Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Pistol Packin Poet posted:

I'm moving to Peoria, Arizona in a couple weeks and will be buying my first car before the end of September. I'm looking for a fun compact car to drive while commuting to work with good mileage. I was checking out the Mazda3 and felt in love with the specs.

I torn between the 2015 i SV model and a certified pre-owned 2012 touring model Mazda3. I was wondering if 4K is worth it with the newer model. I contacted some dealers around the area for the 2015 model and I can get the price down to around 18200. I was wondering if I should/could try to get the price lower than that.

I just went from a 2008 Mazda3 SGT to a 2014 SGT and yeah, the old one has nothing on the new one except for less lovely C pillar blind spots. That's it, really. The MazdaConnect system is still kind of glitchy but generally nice. The nav system is really good until you get a very large building or entire mountain blocking your car's view to the southern horizon and then hilarious things start to happen on the screen as you phase warp through entire rock walls or navigate one way streets the wrong way at 45 degree angles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Kraftwerk posted:

I get a full litre per 100km shaved off my fuel economy reading if I use the ethanol free 91 octane gas Shell sells in my area. I'm definitely noticing a smoother engine note. It was shaky and weird on 87.

I was pretty disappointed in the fuel economy I was seeing in mine using 87. On the last tank I filled up on 91 octane and it idles much more smoothly and fuel economy is greatly improved too. Like improved to the point where the extra mileage probably pays for the increased gas cost.

Did they improve this in the 2015s or is there just no helping it with Skyactiv?

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

B!G_$W@NG@ posted:

Have any of you switched off the stock wheels on the last gen 3 (I guess they're 17s)? I was considering switching to some old steelies off an '05 or so corolla (if the bolt pattern even matches) to see if I could get better wear and possibly less noise.

I'm doing almost exclusively highway driving and will keep all-season tires on them, but I was curious if anyone had tried it and noticed much difference.

Looks like the Corolla uses 5x100 while the Mazda is 5x114.

You might be able to find some 15 inch steel rims from a lower trim level 1st or 2nd generation Mazda 3 or 5 for a decent price?

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

B!G_$W@NG@ posted:

Stock - I didn't realize they were rated so poorly, but oh well. Since changing wheels may be more trouble than it's worth, which of the replacement brands have you guys found to be best? I think the dunlops were rated decently on TireRack but I'm clueless on the other brands/etc I've found.

You had mentioned 17 inch stock rims which means you're probably using 205/50R17? Just anecdotally I had a 2008 3 with that size, granted that makes it a first generation versus second but I don't think the two were that different besides the skin and engine? The car came with Goodyear Eagle RSAs that were garbage in every sense and barely lasted 30k. I stumbled across a good deal on a set of Goodyear Tripletreads which were okay, nice and relatively quiet and stuck to wet pavement well but started to wear really weird after around 40k miles (they're an 80k tire). A set of Goodyear Eagle Sport AS replaced those, outstanding handling but noisy as gently caress. The Tripletreads also do well on packed snow and ice in very cold conditions, but all three tire models will try to kill you in slush and wet snow.

All things considered I probably should've given the Michelin Pilot AS a shot after the Tripletreads.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

B!G_$W@NG@ posted:

It's entirely possible that my memory is serving me particularly poorly, but from past experience, I get the notion that you should at least get 50k out of a set of decent tires (and I realize that orig equip tires don't always qualify), and plenty of these we're discussing have a 70k warranty (for whatever that's worth). I realize I'm probably the village idiot with most things here, so maybe my numbers are unrealistic.

What gets me the most is the 90+ dB of road noise (and my memory from the first year of ownership may also be failing me here) for hours on end when I drive on highways - I haven't noticed any real degradation in handling with the tires but maybe I just need to cave and do it. The only thing it can really be now is the wear bars.

Edit: I hope I don't come off as ungrateful on any of this, I do appreciate any and all input/discussion.

It might be starting to change but 5-7 or more years ago at 205/50VR17 most tire manufacturers were reluctant to offer any sort of tread warranty. I would assume this is because of the lowish profile and high speed rating suggests the driver would tend toward aggressive habits that would negatively impact a tire and potentially put them on the hook for warranty. Frankly I'd be happy with anything rated for 50k at that size and rating, I think Goodyear was overplaying their hand with Tripletreads at V and 80.

Also Mazda3s are just noisy cars for highway travel in general, unfortunately. Those Goodyear Eagle AS tires were pretty drat noisy new at 11/32 let alone what they'd sound like at 4 or 3/32.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Kraftwerk posted:

I have spent way too much time at the dealer. Do other cars have such buggy and faulty infotainment systems?

