Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Mine is On, Off, and Res. So if I put it to On or Res and disconnect the tank, there won't be some tube pouring gas everywhere?

No. If it's got an OFF, it's most likely not a vacuum operated petcock and you should have it at OFF when you disconnect it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Test drove a Honda VF750S today, I believe it was called V45 Sabre in the States. 1983 year, it looked good, started fine and idled great.

When I took off though, it felt weird right from the start. The bike felt like it wanted to fall into the corners at low speed left-handers, and when I went through a very mild, downward right hand turn with some uneven asphalt at maybe 35 mph, I got crazy headshake out of nowhere. Never having experienced headshake before, I pulled in the clutch and coasted to a stop before I decided to turn around and go back to the waiting seller.

He lives just a hundred meters from me, and I've seen him use the bike to go to work once a week or so, making me believe him when he says he has never had any problems with shaking, since if my bike shook like that I wouldn't want ride it anywhere. Can the fact that I'm maybe 60 lb lighter than him do something to make the bike more prone to headshake? Any chance of a connection between the headshake and that feeling that the bike wanted to fall to the left?

He renovated the front calipers some time ago, if he removed the front wheel while doing that, could he have put it back wrong somehow?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Just to be sure, the big black nob on the left side of the bike beneath the float bowl of the outmost carb, is my idle adjuster. Right? Both Clymer and Haynes thinks my bike will explode if I don't leave the adjusting to someone with an exhaust gas analyzer, and accordingly they won't say a word about how you do it, which way to turn it or what the correct rpm is. Dicks.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Yes it is. Get the engine warmed up and set it to ~1250rpm.

Thanks! :)

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Phat_Albert posted:

Is there a reason I shouldnt do the CL's?

Swedish Motorrad tested pads in 2008, and the only exceptional thing about CL was that they gave much higher wear on the disc than the other brands in the test. Otherwise they where average in every aspect.

Brembo and Lucas where the test winners, which really wasn't a surprise, but the surprise was that they weren't any more expensive than the rest.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
obso, that sounds somewhat like a bike a friend of mine inherited, especially with the backfiring at high RPM, which was later diagnosed as a failing CDI box.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Right, so I was having some strange behaviour from the Zuk last year. Time for some nice old carburettor cleaning, I thought.

First problem (only as of now, but I'm sure there will be more): the pilot screws on the two inner carb are stuck. Seized like someone dipped them good in super glue before putting them in. The outer two where just like they should be, and did not give me any trouble whatsoever, but these two... The heads are starting to strip and they just will not budge. Suggestions?

The two that didn't give me any trouble where 1,25 turns out. According to the manual, they're supposed to be 1,8 to 1,9 turns out.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Backov posted:

Ok, so I've had my Dnepr out a few times now, and of course it still has issues.

Difficulty finding neutral, try tightening the clutch adjustment just a little bit.

And as for the "rev limit", you say that

Backov posted:

It's almost like after it hits that RPM it shifts into neutral.

Do you mean that it starts revving to the moon, because if so that sounds like its jumping out of gear, could be worn or bent shifter forks, or worn dogs or dog holes.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm thinking about doing a small fly & buy (about 420 miles from home). How do people bring the gear? ATGATT on the plane, tell everyone you are serious about safety? A bag large enough for all the gear seems like it would be uncomfortable to ride with.

The bike in question is a 2003 SV1000S. Anyone have anything specific to say about those, good or bad?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Z3n posted:

I wouldn't buy an SV1000S without having the chance to ride one first, if you know what you're getting, great. All of the issues with that bike are problems of personal taste, they're pretty solid mechanically.

Not quite sure I understand you correctly. You mean that the bike is solid mechanically, but that the SV1000 is a bike that has odd ergonomics or something?

Thanks for the replies.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Alright, thanks. I must admit I thought the 1000 and the 650 (which I have ridden a few times) where similar in that respect. I guess I'll just have to find one close by and try.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Frankston posted:

There's a loud clicking noise when I press the starter button coming from somewhere around the seat.

As in a single *click*, or a rapid *clickclickclickclick*?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Rearsets made out of glass fiber seems like a good idea! :v:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
How critical is switching to a manual CCT and doing the countershaft loctite fix on a DRZ? Will my bike explode next week if I don't do them, or is it just "some bikes" that have problem with these?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Z3n, it seems your PM inbox is full.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Soooo. Thumpertalks "What every DRZ Needs; Protection, Maintenance, and Preventive fixes." contains, among other things, this list:

quote:

Preventative maintenance fixes:
Countershaft sprocket
Stator fasteners
Flywheel / starter gear fasteners
Primary gear nut
Counter balancer nut

Can I do all these in one sitting? Which order should I do them in? Don't want to do one and put high strength threadlocker on stuff only to discover I have to take it apart again...

