Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I'm looking at getting back into Shadowrun Returns after burning out after the first mission when it came out. Wiki and forum search haven't given me any luck, so any advice from folks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Anyone poked at Chroma Squad enough to have some tips. Especially on early email choices, or actor picks? Or totally obvious mechanics I haven't noticed yet.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Poison Mushroom posted:

* Speed is super important for getting the extra bonuses, and really hard to buff, so -Speed is super hard to deal with. Think really, REALLY hard about using a low-speed actor.
* Other than that, the most important stat is +Skill, especially on your healer. Being able to use your best skill a turn sooner almost always tops out whatever other benefit you might have.
* The only items you ever really NEED to craft are your robot, the +Speed boots (which are good for the whole game on certain characters/builds) or the +Throw Range gloves for one or two missions. (The season finale where you have to damage the producer in the first turn, most notably.)
* You can craft other items, some of the weapons can be pretty decent, but you're under no compulsion to.
* Even then, don't waste money on crafting mats unless you have money to burn.
* Usually, by the time a five-episode contract with one marketing company ends, you've unlocked at least one better one. Use whichever suit your playstyle.
* If you really can't pick, flat money bonuses are good short-term choices, while things like +Fan Conversion and +Viewers are best for long-term planning.
* How you handle the Season 4 finale decides what your final season and ending are.
* Ending choice spoilers: For the Sixth Ranger ending, take out the boss before the minion, and let the minion join. For the Metal Heroes ending, take out the boss first, but don't let the minion join. For the Masked Rider ending, take out the minion first.

Do you mean Movement, and Skill Regen? Also, thanks!

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

juliuspringle posted:

One thing I noticed for Fallout 4, If you make a sniper rifle (or find maybe I made mine) you have to HOLD the left stick to hold your breath (which lowers AP as long as you hold it) clicking it and letting go doesn't do anything.

Yes, this totally screwed me up. Whatever your bash/grenade button is must be held, draining AP for as long as your hold your breath.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Katreus posted:

Any advice for Wasteland 1?

Other than play Wasteland 2 instead?

Previously when asked
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2969807&pagenumber=557&perpage=40#post457082498
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2969807&pagenumber=557&perpage=40#post457091319

Were the responses.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Due to Humble Bundle I'm curious if there's anything important to know in Citizens of Earth ?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Count Chocula posted:

I'm going to get Demon's Souls. The wiki entry is pretty barebones and assumes you've never played a Souls game before (since it was the first one, obviously). Anything more detailed for a Souls vet?

Don't put down your controller when facing NPCs. Especially with a Sixaxis (as opposed to a Dualshock2). Very very easy to accidentally aggro and/or kill them if your R2 registers, and no way of reverting it that I recall.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Count Chocula posted:

Anything for The Swindle?

In addition to earlier post , re: the PS4 version :

You have to hold the button to keep hacking, including when it asks you to input other buttons.
Use the D-pad rather than the stick for hacking things to avoid accidental mispresses, mostly notable on things that blow up.
Ghost bonus requirements seem to be 100% of the money and no alarms. Breaking things/guards/usingbombs doesn't affect this?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

texting my ex posted:

XCOM 2 is 12bux on humble monthly, what should I know? I played the previous game, and kinda sucked at it

Regarding timers. There is no Turn 0.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

GhostBoy posted:

Sadly I think you are looking at a restart. "Simulate WItcher 2 Save" is the option for people who did not play the other game and want to set their world state, as opposed to importing a save. If you didn't get the option to import and you have a save from the earlier game, it could be in the wrong place. This IGN article has the details on how to fix the file being in the wrong place, but if you didn't have a save and want to specify your choices, you have to restart and choose the other path.

It's a bit tricky to find an authoritative source on what the default choices are, but from what I can tell it amounts to Aryan LaValette is spared, Letho and Sile are dead, you sided with Roche and helped Anais rather than come to Triss' rescue. The practical effects are that you lose out on a cameo, a sidequest, romancing Triss may be harder (cannot say if it's impossible though), the world is a bit more anti-mage and Roche likes you better from the off.

I'd say it's for people who DID play the earlier game (or watch it I guess), and can't import their save for whatever reason.

If you didn't play Witcher 2, I find it hard to see any reason not to just run default other than one or two quests amongst the flood of stuff to do the game already gives.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

MockingQuantum posted:

Anything for The Flame in the Flood?