If it makes you feel better according to Consumer Reports a lot of the other systems out there are buggy messes too. Not that that should excuse Mazda from flubbing theirs, though.

Mine has only had two strange glitches that went away on the next startup: Once my rearview camera got stuck on for my whole drive which was kind of neat. Another time the system randomly decided I no longer had navigation and told me to go to the dealership to buy it.

Then again today on the commute home the iELOOP system said it's busted at about 6600 miles. Dealership time!

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Rhyno posted:

I need to drive another one. I really don't want to have a car payment if I sell the Miata but they just look so nice.

Don't forget the third generation 3 hatchback is there for you if you want the best of both worlds :getin: If not that I guess there's about to be a CX-3 which will be based on the Mazda2?

Anecdotally the Seattle area is absolutely rife with CX-5s. Not sure if that's good praise or not because it's also rife with Corollas.

As for my 3 the dealership couldn't find anything wrong with the iELOOP but they tossed a bunch of software (firmware?) updates at it. They updated Mazda Connect from version 28 to 30 but I thought the newest version as of a few months ago was 33? Either way I've only had an occasional temporary glitch with it and online research suggests my cellphone Bluetooth woes are the fault of my phone (Lumia 928) rather than the car.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I've seen a CX-3 on the road and I just don't get it.

In North America? Did it look as dumb as it sounds on paper?

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Yeah -- I assume it's because I live and work near their North America headquarters.

I don't think it was ugly, but I just didn't get the point of another size SUV that fits between a 3 hatch and the CX-5. But apparently the existing cars in that segment are selling well and competitors are bringing more to market, so Mazda wants in.

Just seems weird since it's a segment the 3 hatch can satisfy unless this is all about AWD boners... Which it is, isn't it?

Seen any rumored AWD Speed3 prototypes running around?

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Aexo posted:

Earlier this evening I hit a small pot hole city driving in my '13 MS3 and my BSM light flashed till I hit another one. Pressing the button while it was flashing didn't do anything. Previously I've had all my electronics momentarily (less than a second) go out freeway driving but the dealership didn't find anything. Am I just cursed?

Throwing a dead possum out there but: Was it wet out when it happened? Like maybe it kicked some poo poo up that got onto one of or both of the sensors?

Can't say anything about "all electronics momentarily failing" other than either god hates you or you're plugging some weird thing into the car that isn't compliant with some basic electrical standard?

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

dissss posted:

And it turns out I'd left a map light on like the idiot I am.

Lead acid batteries do a have a shelf life of sorts as the plates within them can start to develop sulfate crystals even if the car sits in a garage for most of it's life. You can never be sure what little or much it'll take to push an older battery over the edge. If your 1st gen MS3 had the OEM battery then it's time.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

MetaJew posted:

It's a factory option as far as i know, and the PO is the one to blame if I'm wrong.

Yes, it was a factory/dealership option and we should all feel bad about it.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

grahm posted:

I'm thinking about buying an '08 3 Hatchback (grand touring) with 93K miles. I've read a few pages of this thread but not all of them. Anything I should be looking out for? I'm going to check it out tomorrow. The Autocheck on the car is good, and the car is stock and looks clean. I'm sorta bummed it's an automatic, but I think I can deal.

Reliability reports on the internet seem somewhat varied, but I also know people usually only write when something goes wrong. Any thoughts? It's either this or an Acura TSX.

I had an '08 sedan grand touring that I owned from new to about 85k. During that time the only unusual things I recall are a power steering line recall, having to replace the serpentine belt and tensioner twice, and five transmission flushes based on the fluid looking burned which seemed a bit excessive at about 18-20k between changes. I don't recall what the maintenance schedule was so maybe that was normal? Fuel efficiency isn't that great either, especially compared to the newer Skyactiv engines. Then again I was doing a 22 mile round trip commute five days a week in heavy traffic so it was really the worst case scenario for the poor thing.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Is that milage on the 2.0 or 2.5? Most I've gotten out of the 2.5 is 31-ish

I have a 2014 2.5 and recently did a trip from Seattle to south-central Minnesota recently, about 1700 miles. The car believes it got about 34 MPG at was probably an overall average speed of 78 MPH (on premo gas, lol). Seattle to Portland clocked at 39 MPG but rarely did speed go beyond 70 for that one (and not so many mountain passes).

