Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
With the reveal of who the Indonesian champ's coach is in 857 it's Miguel I'm thinking this might be a fight where Ippo is completely overwhelmed physically and has to win purely through tactics and utilizing the depths of his experience.

Now THAT would be a first. And I mean, as dumb as Ippo is, it's not like he's not a child of nature like this guy. or Goku.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I think the quality of this fight is going to hinge on how outlandish Mowoligli fights. If he's just really fast and really agile and crazy smart or whatever, then that's one thing (he hasn't fought a GOOD high speed guy since Saeki, if you could even call that good), but if he starts flipping around the ring like Spider-Man it'll be rather :rolleyes:

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
well I know you guys hate this fight and have kinda soured on the manga in general but I'm glad to report that Woli doesn't do anything ridiculous like jumping off the corner post or doing a backflip over Ippo's head--he just graps the rope to change directions in mid-jump.

...Of course this is enough to throw Ippo off his poo poo, because he can't see it happen due to his position during his swing...but I imagine it'll be pretty simple to explain to him, even if he doesn't come up with a counter-measure right away.

WELL I STILL LIKE IT :mad: And you can't tell me it's not an improvement over his last two matches.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Jimmy was a legit threat, but he still fought in a highly gimmicky fashion. It's like playing someone who uses the same move over and over again in a fighting game--they're not cheating or anything, but that doesn't make it any less cheesy or boring to watch. I stopped giving a poo poo once Ippo stopped using creative defenses like getting clotheslined instead of getting punched.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
nah there was a break this week. next week is color pages.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
877:Ippo gets out of the corner by catching Woli in mid air with a decent punch and then stumbling the rest of the way. Woli's in the corner again, and even though Ippo realizes that he's dangerous there, he also knows he probably won't be able to catch him anywhere else, so he's going after him with his eyes wide open this time.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Dickeye posted:

Seriously this is like arguing over "nakama" in the One Piece thread

Oooooh you dirty--I bet you would like TV-Nihon's translations too--ya rotten little--ooooooOOOoo so anyway funny story, when we started getting to work, we were originally going to collaborate with SnoopyCool because they had a bunch of stuff that was done (up to around the Take fight I think? You can see where their scanlations ended on Onemanga) that they just hadn't released yet. But when we got tired of waiting for them we got started....and then they released it all at once.

Actually, there's a fight that I enjoyed less than this one with Blanka--Take could've been a lot more charismatic than he was, considering he was supposed to be some wily old codger, the representative of the failed boxers of the lightweight class and in-ring representation for Kimura and Aoki. Instead he was just kind of pathetic.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
What amazes me about Takamura VS Bear is how it manages to both be relatively plausible (at least when compared to other fighting comics) while at the same time being deliciously over the top. In a way, it is the perfect microcosm of how the entire comic handles action.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
878 Raw is out. Ippo pays attention this time and sees Woli gently caress him up while in the corner, and is almost KOed but is saved by the bell. Everyone is like :wtc: especially Itagaki. Kamogawa tells Ippo that Woli is like a million times better than him, but then again, but that's never stopped Ippo from winning before, except that one time. His orders are to switch to compact punches to push Woli around instead of big punches to stop him from being able to move, and Ippo realizes his best chance is to aim for simultaneous punches, which lends credence to anyone who believes Ippo will be punch drunk by the time he retires.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
No no no, punching them at the same time they punch you

Like a counter, but slower

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Serious Frolicking posted:

been in a fight

Wait, doesn't getting beaten up by bullies in high school count as being in a fight?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
My early theory for this fight is coming true: Ippo is changing his strategy to "think smaller" i.e. worry less about doing actual damage and more about hitting Woli no matter what it takes. This is somehow going to translate into winning, possibly because Woli can't take hits at all, because he's probably not ever been hit before, even by his old man. I'm going to guess that his composure and focus to crumble once he's nailed.

If Ippo was Punch-Out! Woli would have bananas circling his head once he's finally hit.

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 11, 2010

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

trucutru posted:

Woli, do like 90% of all Ippo opponents and retire after this fight. Feet first, if possible.

I think only Sanada, Jimmy, and Take retired. Vorg quit but came back.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Vorg quit, came back, and hasn't won a single major fight since. He was the punching bag they used to hype just how much of a genius Woli is. It really is too bad, as he was probably the only foreign boxer who wasn't a giant terrible stereotype. Well, I guess Takamura's nameless heavyweight opponents weren't bad either but they barely counted as characters.

That's kind of like saying that every single fight that happens off-panel isn't a major fight. I mean, even Kobayashi became the Jr. Featherweight champion. I'm sure that, unless something happens like Mashiba ends up challenging him for the world title, Vorg won't be "starring" in any fights any time soon.

