Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

I never knew there was an sequel to Interstate '76. Is it any good?

In addition, what was the issue that kept I'76 from working properly? I bought the game around a year ago when it was on sale, but never played it because of all the problems it had. I've heard that you have kill Windows Explorer to get it working properly, but the GOG forums also have installers that are said to fix the issues.

Was there a reason GOG wasn't able to fix it? Plus, does anyone know what the best method of fixing it is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Every time I hear something about Warrior Within, I always think of this snippet from a CVG article I was linked to.

CVG - 5 Most Disappointing Sequels Ever posted:

Warrior Within wasn't necessarily a bad game - it played pretty similarly to Sands of Time after all - it just took an unnecessary turn in direction. The original creator of Prince of Persia, Jordan Mechner, even said the game "sucks, and I hope everyone involved in the development of that title perishes in an unfortunate accident involving super glue, bird seed, and a cage full of mutant cassowaries."

Well, actually he said 'it wasn't to his taste', which to us is more or less wishing a killer bird-based death upon the developers.

Yet somehow, the game already has a 4.5 star rating on GOG.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Genpei Turtle posted:

I think it's not as much absolute garbage as people make it out to be. The open-world (though it's not that open) and exploration aspect is good, and the dungeon crawling/combat isn't terrible. From a pure gameplay perspective it's decent, if a bit forgettable. It's not great but not the abomination it's often decried as.

Where it falls flat on its face is that as an Ultima it's complete poo poo. The plot is terrible, the characters are all idiots with tons of cringe-worthy dialogue, and it overall feels like a terrible Ultima fanfic than a bona-fide Ultima game. A lot of the bile for the game comes from Ultima fans mad at it for pissing all over Ultima canon. And the fact that it was ridiculously buggy and unstable on release. The GOG version may clean that up though, I dunno.

If you can look past the idiotic plot and focus on the exploration/gameplay you might be able to get some entertainment out of it. There are plenty of better games you could get for six bucks though.

I remember hearing that the story was changed during development. I think someone posted a patch earlier in the thread that removes the voice acting and changes the dialogue to correspond with the original version of the story. Does anyone know what was changed in the plot?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

AkaiNami posted:

Regarding the missing Larry 7: it could also be that Activision just didn't care. During the late 2000's Activision released under the Sierra label four 'classic' collections. Kings Quest, Space Quest, Police Quest and Leisure Suit Larry. All of them included the main games (except Kings Quest, which was missing Mask of Eternity). But because of some huge cartoon 'easter eggs' the Larry collection would have recieved a higher rating than the other ones. So Activision dropped it from the box.

I also remember reading that the Larry collection by Activision didn't have the CD version of LSL6. Does anyone know if the GOG version has it?

Additionally, I noticed that GOG included both the EGA and VGA version of LSL1 with the pack. They did the same thing with the first game in the Quest for Glory pack, but not with any of the other Sierra Adventure packs ( the King's Quest and Space Quest packs only include the EGA versions of the first game, while the Police Quest pack only has the VGA version of PQ1.) Was there some sort of legal reason for this?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I had been thinking about buying Alpha Centauri and Syndicate for a while. However, Alpha Centauri strikes me as just being Civilization with a sci-fi tile set, and I’ve steered clear of Syndicate in the past because I’ve heard it’s really difficult.

I’ve also been mildly interested in the Dungeon Keeper games. I have to ask, though, which of the two is recommended?

Also, is Nox any good? The description makes it sound like a humor-filled version of Diablo.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Alpha Centauri is a Civilization game so if you don't want to play Civ at all I suppose you'd best avoid it, but it's a really good Civ game with some unique things about it like a plot and unit creation.

My only real experience with the Civilization series was from playing Civ V on Steam during on of the free weekends. I didn't buy the game, but I liked it enough.

My issue with the Civilization series is that I always feel like I should buy one of the more recent games in the series, because I assume they'd be easier or more accessible then one of the older entries.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

doctorfrog posted:

SMAC's opening salvo of heavily interlaced videotape footage kind of disappointed me when I first watched it, then I ran smack into that quote from Pravin Lal at the game opening screen, and it sort of put a bow on it: this game doesn't just sit around and let you build an empire, there's other stuff going on here.

