Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Springfield Fatts posted:

Are we certain yet there's no speed planned for the next gen 3's? I'm very seriously considering purchasing one and wanted to see if waiting on a new model would be worth it or not.

From SiB's link, and pretty much the same sentiment from all the articles:

quote:

As for a potential Mazdaspeed3 successor, mum is still the word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

A good dog.
A good car.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

After years of having cars that would be at like 5k when going 75 (and all the engine noise there in), I actually kinda appreciate that the Mazda only is at like 2900 in 6th.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Faithiest posted:

Not to sound like a shill, but truecar.com is where it is at. Its free, but the 'cost' of using it is that the dealers that give you their price also get your info. I checked out half a dozen models when I first made an account just for fun and as a result half the dealers in the San Diego area where calling/emailing me the start of the next business day. Just use a fake email/phone#, and print out the price quotes to take to dealers.

The dealer I bought the car from had ~9 2013 MS3s on the lot so YRMV with your price, but shop around with the truecar info and you will have no problems.

I used Truecar too and was really happy with it. You could prolly get something a few hundred under the TrueCar price if you sat there and argued for hours, but walking in and knowing that the dealer was already locked into a price with all the options you want made the whole thing no pressure and easily hours quicker than the last car I bought.

It's also good for comparing across models in more 'real world' dollars than MSRP.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Bovril Delight posted:

Truecar really isn't that great of a deal. It doesn't take long to email dealers and get therm fighting over your business. I checked what I paid vs. the truecar price on my last car and I was about 2k under their "target price"

YMMV i guess, but i wasnt able to find anything more than $200 cheaper in my area.

nm posted:

Plus you need to read the fine print on Truecar. The price I got "promised" included incentives that excluded 0% APR and the difference between 0% and market was greater than the incentives.

Interesting, I got the 0% with the truecar price.

That said, truecar doesnt pay me and is backed by the dealers themselves so who knows. Like everything else in car buying, I'm sure its shady. gently caress that whole system forever.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Aexo posted:

Back again... I wanted to see if someone could explain the "interior lighting kit" option on the 2013MS3? The model I borrowed had it on the list of items included (as well as a $500 clearcoat - dealerships still do that?). Anyway. I noticed there was a blue LED light over the shifter, and on each side where the window/lock controls are. I didn't notice if it was in the footwell, but from what I'm reading online, the footwhells are what that kit refers to. I don't really care about the footwell, but having the light on the window/lock control and over the shifter was actually pretty nice. None of the stuff I'm reading on the Mazda site really seems to help demystify it for me.

The shifter/window switch lights are standard. The lighting kit is footwell illumination with a little dimmer switch in a knockout panel on the leftside of the steering wheel.

It's also different from the footwell 'welcome lighting' that some 3s have.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I've got an 11 (generally the same as a 10) and my brother has an 08 (generally the same as an 09), I personally find the interior of the 11 to be a big upgrade. The 11's 2.5 has a little more grunt out of the engine across the power band and its noticeable, but not hugely different. There's also tons of little differences and touches that make the 11 feel a lot more modern. As far as handling, they both seem broadly similar, with the 11 maybe a little heavier feeling but more neutral. The exterior is eye of the beholder obviously. I like the 11's looks in black or dark gray, with the sidemouldings giving it a cool look and the colors sorta demphasizing the grin.

In the end you've gotta decide if those little touches/improvements, a little less miles, and a little more power are worth 3k. I would spend for it, personally. If the 10' has a sunroof, that means its got the upgraded stereo too, so yeah. I would go with the 2010.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

CharlesM posted:

It's gonna get harder to back up now too with most cars (even the 2014 3 hatch) as the belt-line goes higher, but at least rear-view cameras are slowly becoming more common (although the legislated mandatory introduction in the U.S. is always being pushed back).

I goofed with a '14 hatch at the LA auto show today and you can not see a fuckin' thing out of that tiny rear window without the cameras. So what I'm sayin is get the cameras. Which is kinda open advice to any brand new car buyer. Them windows are gettin tiny.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

3, 6, and CX-5 all made the IIHS top safety+ list. Considering there's are only 22 cars on the list, that's pretty impressive for a smaller manufacturer like Mazda.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

CharlesM posted:

Continental ContiWhatever DWS
Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS is supposed to be a pretty good successor to the 960as.

Yeah, the Continental ExtremeContact DW is what most people seem to go for, and they are fairly cheap at $119 a tire on tire rack. And it supports US sportscar racing!

