Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
Long Way Down: waaah waah our free helmets might not get here waaaah waaah our staff might not get our travel papers in order in time waaaaaaaah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Z3n posted:

Does anyone still have a link to the ABS study that was linked in the previous megathread? It covered ABS braking in wet and dry compared to non-ABS braking in wet and dry.

Edit: Found it.

I assume you are talking about one of Promocycle's reports.

For future reference.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Z3n posted:

Was actually refering to this one:

http://www.ibmwr.org/prodreview/abstests.html

Those ones as well though.

The Promocycle one is quite a bit newer and shows much improved dry pavement stopping with ABS.

Comparing new non-ABS brakes against ABS-equipped bikes from almost 20 years ago is a bit silly. Like comparing the carbs on a new motorcycle to the very first generation of electronic fuel injection and claiming all EFI sucks. I see a lot of folks doing this.

I've changed my view of ABS on motorcycle and if it's an option on my next one, I'll buy it.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

redscare posted:

Here's question that came up on my ride home from work today in the rain: how are you supposed to deal with the whole not having a wiper thing?

If you use a cleaning or polishing agent like Plexus it'll bead up and slide off.

Buy some Plexus.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
Woooo first ride of the season was yesterday!

One to three inches of snow due tomorrow. :(

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
AMA Motow is only $35 a year on top of your AMA membership and I've only heard good things about it.

If you have cellphone reception you're not in the boondocks. :smug:

Did you end up making the sale ok?

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
Any tips for separating the fork tube from the fork slider on a Showa front fork? It's off my '04 Honda 599 and I've taken everything off the fork according to the factory service manual. I've done front forks before but the interference fit between the bushings and the fork slider is incredibly tight.

Interweb research tells me using a heat on the top of the fork slider can make it expand and break up any corrosion that may be in there. I plan on trying this tonight.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Nerobro posted:

I usually use the fork leg as a slide hammer.

That's how it usually works, yeah. I have the fork slider in my vise bolted to my workbench and I'm yanking on the fork leg as hard as I can, but all that does is start pulling screws apart on the workbench. It's in there loving good.

My previous fork disassemblies have come apart just grabbing the tube in one hand and slider in the other, this fucker is incredibly tight.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
Stuck tubes in sliders seems to be a common issue with heat as the solution.

I'll break out my propane torch when I get home and see what happens.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
Fork tubes separated, the old fork oil seal was jammed in there so hard it wasn't letting the bushing come out. Carefully pried that out and rocked the slider and tube apart.

Woohoo!

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

gixxer dude posted:

There was a case of the stuff stacked at the end of an aisle. Definately not cold or in the cooler. Also it was over $7 for the two bottles

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

If it didn't say ENERGY DRINK in gargantuan letters on the bottle and wasn't probably delivered cold it might be believable...

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

Forums stupidity notwithstanding someone with over 2k posts logged would probably not pour two full bottles of something he got out of a chilled drink refrigerator that say "ENERGY DRINK" in giant letters into his tank.

:confused:

The energy drink in gas tank shennanigans isn't anything I'd put past any GSX-R owner I personally know, although they'd probably rather spend their money on a sweet new exhaust can, brah.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
:rant: Yet another screw in my tire. Just 3,000 miles ago I had to replace a rear tire due to a nail and today, 100 miles from home, I see a loving lag bolt in my front tire that looks to have been in there for a while. :argh:

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
If I had to pull, adjust and reinstall a bank of carbs multiple times in a day I would shoot someone.

My friend better have a lot of beer on hand for me when we gently caress with his Bandit's jetting.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
No god damned wonder my 599's clutch has been acting up:

Hammered out spots on the clutch basket fingers. From my understanding this can cause strange engagement and tough clutch pull which I've been getting more and more.

Also this is fine right?

... oh.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

dietcokefiend posted:

:sigh:

Only Indiana can make what might have been a fun motorcycle ride into the most painful experience of my entire life. Route normally takes 5.5-6 hours, ended up taking 9-9.5 hours because of construction. loving 2 hours on the way out to travel 3 miles. On the way back crash after crash made me detour through Bumsfucksville Indiana.

After 5-6 hours my rear end and knees reached a point where I could barely do anything. I was stopping every 45-60 minutes, stretched and everything, but I still reached a point where it was painful to do anything. Like 3-4 minutes to dismount the bike at gas stations painful. The Corbin seat was of no help. The best description of the pain would be if someone stuck ducttape all over your rear end, and on each bump tore it off. That was the pain I felt on every big bump in the road, which Indiana had plenty. I think I might sit on a pillow next time :cry:

Besides the seat I dont know what to do about my knees. Highway pegs would be nice, but nowhere to mount them on the SV.