You heal injuries by going to the correct page of your menu that lists them, and clicking on an item to use to fix it. If there are multple items listed, up to you which you use.
I thiiink the condition with have an icon at the end of it's bar if it progresses, and not if it fades with time.

Stuff in dog backpack carries over between runs.

If you really want more mold, mulberries go off relatively fast.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Nioh

You can block some stuff that seems like you shouldn't be able to, like things breathing fire.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I'm pretty sure that is not correct. As and when you get the DLC the appropriate things will appear to let you access it. You do have to beat a boss with the initials V.A. to access the area, but doing so before purchasing the DLC should make no difference. The only hiccup can be if you proceed to NG+ at which point you do need to progress to the appropriate point in the story again. [On the same or on a new character.]

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
So many of the points of interest on the map in the Witcher 3 just aren't important though, so you might was well look into them while doing quests, as opposed to exploring fully then starting to do quests.

It could possibly be shortened to "If you start to or don't want to feel bored or burnt out exploring question marks on the map, do the quests, they are fun and have dialogue and context."

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Hmm. For West of Loathing ...

The game autosaves all the time, but you can have multiple characters, the option to switch between or delete them only appears on the main menu once you have multiple.
You can turn off/on the game spending XP for you in the options at any time.
The choice of book from Mom has no long term effects (the others will be available in various ways).
Hover over blue text in item and skill descriptions for an explanation of various game mechanics.
Days passing has some effects on some things.
A no killing run is possible, but does not have an achievement.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

credburn posted:

This is a bizarre question, and maybe inappropriate for this thread; sorry if it is, and I hope it doesn't derail it, but...

I'm trying to play Shadow Hearts on the PS2, but I'm having a hell of a time getting into it. All I hear about is how great it is, but since I also don't want the story spoiled, I don't know much more than it's really, really great. But it's janky as poo poo and the graphics are hilarious lovely early PS2. I can normally get past it, but for some reason it's a real hang up in this game. Parts of the game are rather esoteric, and I imagine it's meant to be extensively investigated, maybe through trial and error? The fact is, I'm out of patience with this game. I don't want to experiment; I basically want advice on what I should be focusing on so that I can just kind of enjoy playing this game. I get the wheel and all that; it's the MALICE and other things like that, and the fox face guy who I can fight but maybe I shouldn't, and I am fighting the second boss which pretty much kills me in one hit and I don't understand why, and sanity confuses me.

PS I'm not an idiot, though possibly one might think so given what I just wrote.

Pretty sure the game does explain this to you but. Killing monsters gains you Malice. If it hits red, you have to face Fox Face, which is bad. When you get the chance go to save points or the world map, and go to the Graveyard from the menu. Talk to masks, fight the embodiment of your built up Malice to clear it and sometimes gain items.

Various things lower sanity including, turns passing, becoming a demonic horror, remaining as a demonic horror. If it runs out, bad things happen.

For things like boss help, go to Gamesfaqs. And if you want to see the special super good ending, you are probably going to need a guide.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Mayor McCheese posted:

My buddies roped me into Destiny 2. Any tips would be appreciated!

Also I heard there's some sort of currency or items I shouldn't cash-in/use until I'm level 20?

Play the things you like. Don't worry too much. Ask your buddies for help. There's not too much you can waste, but maybe not hand stuff to the various planet people until post-story.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
In MGSV:The Phantom Pain (as it's 'free' on PS+ this month) any advise on wether to bother with online stuff at all? Game prompts some optional downloads when you open it and blathers about FOBs but is it only for e-peens?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
http://www.beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Dragon%27s_Dogma

Pretty sure it covers everything relevant to Before I Play. Though I note it doesn't say the "If you want to not miss anything, you'll probably need a guide. So either accept missing things or risk spoiling yourself" type tip which I feel is pretty important. More in-depth stuff is best for the Dragon's Dogma thread in Games I would have thought?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

im cute posted:

If you decide to go for a Human Powers Only run, familiarize yourself with the materials duping exploit because you’re going to be burning through ammo at a much higher rate than if you had typhon powers. Definitely get that shotgun and taser modded ASAP because that’s going to be your only way of really putting it to the bigger, floatier enemies.

I can't imagine that being needed on normal difficulties, but I would say, side-exploring is good for staying supplied. But I would say, if you like killing enemies spend neuromods on killing enemies better. The perk for +damage on all security weapons is good, and focus on +damage on weapon mods for better ammo efficiency.