The other one I like is the Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500. It's slightly cheaper at $98 a tire. And it supports US open wheel racing!

Both are true summer tires, so if you live in someplace that gets routinely below freezing in the winter, make sure you have some winters.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I have to make my obligatory annoying car guy statement that if you live in a place cold enough to want all seasons, you're prolly better off running winters anyway. But it is a cost/hassle investment, I know.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/features/tire-test-all-season-vs-snow-vs-summer.html

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I'm 100% with you, I used to have a high opinion of Yoko but the OEM tires are just awful.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Whatever the "metal" finish is on the OEM gear shift knob on my 2006 3 has slowly flaked off in places, and I actually managed to cut my hand on it tonight. Now I'm looking to replace it. Does anyone have any suggestions for something that doesn't look ridiculous? I'd be happy to replace it with the OEM part but that actually seems challenging, so I'm exploring alternatives.

For what its worth, my brother has an 06 with the stick and I've got a 2011, and I really think the shiftknob is a big improvement. It looks like they changed it in 07 and kept em until 2013, so there should be a good amount of them out there.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Wokrider posted:

Sup goons, looking at buying a 2011 mazda3. anyone had a Grom audio usb interface installed?

Was driving a 2003 protege5, some old man ran a stop and totaled it. I miss my hot hatch:v:

rip protege ur with angels now ~~~~

I've got a 2011 but without the Grom. If you get one with the upgraded soundsystem, it comes with Bluetooth and all the controls work so you may not need/want the Grom.

The only problem is that the track data doesn't display on the dash display for most phones over Bluetooth, due to updates in the Bluetooth spec after the car was launched. It's a little annoying, but not really a big deal.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I'm pretty sure that unless you are running insanely grippy tires, the thing holding back stopping distance isn't gonna be the rear brake pads anyway.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Kraftwerk posted:

I noticed there is a fan running when I turn off my car (2014 Mazda 3). It turns off after like 2-3 minutes. Is it some kind of circuit or ECU bug that is causing this?

I also noticed other times there is a low humming noise coming from the car when it has been powered off. This noise seems to be emitted independently of the cooling fan.

Yeah, its supposed to do that. You probably havent heard it before because the engine hasn't gotten hot enough for it to kick on, but a fair amount of modern cars have electric fans that will continue to run after the ignition is off.

The other noise you are hearing is the injector cleaning cycle.

If its running for like 8 minutes or making a ton of noise, the fan controller might be messed up. But if it just runs for a minute or two, especially when its hot out or the AC has been on, thats normal.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 31, 2014

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

So the next MX-5 is apparently a new turbocharged design. Wonder if the new Speed3 might be around the bend with the same basic engine? I doubt we will see anything before MY16 though.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Rhyno posted:

People keep saying this, can you post a source where Mazda confirms it?

The turbo engine? It's pretty noticeable in the 'teaser' video Mazda put out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_iRcpJ1Z1U

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

So I'm moving about 1,200 miles and I need to carry a bike.

Woot has one of the strap/hanger style racks on sale, and Yakima says it will fit: http://www.woot.com/offers/quickback-3-bike-trunk-rack?ref=cnt_wp_0_8

Anybody know if I can safely save some bucks and use one of those without damaging my 3 Hatch? Or should I spend the extra $400 (ouch) and get a full roofbar system?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

nm posted:

Uhm, why would you do this for a one time thing, when you can UPS a bike for about $100?

It's a vintage, fragile bike worth a whole lot of money and I would prefer to keep it with me. Plus then I've got a bike carrier if I ever need one.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Your annual reminder to get your tires rotated OFTEN when you have a Mazda 3, and check the inside shoulders when you do it.

Got my tires rotated at a dealer just before a 1,600 mile road trip, and had a tire explode in the middle of bum-gently caress Washington. Dealer didn't say a peep when they rotated, but sure enough the entire inside shoulder was completely wrecked and blew out nearly all the way around the tire.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

3's are pretty notorious tire eaters because of the camber, unfortunately.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

A very rad car, but there's no way I can justify a $40k Focus to myself...

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

No official MSRP, just my guess. It's gonna be going against STIs and Golf R's, both MSRP in the mid-30s base but are $40k with options. I imagine the RS will be in the same boat.

