. If you get truly stuck run through all possible combinations of interactable objects and stuff in your inventory. Max is the solution to an amazing number of puzzles.

Stelas posted:

Always try to walk off the edges of a screen. Some screens are freescrolling but don't really give you any indication of this, and I'm sure I was stuck for ages somewhere because I just didn't think to do that.
Incidentally this is also good advice for Discworld II where some backgrounds are outright designed to make you think they're non-scrolling.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Orgophlax posted:

I'm not sure what questions to ask of FEZ without getting spoilers in return (which I seriously don't want). I know there's something to do with symbols and deciphering stuff and QR codes maybe? I see symbols all over the place but I'm not sure which ones I'm supposed to be taking note of or even how to apply them.

I notice there's an artifact section in your inventory. Do I need to find something first?
Trying to be as careful and vague about possible spoilers as I can:

Like everything else, the symbols of the game's world are square-shaped. Not all of them are part of the same system. You can probably figure it out by watching what kind of symbols show up in the game's dialogue and which don't. Applying them becomes self-explanatory once you decipher them.

When you find yourself in the forest, watch for creatures and what they're doing. Think about if there's something familiar about the situation, then look around.

Artifacts go in your inventory as soon as you find them, which can take some effort. Two of them can help you figure out the symbols.

There are QR codes and they're keys to puzzles, but every QR code puzzle has an alternate solution. If you don't have a way to read them, no biggie.

Don't try and solve every puzzle on your first playthrough. This isn't a "you'll only go crazy" thing, it's actually not possible.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Been playing Arkham City, which is a blast, and I'm starting to wonder how populated with goons the city is going to be post-game, because it's getting to be a bit of a hassle to get from one end to the other. As it should, don't get me wrong, but hunting for Riddler trophies doesn't sound quite as fun with the more powerful enemy types around every corner.

Also, are Riddler's goons one-chance-only? I've accidentally taken down a few (armed Riddler goon + smoke pellet + same context button for "silent takedown" and "interrogate" = :argh:), can I still make the trophies they would have told me appear on the map later by interrogating others or am I out of luck on those now?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Thanks guys. I'm actually almost at the end and have most gadgets, was just wondering if I go collecting postgame if I'll still have to deal with snipers on the rooftops or whatever terrible things Protocol Ten brings to the game (it has commenced but apparently I gotta sort out Catwoman's poo poo before the game tells me just what that entails).

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Robzor McFabulous posted:

I finally got round to getting Final Fantasy 9 from the PSN while on sale. I've had a look at the Wiki entry for some things to watch out for, but it didn't say anything about potential missables. Is there anything worthwhile I need to find/do before certain points of the story? FF7 had quite a bit of this, including two possible party members.
If you're researching missables you may hear about a sword called Excalibur II that's the best sword in the game (I forget if that's overall or for one character). Don't try and go for that one your first time through.

It requires you to reach a certain late-game point within 12 hours of playing time. That sounds doable but it means rushing through the game, skipping so many sidequests and generally having to keep so much of an eye on time that you end up missing everything. Plus I'm pretty sure it's actually impossible on everything but the original PSX version since you need to skip cutscenes to save time (see what I mean about missing everything?), which would require you to open/close the lid on the disc drive. Anyway my point is, that one's technically missable but is also very much a second playthrough thing.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I didn't think the plot was that disjointed. Batshit insane and ridiculous, sure, especially the cutscenes, but in the end I was expecting far, far worse. Actually ended up rather liking the game, just don't expect it to be profound in any way.

Barudak posted:

• Libra is king, as casting it twice will tell you the weaknesses to Esper fights and in regular bossfights it will prevent your AI from wasting time casting debuffs it is immune to
I'd go one further: Eidolon fights are bullshit, open a guide when you hit one and have it tell you exactly what to do. There's not even much strategy to them if you don't.

Don't sweat it with upgrading your equipment. For one, you will not fully upgrade even just one weapon unless you do the whole post-game grinding for items thing. For just playing through the game, pick one weapon for each character and keep upgrading that using the items you get while playing normally. It's not wrong to just stick with each character's starting weapon but you can check a guide for advice on which weapon might be particularly good for each character.

Upgrading itself seems really complex at first but in a nutshell: organic components give low XP, but increase the multplier, technological components give high XP but lower the multiplier. Effective upgrading happens by dumping organic components on an item until you have a 3x multplier, then dumping a bunch of technological components on it all at once. You may need to take a look at the upgrading menus themselves to fully understand that, I certainly did.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

SaxMaverick posted:

No matter how prepared you are, no matter how many hours you've played, you WILL poo poo your pants when a cougar gets you
When I played RDR, I didn't know there were cougars.

