Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

SynMoo posted:

If you're deploying for the better part of a year, I'd recommend storing it on jack stands, with a full tank of gas and a battery tender.

Covercraft model C40032RB is supposedly a good fit.

Battery Tender

You could also just have someone drive it once a week.

Even once every 2-3 weeks should be fine. Also note there's a huge difference between someone just starting it up and idling for a few minutes, and going for an actual drive. You'll want to drive for at least 15-20 minutes, to get it fully up to temperature and burn all the moisture out of the engine. Otherwise, don't bother, you're just going to drain the battery and wear your engine needlessly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I like my RE760's in stock size. Pretty much took them to the track after mounting them, they did really well.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Are they good for daily driving? These will be my primary wheels 8-9 months of the year.

I only put a few hundred on them before switching to my steelies and blizzaks for the winter, but they are just fine. No real difference noticed from the stock tires other than being cheaper.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

SynMoo posted:

I got a few thousand miles on mine before switching to the Altimax Arctics for the zero inches of snow we've gotten this year.

Tell me about it :-/. Easily could have left my summers on with this winter, and not had to suffer my Blizzak's not so great dry handling, especially when it gets above the mid 40's. The days we've had close to/above 60 have made me feel like I'm driving a Camry with how soft and mushy they get.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Sublime Process posted:

To those who care: Here is the before and after photos of my Speed's brush with a wooden mailbox. Sorry it took so long, but :effort:

The hood was repaired, shockingly. I figured due to the dents in the crease it would be scrapped but they were able to fix it and it looks straight as factory. New bumper, headlight and foglight; lus paint and labor totaled $3200 something.

http://imgur.com/a/1mXfg

Wow they did great work. Is that metro gray? I have to get some paintwork done soon from when I was keyed, wondering how well they were able to match/blend it. It's got so much going on in terms of color changing/metallic flake when the light hits it.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

MetaJew posted:

It's an '09 MS3 GT. You can tell from the wheels and fog lights.

And the non-ugly grill

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

MetaJew posted:

It's not an 08.5+ GT gen1. :)

Truth. Everything about the interior is better in a 08.5/09 GT. Worth it for the alcantara alone.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Man the 6 must really suck, I was chainging my oil yesterday and while under the car got a good look at the turbo, and thought, "gently caress that, if it ever comes out a shop is doing it". Looked completely miserable, stuffed up in there.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Sublime Process posted:

I pulled out in front of a truck that was going considerably faster than I thought, so I stepped on it a little bit. Checking my mirror to see if I was going to die, I saw what I assume to be smoke in the the guy's headlights.

I know turbos smoking is coming on our cars, but is it typical (and harmless) under brief heavy acceleration? This is the first time I've seen smoke, so I'm worried my turbo might be going out. :ohdear:

For info: 08.5 speed, cobb sri, inlet, cp-e hffp, cobb dp and ap stage 2+93.

They run pig rich at WOT, so it's pretty normal to see a puff of black smoke when standing on it like that. My 08.5 does it too, and I'm pretty much stock.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Sublime Process posted:

I use Pennzoil Platinum synthetic and have never had an issue with fuel dilution, for what it's worth. How many miles on your car?

Under Blackstone's suggestions, I'm running around a 5-6k OCI and haven't had any issues.

Ditto, love PP in my MS3, though I only go around 4k or so since I do a lot of city driving. Haven't done a UOA in a while, I'll probably do one next change to see how it's been holding up. 31K total now.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

2) How much clatter is normal on a cold(ish) start? I fired it up and could've sworn I heard a little for the first fraction of a second, but then again I rarely start it with the door open and I've had plenty of engines (see: that Miata) clatter for longer after startup since day one that have no problems. I just really don't want to end up being one of the folks changing out a timing chain... partly because gently caress doing that job, I am paying someone to fix that.