Speaking of pricey hot hatches, has there been anything out of Mazda about a new Speed3? I haven't heard a peep since the new design launched.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

BraveUlysses posted:

Are there any bad or not so great years of Mazda 3 that should be avoided? I'd really like a new '15 model hatchback but I think I should stick to something under 10k, so roughly in the 2007-2010 range.

The older, pre-Skyactiv engines don't get great mileage. Thats probably the biggest knock against the pre-'12s.

There are some nebulous complaints about rust on first gens, but it may be horseshit. Also all years of 3 eat the inside shoulders of tires really fast, so be sure to check them.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

B!G_$W@NG@ posted:

Has anyone had problems with the hatch latch on their 3? Mine has issues from time to time and flat refused to work the other morning (I'm guessing because it was slightly cooler out but not sure).

Catching up to the thread, yeah my 2011 has had this 2 or 3 times. I've never been able to figure it out. I think it comes from the latch sensing pressure, like something pressing from the inside. Normally goes away if I shake it a little.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Larrymer posted:

Anything good or bad to say about the Mazda 2.5L in the 2011 Mazda 3? Going to look at one in a bit paired to the 6 speed manual.

I've got the 2.5 and 6 speed in my 2011 Mazda3. It's a great engine, but doesn't get great mileage. I tend to get like 23 combined with my mostly city driving.

The 6 speed is awesome. I had issues a few years ago where it didn't like to go into 2nd gear sometimes when it was hot out, but it went away. Also you won't use 5th gear very much.

I've had zero maintenance issues or any regrets with either. If I was buying my car over again today 5 years later, I would get the exact same combo.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The Conti's are consistently highly rated by both mags and people that have got em, from what ive seen. The all season ExtremeContact DWS 06, which tire rack has for $141.20 each, might be a good bet. I don't have any personal experience with em, though.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Are you actually at 72k km? Even that seems way early for rotors unless you are doing a lot of daily stomping. Get a second opinion on all of it, $127 fluid flushes are a good sign that they think you are a sucker they can push to do un-needed things.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Oh! Before I forget, whoever else out there that has a 2010-2013 3 and the dash bubbled up and jacked up your info screen(s), they have done a "recall" and you can go get it fixed at your local dealer for free.

I was going to but now I'm working in West Texas and it was 114 yesterday sooo, might be a waste of time.

This is old as hell, but I was in this group with my 2011 3 2.5l. Mine wasn't too bad, the screens were fine, but it slowly warped to the point where i could fit multiple fingers in the gap between the screens and the dash.

I was real lazy but finally got around to making an appointment and sure enough, replaced the whole drat thing for free. Pretty dang happy about it considering the car was out of warranty. It definitely seems to be a different material and slightly different design from what I can tell.

That dash, and regular battery/tire replacement are the only things I've done to this car in 55k miles. Def a happy customer.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Salt Fish posted:

- going through a carwash is annoying because of the auto wipers, auto-brakehold, collision detection and radar features - needs a carwash mode button
- camping at astronomy dark sites is hard because if you unlock or open a door all your cars light turn on including the headlights (I realize this is pretty specific)

I just picked up a 22 3 Turbo and fooled around with these.

For the car wash, you can press the iActivesense button on the left of the wheel and disable most of the bings and bongs, then turn it back on when you drive out.

For the lights on unlock, in the settings, look for leaving home lighting and turn it off. That will keep the headlights, parking lights, and license plate lights from coming on when unlocking. You can also turn the dome light off separately obvi.

Great car so far though! Coming from a 2011 3, feels like a goddamn spaceship. Which it should considering the price growth!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Some non-US markets have power folding and/or heated mirrors. On some years, the hookups are still there in the door, so you can actually order the mirrors online and install them yourself fairly easily.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

bolind posted:

I'm having a weird problem with my 2019 Mazda 6, my iPhone, Apple Carplay and Google Maps.

A couple of days ago, perhaps after an iOS or Google Maps app update, the multifunction button no longer works in the Google Maps app, when connected to the car.

It works fine in other apps, and using the touchscreen works fine too.

Anyone else experience this?

When you say multifunction button, which one do you mean? I can give it a try. Also lord the google maps interface on the phone has gotten bad. Controversial take: I think Apple Maps might be better these days. I generally use it or Waze when going long distance.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Tremors posted:

Picked up a color matched set of fob panels because why the hell not. Pretty happy with them.

Are those the ones from Mazda Germany?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

There are some truly wild Mazda accessories in there... actually gonna try the keyfob panels too, as well as some precut protective film for the piano black center console. Thanks for the link!