Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Looking for a first bike. Found this http://stlouis.craigslist.org/mcy/2079695524.html guy said bike has 22k miles and crabs were rebuilt at 17k. Does it sound reasonable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

sirbeefalot posted:

good info

Hah oops typo. He said the bike is a 98 and ya i know she won't be a looker, but i'm ok with that.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Generally you take the CBT first(i assume it's same as MSF in the states?) and then get a bike. Also buy gear too please.

Edit: even worse

quote:

CBT must be completed before a learner moped or motorcycle rider is allowed to ride on the road with L-plates or D-plates in Wales.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

What's the comparison between Monster and Sv650? Are they pretty evenly matched or is the only reason to get a duc because you want one?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Did you like the drz? If you did, check out the drz sm. If not I'd go for a new style ninja in your case, newer bike, less to worry about and you'll have plenty left over to get some nice gear. Besides 05 isn't really an "older" super sport by any means.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

How about a street triple if he's considering other nakeds? Might be out of price range though.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

If you were looking at BMWs the F800R just came around, also Ktm super duke. Personally ducati monsters are the ultimate naked sexyness for me, see if there are any used in your area. Although you might want some risers, ducati is synonymous with "torture rack" for some people :v:

Edit: Are you set on 3k or looking to finance. If latter then my first two suggestions are out..

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

If he's set on a Duc, then point him toward the monster. Besides the expensive repair, the maintenance is something you could bring up. Belts HAVE to be done on time, desmo valves adjustment etc.

Those GT1000s are sexy as hell.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Keep looking out. I'm in saint Louis, but some western Illinois stuff shows up all the time. There's a place in ofallon il, I think called elli cycles or something that was advertising a kawi sale. 2009 new ninja 250/500, sherpas, klx250sf all for 3k plus fees.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Where are you by chance? Those 400 are so sexy.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

n8r posted:

Go read the Guzzi forums and see how unreliable new Guzzis are.

No you see, there's no such thing as an "unreliable" Italian bike only Italian bikes with "character".

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Seattle.

Ugh I'm in Saint Louis so no dice. It would've made an awesome first bike though, I'll probably end shopping mid summer or maybe wait till fall. Gotta take care of some other big priorities at the moment :(

Unrelated: are there any stl area goons on CA?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

timn posted:

Would something similar in size and power to Ninja 650 still be appropriate for a starter bike or is that pushing it? Would something a bit smaller like a GS500 definitely be a smarter pick? Like a lot of others I'm interested in getting as many years as possible out of a first bike before wanting something more, but I understand the need to be conservative.

First bike is just that, a first bike. Why do you want to ride just one bike for many years?

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 23, 2011

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

xd posted:

I was wondering if this was a scam. sounds too good to be true.

http://athensga.craigslist.org/spo/2275226209.html

There's an R1 that keeps popping up in my local craigslist for 1900 that's an obvious scam, this one I don't know... looks fishy.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I'd say after the MSF go sit on a Ninja 250, it's not the sport crouch riding position or anything. Honda nighthawk 250 if you want something that looks like a UJM also, but that taps out at 80ish I think so depending on what city you're in that could be a deal breaker.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Get a ninja, it's reliable, there are parts on every corner, it's cheap to run, cheap to insure, cheap to crash.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

The bike will probably be back on CL in a couple weeks. I don't get people sometimes, there's been a dude selling a brand new 2010 Ninja special edition for 4k. The ad has been popping up for 4 or so months, he finally lowered the price a couple weeks ago to 3500... FIRM. Bike has 40 miles on it because he bought it for his wife and she got pregnant the next day or some other bullshit. All the while there are dealers in the area getting rid of new 2009s for 3k plus taxes.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

That's a better deal than any i've seen my in area, saw a 10 year old 650 going for like 4k here wtf?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Maybe a naked SV if you can find one in your price range. Everyone will tell you to get a cheap beat up first bike so you won't cry to your mommy when it tips over, then buy your dream boat naked later.

