Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Does anyone have an opinion on the new Yamaha Bolt?
http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/products/modelgallerylib/682/1/0/gallery.aspx

It's a brand new bike, so there isn't much info out there. But on paper it sounds fantastic, a smoother and more powerful 883. A local dealership is wiling to give one up for 7500, which is 500 below msrp. But I'm leaning towards late December, when the prices are the lowest and there is more user feedback.

Current bike is GZ250, think Honda Rebel. I don't need to tell you it's shortcomings :) Anything and everything is an upgrade.

Any other upgrade recommendations are appreciated as well. I was looking at Shadow 750 and Vstar 950, but would rather have a more upright riding position

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jun 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Halo_4am posted:

Of the new bikes out there battling for best of the budget class I'd go with Honda's new CTX over the Bolt. They're about the same power wise, and the CTX has a lot more bells and whistles for the money. I'd bet you could get one faired and with ABS for the $7,500 they want for a Bolt.

That's on paper anyway. They're dramatically different styles of bike, and that means a lot too. Considering you're cross shopping with a Sporty I'm not sure you'll like the looks of the CTX.
Stats aside, Honda is very unappealing to me. I've gone over to the dealership to see the Bolt in person. Surprisingly, every fender is actual steel and those shiny plastic-looking bits are aluminum. SpecR version is due in a month or two and comes with satin metallic paint and external reservoir shocks. They'l be calling me for a test ride as soon as it arrives. Looking forward to taking it on a highway

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

captainOrbital posted:

Well, I know what I want for my second bike.

Demo days near Chicago on the 22nd and 29th.
Please post a trip report, especially if you get to go over 80mph.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Gweenz posted:

I test rode one at the local dealership though only to about 55mph, a non-Rspec.

What I liked:

1. Aesthetics. Yeah it's a sporty clone, but ends up looking more modern and less like something your grandpa might ride.
2. Ergos. Pegs are not too far forward and handlebars are right where you want them.
3. Ride. Very smooth, suspension soaks the bumps much better than the 750 spirit I rode after.
4. Engine. For me a 950 hits the sweet spot of displacement.

What I didn't like:

1. Digital speedo. Sorry, it sucks. Give me a dial any day. On a sunny day I don't think it would be legible at all.
2. Seat. Not very comfortable, at least for me. The Stryker sitting next to it had a MUCH better seat.

I am seriously considering buying one, considering the interest rates available and the local used market being devoid of anything worth buying.
Thanks. That echoes other reviews I've seen posted online. Everyone hates the digital speedo, especially in direct sunlight.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Is now a good time to put my bike up for sale? It's a suzuki gz250, great beginner/learner bike and I've outgrown it in less than a year. My only fear is not finding a replacement, as Craigslist looking really dry right now.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Partial Octopus posted:

I'm in the US unfortunately. And I wanted to check out the 300 but the shop I was at didn't have any in stock. Is it a similar feel to the 250? because I didn't find the 250 very comfortable. I'm mostly just looking for a fun and safe bike to commute in the city with as well has have fun on windy backroads. I'm also trying to keep the price under 5k out the door if possible. But I would be willing to compromise if the bike is really that much better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqtvNfkS-ZI

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Here is a dealer listing a standard Bolt for $6,799.00, which is $1,200 below MSRP. Think of a fun roadtrip you can have :)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2014...20#ht_500wt_745

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Went around town, looking at some used and new motorcycles. Bolts are selling like hotcakes, apparently, because the local Yamaha dealer has sold their entire lot and has a bunch of pending preorders. Now I have to wait until the next demo event.

I am now certain that upright narrow frame cruiser is what I really want. Sportsters feels just right, while Shadows and the likes of it feel really bulbous and unwieldy with their massively wide gas tanks. I haven't been looking long, but what's out there other than above-mentioned bikes that comes close?