Also, I'd say Ozma wasn't a stereotype, although he didn't really have much of a personality outside of "Nice guy" and "cherishes his 'family'"

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Part of me wonders if this manga has just become a victim of it's own escalating degree of action abstraction, a ball that started rolling when Ippo blew Karasawa's guts apart with abody blow. The notion of "really talented newbie kid from the jungle runs circles around Ippo who only lands seemingly light hits that later turn out to be decent hits that slow him down for the kill" in and of itself isn't so bad--I think it's the fact that Woli was supposed to be so dominant and that Ippo's only gains were supposed to be so meager that makes it go into the realm of eye-rolling.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

KittenofDoom posted:

"Makanouchi pulls out his deadliest weapon!"

*draws a gun and shoots Woli in the face*

It's Japan, so it would have to be an airsoft gun, and then Ippo would just get punched some more

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Would Raoh and Shin have lived if Kenshiro's fists (...and fingertips) had the same curative power of Ippo's?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Soup's up
http://www.onemanga.com/Hajime_no_Ippo/893/

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I hope we get more anime some day

Because I bet this, unlike the Magician fight, would be a lot less annoying animated and condensed to a little under an hour

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Fabricated posted:

I'm not sure crushing a banana is exactly an effective display of anger.

it's actually pretty funny in-context

The stuff about Ippo's potential for long-term injuries isn't gone into with too much deth; I'm sure we'll see more about it later on, though, if only through a new training setup.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

An Outland Dish posted:

I expect this to come up in the Miyata fight. "Is that a banana in your pocket or are you just glad to see me?" "Actually, it's a plantain."

this post is actually foreshadowing for chapter 897

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Itagaki and Ippo are in the same weight class. They just aren't allowed to fight each other.

funny you should mention that

898 is basically More heavy set up for Ippo VS Itagaki, with more Itagaki laughing it off and going "THAT'LL NEVER HAPPEN LOL" It also seems like his goal for his match against Karasawa will be beating him faster than Ippo did. Which like, seems kinda impossible, but should be entertaining, and should also mean that it won't take a million chapters

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Geop posted:

He seems to be copying lots of folks at this point. He pulled out a Jolt earlier, and in this chapter, he tries a Hitman stance (only to get his bell rung in turn). Finally, he attempts a Dragon Fish Blow (a la Kimura vs Mashiba), but the contact ends up on Karasawa's forehead, which isn't the best place to aim for when punching. Some folks are saying that he broke his fist, but I seriously doubt that. If he broke his fist, you would've seen some X-ray shot, and he'd be bawling on the ground. He just hosed up his contact and tweaked his wrist pretty badly.

It's pretty hardcore that Karasawa literally intercepted Itagaki's fist with his skull, and came out of it better off. I may have to stop referring to him as "the guy that Ippo beat so badly he became incontinent"

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
We caught up!

903: http://www.confusticated.com/ignition-one/Hajime_no_Ippo/903/01/1100/1/
904: http://www.confusticated.com/ignition-one/Hajime_no_Ippo/904/01/1100/1/
905: http://www.confusticated.com/ignition-one/Hajime_no_Ippo/905/01/1100/1/

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I think Morikawa has a problem in general with Ippo's fights. They always seem wayyyy slower paced than any other ones, I guess because he's really pushing the whole POV thing since Ippo's the main character. But instead of making the reader feel engrossed, it just means things are SUPER DUPER SLOW.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
It's cuz he's still a wimp. He's come along, but considering the meager amount of improvement he's made in some 900 chapters, while constantly being surrounded by dudes who are alpha as gently caress, you could say he's preternaturally disposed to being weak. Hajime no Ippo is the ultimate tale of nurture conquering nature!

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
906 is up. I really hope that 30 seconds isn't enough for Itagaki to beat Karasawa, even if he has learned a lesson and has put his serious face on.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

DoubleDonut posted:

Also, how old is Takamura at this point? Thirty-five?

It's still 199X in Ippo time, which mean's it's still less than ten years since Ippo started boxing (since he started in 1990). Takamura probably started while Ippo and Miyata were in middle school, so add three years onto Ippo's career at least, with a maximum of another three. He dropped out of high school to box so...he's been at it maybe ten years? Which would make him twenty six, right?

Also, as ludicrous as Itagaki's speed is coming off in this fight, I don't really see it as him being pushed as particularly broken. Part of the problem is that we tend to get a POV from the fight from that of the fighters, so to Karasawa it might look like he's breaking the laws of physics, but it's not like he's actual left a ring of fire in the ring from his friction trail. Plus, more than anything else: this is Karasawa he's fighting. The guy that Ippo made into kibble. The guy whose function, from a narrative standpoint, was to basically show how badass Ippo is even without using his full arsenal. Is Itagaki clobbering him really that far fetched? Not to mention the fact that (spoilers for 910 and 911) by the end of the fight Itagaki is a wheezing, battered mess, while Ippo basically came out of it unscathed Broken? No, I'd say pretty far from it.

I'm also curious about where Itagaki will eventually jump ship to. It seemed likely that he would end up at the Toho Gym with Mashiba for a while there, but now that Sawamura is looking to become a trainer in Nagoya.

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Oct 23, 2010

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Vagrancy posted:

Mangastream has picked up Ippo and posted 918 (Count down to the inevitable group drama with Ignition-One).

