Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Lane centring is an option, I believe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

To wit: if you can see the side of your own car looking in your side mirrors: Why?

Some people with bad spatial reasoning need a known reference point to make sense of what they're seeing.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

If the car is an automatic, I would imagine the FWD fuse makes the car FWD.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Can someone tell me about TPMS on a 2020 WRX? It's looking like I need a trigger tool AND a quickset? Is that right? I just swapped wheels, but I should have the IDs for the winters from Tire Rack. Just trying to figure out what I need to buy to not go beg someone to do it for me without waiting hours.

E: also looking at the OP for TPMS info, I totally forgot I was active way back then.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

um excuse me posted:

ATEQ Quickset. That's what I have. Save the IDs for the summers, save them for the winters, then you can just swap back and forth. The Quickset can pull IDs from the ECU if you don't know them. I just paid Subaru to set them once when I got the winters AFTER I pulled the IDs for the summers onto the Quickset software so I had both IDs.

According to some table about the Quickset, there is an activator thing I also need, which seems wrong.

E: It looks like it's a bit misleading. If you get new sensors, you can't just punch them in apparently, you have to activate them. That happens really rarely, though. Tool arrives Tuesday, so I'll read out the snows before I get them reset to the summers.

carticket fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 16, 2020

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

My run of 5 or so weeks without Subaru's infamous paint showing its face has come to an end. Someone at work doored the car and there's a .75" x .25" area mostly missing paint and a vertical line through it.

No note, of course.

No one will have any touch-up paint for this in stock around here, so I'll have to go online. Any suggestions for reputable touch-up paint manufacturers?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Was that a student driver in one of the shots?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

So, my new WRX feels like it drifts a lot over 70. When there's bad crosswinds it gets knocked around which isn't unexpected, but even when there aren't bad crosswinds I feel like it really gets knocked around. Is it possible the factory alignment is hosed up? It feels fine in turns, it just meanders back and forth when trying to go straight in a lane. I don't know if they did something to the alignment or maybe it's just because it's a stiffer suspension than I'm used to (it has the factory Bilstein dampers). It looks like toe out can cause the wandering on the highway. Is there any way to check the factory alignment specs? I will probably call the dealer about it, since Subaru may have tuned the alignment more aggressively on the series white models.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Should I even bother with a dealership alignment or find a better shop? I need to look at my paperwork. They may have given me a PDI alignment report, but I can't remember.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

No.

E: Dealership is doing the alignment under warranty. Apparently you get one in the 36k. I don't think this should really count, but whatever.

carticket fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 23, 2020

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

So, I got the dealer alignment under warranty. You only get one according to them. They said "it was out" but did not described how or give me the results sheet. It felt a little bit less farty, but now the wheel is 1-2 degrees off center. Am I just being picky / expecting too much from dealership alignments? Should I just pay a good shop to do it?

Apologies for the blurry image.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

bull3964 posted:

So....you took your car to a dealership and let strangers crawl all over it?

I'm just trying to wrap my brain around that having been on a lockdown order for two weeks.

I am essential, so I interact with way more people than touched the car on a daily basis.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

So, I've got 2600 miles on my 2020 WRX. Something I've noticed is that sometimes the car stumbles a bit at idle, and it sometimes feels like it is slightly down on power when pulling away in first (not aggressively). For the second part, it could be that I'm bad at shifting. Getting used to a manual again and my left foot currently has an injury. The idle thing, though, has me somewhat concerned. Is it something worth bringing up to the dealership? I got burned by not bothering to bring my 09 in for a slightly squeaky clutch pedal outside of warranty and that turned out to be popped spot welds on the pedal box that ended up with an extended warranty (but only if you had previously had it repaired or reported the issue).

Also, the dealership has put about 100 miles on the car (pickup and drop off at my work, plus miles they've put on it during the visits). After the second visit, I reset the max boost on the center console to see if it got flogged, and got it back and they had hit about 18 psi (which is around the maxI hit when mashing the pedal). When it was dropped off at work, the courier left the center console flipped to the boost gauge (rather than the triple gauge). I have to assume the people they have driving the cars just don't respect customer cars. Anyway, this has me concerned about the car getting damaged at their hands in subtle ways that wouldn't really cause problems until much later. I will probably switch dealerships anyway, as there is one much closer.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Midjack posted:

Get it on record as an issue while it’s still under warranty, even if they can’t track it down before you drive out from under coverage it’s much easier to get it warranty repaired if there’s documentation in it earlier.

This was my thinking. With the popped spot weld issue on my '09, the warranty extension for it was a joke. By the time they extended the warranty for that specific issue, the '09s were already out of the extension. It was a game to reimburse people who had brought their car in and either had it repaired or documented. If you said "eh, the clutch pedal is squeaking a little, that doesn't bother me" only to find out later that the cause is your firewall flexing, you'll eventually have your pedals completely separate from it, and you have to disassemble the entire dash to fix properly, then the warranty extension didn't help.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

What are considered safe oil temps? It's getting warm here and I'm seeing the oil go above 212F now, whereas before when it was cold it, it usually wouldn't break 200F.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Minto Took posted:

86 Brakes:

I’m going to need at least 18” wheels if I ever want a big brake kit or am able to finagle a dealer to get me the Brembos that come with the TRD Performance Package, aren’t I?

The Brembos that are in the 2020 WRX performance package can fit under 17" wheels. I have 17" steel wheels that I bought from TireRack with the car. They didn't have any fitment data because the brake package is a new option, but they said to get the 17" set and they have a fitment guarantee. The dealership put them on for me before I picked up the car, so I didn't get a good sense for how tight it was. Didn't really see when I took them off.