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Marv Hushman posted:

Alright. So I'm not the only who uses this winterization process. To wit: hey, looks like winter's here. Bye!

Works for me. I'm sure it's gonna come bite me in the rear end because I type this, but my winter prep consists of;

1. Fill tank full (with petrol).
2. Put bike in the back of the garage.

Done!

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

I want to ape hanger out a Moped!

Bonus; apes on a Bandit!

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

internet inc posted:

EDIT: How hot to pipes get? Say, close to the engine?

Gonna depend on a lot of things really, but for example I know I've seen EGT values for an Yamaha R6 being about 850 degrees Celsius at WOT, about 350-450C at idle, measured about 50mm from the head/exhaust mating surface.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The only explanation for the word "squid" I've heard is that it's an acronym for "Stupid Quick Underdressed Imminently Dead".

Usually young males with next to no protective gear, almost always going recklessly fast and doing stupid poo poo. Basically racers without racing skills. And on public roads.

efb

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
2003 SV650. My shifter has gotten into the annoying habit of sticking on upshifts sometimes. I never notice this until Im trying to shift up the next time, at which point I can't, and have to let out the clutch to try again. Remove shifter and lube axle with grease, I guess?

At least I *hope* it's the shifter sticking, or else something inside the gearbox is giving me trouble and I wouldn't like that.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I *think* its sticking in the upshift position, and therefor nothing happens when I try to shift. But since I'd rather not look down at my shifter while riding, Im not sure. It feels like as if I have sixth gear engaged already (I am unable to move the shifter upwards with my foot, it feels solid). And then if I release the clutch and try again, it works. I havent tried upshifting several times when it happens to get it to spring down or something, thats why Im not 100% sure its actually sticking and not the gearbox or shifter linkage thats borked.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

I agree -- those things are satan's work. Even the 12-point box-end wrenches kind of suck for anything where more than a little torque is involved. I think I've removed more skin from my knuckles than I have nuts from studs using 12-points.

6 point sockets and standard open-end wrenches for me, thanks.

I got told plenty of times back in school that since all the torque is at the corners, it doesn't actually make a difference if you use a 6 or 12 point socket, they're both as likely to round a bolt head.

Fake edit: Wikipedia seems to back me up, fwiw.

"A common misconception is that a 12-point socket is more likely to round off the corners of a nut or bolt than a 6-point socket. In fact, since the torque is applied at the corners of the fastener, the two sockets have the same number of contact points, apply the same amount of torque, and one is no more likely to round off the corners than another."

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
But if the friend actually *lives* in Japan, I'd hope he's already got JIS bits and stuff? Japanese Industrial Standards and all that.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Brake dust is really bad for your respiratory system even if there's no asbetos in it. Wear a protective mask. And no, asbestos is not absorbed through the skin, so merely touching isn't dangerous to your health. However, if you get it on your skin or clothing, the fibers may become airborne later and get in your lungs.

There's a very good reason that poo poo is banned in civilized countries.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Best option for glasses: Laser surgery

Seconded. LASIK is where it's at. I've never regretted it for a second. Sure, Sally can wait (she knows its too late), but I say just do it. My eyes have no problem with fogging.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Lithium-ion supremacy. :smug:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I changed from alu rockers to steel ones on my Chrysler small block because the alu rockers were bottoming out against the retainers. The steel rockers are much slimmer than the alu ones, so I thought I'd weigh them just for fun. 8 grams. That's how much lighter an alu rocker was on account of it having to be much beefier.

I wonder if anyone has ever bothered to check if the alu sprockets actually weigh less.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Nah.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I don't even know what the hell this is supposed to be good for.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Single front disc, 2-cyl inline engine. Seems like a 2008-up F650GS with loads and loads of extra poo poo to me.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Sooo...

I turn 30 this year, and I'm thinking about giving myself a present. A couple of presents. I've already bought myself a Nikon D7000 by accident. Whatever. I'm thinking
:bubblewoop::bubblewoop::siren: BRAND NEW BIKE :siren::bubblewoop::bubblewoop:.
Yes, I know more about depreciation than I would like.

My two main contenders are:

The new Triumph Street Triple R.

Or MV Agusta Brutale 675.