Here is a Suzuki Intruder that seem to have good ergonomics, the price is reasonable and with less than 1,000 miles, I'm sure it'll be a troubles free ride. Does anyone have experience with one of these? I couldn't ride it because it would have taken them over an hour to prep, but I plan on coming back next weekend. http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/mcd/3893940241.html

I'd love to know how it behaves at 70-80 mph.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

HotCanadianChick posted:

It's awful and I wish cruisers just flat out didn't exist. :smith:
"Everyone should like what I like"

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Does anyone know anything about Kawasaki Eliminator ZL900? Because according to this link, it make over 100hp. There is one on local craigslist for 3 grand. It looks like lunacy on wheels
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/mcy/3918742313.html

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 7, 2013

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

HotCanadianChick posted:

Except I never asked for advice, nor do I regret the bike I purchased? I did my own research, weighed the pros and cons, and made an adult decision that I am comfortable with. So, :confuoot: I guess?

You have contributed absolutely nothing to the thread, while simultaneously derailing it with personal drama. Please go do something else. Thanks.

Nitrox posted:

Does anyone know anything about Kawasaki Eliminator ZL900? Because according to this link, it make over 100hp. There is one on local craigslist for 3 grand. It looks like lunacy on wheels

Just an update, I went out and rode that bike... thing. I have a GZ250(think Honda Rebel) and that bike is 99.9% of my riding experience thus far. There is something maddening about a cruiser that runs 11's stock. A twist of a throttle and I'm doing 60 in 1st gear under 3 seconds. Somebody hold me, I'm scared of buying it

Bu seriously, it gets 35mpg with a >3 gal tank, so the range is under 100 miles. I'm also worrying about the replacement parts availability and wear factors. Is there anything about 30 year old bike that should be an age-related red flag?

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 8, 2013

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Halo_4am posted:

more regular tire replacement (5-10k miles or 2-4 years),
You're thinking performance tires. Road rubber is good for up to 8 years, depending on the brand. And it's likely to hit age limit before wearing out.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Z3n posted:

Generally, all tire makers regardless of type of tire recommend a 5 year lifespan.
Good to know. I've seen 12k and 14k tires pass PA inspection no problem.

To stay on topic, I found a new bike to replace the good old 150, a 2002 Suzuki Boulevard 1500. It's a little unnerving to have twice the weight and 5 times the torque, but also loads of fun. Growing a beard and shopping for chaps as we speak.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Safety Dance posted:

Yamahas have always been, and will always be, blue in my mind.
Blue is Suzuki

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Why not borrow money from parents/relatives? That's what young people with no credit often do. Or ask a relative to cosign a loan on a brand new non-Chinese bike. There are many ~250cc commuter bikes for under 4 grand with something like 4% Apr. It'll be cheaper than financing a $2,500 item at 19%.

If you have cash, troll Craigslist. I just got an 87 intruder(700cc) for $800. Inspection, brakes and tune up later, it's running like a champ. The riding season is coming to an end, there are deals everywhere

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Dude, take the MSF before going bike shopping. I did that, then bought a cheap used GZ250 because that's the bike we use for training over here. Then 6 months later bought a 700cc cruiser because i was cheap and cruisers are more appealling to me personally. The 250 helped me get some confidence on the road and taught me some valuable lessons. There is a variety of those beginner-grade bikes out there, and while you can ride one forever (and enjoy 75 mpg), most people use them like I did and pass them on. If you shop smart, you can even sell it for more than what you paid for it. If you're into cruisers, look for Rebel 250/450, Virago 250/535, Suzuki TU250, GZ250, Savage(650) and something else I'm probably forgetting. You can have a decent one for under 2 grand. Someone else can give you a cheap sport bike list, I'm sure.

Just don't go out and buy the biggest and the baddest as the first bike, because you are likely to regret it in one way or another.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

tbb9 posted:

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/3952693568.html

What's everyone think about this?

2002 sv650

Bunch of extras 3000 miles but says it currently isn't running because the carbs are clogged.

2002 and 3000 miles, could could the carbs actually be clogged from sitting for that long or is there something else going on here?

It could have been submerged during a hurricane. But you should be able to find evidence of that in places other than carbs. Either way, a non-running bike should be considered as a sum of parts until proven otherwise. And it was likely in at least 1 accident/drop

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Sep 17, 2013

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
CCW bikes did not get any positive reviews from what I've read and seen online. Guys from Motorcycle.com had lost front brake caliper bolt during the test drive, apparently it never even had loctite (or equivalent compound) applied to the threads. It's on YouTube, but I can't link it from phone. They sure do look good, but methinks you get what you pay for.