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Sep 7, 2015

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

TraderStav posted:

N

Nice, thanks for the information! If the real difference between the 15 and 16 GT is just power folding mirrors I'm going to target the 15 model and save some dough and maybe open up some availability. I haven't gotten out to see the rides yet, but there is very little in my area (SE Mich). From photos I think I'm going to want to get the Blue Reflex with the Almond/black leather in manual. The only option I'd consider would be the appearance package but haven't found any pics to decide on that.

edit: Also, is the only different between the i and s GT the engine or are there others?

While I can't speak for the 2.0 engine, and maybe later computer updates improved it, the 2.5 will run with regular 87 gas but it won't be very happy with it. Mine would idle funny and get somewhat diminished fuel efficiency.

Also between the i and s the tires sizes are quite a bit different. You'll have a decidedly crunchier ride on the s trims with those 18 inchers but it'll handle with the unyielding determination of a cheating German engineer. If the roads in your area are cratered disasters it might be something to consider.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Martytoof posted:

I can only imagine how awesome an MS3 must feel.

Imagine what it'll feel like in a 3rd generation chassis with AWD and some sort of mutant derivative Skyactiv engine producing unholy amounts of power.

The God Hatch is coming. Prepare.

Maybe. Mazda is probably gonna pull the "Next year, for sure!" bit like they do with diesels?

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Kraftwerk posted:

I have the new 2014 model Mazda 3 and ever since my last service I've been noticing a tapping or popping noise coming from the passenger side of the dashboard. I have been unable to diagnose what the cause might be. It isn't my glove box or anything in it. But it really pisses me off. Typically I hear it the most on bumpy road surfaces. It sounds like plastic on plastic contact like something is loose.

Did the service involve checking out the cabin air filter? Maybe they mucked with it and didn't put things back together properly? It basically sits behind the glove box so that'd by my guess.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Aexo posted:

I noticed the other day that there's a droning noise when driving 75-ish mph. It's like a "woooom" noise that comes/goes every second. It wasn't the road, because I was driving for over an hour and it was pretty constant when I had cruise control on. I want to say I heard/felt some vibrations at lower speeds driving around the city, but I can't re-create it now. I hit a pothole pretty hard the week prior, so I'm wondering if that's the cause. '13MS3

Guessing wheel bearing or damaged tire. Have a shop take a look, especially at the wheel that ate the pothole impact.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

The automatic in the newer Mazdas is pretty great.

Yeah they're pretty nifty. And if you get a high trim level you get paddle shifters for extra wackiness when getting on the freeway.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Yea I have a 3s, but I never use the paddles. Just throw it in Sport mode. It's fun!

Fellow 3s here. :hfive: Sport mode is fun but I find it waits way too long to shift, I assume it was designed that way waiting for the driver to do something. That's where the paddles are sort of handy if you're trying to get to 60 asap on a lovely ramp that's too short.

Vulcan posted:

A/C stopped blowing cold on our 3, the fuses look good and I dont think refrigerant has leaked out (do I need to buy a gauge to know for sure? Car is only 2 years old). What else should I check?

Turn on the on the front window defroster as a way to ensure you don't have a bad A/C button, running the defroster also uses the A/C compressor. Otherwise once on pop the hood and see if the compressor is getting run by the belt?

Also at two years just make the dealership figure it out.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

silence_kit posted:

I'm noticing a slight tapping noise in the interior of my 2016 MAZDA3 i Sport either in the driver's side door, A pillar, or dash. It is only noticeable when I go over a bump on the highway when it isn't very hot out (< 70 Fahrenheit). Does anybody else in this thread have this car and has noticed this problem?

Stupid idea that was borne from my own experience: Take the sunglasses out of the ceiling holder. Up until that point it was driving me up a loving wall. Early manufacturing runs also have a bulletin out on cowl rattle (sounds like it's coming from the A pillars) which shouldn't apply to you. I've also noticed having a drink in a plastic cup in the cupholder can make a shitload of noise and just holding it up dampens everything. Seriously it's like that scene from Contact when the seat breaks off the floor of the alien pod! Check all your cupholders and glove box for any weird crap that might be vibrating.

I know this isn't the Miata thread but earlier today I saw a guy in a current gen Miata, crystal pearl white mica with LED daylights, top down, afternoon sun hitting it, and it was beautiful and for a brief moment I wished I had that. The 3rd gen Mazda3 hatchback only has about eight more cubic square feet of functional storage than a Miata because of that sloped back. Well, at least I have the 2.5L so whatever. But he's having more fun than me and that's not fair :(

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

B!G_$W@NG@ posted:

Did they redesign all of the SUVs or just the CX-9? That's what they've been advertising. I'm a ways off from a new vehicle but when I get there it'll either be a 7 or 9. CX5 doesn't even have as much room as my 3 hatch.