Ideas would be appreciated since at this point I dont know if I can stand another long distance trip. :(

LD Comfort shorts and BMX bicycle pegs:

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Nerobro posted:

N8's right too. You could just be to tall for the damned thing. That's a 100% fixable problem with seat padding, and re-mounting the pegs. I don't recomend the BMX peg thing, as they're solid and not mounted on the frame, you'd be looking at a very expensive parking lot drop, since you'd immediately cause radiator damage.

Nah the radiator will be fine, but the engine mounting bosses will snap off. :v:

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Nate Falls posted:

Seriously. As a Cali biker, I just don't understand why the riders in the other 49 states haven't had a straight-up revolt. I would completely lose my poo poo in LA if I had to crawl along in traffic with all the cages while my temp gauge rose and my pants legs threatened to light on fire.

Most of the other nations in the civilized world have realized that it's insane to just pretend that bikes are exactly the same as cars.

Out here, little to no traffic is the norm.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

buildmyrigdotcom posted:

There's almost brand new 2002 TW200 with 18 miles for sale near me, hopefully going to see it tomorrow. She's asking $1500 for it which seems like a good price. What do you guys think?

God drat, TW200s that are ten year or more old go for that price, with a lot of miles.

If it starts up cold okay, runs alright, I'd say go for it. Even with a dirty or gummed up carb, it's a tiny thumper, it'll be easy to fix! :v:

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
I'll beat the Bandit drum along with Phat_Albert. They meet all your requirements and as a bonus are dirt cheap.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
"Unclean" is the best color of bike and gear. :colbert:

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

I use Cat Crap and it works well. You have to be pretty patient while buffing it in or you'll end up with halos and stuff at night, but if you take the time to apply it correctly you don't notice its presence. Stops all fogging for a couple days to a couple weeks in my experience.

I must be a heavy mouthbreather since Cat Crap doesn't work for poo poo for me.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

SlightlyMadman posted:

Somebody stole my motherfucking seat. What the gently caress? Who the hell does that? On a related note, does anybody know how to lock down a seat on a Bonneville?

:psyduck:

There's a guy over at the Triumph RAT forums who has a flip-up seat from a modified Scrambler solo seat. You may be able to see how that was done and add a lock to it.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
I was mistaken, it wasn't on that site. But I did find the kit.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

SlightlyMadman posted:

In my MSF course, we had it drilled into our heads to always shut off the kill switch first. I always assumed there was some sort of actual reason for it that makes it better that way, but I guess if a lot of people don't do it, there must not be? Still, I'm glad I got in the habit, since apparently there's practical reasons for it, QED.

This is taught in rider ed so you keep both your hands on the handlebars, near the controls. That way you can keep the clutch in and front brake applied until the engine stops running.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

-Inu- posted:

Also, I never pull the clutch in during emergency braking because I've always felt that you lose the extra engine braking. Never been too concerned about locking up the rear and stalling since I only use the rear brake below 20mph.

Read page nine to understand why to pull the clutch in.

Skier fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 22, 2011

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

harm0nic posted:

Any of you guys ridden the newer Urals or, for that matter, a bike with a sidecar? I trek to Austin on the SV at least once a month, and I kinda sorta wanna buy a Ural Retro to make the ride a bit more enjoyable.

There's a bunch of folks at ADVRider's hacks forum that have them, and there's always the Soviet Steeds forum as well.

Give this thread a read as it has a lot of great info in it. Pros and cons of Ural ownership.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
Just changed out a clutch cable when it was snowing on me. :thumbsup:

Get the gently caress out, winter.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Slim Pickens posted:

Just finished planning my ride for tomorrow. 1,232 miles through eastern Washington which I think should be comfortably doable in 3 days.

Click for Google Maps route.

Bikes been fully prepped, all I need to do is pack what I need and scout out camping locations. Should be a blast!

Make the detour to Joseph, OR from Enterprise, OR to hit up the Cheyenne Cafe. It's right on the main drag, across from a grocery store and near a Chevron. Get their cinnamon roll.

Also, take Spiral Highway north from Lewiston, ID/Clarkston, WA.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
gently caress yeah Rattlesnake Grade. :hfive:

One day I will return to get a better avatar photo.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

clutchpuck posted:

Two weeks from tomorrow I should be somewhere between Chilliwack and Prince George on this trip

See you up there, we're leaving June 3rd. Look for a pair of riders, Honda 599 and KTM 990.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
I'm heading to Alaska in like 40 hours and this morning another loving spark plug backed itself out. Not sure if there's something going on or if I just didn't snug them down last time I was in there. Made sure they were all tight, did an oil change and packing is almost entirely done. :kingsley: slight panic setting in.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

clutchpuck posted:

I'm riding a Buell up. Panic is my normal state.

