Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

How is Verizon prepaid's website and support? I switched to AT&T from Boost earlier this year, and AT&T has all the prepaid stuff on a completely different, walled-off, gimped website with few options. Boost's website was significantly better - hell, even the Xfinity website is better.

I avoided T-Mobile because I know their service is next to nonexistent at my house, but now I've found AT&T to be almost as bad. I know Verizon puts out decent signal here, and I own an unlocked universal phone so changing carriers shouldn't be a big deal. I was considering an MVNO but I just don't want to deal with porting my number any more times than necessary, because it was like pulling teeth to get it ported from Boost to AT&T. Is Verizon prepaid a decent experience to manage, or is it bad enough I should consider Tracfone or Ting or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Uthor posted:

I don't know if prepaid is the issue with AT&T. I tried replacing my sister's email with my parents' on their account (she signed them up before they had email) and I had to do it in like eight different locations on the site and one of them I couldn't switch at all, so my sis is still getting bill pending emails.

Um, anyway, I switched to Verizon in person (from Cricket) and it was fairly painless, but I had all my account info written down, including PIN codes.

That's one of my concerns - the AT&T prepaid site is so bad it has little information and even less ways of changing it. I'll dig into that further before switching. Getting my Boost account number required calling them (seriously, it's the only way to get your Boost account number) and they try to do customer retention poo poo. I told them I was changing carriers because they were going to T-Mobile towers only, which suck at my house, and they didn't really have an answer to that.

Duckman2008 posted:

Verizon prepaid has good coverage, postpaid does have higher priority but prepaid still does the trick. It is similar in that it’s more limited customer service than postpaid, but that’s one reason it’s cheaper tbh. Honestly, likely to be fine but nothing replaces trying it out.

Switching from ATT prepaid to Verizon prepaid should be like, 10-50 mins for it to switchover.

How much data do you need ?

FYI if you need help ordering a prepaid SIM, feel free to PM and I can reach out and help you order it. I can’t reserve a SIM for prepaid in store, it would be standard 2 day shipping.

I've been fine with 4GB/month for the last couple years, and would be switching from a 5GB/month plan probably to another 5GB/month plan. On rare occasions I need to use my phone as a hotspot, but I've never had that use more than 3GB.

Thanks for the offer about the SIM, but I'm kind of thinking of going into a local Verizon store to do it. My biggest concern is with number porting, and I'm thinking doing it in person might provide a little extra insurance.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Update: I finally got my service activated and number ported to Verizon this afternoon. The online order I put in yesterday apparently poofed out of existence with no feedback it had done so, so I had to call and do it by voice with customer support today. Aside from long wait times they were actually great, and were able to actually accomplish something, unlike AT&T support.

I now have usable cell service in my house again, and Verizon's online tools are much more competent than AT&T Prepaid was. So far so good.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

That might explain why I had to call in the first place - I'd made an online order that seemed to go normally, but when I called the next day when nothing had happened I was told that order was just canceled for no apparent reason. I wonder if they shut down web or payment processing because of the attack.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I think it really depends on what towers you're near, and how good your signal is. I have a 5G phone but just switched to Verizon who don't have 5G towers here yet beacuse their signal does reach my house (unlike T-Mobile or AT&T). I've run speedtests in various places in town and I can get like 200 mbps down some places, but here at home it looks like depending on what room I'm in it can range from 5mbps to 30mbps. At work I'm more like 100-200mbps. The latency is indeed higher than my cable internet, like 40-60 range.

Depending on what you need to do online you might be fine using your phone for Internet, but you really want to see how your phone performs in that specific location before making a decision.

When I had AT&T and was in an actual 5G area my results were slightly better for Internet speed, but that doesn't help when I can't get enough signal in my house to make a phone call, much less use it as a hotspot.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I just picked up a Geek Squad refurbished Moto G Play (2021) to have a secondary/back-up phone. I plan to put it on a rolling Tracfone plan so it builds up data and I can use it as a hotspot if my cable goes down or I travel or something. For years I've had my old Boost phones around so I had this security blanket that if something went wrong I could temporarily swap sims and at least have a working phone, but they're so old and still locked to Boost I felt like throwing a few bucks into a middling phone so I can keep that sense of security going was worth it. And the rollover data on Tracfone means it could serve a purpose in the meantime.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I have one use-case where the 3.5mm jack is important, and that is to easily record voicemails on my computer so I can forward them as needed. 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable from phone to computer microphone jack and it's really easy and high quality. Any other option is a lot more involved and a hassle to accomplish something I don't want to be spending time doing in the first place. This is more a thing for my work phones than it is my personal phones.