I haven't had any chance of riding either yet, since this is what it looks like here right now, but in true armchair general fashion I've started jerking off to specs and different colours.

Standard on the Brutale are four different maps for the injection and a traction control with eight different settings. All swedish imports seem to come with EAS (quickshift) as well. Brakes are Brembos front and back, Marzocchi 43mm front and Sachs rear suspension. Swedish price is 103900 SEK(≈15000 USD).

Street Triple R comes with... uh. Wheels? Well, less bling than the Brutale anyway, although if I buy I'm gonna get it with ABS and a plug-n-play quickshift available from Triumph right from the get-go. Nissin front, Brembo rear brakes. Kayaba 41mm forks and Kayaba rear shock. Price 99990 SEK (≈14500 USD).

Wet weight is 182kg (400lbs) for the Triumph and 179kg (395lbs) for the MV.
Power/torque is 106hp@11850/68Nm(50ftlbs)@9750 for the Triumph and 108@12500/65(48)@12000 for the MV.
Rake/trail is 23.4deg/95mm on the Triumph and 24/95 for the MV.

Numbers-wise it's pretty much same same, and I could poo poo out these numbers all day long since I almost know them all by heart now. I really want the Brutale.

WANTWANTWANTNEEDNEED.

But. The MV is not available with ABS, something I really feel can save my bacon some day. And I have no idea at all what to expect, quality-wise, from MV. They are really rare here in Sweden (or anywhere, I imagine) and consequently, there are four dealers total in Sweden for them, the closest being 150km from where I live. I have two Triumph dealerships closer than 100kms. The aftermarket for the Triumph is huge (at least for the old model), for the MV it's less than impressive. Am I supposed to make the sensible choice here? What is the sensible choice?

Help me CA, you're my only hope. :ohdear:

Nidhg00670000 fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 11, 2013

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Snowdens Secret posted:

The ST3R is kind of surprising in how down-spec it is for an R, but in the States it's cheap - $1600 less than the base Daytona with essentially the same kit and thousands less than the Daytona R with Ohlins. It's a first year bike so demand will be higher but you're more likely to be able to play the dealers and get a better real world deal than I think you would with MV. I do think it's got a touch too much plastic, though. The outgoing ST3/ST3R are cruder bikes but cleaner looking and supposedly wilder, and if you find a last year's model (still new) the money you save might just pay for tasty Ohlins/Brembo. I'd think about that option.

I don't know how these are for Swedeprice but if I was an EU I'd be considering the Ducati Streetfighter 848 and maybe a flavor of Aprilia. Especially if I'd already resigned myself to dealing with Italian quality and reliability. Personally I think the Duc blows the MV and the Triumph out of the water on style.

Yeah, the old ST3R can be had for 84900 SEK (≈12000 USD) from the few dealers that still have one. If anyone still has one when it's time, I'll at the very least go look at one. No ABS on the old model though. :( The Duc SF 848 is at least 15kg (30lbs) heavier than the ST3, and it starts around 133000 SEK (19000 USD). Another bike that also can't be had with that ABS-thingy. What Aprilias do you have in mind? The price on the Touno (156000 SEK, 22000 USD) puts it way above the others. The reason all the prices in USD are so high (besides the fact that bikes are more expensive here) is that the USD is at it's lowest for 18 months against the SEK right now, and it isn't far off from lowest ever. So I'm just putting it in there as a way for others to compare them.

Ola posted:

ABS would be a tipping point for me, very strange that MV Agusta haven't included it. But it outsexes the Street Triple by a very wide margin.

Yeah, I'd really like my new bike to have ABS. I mean, it still is essential to know proper braking, but knowing that you can just squeeze that handle as hard and fast as you want if need be when it's wet outside...

People posted:

At a $500 US difference, buy the drat MV.

The MV is way more awesome and so much better looking. Don't buy the Triumph.

A million times the MV. Do you really need to ask? Look at this bike.

The MV is the bike your heart wants.

Buy the MV. This is coming from someone who never recommends Italian bikes.

Well, most people here seem to know what I should get. Thanks for the input so far, everyone.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

epalm posted:

Why not have one brake lever than distributes braking power to the wheels in that ratio?

It's not unheard of.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It's me. I'm the goon in the well. Earlier in the thread I was talking about getting a brand new bike, and my two main contenders were the new Triumph Street Triple R or the MV Agusta Brutale 675. After using my best puppy-eyed expression, I got to sit on the Brutale at the Stockholm Bike Show (they had "DONT SIT ON THE BIKE" signs on the MVs), and jesus christ on a crutch that bike is not made for my goony body. I could feel right away that it wasn't to be. :(

So what did I do? I sulked and moped for a while. And on friday I'm probably gonna make a down payment on this. :downs:

Brand new 690 SMC R. The well, it's calling me...

