Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

This is my third car, I just bought it Wednesday. First car that I paid for entirely on my own. Super excited/proud/in love!

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Decided to take a little detour after visiting my parents yesterday, and I really liked this photo. Hope to throw these on it within my next 2 paychecks.

Banged my shin up real hard on some stone retaining wall as I was climbing to take this picture :argh:

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Apr 8, 2013

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

At first I thought you had a massive scratch down the center of the hood, then I realized it was a telephone wire in the reflection....

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

God that is such a beautiful car. I'm going to be a little sad getting into my Z after drooling over this haha.

Some day I'll own one. Some day.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Comrade Flynn posted:

Finally on it's way to me!

So when are you making your cross-country tour so all of us plebeians can have a ride? I'll have to request this day off from work :swoon:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

jammyozzy posted:

You'll be the only person wishing for a red at every set of lights. :getin:

Careful what you wish for... You'll hit every red light but someone in a Geo Metro will be in front of you!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Not mine, but while I was in New York on Sunday I saw this and thought the matte grey looked excellent on the car

I personally really like the looks of modern Challengers. I know a lot of people don't, though.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'll definitely agree to that, I was mostly posting due to the paint job / probably just dipped it.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

The alternatives to winter tires in North Dakota are either don't drive it in winter (i.e. half the year)

Just curious, as someone who DD's a 350Z in New England, is it possible to just rent a garage some where I can leave my car from Nov - March or something? But even so, I wouldn't want to let my car just sit there for 5 months without ever running. I don't have a garage, nor do any friends or family.

I'd love to buy a dirt cheap piece of poo poo for Mon - Fri and only drive the Z on weekends.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Larrymer posted:

Get a storage unit for that.

Well right, but again my concern would be letting my car just sit for months without being driven.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

:negative: I want to be in it.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

WindowsBreaker posted:

I have this

and this

and I helped build and drive this

I think I have a problem.

I don't see a problem :confused:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Is there a reason we don't get them here, anyways?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

BigHouseOfBooty posted:

Here is video showing the whole process. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6OQZVVl37A
Makes me :tinfoil: about owning nice wheels. It even happens to stock honda civic si's.

No audio here at work, but it looks like they're making it seem like only a Caddy can have it's window broken, throw it in neutral, and push it down the road :confused:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

That thing looks great, I've always wanted one of those just to see how they are.

My old car is mid detail, this is one of many in-progress teaser shots.

God I love this. Something about the front, it's so simple but defined.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Comrade Flynn posted:

In 2012 it's all kosher. If you do it more than 4 times (I think) within a 5 minute time period it will put the car into limp mode until everything cools off.

Nissan learned their lesson, I've heard of them replacing trannies on cars with upgraded turbos pushing 750+hp now.

Oh really? I thought it was still a "Doing it more than n times voids the warranty" policy. Good to know I suppose, in case I ever win the lottery.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Dizman posted:

Hood is cracked straight through, fender well is cracked straight through, bumper is cracked, fender is cracked, headlight cover is cracked in half, headlight assembly is busted. Body shop estimated $7.5k in damage. Luckily the guy left part of his bumper stuck in the headlight, and there was a pop clip with the Ford logo stamped on it. Only one person drove a Ford to the party. Called the cops, told them who I believed it to be and they matched the part to his car and he was arrested! Yay!

It's estimated to be done while I'll be in Germany. I'm also getting a nice chunk of change from his insurance for diminished value. Keep your eyes open for a new thread where I supercharge the car and ruin another car with too much power.

gently caress, good for you that you were able to catch the guy! My roommate just dinged up my 350Z (not nearly as bad) and I think I'm going to get it appraised soon... No idea when I can get to a body shop though.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

kastein posted:

I literally didn't give a single gently caress about cars in high school. And then I barely cared about them in college.

Now I have four, four spare/parts engines, more piles of parts than I care to think about, and two don't even run right now, what the hell happened?

Sounds like me :v:
I used to say, If it gets me from A to B, who cares. Then I started watching rally and bought my 350Z... Now I'm looking to get an E30 going as a project next year.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Did I hear a rock and stone E9X?

Posted in the BMW thread but I just got my car back from the wrap shop on Friday:

edit;

Scruffy the janitor posted:

About two years ago I bought my Hyundai Genesis Coupe and I really loved it. Unfortunately, some rear end in a top hat swerved into me while I was passing him on the highway and it was deemed a total loss.

Fortunately, my dad had a car that he basically can't get in and out of and therefore I got it for a steal.