That's about all I can think of, though - I've been all Bluetooth headphones for years now.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

AlexDeGruven posted:

Are there still providers that don't have visual voicemail?

Yes. And even if my work phone did have visual voicemail the transcription is often rear end in my experience, and would necessitate being able to copy and paste it which I'm not sure would be that easy, either.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

regulargonzalez posted:

For a very budget phone that is actually under your $200 limit, my mom really likes her Motorola G Power a lot. Big screen and huge battery. Drawbacks, everything you'd expect for a $200 phone -- 720 screen vs 1080 on higher midrange or 4k on higher end phones (267 ppi which is ok-ish), not meant for gaming at all, and mediocre cameras though it does have a macro camera and depth sensor for portrait shots and such. Claimed water resistant but I don't know if it has an official certification.

E: some sites say the 2021 model has a 1080 screen, some say it's still 720. :iiam:

I have a Moto G Play (2021) as a backup/secondary phone, and it seems fine. The 720p screen looks okay to me, at least, and the main thing I am aware of is how small 32GB of internal storage feels to me now. That said I have done very little with this phone since it is, as I said, a backup/secondary phone on a cheap Tracfone plan. The phone itself is a Geeksquad certified "refurb" which I'm thinking was just a return because the person didn't like it or whatever, and it only cost me like $120 or something.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I was on cricket for a long time but I switched to Google Fi at the start of the pandemic since I was at home and on WiFi. Now that I'm starting to go back to the office and am using more data I want to switch back to a prepaid plan. I could go back to cricket, but I was also looking at Mint, probably the 10gb/mo plan. I'm in a large Metro area with good TMobile signal. I have a pixel 4a (non 5g). Are there any other plans or MVNOs I might consider?

I went with Tracfone on my back-up phone and a cheap plan with rollover data. Depending on how much data you need they have plans up to 8GB per month, and whatever isn't used should rollover into the next month as long as you keep service active. I haven't had the plan long enough to see this in action, but I got a 1GB plan since I don't really use that phone with the idea it will build up a bank of data I can use in case my Internet goes out and I need a hotspot without burning the data on my main phone.

In my area I needed Verizon, but Tracfone sim packs come with 3 sim cards - one for each of the major networks. If T-Mobile is the good network for where you are then you could opt for that one.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Detective Thompson posted:

I use Google Fi, and I'm looking to replace my old-rear end Moto X4, which isn't even worth trading in. Looking at what they have available at which prices, it looks like the Samsung Galaxy A32 5G and the Motorola One 5G Ace are what's in my range. I was thinking maybe the Pixel 5a if I could swing it, or do the subscription plan (which actually seems to be slightly more expensive than the discounted price if you buy it outright, but it does come with the upgrade after 2 years.), but between the two cheaper phones, what do you folks recommend? I've read a couple reviews of each, so I've seen what those writers say about pros and cons, but I'm curious about any folks that have more regular use experience with them. Thanks.

I have a Motorola One 5G Ace and really like it, but of course a lot of stuff is going to be subjective. I like the minimal spin Motorola does on Android, and the gestures and tweaks are actually useful. I have an unlocked 6GB memory/128GB storage model, so am not sure if the performance of a 4GB/64GB model is going to be the same, but everything on mine is snappy and fluid. A lot of the reviews bag on the camera, but it's been fine for me. The phone is big but for me is right at the line where it is still manageable - it's pretty much the same size as my last phone, and fits in my pocket comfortably using a slim case. The one negative thing I'd mention would be that I'm still waiting for the Android 11 update, and after that Motorola has not committed to any OS updates. It should still get security updates for a couple years, though, and hopefully Motorola will pull their head out and get better about software updates in general.

I have never owned a Samsung and haven't liked their take on Android the times I've used someone else's phone, so can't offer a direct comparison.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I have Mint Mobile stand I notice that I can’t really stream 4k or even 2k most of the time despite having unlimited 5G. Sometimes it gets so slow I can’t even stream 1080p on YouTube.

