Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I have always just ridden through winter so it's never been a problem previously but I am now somewhere it's getting cold for winter (and I have a car now). Is a battery charger critical if my bike's going to be laid up for a few months? I am not going to be able to ride it for a while as I have hosed up my leg.

The bike is in an underground garage so not warm but shouldn't freeze, there is a power socket in my space so I would be able to run a charger - though in my lease it does say not to plug anything in, I am assuming that is probably bollocks. If I need one, is an Optimate 3 the right thing to get or is there something else? Does part of the cable just stay attached to the bike? I understand the battery is pretty easy to get at under the seat. It's a 2018 CBR1000RR.

Reminds me I need to get a cover for it as well. Sad times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Slavvy posted:

You will definitely need a trickle charger if you want to keep that battery, an optimate is fine but really any cheap digital trickle charger will do the job. Usually they have a little harness consisting of two eye terminals that permanently bolt to your battery and a connector that you dangle somewhere inconspicuous on the bike, like under the seat or whatever. The charger just plugs into that.

Awesome cheers. Looking like the Optimate anyway as the Amazon sellers won't ship the cheaper ones to Schweiz.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Well I hosed up installing the Optimate. Got the seat off, lined the new cable up - and then the terminal bolt fell off the screwdriver into the bowels of the undertray. I could see it initially but trying to get at it made it scamper further in. Looks to me like the ABS gubbins is all in there and there are warning stickers saying not to unscrew bits and pieces. gently caress

My thought is to undo the undertray and see if I can get it from underneath, I can't find a full service manual for this bike online but from these instructions for an accessory cable you have to take off all the rear bodywork to get at it. http://powersports.honda.com/documentum/MW01/08E70-MKF-D40.pdf

Any advice apart from the obligatory hearty laughter? Any idea where I might find a service manual?

(This is all complicated by not being able to stand on both legs so I am loving hopping everywhere)

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This and a wire coat hanger are your friends here.

That is awesome, thanks.

[agh of course it's 4x as expensive in Switzerland. Oh well]

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Ta-daa

Crutches: check. Bike in pieces: check. All back together now, about 3 hours for a 10 minute job. I took all the rear plastics off, couldn't get at it, then found an access panel that opened onto a place I could get my coat hanger into. Magic

That sounds like a nightmare Jim Silly-Balls! Did you get it back?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Yoshimo posted:

So my Harley Sportster '72 is a loving nightmare to try and get the battery out of. I ordered this:

http://www.oxfordproducts.com/motorcycle/brands/oxford/battery_care_and_power_accessories/oximiser_888_anniversary_edition_uk/

and some croc clips. The only problem is, it's seemingly a loving nightmare to get the battery out or to even get access to the negative terminal on the battery. I've previously charged it up before with a smart charger by connecting positive > positive and negative > the metal. My question is, if I hook the above item up the same way, will it still work as intended? Will it be able to read the state of the battery and automatically adjust the charge level and all that other fun stuff it claims on the box?

Is your model different from this?

https://www.hdforums.com/how-tos/a/harley-davidson-sportster-how-to-replace-battery-412756

Doesn't seem all that bad for access to stick a cable on.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Sagebrush posted:

It's just a flange bolt. The dimple in the top is not important -- it just makes them look fancier. Match the length, diameter and pitch in zinc-plated (not galvanized!) steel and you'll be fine.

Woah I had always thought that galvanised and zinc plated were the same thing. Is it the difference between electroplated and mechanically plated then?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

If you're servicing bikes yourself do you write anything in the little book thing? Or just keep receipts?

It's a bit lame but I worry about resale value if I don't have all the stamps in the book and everything entered onto Mr Honda's computer. At least the Honda servicing isn't as much of a rip-off as my Audi.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The fairings on my succession of CBRs have all been great, you don't really notice much wind until you're going pretty quick. The old 1999 bike had the biggest fairing but also the most relaxed riding position so probably evens out.

I did notice my neck getting tired on my long trip in northern Italy last year, but that is constant drag rather than any buffeting. Also I chased some ridiculous BMW car along the autostrada for a bit until I ran out of balls, it got extremely windy and by brain couldn't keep up with how fast the scenery was coming past so I slowed down.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Renaissance Robot posted:

In the UK cars will actually move out of the way to let bikes split past sometimes, it's pretty great. Unfortunately you still can't split everywhere because a lot of the roads are too narrow when they're backed up with traffic, especially if you get two fat SUVs next to each other.

I got doored once on a bicycle, but that was an accident :shobon:

I know everyone does it but isn't filtering technically illegal still in the UK? Either illegal or like a grey area.

Unsurprising to hear the US police are total killjoys about it.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I noticed a big difference between riding in London where bikes are so commonplace that even the doziest driver is generally aware of bikes, to riding in Birmingham which was loving lethal.

The standard of driving here in Switzerland is generally quite poo poo. On the mountain roads people drive down the middle a lot and swerve out of the way when something comes the other direction. Wankers.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Russian Bear posted:

I know there are a few of us on here with MT03s. Has anyone put a windscreen on theirs that they like? I have the additional problem of being 6'4 so I assume I'll need a super dorky tall one to take wind blast off my head. Also with said dork level I assume it comes with a top box too.