Also, as should maybe be on the top of all Arkane games BIP pages : Look UP! And sometimes down.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Regarding Destiny 2 There's a bunch of solo stuff, and the stuff you can do with pick up groups is all simple enough to do with pick up groups. Races don't matter. If you make three people, probably better to have one of each class that all of one, as weekly limited stuff can't be done on the same class twice ((IIRC)). Otherwise just play, don't buy lootboxes, try to have fun. If after a while something confuses you, look it up then.

Tylana fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 2, 2018

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Persona 5

A mixture of yes, and it's the bit that is the least fixable if you mess it up which is mostly relevant if you don't want to NG+ to see the true ending. And it has a lot of effect on your options in battling and in improving your stats in battle. Though in 5 at least, if you sort out Fortune relatively early (I forget when they are available at all, but does involve having a big pile of money for one step) you can blow a bunch of money to help skip spending time on Confidant levels. And there's a few ways to make it rain. Though tutorial stuff goes on for a long long time I will warn you.

Basically you just need to choose your own balance between finding your own way and looking stuff up.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

PMush Perfect posted:

Nothing I didn't know, but good to remember.

How about The Sexy Brutale? Mostly concerned about missable collectibles, but general tips would be cool too.

If you want to see what happens before you intervene, it can be worth spending a few minutes just spying on the appropriate area before fiddling with things. I have faint memories of poking things with my puzzle instincts and being confused at how it helped.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

pigdog posted:

More precisely, you need a point of Insight to level up. While meeting the first boss is a common way, you can also find a Madman's Knowledge item in the sewers that can grant you a point. So you don't necessarily need to kill the two werewolves on the bridge first.

There is a shortcut (gap in the fence you can drop down) right after the big bonfire, behind a bunch of breakable stuff to your left.

I'd also say you never have to fight those at all regardless. If an enemy seems too tough and dangerous and isn't a boss, consider not fighting them.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Mayor McCheese posted:

-Equipment Load has thresholds at 0%, 25%, 50%, and 70%. This will effect your roll speed and stamina bar recovery as you become more encumbered.

This is not so true in Dark Souls 2, it's more of a sliding scale, but the thresholds are good rules of thumb.

To dual-wield properly you need 1.5x the required strength and dex of each weapon. The swordsmaster does not start with such stats. Try to two-hand your left hand weapon and if you enter a stance instead, that's dual wielding. (Power Stance is the in game term).

Part of me wants to suggest starting with Dark Souls 1 instead. But I don't have a clear argument for it (other than it being over all better, but not in every single facet).

EDIT : Doh, the wiki page already covers the first two points at least.

Tylana fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jan 6, 2018

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Between a few different confidant powers, P5 is a lot easier to 100% in one run compared to 4 and 3. But you'll still probably have to look up a bunch of stuff, like triggers for sidequests and ways of making money quickly (in game time wise at least). So usual discovery/efficiency considerations as with most video games.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Fat Samurai posted:

Anything I should know about Sunless Skies?
Most of this is 'compared to Seas'

C button (by default) is cruise control. Hard to use with controller though.
You have to equip officers (can only do in port)
It is a trading game now (there's a tutorial at the first port). As well as the other things. Not sure if you can subsist off just port reports.
Lamp doesn't use fuel (I think?) so keep it on as default.
Shunting sideways doesn't use fuel, but turning does. If you really want to go fast, you need to cruise and shunt in a tacking across the wind kind of way.
You can change combat difficulty between deaths.
Kind of cheaty but when playing Legacy You can quit to title before accepting your death in the dialogue box to reload from the last port you were in
If you are kind of lost in a new place, go to the centre of your chart.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

juliuspringle posted:

When you guys say prioritize suits over gadgets in Spider-man does that mean ignore suit mods too or just ignore the actual gadget tab?

I... would suggest the opposite, kinda.

Get one suit power you like. Maybe prioritise whatever passive bonuses you like (I seem to recall you can only equip 3?). But the gadgets are pretty solid.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

BlindSite posted:

Anything I should know before jumping into prey? Regarding skill trees etc: I don't like stealth I like to murder so I want to do that as effectively as possible.

https://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Prey_(2017)This seems still accurate, if you didn't get round to checking the wiki. Maybe disagree on some of the pistol modding stuff, never was that short on upgrade boxes

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Anything for Iconoclasts ? Tempted to poke it as I got in on PS4 at some point, but the wiki seems to lack it.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Omi no Kami posted:

Hmm, anything for Sunless Skies? I remember their prior game having tons of mechanical and economic gotchas you could stumble into by mistake.