Is Mint Mobile just this bad or is this normal for cellphone services?

I haven't used Mint, but it looks like "video optimization" is covered in section 8.7 of their Terms and Conditions. You might be running into that?

https://www.mintmobile.com/plan-terms-and-conditions/

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Also, the fine print on their "unlimited" service says that customers who exceed 35GB of data a month will be limited to 480p video quality.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I spent years on Cricket (before they went AT&T) and then years on Boost (when they were using Sprint), and both were fine for me. Boost was actually really good service, and kept giving me free upgrades just because I hung around - by the end I was paying the same amount for 4GB of data that I had for 1GB to start with. Never had a complaint with the service I received on either one. The only reason I left Boost was because T-Mobile is killing off the Sprint towers and Boost was going to use T-Mobile towers, meaning I needed a new phone and carrier since I know T-Mobile doesn't reach my house. I went to AT&T prepaid and discovered they don't reach my house, either.

I've ended up on Verizon prepaid now because they are the only carrier with usable signal in my house, but my backup is on Tracfone (using the Verizon towers), and both work great. I think MVNOs can be fine but the cost/benefit between them and prepaid plans from the main carriers has become a lot more competitive than it used to be.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Ofecks posted:

I'm also a Boost customer and they've been sending me notices that the CDMA network is being shut down and my phone will be affected. Apparently I either have to get a new 5G phone (mine is a lower-end Samsung 3G/LTE from 2016-ish), or they give me a new sim card for the one I have. I'm thinking I'll get a new phone for 5G capability and the fact that Samsung has been stingy with security patches the past couple years on my current model.

I'm also thinking of not continuing with Boost/T-Mobile because for the past 18 months I've been unable to receive or send MMS. I'd say 80% will not work, and once in a while some will come through. I looked it up and supposedly it's an issue with Samsung phones only. My signal with them is otherwise very good. I live in a tiny town out in the country but there's a tower near my residence so I always have full bars at home. I'm guessing T-Mobile owns that tower now? On TM's coverage map I'm in the "extended 5G range".

An option in my area is my former gigafiber ISP from my last place of residence (https://ting.com/). They offer mobile service, but I'm not sure if they're a MVNO. There's a "DISH Wireless" copyright on the website, guess the satellite TV company owns them now? They have a pay-only-for-what-you-use plan which would be very economical for me since I'm a homebody and don't use a lot of mobile data. My choices for new phone with them would be Samsung Galaxy A42 5G or Motorola one 5G ace. I'm guessing I could get either of those from Boost/T-Mobile as well, if I decide to stay with them. Looks like the biggest difference between the two are screen types/res (the Samsung is 720p Super AMOLED vs the Moto's 1080p LTPS LCD, and I don't know what either means) and internal storage (Samsung has 128 GB vs Moto's 64). I'd be using a microSD so that latter difference isn't major. Oh, the Moto is $50 cheaper and comes with a charger. Pleasantly surprised to see that both still have 3.5mm headphone jacks (and microSD slots, for that matter), thought the industry had done away with them at this point.

3G's being shut off at the end of March next year so I have until then to decide. Or not because my current phone is LTE-capable? I dunno :shrug:

Dish picked up Boost as part of the Sprint/T-Mobile merger, so are nominally going to be their own carrier but are currently having to function as an MVNO. Due to recent T-Mobile fuckery (like shutting down CDMA towers way earlier than they said they would) Dish has now signed a contract with AT&T so if you stay with Boost you'll actually be using AT&T towers, if not now then soon. Ting is an MVNO, and as far as I can tell with a quick search will use T-Mobile and Verizon towers, although they are also owned by Dish. The whole carrier market is a mess, especially after Sprint getting absorbed by T-Mobile.

As to the phones, I've personally avoided Samsung but own a Motorola 5G Ace and been happy with it. Mine is the unlocked version, though, so it has 6GB RAM and 128GB storage compared to the 4GB/64GB version sold by carriers, and I couldn't swear to the performance of the carrier version.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

If you still want to go the prepaid route, I have used AT&T Prepaid for a few years now and have had nothing but excellent service with it. I never feel throttled. In fact, they don't even throttle the non-unlimited data plans, but even when I used the unlimited one I never seemed to be throttled. In huge crowds I still get a super fast signal. In this day and age I would never suggest anyone use an mvno as their main service and think that those should only be used as secondary services. YMMV depending on where you live, of course, but in my past experience, mvnos were often unusable in congested areas.