You can imagine the rest.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Just got done with The Last of Us and would like to say: the Armor Piercing weapon upgrade is expensive and doesn't seem necessary, but eventually I was kicking myself for not getting it on at least one gun.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I've played Metal Gear Solid 1-3 before, but it's been a while. What do I need to have fresh in mind from those three before I go into MGS 4 for the first time?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Story. And I've been going over the wikipedia articles already so, mainly stuff they may have missed. :v:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That is certainly convenient!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Olaf The Stout posted:

If you like collectibles use an external map. There's a category of them that won't show up on the in-game maps, and backtracking in the game is as bitch or downright impossible at times due to the cinematic nature of the game and how you destroy tons of areas just going through the game.
You can go back to any area that has collectibles through camps, though.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Humanoids count as species to photograph, and there's a surprising amount of diversity around Jade's home.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Anything on Max Payne 3? I'm really bad at it so far.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

quote:

Max Payne stuff
Thanks, that seems to help. It feels like I'm constantly on the edge of death even at easiest difficulty and with full lock-on, but I never actually die so I must be doing something right. :v:

Pretty fun game, glad it was on sale recently or I'd have never picked it up.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

moot the hopple posted:

Guns with laser sights are actively worse than non laser sighted gun because it replaced your default dot reticle with a useless similar dot that's now affected by recoil. So your reticle becomes a spastic dot that jumps all over the place and is hard to pick out. With the default reticle you always know where your point of aim is, laser actually requires you slack off shooting so that the gun settles.

This is something I wish I knew before a particularly difficult level. I picked up a laser sight SMG just to try it out, next door was a checkpoint that prevented me from backtracking, so I was stuck fighting with a poo poo weapon.
So, I was wary of them, turns out you can just turn off the laser sight. :v: Select on PS3. Definitely a good idea to turn it off though for this exact reason.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Don't focus on one gang storyline at a time. Spread it out. If you stick to one until its done then the pacing just falls apart.
On the other hand, I agree, and I played it either way. Spreading out and just doing whatever was way more fun than rigidly sticking to one storyline after the other. You don't get huge jumps from "complex end-of-arc mission, huge reward" to "introductory mission for small change", for one.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vlad the Retailer posted:

Anything I should know for Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments? How easy is it to mess up and get the culprit wrong?
You'll be able to combine the clues in each case into several possible stories, and each is perfectly plausible. If you don't read the clues and examine the evidence closely, it can seem like guesswork, but you can work everything out fine if you do. You'll also get the option to check your solution against the intended one after each case (and even go back and pick a different one), but generally you'll know you got it right when you get a lengthy, elaborate, sometimes interactive cutscene.

Always examine the hell out of suspects before you interrogate them.

There's an early chemistry puzzle where the instructions threw me off a bit. When it says "color A must be followed by color B", that means you have to put B after A every time A shows up in the sequence. Just once, like I thought, isn't enough.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Weapon development in MGSV is doing my head in. I'm many, many hours in and have barely developed anything, getting most of my missions done (quite easily, too) with the tranq pistol and a tranq sniper rifle plus the occasional decoy or grenade. There's just too much stuff to develop and my decision capability shuts down. Usually what I do in these situations is buy the cheapest upgrades available as long as my money lasts but I feel like in this game that would lead to a lot of redundancy, plus there's the general cost of just playing the game to consider.

Thing is, I remember that I had the same issue in MGS4, ignored the whole weapon system there, and eventually ran into a situation where that totally hosed me over, so I'd rather avoid that. So: what do I develop / what kind of weapons will I absolutely need at some point?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

al-azad posted:

Sell your precious materials. Very few things use them and you probably have a stockpile of several thousand doing nothing. That's millions of GMP right there. If you're not doing FOB stuff then all the placement weapons are entirely pointless as well. You can also sell all but one or two of your vehicles for combat deployment.
... I never looked at the sales prices. I left tons of weapons standing around in the wilderness because it costs 5000 GMP to extract one and I never had any use for them, but they sell for almost twice that at least! I'm stripping those outposts bare from now on.

Got like 50000 biological material as well. And holy poo poo, Black Carrots are a cash crop. They're everywhere and they sell for 1000 a pop.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My base is full to the brim. I've almost got more guys in the waiting room than in any one unit. Fuel is becoming a big bottleneck.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

you'll eventually get a free FOB which doubles your capacity
Oh ho ho ho! That I did not know. I think I'm pretty close to that point as well.

I'm extracing pretty much only A ranks and above anymore but keep everyone in the waiting room. If the FOB increases capacity that much, some below-B ranks in the wild that would otherwise get left in a ditch can count themselves lucky soon!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I happened to read some info about Quiet in the later stages of the game that leaves me wanting more info, but no further spoilers.

What I know is that she becomes unavailable after mission 45 or so (but not why) unless you use the butterfly element in your emblem. "Well I'm not gonna get that anyway" I thought, but turns out I underestimated her zeal and I got it, and now I'm wondering whether to go for it. So how does this work - from what I understand, if you use the butterfly, the mission where she disappears never pops up until you remove it, so you can essentially halt game progress, do all the side ops, replays etc. with her you want, and either keep it that way forever or take the butterfly off, lose her and move on. Or is it like a one-time choice between two gameplay paths?

