Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Whaaaaaaaat is this Honda? I spotted it unceremoniously parked in someone’s lawn and had to take a pic. It appears to be a longitudinal V4? Like a CX500 except more modern and a 4-cylinder?

I cannot for the life of me think of what this is

I have a similar question. Does anyone know which bike this is?

I feel like it's some sort of Honda homologation race bike from the late 80s/early 90s, but I don't know if that's just because it's 2 stroke and red.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yes! That is it. Is that a NACA duct for the air intake or just some vent for cooling (clutch)? Looks like the exhaust was rerouted for some reason.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Buy a bicycle pump.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What’s even easier than changing your injection molding is changing the acceleration curve for the throttle in software. Literally a software change.

Is this a potential issue in all fuel injected bikes or only if they are also ride-by-wire? My bike is fuel injected but has a mechanical throttle. The throttle feels pretty smooth to me, but I don’t have much of a data set for comparison.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I had to tighten my chain like 3-4 times in the first 1000mi. I just checked it yesterday and it’s fine, and I don’t think I’ve tightened it in almost 2000mi now. It was shockingly loose when I checked at 400mi so maybe it was never quite right in the first place. I have been cleaning and lubing it, which probably helps.

Toe Rag fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 27, 2020

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

15:50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8KpbCbOiYQ&t=950s

since this is the question thread, for those who don't know, the first little 'tik' when he turns the torque wrench to about 5 o'clock is the mechanism indicating that it's hit the set torque. that is where you're supposed to stop, but he continues for another quarter turn. he then appears to give it another two full rotations or so, shearing the bolt off.

then he does it again

This too

https://www.uasvision.com/2012/03/09/electrical-failure-caused-global-hawk-crash-in-afghanistan/

quote:

Specifically, an electrical connector to an unidentified line replacement unit (LRU) partially separated. This caused electrical damage inside the LRU, which cut power to the actuators that controlled the unmanned aircraft’s ailerons and spoilers. Within 1 min of the power failure, the aircraft lost control after hitting minor turbulence.

“Post-mishap analyses of in-service LRU-X-1 cap screws reflect a significant departure from required values of 18-22 inch-pounds above prevailing torque,” reads the report. “Improper torque, insufficient use of thread locking compound or reuse of a deformed lock washer could allow cap screws to vibrate loose during flight operations.”

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

TheBacon posted:

As for illegal, I can't really answer that.

It’s probably fraud. You’re talking a little over $5/month difference. I don’t think that’s worth it, but I’m fairly risk-averse and possibly paranoid.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

There’s unfortunately no real safe/controlled environment to practice splitting. You just have to do it. If you have experience with it on a bicycle that helps. I don’t commute so I’m seldom in traffic, and I am personally uncomfortable splitting beyond ~40mph (with keeping a ~10mph speed differential). A lot of times in SF I don’t even split at all because the lanes are too narrow. It’s definitely a skill you have to practice though. It’s much better on the freeway, where you often have 6-8’ between cars.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Aren’t carbs complicated in the same way a mechanical watch is complicated? It’s easy to understand the operating principles but troubleshooting and fine tuning is maybe less easy.

I don’t have either so maybe I’m way off.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

People just assumed he meant the wooden part of the brush because it was being presented as an alternative to a popsickle stick.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I have a Sena 10c evo. I picked this because it is small and a comm system as well, so it helps minimizing the amount of stuff strapped to my helmet. The only real complaint I have is battery life. For commuting it’s fine but if you’re gonna be riding for more than 90 minutes you need to figure something out.

It has to mount on the left of your helmet, so there is a possibility it wouldn’t capture something to the right that a chin-mounted GoPro would.

If you just want a dashcam, then I think it’s fine. That’s why I have it. I can attempt to answer any questions you may have!

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I was looking through my service manual and found this illustration of my fork.