My impression is that it varies considerably by region, and around here my experience with MVNOs has always been fine. That said, my main phone is now on Verizon and my back-up is on Tracfone - the major carrier prepaid plans are now competitive with MVNOs to a much greater degree than they used to. With autopay and loyalty bonus I already pay less on Verizon than I did for my Boost service and am getting 1GB more data per month. In a few months I get another $5 off my monthly bill, driving my bill lower than it's ever been.

My Tracfone plan is cheaper, but that phone basically doesn't get used and my plan is to let the small amount of data build up on it with Tracfone's rollover in case I need to use it a hotspot or something in the future.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

cage-free egghead posted:

Does Republic allow unlocked phones now? I had the original Moto X way back in the day for them when they were one of the first T-Mobile/Sprint providers.

I haven't heard anything glaring about the latest gen Motos so those are probably a safe bet. Are you opposed to buying used? You can find something like a Pixel 4 for that budget. Or an S10/10e.

I bought a couple Motorola phones this year and I like them - one's a lower end Motorola G Play and the other is a mid-tier One 5G Ace. I think the most common complaint about Motorola is their update policy is kind of poo poo, being very slow and not guaranteeing more than one Android version update and 2 years of security updates. I'm still waiting on my Motorola One 5G Ace to get Android 11, while strangely enough my much lower-tier G Play already got it last month. I'm pretty much okay with it (as long as my Ace eventually gets Android 11), and figure I can probably install Lineage OS when the security updates finally peter out in 2023 or 2024.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

Basically everyone is moving away from including chargers because everyone has a dozen of them sitting around their house already, and if you somehow don't, you can get one at a gas station for $5. poo poo pay me shipping and I'll toss an Apple USB-C charger in the mail for you.

The adapter is for transferring your old phone over.

I have a poo poo-ton of chargers around the house, but not a single one outputs USB-C. At this point I have enough USB-A to USB-C cables it's not a problem, but a couple years ago I would've be in the same boat of not being able to charge that phone.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I have one or two USB-A male to male connector "patch cables" used to transfer data, but that's part of my tech hoarding tendencies.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Javid posted:

What carriers are the least horrible to BYO phone to? I don't need or want a new phone, just to move off my current carrier (fi) quickly and painlessly with my unlocked phone

I got a new unlocked phone last year, started on AT&T Prepaid and then changed to Verizon Prepaid. Of the two I'd say Verizon was easier and had better customer service. AT&T's number porting process was painful both directions.

I got a secondary (also unlocked) phone that I put on Tracfone, and they were fine to deal with, even if their website feels a little like stepping back in time.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Lester Shy posted:

So I should be good, even though I'm on AT&T? There's nothing in the device settings about VoLTE, but "Enhanced 4G LTE Mode (Use LTE services to improve voice and other communications)" is enabled under "Mobile network."

From what I understand about Tracfone I think you might need to get a different SIM to switch over to the T-Mobile network via Tracfone. I bought a Tracfone SIM pack to put my secondary unlocked phone on their service, and it came with 3 SIM cards in it - one for AT&T, one for T-Mobile, and one for Verizon. Since I know only Verizon actually has signal at my house that is the SIM card I used. It's possible your phone is getting bumped off the AT&T whitelist but would function fine on T-Mobile, but I think you'd need the Tracfone T-Mobile network SIM for that to work.

Another caveat here is that Tracfone has been acquired by Verizon, so how long they will continue using all three networks is potentially in doubt.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

shut up blegum posted:

Dropped my phone, cracked my screen. Sigh.
It was a Samsung Galaxy A51, it did everything I wanted it to do, so I'm looking to buy a similar phone. Briefly thought about getting the screen replaced, but that'll cost me 100-150 and that seems like a bit mich for a 2-3 year old phone.

Anyway, some quick googling pointed me in the direction of the Samsung Galaxy A52s 128GB 5G Enterprise Edition or the Motorola Moto G60 128GB. Both phones seem like they'd get the job done, and I had a Moto G phone in the past and liked it. But I'm looking for your input. Any other suggestions in the 200-350 EUR range?
One thing I kinda want is a notification led, but I'm sure I'll manage to live without that too.
-

The biggest problem with Motorola right now is a really poor approach to updates. Security updates are slow to arrive, OS updates even slower, and the number of software updates they promise is lower than industry standard. My two active phones are both Motorolas, and I really like the hardware and their minimalist spin on Android, but have been witnessing the update problem firsthand.