For my money, she's pretty drat great support, but from what I hear she's mostly handy for replaying missions for S ranks, which I don't care about, and easily capturing bases/extracting soldiers, which seems easy enough without her. (Particularly with some of the equipment I've heard about.) And I'd rather not miss whatever story event makes her unavailable. So am I safe to assume that the butterfly trick is for optimizers and I'm better off just moving on normally, taking the hit of her loss, and most importantly, being able to keep SNAKE WHISKEY?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm playing through Shadow of Mordor for the first time and I figure I'll take my time in the first map, just so when I get the gamechanger power, I'll be familiar with what the game changes from, y'know? I also upgrade my health regularly and manage to die fairly regularly because I'm bad at games, good on them to make that work in my favor.

I was also thinking "dang Talion's VA does a good job of sounding like Troy Baker" the whole time until I checked.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Nohman posted:

Also Shadow of Mordor: GOTY? It kind of barfs a ton of DLC. Is some of it broken cheat items or garbage I should uninstall?
From my experience with it, if you have the DLC runes you can pretty much ignore any other rune the game throws at you.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yeah, I thought I'd try and play the game as vanilla as possible and purposefully not equip any of the DLC runes. Then I met a poisonous captain and I was immediately like "gently caress that poo poo" and geared up.

Kenny Logins posted:

Most importantly, mainline the main quest until you are about 11 or 12 missions (i.e. halfway through) because the story-unlocked powers make the game and sidequests much more fun.
I think it's worth it to take your time with the first Warchief assignment. You'll eventually unlock an ability that dramatically expands your basic conception of how to approach things, and I feel like the payoff is bigger if you took your time through the first half.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Sleeping Dogs - environmental moves take enemies out of the fight immediately and you don't need to soften them up before you do one.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

well, the working distance for rape is usually even shorter, so

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Zaodai posted:

Depends on how well made the machine is, clearly! Japan has made great strides in this area.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Keeshhound posted:

You'd have better luck doing it as a smart phone game and using QR codes.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

None of the businesses you can buy are really worth it, they generate income but it's so little that even making your initial investment back would take longer than you'll probably play the game.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Since it came up in the PS4 thread, there's a tip for Saints Row 2 on the wiki that says you should do gangs in a certain order. I've done that and I also played it just doing whatever I felt like, and the second time it was a lot more fun. If you do gangs in order you'll only ever see the same 2-3 characters in cutscenes and you'll go from big reward end-of-storyarc missions to $100 intro ones, but if you play the three arcs at about the same pace, you get a nice variety in cutscenes and a much better sense of progression through the game and chaos rising in three corners of the city.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I haven't played it (I keep meaning to) but I faintly recall hearing from multiple sources that Ciphers are basically the god-kings of unique dialogue.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

RatHat posted:

Anything for Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut? The page on the wiki is mostly for the base game so some stuff might not apply anymore.
The DLC kicks in near the end of the game and there's no way to skip it. It takes away all your upgrades, but you earn some praxis points playing it and you get a hefty amount back at the end so you can redo upgrades. I came out with more points total than when I went in, but I've heard people say they came out with less.

Whatever way you spec Jensen in the main game, for the DLC the cloaking system is very useful. Hacking skills less so because codes can be found easily. At least that's what I thought back when I played it based on some old posts.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

RatHat posted:

How do you define "fast" when you're dealing with time travel?
You can dick around grinding for hours upon hours before you go do the thing you're supposed to. Checks out.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I asked a similar question in the general Steam thread, but figured it might be better for here: I genuinely have never played GTA4, but really enjoyed 5, both single and multiplayer (mostly for doing random poo poo, owning property, playing minigames like golf, etc). I already sort of own it (sharing libraries with my wife, and she owns it). What should I know about it? I'm aware that the car physics are kind of hosed, but I don't really care. Also I heard that the DLC is pretty great, right?
A few missions revolve around chasing someone you're supposed to kill, and some of them are set up so they're invulnerable until you arrive at a scripted spot where you'll enter into a shootout with them. Don't waste ammo and time trying to gun them down during the chase. Caveat: not all chase-and-kill missions work this way.

Taking your friends to activities increases their friendship ratings, and they'll do favours for you if you keep them high. It gets tedious pretty quickly. The most useful favour is probably Little Jacob's, who sells you guns at a discount anywhere you are. Driving friends to activities does give you a ton of dialogue that elaborates on the characters, events in the game, relationships etc. so if that's your thing you may like it more than most people.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Can you ride the subway? What are some neat non-story things you can do?
You can see some standup sets by Ricky Gervais and Katt Williams, and Frankie Boyle in the DLC.

e: if you spare someone's life, chances are you'll bump into them in the street later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Anyone playing Guilty Gear Xrd REVELATOR should know you can unlock Raven through the fishing minigame and don't need to grind 200.000 W$. Granted, I don't think you're technically guaranteed to get him for less this way, but considering fishing is 200 a pop, your chances are pretty good. It took maybe 40.000 for me. Same goes for Elphelt's alternate design.

Also play the tutorials and watch Story Mode for a ton of easy fishing cash.