Should I have thought about new spark plug wires? Probably.

Also, it's probably good we're leaving this week and not last... read on ADVRider:

That chance of precip next week though... oh yes.

Yeah most of the trips I take to Alaska involve me being cold and wet for a vast majority of it.

Looking forward to crossing paths with you up there!

Set up for two-up dry camping and food for a week or two. Wifeunit is a tetris pro.

But I'll have extra room after she flies back home out of Anchorage. Tent on passenger seat instead of being separated into poles+stakes, compression sack for rain cover, compression sack for tent shell.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
Some photos from Alaska 2016:

Denali Highway:

Said highway was more than a match for the KTM 990's fork seals:

For the week the two of us riders split, my wife and I were in Denali National Park. Savage River hike:

Rode through the tunnel to spend a night in Whittier:

After the week apart the KTM got fixed by a shop in Anchorage and we took Top of the World Highway, including the detour to Eagle, AK:

Outside Radium Hot Springs:

Fun trip and not a single spark plug came loose.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

clutchpuck posted:

Didn't see many KTMs up there. Maybe like 1 in 100. It was all Harleys and Beemers. Were you around during the HOG Rally? Lots of dudes who can't ride were out.

Yeah, we were in Anchorage June 10th and June 16th, rally wasn't far off. Tons of BMWs for sure, including the father/son we talked to near Tok where the son said his F800GS was too small for touring, hence him being on a 1200GS. Funny to hear as I'm gassing up my 599.

Tons of dual sport bikes on Top of the World. Dust to Dawson ended the day before so you'd see a dozen bikes come the other way, then a 15 minute gap and another batch of bikes. The ferry at Dawson City clumped them up I guess.

Schroeder91 posted:

I never want to live in Alaska again, but I'd love to spend a summer riding up there. Beautiful state but gently caress snow

Agreed. Snow is something you should drive to, not have on your house!

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
Why is it so hard to get a shock?

Company A: responds to email inquiry with "here's an illegible six page Excel spreadsheet, figure out what you need and let us know!"

Company B: didn't respond to email for a week, I sent another email, got a response, had multiple phone calls, finally got word everything is sorted/calculated and they can take my payment info for a shock. A week after giving a credit card on the phone, no word, no charges on card, just silence.

Company C: five weeks after initial contact, finally get a shock ordered, it shows up and it's the wrong length. Call them back, find out this company is probably closing their doors forever in a month and can't fix their mistake. :cripes: Got a refund, so a free useless shock.

Company D: they want the existing shock in hand before making a new one.

:shepicide:

At this rate I'll buy a six pack of Progressive shocks and keep cycling them out when they die after a season or two.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
Chichevache hope you clean up well. :ohdear:

Jazzzzz posted:

What kind of bike do you have? HJL mentions a 990 - as in KTM? SuperDuke, Adventure?

Who gave you the impossible-to-decipher spreadsheet, Racetech?

It's for the sidecar on my Triumph Scrambler. Uses an off-the-shelf Progressive 412 with a lighter spring.

Nitron gave me the spreadsheet with every image describing what measurements they need completely unusable even after tweaking them.

Rumor has it the sidecar manufacturer has used Hagons in the past, might call 'em up and see if they have one on hand.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Jazzzzz posted:

Any of you folks know much about sidecars? Before I go full dad bike and get a goldwing or some other rolling couch for riding with the wife I started looking into leaner sidecars and found this dude in Germany making them. I'd still keep a second bike for solo rides but this makes for more interesting passenger options (eg my dog) and avoids some of the issues with traditional sidecar handling or lack thereof.

This started with looking at Urals, which I quickly decided was an even worse investment than importing a custom side car from Europe

Lotta good info over in ADVRider. http://advrider.com/index.php?search/46776059/&q=leaners&o=relevance&c[node]=56 . Gotta copy/paste that, dang square brackets make it difficult to get the BBCode stuff working.

I like my Triumph Scrambler sidecar rig. Looks sharp and is a great way to haul the wife around for camping trips. Get to bring a lot of stuff that makes camping more enjoyable than eating meals from a can when you're going super lightweight. Plus your passenger can squirm all they want without making the operator mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Jazzzzz posted:

I've been through the Hack forum over at ADVRider, that's where I got the idea for a leaner. The squirming passenger thing is one of the reasons that a sidecar sounds good.

How long did it take you to adjust to the way your sidecar makes the bike handle? What kind of hack did you put on the scrambler, btw?

Took a couple years before I was anywhere near as competent at riding an outfit as I was riding a solo bike. Took a few classes, got lots of practice, tried to rack up a fair amount of miles.

I've got a Dauntless M72D on it: http://www.dmcsidecars.com/sidecars/m72d/ .