I don't have a MT-03, but you don't necessarily want a head level screen because it puts all the wind blast onto your head. Chest and shoulders is better until you get to Goldwang size fairings that shield you fully.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Solar powered trickle charger?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Will you be livestreaming the denouement?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Lungboy posted:

Thanks. I've been thinking about the smaller maxi-scoots like the Xmax 300/Forza350 etc but keep coming back to the good old SV650 as they are around the same price.

Where in the UK are you? For a motorway commute all year I'd personally want a bike with a fairing. I saw your other post and was going to suggest something like a VFR800 which are reasonably cheap for mid-00s models. May drink a bit more petrol than you want if that's a big consideration.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Steakandchips posted:

I have a small motorcycle-clothes-only walk in wardrobe in my study.

Get a clothes horse/rack and hang them on there to air out. Or throw them on the back of a chair. Or hang them on the washing line outside (or if you have an indoor one, indoors). Or wear motorcycle jeans and wash each pair of jeans once a week.

Multiple harleys yet I see no tassels :thunk:

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

A MIRACLE posted:

Should I order the quick shift for my vfr if I can find one? What does a quick shift do really

I wouldn't bother, you should be able to do clutchless upshifts so there's almost no benefit to it. I got one for my fireblade which does up and down shifting, it does make it somewhat behave like a DCT if you don't use the clutch, but works best when the revs are high. For normal speed riding it's generally nicer to use the clutch, and I like changing gear anyway.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

That was the way I was told to learn clutchless upshifts; slight pressure up on the shifter and tap the clutch. Gives very smooth shifts.

I don't tend to use a lot of clutch shifting up anyway and it's working ok with the quickshifter, I haven't noticed the bike cutting throttle inappropriately. It's on the standard settings but you can change its sensitivity and other poo poo I haven't looked into.

Anyway yeah it doesn't have any noticeable downside on my bike but does take a bit of fun away if you actually use it.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Downshifting it works fine for the gear change but you suddenly get like 20% more engine braking.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

maybe I was not clear, the progression is to tiny clutch pressure and then none at all. But yes the bike will shift up with pressure on the pedal and rolling off the throttle.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The bell looks like it's expressly designed to remove all your front teeth. Yeah better than an open face but not really confidence inspiring.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Step 1 should be getting a pdf of the workshop manual which will have all the general info.

Is the battery type not in the regular manual? Looks to be one of these, other brands will be cheaper.

https://www.yuasabatteries.com/battery/ytx9-bs/

Will a battery charger get super wet where the bike is? You want to pull the battery and take it inside if it's going to be standing all winter and cant get a charger on it.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Xakura posted:

So, uh

Whats the hand signal for "you're riding with your sidestand out"?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=92d1xtjXf8E

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Can I stick 10W-50 into the Blade instead of 10W-30?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Roger

e: found some 10w-30 online though it was surprisingly hard

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Oct 23, 2022

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Yeah I used Motul 7100 10w-30 in the end.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I quite like Donut Media. The American-yelling-at-stuff vibe is not really my thing, but that's just one of the guys and the content is good entertainment.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Yes it is dumb. Remembering back to the early 2000s and materials science classes, aluminium (alloy) has low density but has way worse mechanical properties than steel.

A key factor is because of the crystal structure of iron it has a yield point for stress, below which it only deforms elastically. Aluminium doesn't have this property and as a result is way more susceptible to fatigue, which is why springs are basically all steel.

Steel is also much harder and wears better than Al. It's just a better material for sprockets, chains, other high wear parts.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Yeah it may depend a bit on your location but when runoff crosses the roads up here in the mountains it tends to bring grit and gravel with it.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Phy posted:

Every time I see the phrase"elaborate system of ropes and pulleys" I think of how Thomas "Leaded Gas and CFCs" Midgely died

Lol same

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

There is a knack to it, you push down on the stand with your foot and simultaneously pull upwards on a grab rail. It should just pop up onto the stand.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Oh bore off

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Riders in the UK nod to each other.

I have some speed bleeders I want to stick on the Fireblade at the same time as changing the brake fluid. I was originally planning to drain it, swap in the speed bleeders, refill, but this video I found he just undoes the old ones and quickly sticks in the new. I have ABS and want to avoid getting a load of air in the system if I can. Is this a reasonable approach?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EbArlJNYQE

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I don't think the ones that come with chargers have diodes in em. I'd just use that.

e: just spotted who asked the question, maybe in your case it makes sense

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

IMO if you are getting towards things like whole front end and shock replacement you may as well just get a better bike.

In a similar zone I've just bought a gold back wheel for a fireblade SP off ebay, the fronts are (maybe predictably) more hard to come by so I may have to get a new OEM one. I guess I can swap over the brake discs and ABS sensor rings though that feels like a pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The Navi is very cute, if OP wants something bigger eventually Honda has multiple options for bikes with DCT transmissions. I think there's a 750 in there.