Also, I had to do some searching to figure out which processors the two phones you mention have, but the Samsung has a 778g while the Motorola has a 732g, and the former appears to be significantly more powerful than the latter, so you might want to take that into account in choosing between these or any other phones.

https://nanoreview.net/en/soc-compare/qualcomm-snapdragon-778g-5g-vs-qualcomm-snapdragon-732g

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Ice Phisherman posted:

So I'm a horrible luddite whose flip phone is falling apart as I've been dodging smartphones basically since they've come out. I've got a work from home job coming up that requires talking to people over the phone so I figured I'd bite the bullet and upgrade my tech for sake of convenience.

Refurbished or new is fine, I'm not fancy. Though I would prefer an iPhone as I live with someone who is familiar with how they work. I probably don't need a huge data plan as this will primarily be a work from home phone.

I'd like to keep under 70-80ish dollars a month between buying the phone and the monthly plan.

That's it. Thanks for the attention.

You could sign up with a major carrier and the payments for the phone would be part of your monthly bill, postpaid. Or you could spend more up front and pay for the phone outright, and have a smaller monthly payment on a prepaid plan. A quick search showed official refurbished iPhones from Verizon for the first case, but I didn't check the others. I know Tracfone sells iPhones at fairly low prices for the latter, but I didn't see any refurbs.

I know there are some sites that specialize in people selling used phones, but I've never used one myself.

Choice of carrier can really vary depending on where you live - in my area the only reliable network is Verizon, but I know it's different in other parts of the country. You might check to see what carrier your cohabitor is using with their iPhone, and if they get decent signal.

One thing to be aware of is that there are only 3 carriers in the US - AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon. All the other names you see, like Tracfone, Consumer Cellular, Cricket, and so on, are all using one or more of the big 3 networks. So if you go with a smaller-name company for you carrier it is a good idea to try and figure out which network they are using, since that impacts what phones you can use and what signal you can expect in a given locale.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Ofecks posted:

Well I went to a T-Mobile store hoping to resolve my issue of needing a new phone (and service), but I came away empty-handed. Apparently, you cannot xfer your previous phone # to their prepaid Connect service. That pretty much derailed the whole thing, I wasn't expecting it and I'm not yet mentally prepared for the hassle of changing my #. The employee said the Metro service might do it, "maybe". So I'll have to look into that. Although I doubt they're going to be able to beat Connect's 2.5 GB for $15/month.

I find this highly dubious. I ported my number from Boost to AT&T Prepaid, and then again from AT&T to Verizon Prepaid. The one thing you'll need is your Boost account number, which requires calling their customer service (when they ask why you need it the common advice is to say "tax purposes" or something like that to avoid any customer retention spiel). If your Boost account is paid up, and you have the account number, I have a hard time imagining a major carrier refusing to port the number. The employees probably just didn't want to hassle with a number port.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Ofecks posted:

Huh. Thanks for the tips, I'll see about getting my Boost account number. If they ask me to elaborate "tax purposes", what do I tell them?

"I don't know, work just told me that I need it."

It really isn't a big deal - I was honest with the rep I talked to, and only later saw the advice on giving a bullshit reason. I straight-up told the rep I had to change carriers because my home doesn't get T-Mobile signal (which Boost was going to switch to), and it would've been true now they are switching to AT&T. In fact, that's also the reason I gave AT&T for switching, because the only carrier who reaches my house now is Verizon. It's hard to do retention when your signal doesn't reach the customer.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Duckman2008 posted:

Oh yeah, this is a good point and the only exception to the rule is if the number isn’t serviced in a specific area.

There’s only set of numbers I’ve still run into with this, and it’s certain numbers from the remaining amount of US Cellular areas. Like, middle of Missouri, pockets of Wisconsin and Indiana, and one or two other areas, I very occasionally get a number that legit comes up “cannot be transferred,” and my only solution is to tell them to move it to google voice and get a new number with said new carrier. But yeah, it’s extremely rare.