I'm also gay for naked bikes, a monster haunts my dreams.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I'm in the process of selling my miata, taking the msf and getting on two wheels. A couple years ago, I was all about making the switch, but things precluded me from doing it. So I will be on a lookout for a starter bike. I have a long commute, 40 miles, all highway and am in the St. Louis area as far as climate. I'll have access to a back up car in case there's some totally horrible snow/ice. Has anything changed in the beginner bike market besides more choice nowadays? Ninja 250 (300 is out because of price), CBR 250, SV650, GS500, 400SM? Anything else I'm missing? Still about 1k budget for gear? I'm leaning towards a cbr 250 because larger people are allegedly not knee cramped on them - I'm 6'4 and FI.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

I'm not saying don't, but definitely manage your expectations re how much you're going to want to ride over the winter.

This is a good point, I assumed it will suck riding in the winter, but not sure to what degree suck. Oops I'm not fuel injected :v:, but that FI seems like a nice thing to have. Oh and I'll have a garage to stick the bike in also.

thylacine posted:

Do you have another vehicle and you're trading your fun car for a motorcycle? Because you're not going to make it on the highway when it's snowing and icing and all that poo poo it does in the midwest during the winter unless you buy a Ural or something. Two wheeled vehicles and ice/snow don't mix, unless you have tire spikes and are crazy.

Yes I have another car that I could use and just ride in when it isn't too awfully cold.

Snowdens Secret posted:

If you fit, I'd recommend a V-Strom 650 over an SV. Over a 40 minute highway commute you will very much appreciate the fairing and windshield. Probably a little more ergo room, too. Similarly the Kawasaki Versys, which is to the Ninja 650 what the Wee-Strom is to the SV.

But yeah riding anywhere it gets / stays below freezing for any appreciable part of the year is, at best, one of those "I have years of experience and an arsenal of appropriate clothing and accessories" things. Especially if you have a long highway commute that will inevitably be filled with assholes in SUVs who think their all-season tires and 4WD (not engaged) make them invincible. Realize that you're not going to need a back-up car, you're going to need a winter car.

I don't know how much of a pussy I would be in the cold commute, but I've been known to ride my road bike through the winter (with a lot of appropriate clothing) so I don't know what that says about me dumb probably. The weather here is really weird, some winters it'll be 50 degrees in december; there is generally not a lot of precipitation; we have spells of below zero for a couple weeks, but it's not the norm. I'll keep the versys in mind, thanks!

With all that said, it sounds like you guys are saying it might be better to wait for spring and just keep an eye out on CL for a really good deal in the mean time?

Edit: bmw gs650 also?

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 22, 2013

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

EvilSlug posted:

How do you cram yourself into a Miata? :D

I seem to be proportioned exactly right to fit into my NA miata with 1 inch to spare above my head. I actually really like the seating position. Weirdly, I felt crammed in a NB when I test drove.

Time to find the time and book the MSF.

edit: I don't want to sell really, I love driving this car, but it would be financially irresponsible to keep it right now along with a bike.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Oct 23, 2013

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Oops wrong thread.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 16, 2013

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I'm looking at a new CB300F as a first motorcycle. I know it's generally not advised to get something new as you're likely to rash it up one way or another, but having something that I know works and I don't have to worry about is really appealing. It's a new 2018 model that's left over so I'm trying to see if dealer will play ball for $4k out the door. Would this be a good deal? I might try for lower than that even considering it's a discontinued model.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

The R replaced the F starting 2019 I believe (or they condensed the models), but if I find an R for a similar price I'd go for that of course.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Prices of used bikes have been going corona crazy, so I'm pretty set on just buying new for my first bike. I've been googling about margin fattening fees/actual fees from the dealer. They discounted the bike by $800 on their website, but looks like just added it back in documentation fees.

Price for Yahama MT03 $3900
Freight: 498
Dealer prep: 388
Waste tire fee: 2
Sales tax: 415
Document/Admin: 600

Set in stone:
Freight (although this was about $75 higher than what yamaha has stated on their website)
Sales tax
Registration

Pork:
Document/admin
Dealer prep
Waste tire fee (lol what this was $2)

Obviously I will negotiate on out the door price, but I want to give a reasonable counter offer since I know the margins on entry level bikes are slimmer. I was thinking $4900 out the door. Am I on the right track here? It's a 2020, entry level bike, so I doubt they have much wiggle room. I just want to pay a fair price.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I wasn't getting much of an answer googling this, maybe because "it depends on the dealer", but do motorcycle dealers get a better deal with financing through the manufacturer? So if I finance through yamaha (0 apr deal right now), do they make a little on the kickback and therefore more likely to play ball on a lower price?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Jcam posted:

I know financing a recreational vehicle isn't the best decision and it may be more than you're interested in spending, but Ducati is doing 0% up to five years on the majority of their bikes right now. Scramblers specifically, that's why I went with mine instead of something like an XSR700 or an SV650. Food for thought at least.