Honda Rebel is a superior bike that could be bought for $1,000, so why not?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Is it in some high tariff area or something?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Snowdens Secret posted:

Cruisers tend to suck at >80 for any extended period of time, at least unless you have the right bars / windscreen combo. A lot of the 750ish ones will be struggling at those speeds, especially with a big windscreen.
The issue is with gearing, not displacement. It's just that cruisers with larger engines have taller gears.

I have a Suzuki VS700 and can attest to that. Ideal cruising speed is around 65, 70-75 is ok but mildly annoying and 80 is just uncomfortable. By stretching out final drive ratio, the speeds shift up accordingly. It's as simple as getting a larger rear tire.

But you can just get an 1100 Shadow or Vstar and drone yourself to sleep at 80mph.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Apple2o posted:

I know everyone says to start on a 250, but assume I will probably need to be riding at highway speeds (80-85) for 40ishm on a fairly regular basis. Is a 250 still good for that kind of stuff?
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/mcy/4172621114.html

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I was just kidding, guys.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

chia posted:

It's a 125cc, you're going to have trouble keeping up with the traffic on highways. Plus when something unexpected happens it's going to be difficult to find an escape route with ~10hp.

I have a 250cc version of that bike and even that tops out at 72mph, kicking and screaming. That bike is a great scooter alternative, but there are way better highway commuters out there. It does however gets 70+ MPG no matter what. If you don't need to cruise above 65, consider a 250cc.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
What sort of bike are you looking for? Here is a handy chart

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Spiffness posted:

I'm a big fan of sophisticated electronics, but a firm believer the operator should be able to turn them full off and wrestle the beast nude if that's what they want to do, so to speak.
Are you ok with break lights coming on every single time you're braking?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Does anyone knows much about new Honda CB1100? http://powersports.honda.com/2014/cb1100.aspx

My local dealers still have 2013s sitting around and I can get a pretty good deal on one brand new.

All I've ridden so far are cruisers, and not very good ones. Will be looking to take long interstate trips this summer, and having a brand new bike to eat up miles is a very tempting proposition.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Linedance posted:

I know they are beautiful, very high build quality, and expensive. They'd be on my short list if the price was right though.
I can grab a 2013 model for $8500 plus tax and whatnot. There aren't many used ones out there to compare, but I can't think of a better bike in that price range. Every review has been positive so far.

What does it compare to? I'm thinking Triumph Bonneville and that's about it?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

HotCanadianChick posted:

Being British hurts the reliability of the bike. :v:

Also if you want to ride dirt trails, a sumo or dual sport would be better. The scrambler isn't in any way better off road than the Bonneville it's based on, it's purely a looks package.
It comes with taller shocks and knobby narrow tires. Not sure how it actually works on dirt, but it looks like it would fare better than the rest of Triumph lineup.

That 2010 model is not a bad deal, if you can haggle him down to 6, grab it and run. To your local Triumph dealer so they could update the ECU maps :) Just noticed 14k miles. Make sure valve service was done around 12k, if not, it's on you.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 29, 2014

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

HotCanadianChick posted:

Better than the Tiger 800xc?

No. It's a terrible gimmick bike aimed at hipsters who are too cool for a proper DS or ADV.
Likely not. I just didn't know that bike existed.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
The bike may be old, but it could be well sorted and cared for, saving you hundreds in maintenance.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Suzuki "Savage" S40 is a light, single cylinder cruiser bike that will manage highway, and be an excellent city bike. Theya re right in your price range too.

http://www.brennys.com/files/large/6c397534c97057d5adfe17a696ca5b38.jpg

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 20, 2014

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

AquaticIguana posted:

So I've been riding a Honda Elite 150 for the last year and a half and now I'm looking to upgrade to my first motorcycle. Max pricerange is around 2 grand. Is this thing a decent buy? Is there anything better in the area?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/mcy/4432026193.html
You're on the right track but stay away from modified bikes, because chances are, someone done hosed up. He changed the jets and air box and suddenly it's for sale. Probably because it's running like poo poo at part throttle or high rpms or something not immediately apparent. Don't inherit other people's problems if you can avoid it.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

In Oregon, which has a similar law, the guy walked out and turned the pump on but just handed me the handle. I don't know if NJ is more strict though.