The new CX-9 is sexy as all hell but Mazda really needs to plant that SkyActiv 2.5G Turbo engine into a 3 body.

Does a CX5 have less cargo space than a Mazda3 on paper? I can see how the CX5 might have a two inches less of depth but it's gotta have more height and a shaved hair or three of more width?

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

A few more details about Skyactiv-X and the refreshed 3 platform that it'll go in for 2019:

http://jalopnik.com/mazda-s-holy-grail-of-gasoline-engines-is-completely-1801820285

I thought Mazda had made a pact with a warlock or something but it turns out this is what they're doing:

quote:

What Mazda has done to solve these problems is devise a system called Spark Controlled Compression Ignition, SPCCI, a strategy in which a spark plug creates a “fire ball,” which acts to compress the homogeneous mixture of air/inert EGR gases and fuel to incite compression ignition.

The spark plug itself isn’t able to create this fireball with a lean mixture. So what Mazda has done is positioned a fuel injector close to the plug. That high-pressure injector initially shoots small amounts of fuel into the cylinder during the intake stroke.

That fuel mixes with a cyclone of air from the intake (which is fed from a supercharger and cooled EGR—both of which can be precisely controlled) to create a homogeneous lean mixture around the periphery.

During the compression stroke, a certain amount of fuel is injected into the “eye” of the lean vortex (an amount based on engine load), and spark is precisely timed to light the rich fireball, which then ignites the lean mixture around it—and voila! you have compression ignition. (Note that this late injection of fuel during the compression stroke is Mazda’s way of preventing preignition; to accomplish this requires a high-pressure injection system.)

Same guy got to drive around some 3's with the Skyactiv-X version of the 2.0L with auto and manual. Sounds like there's a few kinks to work out but during the 45 minute test drives over 90% of the drive time was spent with the engines operating in SPCCI mode.

http://jalopnik.com/i-drove-mazda-s-holy-grail-of-gasoline-engines-and-it-w-1800874806

Seems promising?

tldr: Skyactiv-X is cool and good and Mazda is spending a lot of time thinking about your butt.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Nifty Skyactiv-X combustion animation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBlBrxT-Xy4

Mazda also showed off a concept at the Tokyo Auto Show that'll probably devolve into the next Mazda3 hatch:

The further they get from the smiling second generation the angrier the cars look.

They also showed off the "Vision Coupe" which has four doors. Why? gently caress you, that's why. Now watch it cut through pedestrians like a scythe through wheat!

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 27, 2017

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

More general Mazda news: The Mazda6 is getting the 2.5L turbo from the CX-9 in the near future. They're supposed to have one at the LA auto show.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Kudaros posted:

I found a 2016 grand touring with < 1000 miles that looks good, if suspicious (why so low?) that I'm going to test drive in a few days if its there.

Assuming there's nothing glaringly wrong with it I'd wager the buyer found the ride comfort lacking. The SGT trim level comes with 215/45R18 tires and it can be a crunchy and really loud ride if the roads in your area are lovely. If they're still putting Dunlop Sport 5000s on them in the factory that probably isn't helping matters either. It's a respectable tire but there are better and quieter options available.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

The new front end is amazing but the rear end seems like they ran out of ideas and let it congeal into an amorphous lump for the production guys to figure out. The current generation body sort of has "hips" sitting on top of the rear wheels that nicely square things off. I'd like the new concept hatch more if they squared the rear end a lot more and just gave up on the crazy rear window slope and went for something more vertical and practical like the first generation hatch.

That soul red color though. drat.

Supposedly the next 3 using the SkyactivX engine will also have structural body/frame enhancements to make it quieter but as already pointed out that promise has been made before.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

In the meantime Mazda is still playing around with the mid-size sedan market: The 2018 Mazda6 with the 2.5L turbo will start at $30k. Also available will be "Grand Touring Reserve" and "Mazda6 Signature" trims: The former comes in at $32.6k and the latter at 35.6k. I'm thinking the GTR is what most will want while the MZ6S will just add a lot of Lexus-esque shiny things that work better for half the price.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I want a Mazda 3. Is the 2019 overhaul significant enough to put up with Year 1 Goofs?

As stated by Charles we just don't know. I have a 3rd generation in the form of a late 2014 that was built in Japan. It has not had any goofs other than iELOOP freaking out once and the dealer just shrugging and updating firmware.

The 3 is likely to get a refresh in 2019 with the SkyactivX engine and platform. If the platform evolves in terms of ride comfort then the 3 will finally become the God platform because the Corolla is still a loving joke. Also presumably there will be a 2.5L pushing enough things... It isn't a Speed3 but let's have some fun with a turbo'ed 2.5: SkyactivX engine in our imagination.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

So... It's April 3rd. What was their big thing?