Sounds like it may be the VVT issue

http://www.rent-a-tech.org/ssp%2087.pdf

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

That's what I'm worried about, but it was only for the tiniest fraction of a second and I don't have any sign of it after that - at idle or at speed. Plus, I'm now nearly 40k past their extended warranty, so if I do end up with a chain / VVT issue, I'm paying for it out of pocket.

The warranty coverage for the specific repair is extended to 7 years (84 months) from the original warranty start date or 70,000 miles, whichever comes first.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm at 109k.

Ah sorry, read that as you being nearly past 40k.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Might be stupid or obvious, but I had similar noises coming from a front wheel when the lugs were loosening up on me.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

http://www.mazdamotorsports.com/wcsstore/B2BDirect/Motorsports/aboutmazdaspeed.htm

If you are looking for MAZDASPEED vehicles or MAZDASPEED Performance Accessories to enhance the performance of your street car, you can only purchase these through a "MAZDASPEED Certified" Mazda dealer.

MAZDASPEED dealers are a select group of dealerships offering vehicles, parts and accessories from our high-performance series. These dealers offer:

MAZDASPEED repair parts
MAZDASPEED accessories
Staff with specialized MAZDASPEED training
Specialized MAZDASPEED tools to repair and maintain your MAZDASPEED vehicle

:shrug:

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

New Ultragauge installed, put it over my mirror so I can leave it installed and not worry about people seeing it and breaking in. So far I am loving it compared to my old DashHawk (which stopped working)

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Yeah, tucked behind the headliner, then to the A-pillar, straight down to the OBD port. It's totally hidden other than at each end:

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

It's wedged in there, it is NOT moving. It pushes up on the headliner about an inch. I can adjust it, but it does not move unless I want it to.

Unfortunately the cable is part of the unit. I would have liked a quick disconnect of some kind a few inches back so i could remove it if I had to without un-routing the whole length of the wire. I may get brave and cut/splice in some kind of modular connector at some point.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Rhyno posted:

How much did that sucker run you?

Got it without the windshield mount, so $60 after the $9 rebate

http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ZC/

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Another cool feature I'm looking forward to is the various trip and short trip meters. You can get avg MPG, speed, time running, etc, and have it reset every drive (short trip) or when you manually reset it (trip). I have to leave my car for some body work soon and it will be nice to make sure my car wasn't driven any more than necessary.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

DreamOn13 posted:

No data collection capability? Like storing the data to export to excel or something? Don't imagine it does because most people aren't nerds who would use it.

Nope, that's one thing the DashHawk had over it.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Sublime Process posted:

In other news, I got new tires in - the RE970s off TireRack. Haven't had time to put 'em on yet though :negative:

I've got those, like em a lot so far.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/07/24/2014-mazda6-teased-in-high-resolution/

Looks awesome, so far. Can't wait to see the 3 version of it.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Don't just get snow tires for the 18 inchers, get a set of cheap 16 or 17 inch wheels with snow tires so you can switch them out yourself, the wheels and tires will cost what 18 inch snow tires cost alone.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Somewhat Heroic posted:

If you're in colder weather like me in salt lake, I'd suggest swapping the trans fluid to the MT90 redline synthetic. Made cold starts in the morning much easier on shifting.

Eh our winters can stay below freezing, and I've never had any issues with my stock fluid. I have also heard other fluids can make the LSD really noisy.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Just keeping this thread alive. Heading down to the blue ridge parkway and the dragon for 5 days, from PA, in my MS3. Can't wait!

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Thaaaaaaat was awesome.

Yes i'm going to buy some of my photos, waiting to see how the others from the other photographers came out first, once they go online.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

No issues with 16" steelies on my first gen MS3. No changes in brake size anyway. It is a pretty tight fit, but I've ran them for 4 winters without a problem.

Not the best picture but you can sort of see the caliper

opengl fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Oct 29, 2012

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Bovril Delight posted:

5 bolts for the RMM? If I recall it was only 2?