2016, manual, 28K miles after a drive from Terre Haute, Indiana to Denton, Texas

How do you like the Z compared to the Genesis? I swear Hyundai gave it a 3.8L just to one-up Nissan. Or, I guess one-tenth-up Nissan :haw: I'd really like a Nismo 370Z as a second car, if I had the means to own two cars.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 23, 2023

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Thanks! I ordered the vinyl myself and in the piss poor indoor lighting I was like, "oh man this color doesn't look nearly as interesting as I thought" but the second I pulled into the lot to pick the car up I was immediately in love with it. Even on a dull cloudy day like today it's still a very nice shade of green IMO.

Now I just need to find a shop to tint the windows / not give me poo poo about New York's dumb rear end window tint laws 🙄

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The vinyl is Hexis' Sonoma Green Metallic Gloss - https://online.hexis.co.uk/product-...ed-Vehicle-Wrap

It's not listed as a "UK Only Metallic" but I couldn't find any distributors who had even heard of it in the US, so I ordered it from their UK site. Definitely pricey factoring the currency conversion, I think it was like $800 + $120 for shipping. On a positive note, shipping was really really fast. Like 3 or 4 days.

The first two shops I talked to both quoted me $5K for the job; then I happened upon a random comment on my local regional subreddit recommending another shop who quoted me $1800. They said it would've been around $2500 if they supplied the materials. I was so excited to hear their price; I had the regular 3 series bumper with a plate bracket on it and I had been debating buying an M-Sport bumper to replace it with, but for $5K and just getting new wheels/rubber, I couldn't justify another $1k+. But then I found this shop so I was like oh hell yea and went in on the bumper too.

I'd recommend watching a good number of "Wrap it in your own garage" videos because it definitely seems like a good amount of labor and technical skill when it comes to doing more complex surfaces around the bumpers and whatnot

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Apr 25, 2023

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

There are a few bubbles / crinkles here and there if you look closely, but I'm not sure if "perfection" can be expected with vinyl -- but for $1800, I'm not going to complain. Like at that price, I'll definitely go back in 3-5 years when I want to try out purple :haw:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

There were lots of Toyobarus in my local autocross chapter, always seemed fun as hell for sure

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

:hmmyes: Way more user friendly than the more popular kid-hauling formats if you think about it

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

A convertible in England seems like an optimistic decision

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Contrary to my flair I sold the Z like 8 years ago, but gently caress paying for a new avatar :v: As posted the other day I've got an AWD wagon now.

And hey I'll have you know I was only ever limited by ground clearance; winter tires made easy work of the snow.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

TheFonz posted:

loving LOL Nevermind.

I was in the middle of an intersection at night turning left, as the light turned red. Didn't see a young guy in a van trying to beat the light. He told me he sped up to make it, but I honestly didn't see him until I was a foot into his lane, so I failed to make sure it was clear.
Back to searching. Just gotta wait for the check. Thankfully I don't owe anything on it so that should be simple. And very appreciative the kids were asleep at home and not out cruising with me.

Holy poo poo that sucks. At least you're not in the hospital though.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

TheFonz posted:

I think the issue is I went from 485hp to 425hp. I needed to go up so I could dodge vans.

I'll always remember the argument a friend of mine once made -

Collisions happen because 2 people tried to occupy the same space at the same time; therefore the faster you go, the less time you spend in any 1 spot and are therefore less likely to be collided with

:thunk:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I see that sentiment shared online a lot, and I'm inclined to agree based on my own local observations.

Speeding up to catch a yellow is one thing, but I've seen people just going along, yellow turns red while they're more than a car length from the intersection and just gun it anyways.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

:hellyeah:

I'd love to one day own a Cayman/Boxster but I feel like by the time I get a house and build up savings for a Toy Car, anything worth picking up will be out of my budget

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Neptune Blue is the bluest blue :colbert:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Octopus Magic posted:

After considering cars like a RX8, S2000, a C5 vette, and a FD RX7, I settled on this Lotus Elise, because if I'm going to pay more than 20k on a car, I want something special, but not TVR imported to the USA level of special.

I hit the millenial dream. Home ownership + car ownership after ~8 years of NYC. :toot:

gently caress yea. Awesome color too.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i'm more of a Japanese coupe guy

:hmmyes:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I thought that said "swamp meet" and was expecting like a bunch of crazy off roaders or something

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I know this isn't the "post other people's ride" thread but I just saw this and it's too cool not to share:

On C&B :staredog:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

1) Because you aren't in denial about needing ground clearance
2) Uniqueness :shrug:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

oh poo poo

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The only car with Fursonality is the Mutt Cutts van

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'd suffer whatever unreliability to get my paws on one :v:

A 4.0 NA six cyl sounds extremely fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Ah, I thought all GTS had the 4.0.

But still, either way, what a great looking car that I'm sure is still amazing fun to drive.