Anyone know a good manga (that has furigana) with readily avialable raws that needs scanning? :qq:

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I've been waiting on pins and needles for 24 hours to see the reactions to this. Come on guys, don't disappoint me :munch:

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Well, I liked the new chapter

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

pnumoman posted:

So, let me get this straight. Currently, the best thing about this boxing manga is everything BUT the boxing.

...and I'm still reading it. Ah well, at least this chapter was funny.

This might be why Ippo's current state doesn't bug me as much as everyone else. I've always seen this as a "slice of life" series where the main character is a boxer rather than the traditional "I'm gonna be the very best!" shonen book. That's why certain parts that get kind of melodramatic about the boxing angle, like when Ippo's mom got sick, or when he was emo about the Miyata match being cancelled, strike me as infinitely worse than fighting a buncha gimmicky cartoon people.

If anything I'd like less boxing for a while, because Ippo is going to keep floundering until Kamogawa sets a proper agenda for him. He's probably going to fight Itagaki next though, and that should at least take another six months while Saeki fights him+other crap happens.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Shinjobi posted:

So...I dunno, man. I'd love nothing more than for George to drop it, but I'd rather put up with "waah waah Americans suck" than another gimmick fight.

Only Dankichi and Nekota have anything resembling out and out Anti-American feelings, so they're youre talking about a weirdly neurotic old man who won't let go of grudges and a hothead. Beyond that, it's almost comedic how Hawk/Eagle are depicted in a way to balance each other out, with one of them being the nightmare child of crazy mode Mike Tyson and Naseem Hamed, and the other being basically Steve Rogers.

I think Mori generallydoes a good job of depicting between actual real life nationalities, which is something you generally don't see at all in Japanese media.

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Nov 16, 2012

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Fabricated posted:

It's kind of annoying the translator ditched the group that was originally doing Ippo because they were much faster about getting releases out.

Editor's real life started catching up with him (in a brutal fashion, quite frankly) and MS is generally pretty speedy so... there you go! Collaboration.

This fight was probably the most entertaining fight in Ippo for a while to me. Please look forward to it :japan:

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

DoubleDonut posted:

He's an absurdly lazy black guy who can only think about sex and violence. Are you just not familiar with stereotypes or something

It is in fact bad when in a manga about loving boxing has exactly two black characters show up for over a decade and one is based around "surprisingly, not violent" and the other one is based around "lazy and violent," yes

It's not really clear what Hawk's racial background is, given that he seems to have straight blonde hair (and there's no indication he dyes it), is from New York City, based off an English boxer with parents from Yemen, drawn by a Japanese author, and his ring wear has a bunch of vaguely Native American? looking tassles all over it.

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 18, 2015

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
To show how deeply translating this comic for ten years has warped my brain, I dreamt that this storyline took the turn where Martinez ended up training Sendo. Basically his management decides that since there are no viable contenders left, they would foster an opponent for an aging Ricardo to battle in a trumped up squash match, but Ricardo is old and bored so he takes it pretty seriously and actually trains Sendo to the point he's able to be a credible world title contender.

I don't know where this line of speculation was meant to lead because apparently dream speculation is even less coherent than the waking kind, but I think I'd prefer it over Ricardo completely no-selling another opponent

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Ricardo's "true style" isn't a stance change or a secret second personality anything, it's just the character of his boxing when pushed is less about technical execution and more "tear some meat off."

Basically like Volg, but with less hand-wringing and emotional baggage. Or Gonzalez, with less macho rage.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

rest his guts posted:

At this point, from an outsider’s perspective, keeping up with Ippo, for many of you, seems like an act of contrition. Y’all are some Anime-Anchorites

If Ippo, the character, was all this manga had going for it, it 100% should've ended when he took the Japanese title

Thankfully the supporting cast are good enough to more than make up for his own dull nerdy rear end, along with the entire feeling of the series having more of a "slice of life and sometimes boxing manga" feel than "THE STORY OF ONE MAN'S EPIC RISE TO THE TOP OF THE WORLD" that allows it to chug along with litlte character moments and bits of comedy where a more pure competition/high character stakes-oriented series would've fizzled out. Hell, this little interlude where he's stopped boxing for health considerations is probably the best thing he's done character-wise since fighting Sawamura. I know injury/health concerns are common enough in sports manga, but the sorta almost comic strip-like persistence and usually high casual tone of Ippo really gives it a different vibe to, for instance, when Sakuragi got hosed up in Slam Dunk

also this is the internet and people love complaining, so there's that

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Wow, so I guess this confirms it's been around five years since Ippo fought Date? Date Jr. looked like he was in primary school at the time and now seems to be a young teen

edit: and then the next chapter says it's been seven years since he graduated high school, so that sounds about right

edit: actually i guess i read them in the wrong order woops

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Billzasilver posted:

And Vorg the White Wolf. Frankly I wish Mashiba would too.

Mashiba got over Ippo almost immediately after they fought

Well, if by "got over" you interpret to mean "is not professionally fixated on" and not "is fine with the idea of his sister being in a relationship with"