Either way, I wasn't going to get off the bike because I'm one of those superior long-armed ubermenschen who does it all without leaving the seat (except every third fill when I check the oil too, requiring that I put it on the center stand). If the guy in NJ or OR wants to fill it up himself he can do it but he's gonna have his hand three inches from my junk while I stare at him with crossed arms.
That is exactly what they do in NJ

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I have an opportunity to get a 70-something CB450K5 in decent shape for no more than a case of beer. The kicker is that it was repossessed along with many other vehicles from a deadbeat tenant, and now sitting in a storage with no paperwork whatsoever. Other items from that storage were sold at the sheriff's auction, so I'm assuming that there is a way to actually have this bike all legally proper in my name without contacting the previous owner? The property owner and me are both in PA.

Edit: I can't even run a VIN check because it's pre-1981.

And here be pictures http://imgur.com/a/zTN0X

I promise not to do anything even remotely cafe-related to it.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Aug 14, 2014

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Honda Shadow 750 is a cruiser easy mode. All the weight down below, good initial torque and you won't get in trouble with the throttle. RS/Spirit model is a standard configuration, while Aero/Phantom is lowered with feet-forward position. I'd recommend the former for better control or later for comfort. The maintenance intervals are cheap and rare, and there is plenty of aftermarket for anything you may want to add to it. I just took a 300 mile trip on my 2012 Phantom, it was doing just fine at 80, sometimes climbing to 100 on long stretches. No complaints other than that oem seat gets uncomfortable after a couple of hours. Luckily there are loads of aftermarket options. You can find a carburated early 2000's bike for around 2 grand, in my area at least. That VTX1300 posted above is bigger/heavier/more powerful version of the Shadow.

Slip picking in your area, wow. I'd pay about $2750 for this one, less if it needs tires or other maintenance items
http://palmsprings.craigslist.org/mcy/4617316388.html

How far is Tijuana?
http://tijuana.craigslist.com.mx/mcy/4669779722.html

Edit: I missed the Spirit you posted earlier. Definitely go sit on it. Then make some comments about the price may be a bit steep. Give them your info and leave. Call back next day and offer 3300. I bet you can get it for that price.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Sep 16, 2014

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Tanbo posted:

I never thought of myself as a cruiser guy either, but looking honestly at the kind of riding I do, I don't do any touring, longest ride to date has been 3-4 hours. Don't push hard on the street because I'm 34, I've seen people do too much dumb stuff for that. Might as well get a cruiser, though I don't like the chrome/blinged out look. Only thing is the forward controls and comfort don't really go well together, though the controls on the Hammer are supposed to be pretty configurable.
Victory Hammer/Gunner are gorgeous bikes and they seem to try really hard to do everything better than a Harley. Did you test ride it yet?

As for forward controls, they pay off on the highway, where turns are long and sweeping. On tight city streets, you'll be forced to slow down more than other bikes and generally use more effort to turn.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Sep 16, 2014

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
That is a smoking deal on EFI 1200R, that bike is worth at least 6 grand in my area. If you're not interested for some reason, I might ride it back to Philly.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

AuxiliaryPatroller posted:

http://lafayette.craigslist.org/mcy/4680013721.html

I sat on a cb500f and cb500x and really liked them both- good reviews too mostly, but don't see many used ones. I'll see if that one is available, but at 20 days old I am skeptical. Thanks cycle goons!
It's not sold because you can get a brand new one for nearly 5 grand once the weather gets cold. I wouldn't pay more than 4 grand for it.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
SR400 is already selling below invoice, it's a colossal flop. Expect next year to be the last year it's sold in the US unless something unexpected happens. For a 1500 more you can get a base Boneville, and it's twice as good. SR400 should have been competing with TU250 and if sold for under 4 grand, would have been a contender. But it's just a comedy show at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Ya'll know that boredom as a concept is purely subjective, right?