I had assumed I had a cartridge fork, but it turns out I can’t tell looking at the drawing. I’ve never noticed any harshness that I’ve read about from damping rod forks. Why are the internals different from one to the other? I doubt it’s a separate function fork.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Honda CB300R, which is small and pretty light. Yeah, I thought it looked like what you described, but that sounded like a bizarre setup, so I was left clueless.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Renaissance Robot posted:

I assume the calibration varies by bike and is the reason cartridges don't come standard in all forks?

I was under the impression that most modern bikes, especially “sporty” bikes, have cartridge forks, even if rudimentary and non adjustable. Is that not true?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Slavvy posted:

Is this like how American chocolate and cheese are mostly awful?

American cheeses and chocolates are good, actually. You probably just get all the mass produced, barely edible rubbish in NZ.

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

OK, thanks. I can do spokes and alignment and I'm pretty sure how to check head bearings, and I think I've got the process for the forks down from watching this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNEmOqY02EU, I'll get on it tomorrow. I think I'll properly bypass the clutch switch while I'm at it.

You might not need to do this. I did this probably like 5+ times with no change. My risers are rubber mounted, so I just had to loosen them up and straighten it back out that way. Just FYI.

Edit: by all means feel free to make sure your fork is aligned, but don’t be like me and think you did it wrong because it doesn’t fix the problem, since it might not be the problem!

Toe Rag fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 16, 2020

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

:hellyeah:

Yeah I imagine stuff in stores like that is more nostalgia than being objectively good. At the risk of being obnoxious most good food stuffs probably don’t make it more than a few hundred miles from where it’s made. Beer is a notable exception.

Here is a motorcycle question: I found a gash in my rear tire, maybe an inch long. I don't have a tread depth tool, but using a butter knife and caliper, the gash was about 3.8mm deep and the remaining tread like 4.5mm. These are possibly wildly inaccurate measurements. Is that cause for concern? It's towards the center of the tire. I’m not sure how long it’s been there. I suspect it is new.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Do any bikes rev to 20k? I thought maybe the Honda MC22, but I double checked and it’s a meager 19k. My bike only revs to 10.5k :smith:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I wonder how much money could be saved on road maintenance, not to mention crashes, by just making people run winter tires instead of chains. The Donner Pass on I-80 is completely wrecked.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Are there vendors there who will let you demo a helmet if yours gets rejected? If you’re just a month or two over I doubt they’d reject it but you never know! I did a track day this weekend and they didn’t inspect any of my gear, just my bike.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I thought this was a chicken strips safe space.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Asleep Style posted:

Is there a proper way to dispose of a helmet that's past it's useful life? Thought I'd double check before just chucking it in the dumpster

I’ve heard you can donate it to your local emergency services so they can use it to practice safe removal etc.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Steakandchips posted:

Get a trailer or a white van man with a ramp.

Note to Americans: the van is white, the man can be any colour.

Man with a van isn't really a thing here afaik.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I have these straps

https://www.rhinousainc.com/collections/tie-down-straps-1/products/ratchet-straps

They have clips on both ends, come with “soft loop” straps in case you don’t have a good spot on your bars for the metal hook, and some nice velcro to keep it all tidy, and storage bag. I didn’t do any research before buying but I am satisfied!! You can even get them in orange (or green).

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I thought the primary point of frame sliders wasn't to protect your plastics but to keep the frame and engine/clutch/stator covers off the asphalt and grinding away, so you can just replace the pucks instead of the engine, or whatever. RE: the R6 frame sliders and engine mounts, do the OEM Yamaha sliders do the same thing?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

GriszledMelkaba posted:

I've got the highest liability, and especially the highest uninsured/underinsured I can get, along with a low deductible comprehensive. I don't have collision cause if I gently caress up I've hosed up

Yeah this but I don’t have collision because it’s hilariously expensive, at least for me. I did a quote a couple months back and it was around 2k/year iirc, which is more expensive than my car which is easily worth 6x as much. Without collision my insurance is sub 500/year.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