E: From some other comments that I had seen online, along with people saying that they won't fit under 17" wheels, is that if they were balanced with the flat weights that go onto the inside of the wheel that you will have interference issues. If that's true, it must be very tight.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

um excuse me posted:

For autocross you're going to be disappointed with the factory tune and suspension of the WRX. It desperately needs more rear spring rate and front camber. The factory tune rev hangs like crazy and torque peaks too early, leaving half the rev range feeling pretty flat. I lasted all of half a season before I ditched the factory class.

I agree with the tune completely and I need to get an accessport for mine. The suspension problem is solved by getting a series.white. I have been very happy with it, and the last time I was happy with a Subaru's suspension was my old 2.5RS that was upgraded from stock. E: coincidentally, also my last white Subaru.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Subaru used to consider up to 1qt/1000 mi to be okay. Not sure if they've changed that with the FA/FB engines, though.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

My Subarus like to burn things. My '09 WRX was at about 1 qt/1000 mi when I got rid of it, though I never saw smoke indicative of such. My '01 RS was about 1 gal/cold start of coolant until I got the head replaced, and boy did that make a lot of fog. My '20 WRX thankfully hasn't yet started burning anything, but it is still young. The '06 WRX donor doesn't need to burn oil because I'm pretty sure it's bone dry after sitting for > 3 years without having run.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

JawKnee posted:

Well the noise disappeared yesterday and has not resurfaced today. No idea why. :iiam:

Rock stuck the in the treads?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I use a Harbor Freight "racing" jack for my '20 WRX and there's height to get a hockey puck/punch weld saver on top of it. It's HF, so obviously you don't want to rely on it for safety, but combined with good jackstands it works well.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Got new summer tires put on at the dealership last week, put snows on last night... and the dealership cross-threaded a nut. They let me cut about a dozen people to rectify the gently caress up, so I'm satisfied with the resolution but still annoyed it happened.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I would accept something like a DCT. I have a bit of hope for a hatch WRX since the Impreza is going full hatch, but I doubt I would buy a new Subaru again.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Could you discuss a bit more why the dual-clutch transmission would be such a significant selling point to you?

I'm new to cars and researching potential purchases and Subies have such a solid general reputation. But you and that other poster seem quite putoff by the newest stuff.

It wouldn't so much be a selling point, but it's a way for them to have computer control of the shifting while not putting a torque converter between the engine and wheels. Plus what others have said. They're usually very quick shifters, so if you're in manual mode it can be quite good. If my options were manual or DCT on a car that I wanted, I'd have to have a good think before coming to a decision.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

The one that gets sold for 818 builds is typically the Killer B pan/pickup/baffle. That's what I plan to put on my build (if it ever happens).

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

So, I kind of bought a Subaru. It's ultimately zero sum, since by the time this pile of parts could be vaguely considered a Subaru, the actual Subaru in the driveway will have been converted into scrap.

Future "Subaru"

Future scrap

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

bull3964 posted:

It really hurts to think about how awesome the Crosstrek Wilderness would be with a WRX engine and a manual.

I too was thinking about this the other day.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Motronic posted:

I've got it and it's not actively harmful but it a little weird to get used to. I like it now. It's not one of the things I can't live without like the bumping your turn signal to get 3 flashes thing vag does. Not sure that made it to suby because the newest one I regularly deal with is an 08.

That did. My '20 WRX definitely has it and I'm pretty sure my '15 Impreza had it.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

There's another Subaru thread?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Also interested for the same year, but the answer is probably get a tune. Annoying, I have an Access Port that would work with the car, but it is married to the donor ECU for my 818, and I can't unmarry it until I can power it up. I'll be moving to an open source tune for that since I'll need to disable codes for systems that no longer exist.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I bought my kit via two cashier's checks, but the guy selling it wasn't exactly in need of the money.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Oh, yeah, so quick summary for the VA WRX: Get an AP and OTS stage 0 tune (or whatever they call it)? If that's going to make my life better. I will do it tonight. I just wanted to confirm.

E: done, thanks!

I will need to figure out non-AP stuff for the 818 once it's built enough to fire up.

carticket fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Sep 16, 2023

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Internet Explorer posted:

2014 and I did a Cobb OTS about a year ago. It's so much better. The difference in first gear is night and day.

I shoulda done this way sooner. Also learned that the free ground shipping from SubiMods is basically next day for me since it's only CT->NH. I figured they were just drop shippers.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Any suggestions for removing the lateral link bolt on a GD WRX? I'm slowly working my way around it, removing the lateral links from the subframe, but that's not particularly easy either.

I'm getting closer and closer to just buying all new parts rather than trying to use these. I already need a bunch of parts that have rusted out. I still need to strip them off the donor, though.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

daslog posted:

Do you mean the long Jesus bolt? Just cut it off.

I was really hoping there was going to be an easier annoying method.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I just bought both LH and RH rear spindle assemblies used off eBay (in okay condition). If I can get this all apart, then I have spare parts. I'll probably just buy new lateral links and trailing arms. Might as well have new stuff on a new(ish) car build.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Ok, so cutting the jesus bolt. I invested in a carbide tipped 8tpi blade for my reciprocating saw and that blade was worth every penny.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

The donor engine for my build has a drain plug that is 100% seized into the pan. I'm going to have to drill it out, but need to try to get oil out first (or tip the engine so that it isn't sitting on the plug while I drill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Darchangel posted:

Just yank and replace the pan instead?

Not sure how to do that without making a huge mess without draining it first. I was going to replace the pan because it has some rust on it.

I have a little hand transfer pump. I could probably get most of the oil out the top using that?