I wonder if those were numbers using 988 as an area code - apparently there were a fair number and spread around a lot of states. I ran across it when I was looking up the changes that had to be made to accommodate using 988 as a national suicide hotline number.

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/ten-digit-dialing

https://www.verizon.com/about/news/10-digit-dialing-82-area-codes-36-states

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Ofecks posted:

Got my account #. It was really easy, I logged into the website on my PC and used the chat support feature. They called my phone and just gave it to me immediately, no questions asked or retention spiel or anything. Thanks for your help on this. That's step 1, step 2 will be going back to T-Mobile and demand that they xfer my phone #. I'll try online first.

I think I'm going to go with the Samsung A32. Not thrilled about the MediaTek CPU but I also don't want to pay $500 for a device that will have to be replaced in 4 years. Really, this entire disposable tech culture is quite troubling. I wish it were different.

I still have every cellphone I've owned since 2008, with vague plans of repurposing them. It's also kind of neat to stack them to see the growth over time - it's like a ziggurat of old phones. I tend to use them as alarm clocks, and have been messing around with using some as IP cameras, but haven't really put the time or effort into it.

I'm with you on disposable tech culture being troubling, but the landscape makes it difficult to navigate in many ways.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Lester Shy posted:

I just did this over the weekend. If anybody is in the same boat (staying with Tracfone but switching from an ATT SIM to a T-Mobile SIM to avoid the whitelist) you need to call Tracfone and speak to the "Portability Department," which you can reach directly at 1-800-327-2077.

It was a massive headache until I found that number. Nobody else could understand what I was trying to do; they all thought I was switching to or leaving Tracfone.

Did it work? Knowing how tech support for these companies tends to work I'm not terribly surprised that 1st level agents didn't understand the actual issue.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Lester Shy posted:

As far as I can tell, yeah. I currently have service via T-Mobile and the phone passes the T-Mobile compatibility checker, so I think I'm good. They've stopped sending me daily "You MUST Upgrade Now!" e-mails at least.

How long will that last? Who knows.

Cool, good to know - thanks. I'd guess you are probably good for at least a year even with the Verizon acquisition, but it's hard to say. One thing that should help keep Tracfone multi-carrier is they are a pretty big supplier of Federal lifeline phones (colloquially still referred to as Obamaphones) and Verizon had to double pinky swear they wouldn't negatively impact people on that program.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Charles posted:

Does anybody have any experience with Obama phone (Lifeline?) plans? Do they actually work?

I've known a lot of people with one, and they generally work fine. The main things are they tend to be low-end phones, and frequently have plans that are like stepping back in time - limited minutes and low data allowances. Depending on where you are geographically the provider will be different, so could a smaller name like Assurance or a more established company like Tracfone. Accessing customer and such can be a pain, but that's true across cell phones in general.

The only other thing is the annual need to requalify, but that isn't generally much different than requalifying for other assistance programs.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Charles posted:

Around here Assurance uses T-mobile and it seems like a good plan? Unlimited everything, 10GB hotspot, though lower priority on the towers. I think that might be a temporary program for Covid though? The plan below says 4.5gb & 1000 minutes (which would be fine). I'd give one of my old phones away.

edit: Searching reddit, their customer service is pretty awful and they don't allow BYOD, hmm

Yeah, that sounds like the Emergency Broadband Benefit (EBB), which is the newer, pandemic-related program. The Lifeline program should continue fine afterward. I realize I omitted the "service" in my post above in talking about accessing customer service as a potential pain.

Semi-related, there is also a long-standing, pre-pandemic program that will cover Internet service that most major ISPs can access, and the EBB applies there, too. Usually if you qualify for food stamps, Medicaid, or some other programs you can qualify for it, similar to the Lifeline program. It's not the fastest, but it is something. The Comcast version is called Internet Essentials, for instance: https://internetessentials.com/

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

blk posted:

Google Voice has started expiring numbers after six months of inactivity (incoming texts don't count). I have a number there saved for my kid (he's not ready for a phone yet), but I'm poo poo at remembering to use it. Any recommendations for other places to park it for free or cheap? I'd need to be able to transfer back out easily. Alternatively, if there is an insanely cheap data plan (so he can stream audiobooks on long drives), I'd be interested in that, too. Thanks!