Most of this is 'compared to Seas'

C button (by default) is cruise control. Hard to use with controller though.
You have to equip officers (can only do in port)
It is a trading game now (there's a tutorial at the first port). As well as the other things. Not sure if you can subsist off just port reports.
Lamp doesn't use fuel (I think?) so keep it on as default.
Shunting sideways doesn't use fuel, but turning does. If you really want to go fast, you need to cruise and shunt in a tacking across the wind kind of way.
You can change combat difficulty between deaths.
You keep your map between deaths and everything in your bank (and buying a vault is a shared storage across hubs early on) and your current ship (losing one equipped upgrade at random). You also keep all your non-repeated XP and some of your repeatable XP.
Kind of cheaty but when playing Legacy : (In spoilers in case you don't want to be tempted) You can quit to title before accepting your death in the dialogue box to reload from the last port you were in
If you are kind of lost in a new place, go to the centre of your chart.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

The Vosgian Beast posted:

What should I know before I play Shadowrun for the SNES?

Be prepared to grind mooks on the street for money/xp. Once you get a place to sleep, you can pop in and out of it do to so. It's not really quick or good, but my memory thinks it was needed.
As said, you are a weird PC, so you can take all the chrome available without affecting your magic.
Controls are kind of weird, so many look them up?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Dangan Ronpa 1&2 you can't fully friend everyone in a normal playthrough. Trying for a couple of people can unlock extra skills. There's a weird alternative game mode if you want to do lots of hanging out and getting close to people once you beat the game.
Best way to get presents from Monomachine is theoretically one coin at a time.
Mostly just play the game to the end, then poke guides for the sub-games if you care.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Some extra skills are unlocked at different points (Or at Max rank in DR2) but mostly either see who you think you have a good present for, or who you want to know about.
Social progress and presents and such are kept if go and replay chapters (and/or play the postgame thing)

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Being so close to learning someone's secret and then having them die is... very in theme.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Dangan Ronpa 2

Go in blind. Enjoy the ride. You can replay chapters if you really want. There is a postgame mode like in some version of Dangan Ronpa 1 where you can farm up all the chatting scenes. Some of the minigames have changed, so read the instructions. The weird Monomi minigame you unlock gets more stages as you clear the game, mostly just for it's own fun and some monocoins. The tamogachi minigame can unlock a couple of skills if you want to look up a guide for that. (The steam guide was pretty focus and unspoilery IIRC).
Oh and there's a vending machine in the convenience store that lets you buy unlimited amounts of a limited range of gifts, if you just want to give SOMETHING and the capsule machine is too slow and chunky. (I played the PS4 bundle/remaster, hopefully all this still applies)

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
If you only play one game (Of System Shock style) the 2016 Prey is probably the one game. But it's themes and flavours or horror are different.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Disco Elysium : Time passes by talking and other dialogue boxes, but not walking or sitting there thinking (playerside thinking that is).
Make your own saves, it's autosaves are kinda far apart by default.

EDIT : But, it definitely far more of a play blind, just play, own your gently caress-ups kind of game. Notably there are times when failing a check is better for you, or more fun, or more pleasant than passing it. If you really want to dig in and find the 'perfect' route, that's outside this thread.

Tylana fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Dec 17, 2019

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Anything for Titanfall 2 ? Just the singleplayer stuff, poking it because it was free on PS+, but wiki seems a nope.

EDIT : 'Just play it, no gotchas' is also useful info as a reminder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Ainsley McTree posted:

For Prey (2017): is the “manipulate items from a distance” neuromod useful? It sounds like it would be but I don’t wanna waste one of my two safe alien mod spots if not. The description is a bit vague and for all I know it can’t do anything that the nerf gun can’t do better.

Mimic Matter is the thing that gets you into places you can't otherwise. TK is fun, but doesn't really change anything. EDIT : But it does let you pick things up straight into your inventory thruogh grates and stuff.

You don't need to be very scared about taking spoopy mods once you have some gear and understanding of the game. OTOH, not taking any spoopy mods ever is also ezpz. Like, three minor closets with non-unique mods are blocked (though the nerf shot in the morgue is a bit tricksy).