What about this

https://abbastandsusa.com/product-detail.asp?item=sky-lift&pid=44

https://youtu.be/4nKOfagyrgI

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Slavvy please rate

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Slavvy posted:

This is honestly not so bad. Putting aside all questions of style and just looking at the machine itself, the only things really wrong with it are the handlebars and rear suspension, it looks like it has gently caress all clearance and the swingarm is in pro-squat territory, but it might just be perspective. And ok the seat isn't ideal. Judging by the tyre it's been built for burnouts? It wouldn't be any good for much else. Also wtf is happening with that gear shifter.

Like, I want to build a sportster one day and it probably wouldn't look too different to that, aesthetic decisions aside.

It's someone's track bike which is kind of hilarious. Yeah the shifter is incredible. How can you tell it has pro-squat without seeing the chain? Just familiar enough with the engine? The little brake line T at the front look a little questionable to me, but I guess it works.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I dismounted my bike yesterday but forgot to put the sidestand down :o: I bent my gear shift lever without noticing, and then split the dust cover/boot over the ball joint when I tried to shift. Can I just buy a dust cover and slide it up and over? This drawing seems to imply that 1 and 3 (or 2 and 3) should be either bought together or come together anyway. I bent my gear lever before and needed to replace it, and my recollection is the boot was already on there.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Got it, thanks. Yeah the weird conjoined lines makes it seem like they are both separate and bundles parts. I'll give the whole linkage a good look over tomorrow and make sure nothing else is messed up. It felt fine after I pulled it straight. I need to order a new clutch lever as well. I can't believe I did that :smith: I blame the heat. It was over 100 for most of the day.

BTW what happens if you don't put even turns on the rod? It will add an angle and give you sloppy shifting?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Fwiw I had taken the shift rod off before and put it back on without any care, and my up shifts will slip out with some frequency. Downshifts are always fine. I’ve attributed this to just not moving the lever all the way thru its travel. I’ve ordered an entire replacement. The lever needs to be bent back more still. It’s like a $5 part so may as well just replace it.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I forgot I put it in there and then kicked it when getting on the bike :negative:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

CB400F had a kick start. Some homeless dude outside my apartment had one, straight piped of course. It took him like 5 minutes to kick it over each night. They also had a 5-series and a 30’ class A motor home. I still don’t understand what was going on there.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

He said it has the LSD from a Miata, which is a clutch-type IIRC. This is maybe just a sprocket welded or riveted onto the basket?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

This one?

https://www.shopyamaha.com/product/details/new-front-cowl-2020-mt-03

My friend ordered one, and it was on back order for over a year. I’m not sure if she ever got it actually. Good luck!

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Is it so you can know how far the screw is turned without backing it out? I guess you’d have to know where it started for that to work but I’m not sure why else a screw like this exists.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Different Norton

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/the-collapse-of-norton-motorcycles

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Skyarb posted:

This is what the battery looks like. So it has those weird prongs instead of typical terminals. It has a clip in adapter to connect to the bike.

The battery tender jr isn't on amazon, oddly enough, would any store have it like walmart?

Those are blade terminals, and the cable clamps should be able to connect to them. Unless something weird is happening, you can pull off whatever wiring is connected and then push it back on when done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Invalido posted:

If I only look at the Germans I usually buy car tires from they are kind enough to enable listing only the tires that are available for both front and rear dimensions, they offer:

Avon Roadrider MK II
Dunlop Sportsmart TT
Heidenau K80
Metzeler Sportec Street and Roadtec 01
Michelin Pilot Street
Mitas Sport Force + as well as Sport Force + SOFT
Pirelli Sport Demon

I can also buy front+rear Bridgestone Battlax Racing Street RS10 or Continental ContiAttack SM EVO from a different place, for example.

110/70 and 150/60? Or something these? Is there a tire type you’re looking for? RS10 and the ContiAttack are way different from the rest of those.