I get emails from Google when an unused Google Voice number is in danger of expiring. Maybe just link that Google account with another email so you get alerts? I maintain a separate Voice number in case I need it for work but never actually use it, and I get emails sent to my work email account that alert me when it is in danger of shutting off.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I'm finally elegiable for an upgrade, which is good timing because my current phone is grinding to a halt. I've been looking at phones in my budget, and it essentially comes down to the Motorola One 5G Ace and the Samsung Galaxy A32 5G.

They are exactly the same price from my provider, and I like the specs of the motorola a bit more (nicer screen, better selfie camera, better bluetooth) but seems to be one version of android behind (10 vs 11 on the samsung).

Does anyone have opinions on the two? Does one have glaring flaws in it that I'll regret?

I have a Motorola One 5G Ace and am considering taking a run at Motorola to demand a refund because of the lack of support. It's a great phone, is nice hardware, but has been out since January 2021 and is still stuck on Android 10 with no end in sight. They have been saying for months it will get the Android 11 update "as soon as possible," and for the last couple months are also saying it will get Android 12, but provide no timelines and only vague reasons why the update is so delayed. Security updates have often lagged, and are only every two months. They only guaranteed two years of support, so the phone could be completely abandoned on February 1st, 2023.

If you want to hang onto the phone for a while, and are okay with the Samsung bloatware, it would be a better choice at this point.

If Motorola pulls their head out and actually supports the Ace then it would be a different answer, but I hesitate to think that is very likely.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Thanks for the info.

That its running an older android isn't a huge dealbreaker (i'm pretty sure my current phone is on 9), but buying a phone with at most a year of support left in it is rough. I keep my phones until they physically break or the number of apps it cant run from the play store gets annoying.

I do thoroughly hate the samsung bloatware, but I suppose that could be tolerated if it means the phone will survive the 2+ years I plan on keeping it.

Edit: I just noticed the samsung has half the internal storage. Which is weird, the specs comparison website said they were both 128gb. I'm sure 64gb is fine, but the number of inferior specs is really adding up to favour the motorola.

Yeah, I actually love my Ace, and if updates weren't an issue I would heartily recommend it. Motorola is close to stock Android with just a few nifty additions, like gestures to open the camera or turn on the flashlight, which I appreciate. For whatever reason Motorola is just terrible about updates in general, and have been particularly bad specifically with the One 5G Ace. It's maddening to feel like I have to warn people about a phone I would be an evangelist for if it was actually being supported.

https://www.wired.com/story/motorola-software-updates-rant/

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

Yeah neither of these happened for me. Net10 blows rear end.

If anyone has them as a provider, bail out, but prepare to lose your number. What a horrible provider.

Thankfully I only use my phone for calls, texts, and pics, so losing my number and provider didn't hurt me too much.

That's hosed up. My phone number has been ported from Verizon to Cricket to Boost to AT&T and now back to Verizon, and while I occasionally had a headache or hassle I always got my number ported in the end.

AlexDeGruven posted:

Ugh. Remember when the original Galaxy S line had individual models for different carriers, including physical differences like body shape and whether or not it had FFC?

Can we forget about those days forever?

There are still Verizon-specific models, usually a variant to include their mmWave 5G. A few phones have a standard version and a "UW" version which is Verizon-specific. Although if they are unlocked I would assume they would work on the other two carriers, too. I think even the Verizon Google Pixel 6 and 6 Pro are "UW" versions, although there is little to make that obvious aside from being $100 more expensive than a regular unlocked Pixel.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Duckman2008 posted:

This is correct, but as I tell all my customers, they are obligated to release your number, but they are not obligated to make it an easy process.

ATT recently added where you need a port out pin to switch away. This is actually good, it prevents your number getting stolen where people can hack into your bank, etc.

Except ATT has it all hosed up. I swear, every ATT customer that I interact with, I get a follow up from them saying it was hell getting them to release the number. No idea whether it is due to ATT purposefully denying them, ATT being incompetent , or (most likely) both. But man it’s super annoying.

When I ported my number from Boost to ATT last year I had to get my account number by calling Boost, and then it took about a week of getting bounced around to different ATT customer service departments to finally get them to port my number in. I heard some amazing accents from the reps - I swear some of them sounded Eastern European. Many of them clearly had no idea how US geography and addresses work. When I ported from ATT to Verizon a couple months after that I remember the process going much smoother, fwiw.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Country/Provider: US/Verizon
Current contract status: A family plan?
Budget (plan): $70 max
Features I know I want: Just data and good coverage, nothing fancy

Ok I'm 34 and it's time to get off mommy and daddy's family plan. I barely use my phone off WiFi but have been using data more frequently recently. I'm still clocking in under 2 GB used a month but the last couple months I've hit around 1.5 GB.