Google seems to suggest they "refreshed" the CX-3. The CX-3. The loving C loving X loving dash loving 3. :Autistic screaming intensifies:

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Previa_fun posted:

Unfortunately road noise is just part of Mazda3 ownership.

It is better to rule in driving dynamics hell than to serve in quiet riding heaven.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring - 205/50R17 89V (not sure, probably cheapest)

I had these once on a 2008 3 as the second set of tires and they did okay but started to wear really weird after, I don't quite recall, around 20k despite the dealer insisting the suspension was fine. Beyond that they did okay in wet and were surprisingly great on ice/extremely packed snow in low temp but they sucked the poo poo out of the Michelin man's rear end in a top hat in wet snow/slush. Would not buy again overall.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Took my 2014 3 to a new closer dealer for an oil change which went fine. On the inspection sheet though I noticed that brake pad measurements looked strange: The rear pads were more worn than the front - I think 6mm but I don't have the sheet in front of me. The car is at 32k miles. I'm normally used to rear pads on small cars lasting until the heat death of the universe, but in this case they're wearing evenly and faster than the fronts? Google searching seems to suggest I'm not the only one seeing this with the current generation 3 (and CX-5s apparently) but I haven't been able to find a definitive explanation as to why. A random Internet fellow had theorized that Mazda designed the rears to apply force first to help damp front end diving but... huh? Mine has that iELOOP thing with regenerative braking, is that doing it? This isn't necessarily a problem, it just seems really strange since I don't think I've ever had to replace rear brake pads on any car I've owned including a first gen Mazda3 that I ran to 85k miles.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Charles posted:

Does it give a % or just mm? Maybe the pads are really thin stock. I dunno. My 2006 is still on its original pads all around with 90,000 miles and are still really beefy. Haha

I can't for the life of me find the paper now but it was actual millimeter measurement. Pretty sure it said 6mm on the rears. It originally got my attention because they did that color coded green/yellow/red thing and the rears were yellow meaning they could've tried to sell it from a preventative maintenance perspective but it isn't required per spec. The service guy made no mention of it on pick up. I traded in my 2008 at 85k and it still had factory rear pads on it. Go fig.

As for the "Haha" have you tried replacing your cabin air filter yet? :smug:

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Charles posted:

I don't have one.

:confuoot: Well, there's probably a tray for it even if they didn't put one in there... We're talking about a '06 3 here?

Also found the paper: Front brake linings are 8mm, rears at 6mm.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Got the new continental AS’s on, driving on grooved pavement is...very interesting.

So... Beyond that how are they? Grooved pavement screws with everything.

Charles posted:

What's the best wheel for driving down unpaved roads? A steel wheel? I bent a RPF1 and don't want to do it again.

I dunno if steel rims are more "flexible" but they're an order of magnitude cheaper to replace. Visit the wrecking yard and get some old steels with the necessary Mazda pattern and offset and slap some cheaper 14-16" tires on there and let the sidewalls absorb some of the pain?

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

The turbo 2.5L is going to be an option for the CX-5 next year: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/mazda-cx-5-turbo-engine-2019

Getting closer.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Dogeh posted:

But not Mazda 3's
I checked
:smug:

Mind you, it would be fun to put a turbo in that engine as you already get 184bhp.

We won't ever get another factory Mazdaspeed3.

Mazda will probably introduce a "signature" trim level of the Mazda3 with the 2.5T starting at $45k and call it a day.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

dissss posted:

What were the issues with the current 3 early on?

The only one I can think of is the infotainment screen delaminations in the heat but I think it took them until the facelift to fix that problem anyway (so way more than a year)

That said I guess if we get new engines there is more to go wrong this time around.

These articles are a bit over a year old but talk about SkyactivX (the new HCCI* motor that the 3's will get for the next generation) and non-engine related changes:

https://jalopnik.com/i-drove-mazda-s-holy-grail-of-gasoline-engines-and-it-w-1800874806
https://jalopnik.com/mazda-s-holy-grail-of-gasoline-engines-is-completely-1801820285

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Anyone have a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS on their 3? I put off tires earlier but I can't really anymore. Firestone stores are running a sale starting Nov 15 that's dropping that tire down to $129 a pop (for 215/45R18) and cutting install/balance costs. I was quoted $616 for four out the door before tax. Seems like a stupid good deal that drops the competing Pilot Sport AS3+ and ExtremeContact DWS06 out of the running by price/performance (per reviews), both of those are quoting at just over $900.