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

So there, down payment made. Now I just have to wait for the snow to go away so I can sell off my other three bikes. :(

Z3n posted:

Oh poo poo is that the model with the true 690cc engine? :neckbeard:
Another one of my friends just bought a 690 out here and he's going to bring it by this weekend. I've missed KTMs.

Oh yeah. Probably wont feel too much difference from the DRZ though, right? :v:

Spiffness posted:

Wonderful. I can't wait till it comes state side so I can do the same. Post everything.

Edit: Ex-owner protips
Really securely fashion your license plate
Those rear turn signals will break soon, and the exhaust side one will melt. Get some short LED ones and they'll last
Watch for the header on your riding pants, it'll melt everything you wear
Might be different for the new ones but there is a 2nd gear mod you can do, really simple, just pulling a wire, that livens it up a lot
Have a play with the engine map settings switch under the seat (Refer to manual). Makes a big difference.

Valve checks are easy, they use expensive oil but its worth it. The engines are lovely and bulletproof and stand up to endless abuse. Enjoy it.

Thanks, I'll make sure to fashion my license plate really securely.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Or the scales beneath the jaws are in correct, logical and easy to use millimetres on one instead of some science hating ongo-bongo fractions. Like so.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
KTM's own badly translated despcription of the APTC slipper clutch.

quote:

This anti-hopping clutch is a must for any ambitious rider.
Everyone knows about rear wheel hopping: heavy braking in a curve can lead to unnerving shuddering at the rear wheel.
Experienced riders overcome this problem on hard terrain with a gentle pull on the clutch lever, thereby reducing the transmission of this force to the rear wheel.
Resourceful engineers have now come up with the solution: the anti-hopping clutch.
The APTC is a worldwide patented slipper clutch that features a unique hub consisting in two parts connected by an helix profile.
This complex mechanism using angled layers for additional friction was developed to prevent clutch-slippage: under engine-load this system generates additional pressure on the clutch plates, but when over-running the clutch is able to slip.
The power torque feature of the APTC guarantees riders maximum rear-wheel grip during acceleration and anti-hopping during downshifting. By maximizing rider control, the APTC allows for greater speeds going into and coming out of turns.
This design, unlike all other slipper clutches on the market, makes it also much easier to pull the clutch lever (~50% less pressure is required) and eliminates clutch lever vibration, helping the rider saving a lot of energy and sparing himself the discomfort of a cramped forearm.

A Supermoto rider could appreciate a better control while braking, without any rear wheel hop even during heavy braking and hard downshifting.
The smoother engine output on the ground brought by the power torque characteristic of the APTC allows the rider to open the throttle earlier, for a far more rapid ascent to top speed.
The absence of any clutch lever vibration allows the rider, unlike all other slipper clutches on the market, to pull the clutch in the off-road section of the track, for a better control of the bike.

An Enduro rider can in addition appreciate a better control while braking, less vibration and sticking in the clutch lever, which translates to better clutch control, and a lighter perception of the impacts on the rear wheel when hitting rugged terrain before a curve.
The light clutch lever load is also a vital anti-fatigue factor in extra long races.
He will also note the difference coming from a more constant and stable performance of the clutch under extreme use.

A Motocross rider on the other side will discover a better control while braking, and, especially, a smoother engine output on the ground: this form of traction control allows the rider to open the throttle earlier, for a far more rapid ascent to top speed.
The light clutch lever load brings much less fatigue and arm pump, helping the rider to perform more laps without going over the limits, consequently committing less driving errors.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I've got three bikes to sell to finance my new bike, so I'm starting to wonder about the best time to start putting up ads. We've had some days with (for the season) great weather now. Sunny, around +5 celsius. Most of the larger streets are free of snow and with the sand mostly gone it is quite rideable now, but as soon as you get into residental area with smaller streets its still pretty rough riding. A very uneven surface with snow and ice that has melted in spots, giving you "potholes" in the ice that shake you around pretty good even in a car.

Should I wait for it to get warmer and melt some more, or maybe put up the ads now and hope that the last few days of "spring" has made people start looking for bikes again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
186 cm (6'1") here too. When I have both a tank bag and a tail bag on the bike, I use the John Cleese-technique. Sometimes I even skip the finger.