Yamaha has 0 for 36 months right now on that model. I'd love a Monster, but it's too much.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

With the Vitpilen/Svartpilen now at 5k are they suddenly a good deal? $500 less than the Duke, same engine and electronics, arguably better looks. I'm still leaning towards an MT03, but I have a Husky dealer in town that a coworker recommended, so it crossed my mind.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I actually like the MT03 looks wise, especially in the non black colorway and it will be cheaper than the Husky and won't have any mechanical foibles. But man, the Huskies look good.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Coydog posted:

Is recommending a used Ninjette still acceptable? I feel like as the forum has aged we have moved towards "gently caress it just buy new who cares".

If you don't have your heart set on either bike, just buy a used low displacement bike and save your money for the bike you really want in a year. With how the world looks, I wouldn't be signing myself up for big purchases right now anyways.

Used bike market is INSANE where I am, so much so that buying new seems to make sense for entry level bikes given the added benefits (everything works, warranty). I'm keeping my eye out, but it's not much of a buyer's market.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Nitrox posted:

I would actually avoid buying a car because of something like that. Sorry to hear that you're stuck with it

Good luck avoiding that if you're buying a new car with a turbo in 2020.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Does anyone have opinions/experiences on the Versys 300X? It seems to check a lot of boxes for a new rider down here in southern arizona where it can be fun to explore gravel roads.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Are there any catches with 0 APR offers from manufacturers? Assuming you get a out the door price you like.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

BIG DRYWALL MAN posted:

You could also pull a yammynoob and decide to ride in the opposite lane and run headfirst into a Porsche.

Holy wow, I watched some videos on his channel but didn't know about this.

Edit: assuming that's the person you're talking about

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I'm going to look at this CBR250R this weekend:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1574972882686549/

Is it just the angle of the photo or does the clutch lever look to be bent/in a weird position? Anyways, I think 2k is fair price here so we'll see if he goes for it assuming there are no horrible things. What do yall think price wise?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

T Zero posted:

Speaking of Indian-made motorcycles, anyone have any insight into the BMW G310R? A more-experienced friend is considering one, but worried about reliability.

MT03 if your friend wants a nekkid bike.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Is this as good a deal as I think it is

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/841740519712167/

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Slavvy posted:

What kind of backwards-rear end timeline did we slip into where a bicycle person is entitled to comment on the coolness of literally anything. Fat tyre bicycles are what you have because your mum thinks a miserable fat tyre child's motorcycle is still too dangerous for her precious.

Also: I ride bikes for fun and square tyres are the opposite of that. Idk where fat bicycles land on this because I've never been laid so low as to swing a leg over one, I'm open to the idea they aren't terrible in as much as any bicycle can be not terrible.

Bicycles are cool too. You should keep your sick takes to motorcycles though since it looks like your bicycle knowledge is limited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Toe Rag posted:

If you have a motorcycle, why would you want an e-bicycle? I can understand the appeal of an electric-assisted full suspension mountain bike, but not road bikes, unless you have mobility issues and can’t ride a normal bicycle easily or something.

You should try en e-assist bicycle, they're a blast, even if you're an able bodied, experienced cyclist. If you're near a bike shop that sells specialized, pop in and see if they have a Como for you to try out. I could ramble on about this and that, but i promise you'll get it after a 5 minute test ride. I'm not specifically shilling for specialized try any bicycle brand that you have close by, but of the ones I tried, they are the smoothest in the transition between assist and your own pedal power (partially because they don't use an off the shelf bosch motor). Smoothness contributes to a great experience imo.

Slavvy is right that there are a lot of junky ones out there. Really good ones will come from a bicycle manufacturer (so you have support and warranty for the electronics through whatever shop you bought it from) and will cost 3-6k USD.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 3, 2021