You have to remove the bracket that holds the mount to the back of the engine.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Could you actually get the V6 with a manual? That always seems like a rare combination.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

flacoman954 posted:

Dropped the Akebonos on ; Initial bite is not as good as stock, might still be bedding in , I suspect. Funny thing ,there was about 2-3 mm of pad left!

I need to do pads soon in my MS3, but keep hearing that about almost all aftermarket pads. I would hate to lose that initial bite, I love the stock brakes, but the OEM pads are way too expensive. Any recommendations?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

I have the HPS pads and love them - there's a tiny bit less bite than the OEM, but not enough to actually notice in practice (if you really want to hit the brakes, they're still just as much there) and there's a shitload less dust.

I guess I'll give em a whirl. Though I only need to do my rears right now, is it normal for them to wear out first? I have about 35K on my 08.5.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Turd Nelson posted:

This might be a really stupid question, but how do i check the transmission fluid on my 2008 Manual M3i? The manual shows where the dipstick is for auto transmissions, but not manuals :(

Manual gearboxes are more or less sealed. To check the fluid you'd have to remove the fill plug on the side of the transmission and stick your finger in.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

I really doubt the MS3 counts as PZEV, given the soot in the tailpipe.

When I got mine in 08, I remember the regular 3's were PZEV's, but the speeds weren't. This is in PA where we have CA emissions. Federal cars aren't IIRC.

e: my god the crap some people spout on other forums

PZEV means Partial Zero Emmissions Vehicle, the only cars that qualify for this are ones that run part time on electric only, thus producing emmission only part of the time.

opengl fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 31, 2012

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Laranzu posted:

Anyone else have the WORLDS LOUDEST MS6 SUSPENSION? When it gets cold it sounds like banging a 300lb lady on an old spring mattress whenever I go over a bump or turn the wheel.

What needs lubricated to fix this?

My MS3 has always been like this when it gets below freezing, even when it was pretty much new. It sounds normal above that so :effort:

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

MA-Horus posted:

Ok, I'm confused as hell, and maybe you guys can help.

I have a 2009(2008.5) Mazda3S, base model sport. 2.3l, 5sp auto, no bluetooth/gps or anything.

I'm nearly 100% sure I have 17" rims, and every site seems to agree that the 08/09 5-doors came with 205/50R17 sized rims.

Yet, my tires seem to be 16s. I'm picking up a set of Blizzaks on tuesday in the 17" size, and I hope to gently caress I didn't just spend 800 bucks on tires that won't fit.

The 2008.5 is considered a 2008, not a 2009. You should I'm 99% sure have 17" wheels now, but your tires won't lie.

Are you paying $800 just for tires? If so you are getting reamed. Order a second set of wheels with the snow tires already mounted from tirerack for less than that, and swap them out yourself each season.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

hunter x az posted:

haha, can't even imagine a MS3 with 16" wheels.

He's talking about a regular 3. And I have 16" steelies on my MS3

opengl fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 27, 2013

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Also for some reason has the ugly 17" snowflakes off a MZ3

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

SynMoo posted:

Definitely interference.

What oil are you guys running in your 'speeds? This will be the first change I don't take to the dealer.

Also, how were the rotors around 40k? I'm due for at least front pads, trying to decide if I should go rotors also. Haven't examined them much beyond a glance.

Pennzoil Platinum does really well in the DISI. I had to have my front rotors turned at 12k, but now at 36k they are still fine, though I have to do my pads soon. Did one track day on them in 2011.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

MetaJew posted:

I've been tempted by the J. Barone shift bushings, weight and short throw shifter. You might check that out.

I used his short shift adapter for a while (the one that installs at the linkage in the engine bay) I liked it a lot, shifts were a little more difficult but much shorter. Unfortunately, my (stock) shift lever broke in half while using it, right at the weak spot where the pin goes through for the reverse engagement mechanism. I don't 100% blame the adapter, but the extra strain on the shifter sure seemed suspect to me.

No I was not drag racing and pounding through the gears, just normal driving, and a particularly firm shift one day and it snapped.

opengl fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 2, 2013