I'd prefer to stay on Verizon's network since they have better coverage in my area, but cost is definitely going to be the biggest factor in my decision. I've looked at Visible and that seems like my bag? But honestly looking over plans I don't really know what I'm reading. e.g. What's the functional difference between a Verizon regular Plan and a Prepaid Plan? Seems like Prepaid would be the way to go for me but I feel like there's a catch I'm missing.

I have a Pixel 3a XL that is (supposedly) unlocked that I don't want to pitch because it's still great.

I have my main phone on a Verizon prepaid plan with unlimited talk and text and 5GB of data per month, which is overkill since my data usage sounds like yours or even lighter. The plan listed at $40, but with autopay it went to $35. Then after three months I got a loyalty bonus and it went to $30. In another month or two and it will get another loyalty bonus and drop to $25. I pay like $1.25 in taxes/fees for that line.

I think the online customer service for Verizon prepaid is a little more basic than postpaid, but there is less bloat and data harvesting. Verizon also gates their faster "UW" 5G service behind more expensive plans, but they have no 5G service at all in my area so that is moot. Financing a phone is really a postpaid thing, but since I like to buy unlocked phones that is also kind of moot to me. Whether you get access to certain bells and whistles like wifi calling seems to depend more on your specific phone than anything else.

For reference, I have my secondary phone on a Tracfone plan that uses the Verizon network, and on that one I pay $20 a month for unlimited ta;l/text and 1GB of data. That plan rolls over the data every month, and I really don't use that phone, so am building up a bank of unused data just in case. Their online customer service is even more rudimentary, but has worked fine for me. I think the taxes/fees is the same as the Verizon account.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Javid posted:

If everything goes fine and you never need more than basic script-following from support, yes. In reality, no

This matches up with the impression I have gotten from spending time in the support forums for the phones I own. The most consistent complaints about iffy service and unhelpful customer support are from people with Google Fi.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I feel like I should post a general recommendation to avoid Motorola phones.

I bought two of them last year, a Motorola One 5G Ace and a G Play (2021). Clownshow is too kind a word to describe Motorola's software update regime. I actually bought a Pixel 6 this year so I could demote my One 5G Ace to a basically unused backup phone because the software update situation is so incredibly bad. The hardware is good, and if they did the bare minimum in providing Android and security updates I would totally be a shill for them. But as it stands I feel like I should warn people to avoid Motorola unless you don't care if you get an Android version update or if your security updates fall behind and generate warnings every month or two.

As a point of reference, the Motorola One 5G Ace was released in January 2021 with Android 10. Android 10 was released in 2019. They promised 2 years of Android updates, although I think they might have promised 3 years of security updates. As of this writing the One 5G Ace in the US is still on Android 10, and for over a year the Motorola reps have said they are working the Android 11 release but having problems. They're also promising it will get Android 12 at this point. But nothing changes. At least 2 or 3 times in the last year the security update on the phone was so old it generated a warning, and it has never been the security update for the current month. Software support is so bad it's absurd, like some kind of ill-natured prank.

My G Play (2021) got updated to Android 11 last fall, but falls behind on security updates all the time, too.

Unless you are looking for a short-term phone, or don't care about updates and security patches, I strongly suggest avoiding Motorola.

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Mar 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

K8.0 posted:

Aside from having a reasonably powerful processor the Pixel 6 is a complete piece of poo poo, so you made the right decision. The camera is far from impressive, it's mostly just a bunch of filters that there doesn't seem to be a way to disable. No phone is going to substitute for a DSLR, but the P6 seems especially egregious to me because the pictures it takes are processed to be so far from reality.

e - also it has to be the worst smartphone camera ever at focusing. I've taken probably 100+ squared up shots of pieces of paper since I got it and MAYBE 10% of them are properly focused. It's impressively bad.

My experience with the Pixel 6 is the complete opposite, as well as all the major reviews on the subject. It seems like you might have got a particularly faulty phone or something.