There have been better-looking, perhaps more fun 4X games, and definitely games with better AI, but there's never been anything that's really tried and succeeded at what SMAC did.

Alpha Centauri does sound really interesting, based on what I've read here in the thread. However, I think I'm going to pass on it for now, mostly because I've got other games I need to finish.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

For someone who has never played the Baldur's Gate games, is it better to purchase the GOG version of BG1 and run it with mods, or to play the Enhanced Edition?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

The Kins posted:

Weekend promo is up: 60% off of RPGs!
Crap, I shouldn't have bought Divinity II on Steam. Even if was three dollars less, I missed out on all the bonus content. :sigh:

Also, regarding Privateer 2, I've heard that it has a lot of issues, not just in terms of bugs and game crashes, but that it was a step down from the first game in terms of gameplay.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

How long has this sale been going on for?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Wing Commander Privateer was free for second. Didn't manage to grab it though. :sigh:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

New sale: Magrunner: Dark Pulse

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Is Cognition bad?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Thief 2's gone; Divinity Dragon Commander: Imperial Editon is up for $22.49 (50% off)

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 14, 2013

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Up now is Spellforce Platinum. Is it worth $2.49?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Up now: Retro City Rampage for $3.74 (75% off)

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

/\/\/\ - Beaten
Up now - Jade Empire: Special Edition.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Up now is Sword of the Stars: The Pit. The description makes it sound like Doom: The Rougelike

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Jack Keane 2 is back up again for those who missed it earlier.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Mercury Crusader posted:

I don't think people want to impulse-purchase an unknown point-and-click adventure priced at $12. Especially when there are games they could be selling for like $2 that people actually want.
Either that or the original Jack Keane burned people so badly that they don't want to take a risk on the sequel.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

@GOGcom posted:

We scheduled this tweet hours ago so we have no idea what our Insomnia Sale has now, but it's probably awesome
Thread title: GOG.com - Jack Keane 2 is probably awesome (66 copies left)

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Toadsniff posted:

Can't help but think this is some great PR. People will forever know the name Jack Keane, the killer of sales.
It could be worse; the next deal could be 500 copies of Master of Orion 3 at 20% off.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Kiavahr posted:

They're at 42 reviews as of now. 41 of them were written today.

Here are some of those reviews:

quote:

Once in a lifetime, there comes a game that changes not only the face of gaming, but the very soul of all who are blessed enough to experience it. Jake Keane 2: The Fire Within is precisely such a game. While Jack Keane 1: The First Jack Keane was met with lukewarm reception and little to no fanfare, Jack Keane 2 propels the series into legendary status, potentially revolutionizing the art of the interactive narrative with its gripping and emotionally-charged story.

There are few games that I will admit were able to make me cry, but Jack Keane 2 was indeed such a game, as it left me deeply touched and emotionally drained. Not only that but the perfect gameplay is every bit as fast and visceral as it is thoughtful and strategic. To play this game is to achieve nirvana.

I can not recommend this game highly enough. Play it and experience spiritual rebirth.

quote:

Jack Kanini: The Angry Fires is the greatest game any plane of existence has ever had the absolute pleasure to bear witness to. With a story crafted delicately from the collective hearts of all of humankind, and a few primates, there is absolutely no reason why you should not purchase exactly 57 copies of this beautiful game that has been handed to us on a golden platter by God himself.

quote:

I love this game! It is one of the best adventure games I've ever owned. I love how the main character say's awesome one liners and how the antagionist is a evil Sumo Wrestler dragon cyborg!

This game is filled with all sorts of emotions and they will make you feel like you're really there.
For the low low low low low price of 11.99 you can experience this epic masterpiece.

This is a must buy! 10000000/10

quote:

I should preface this by saying that I've been having a lot of trouble with my son. Recently, he's discovered the wide world of the internet as well as computer gaming, and he hasn't been listening to his mother or myself at all.

Jack Keane, your Fire Within has cleansed my son of all desire to turn on a computer from this day forth! He cleaned his room, did the dishes, and wept as he said his prayers. When I asked what brought about the change, he screamed through the raining tears, "JACK KEANE! JACK KEANE!"
Bless you, Jack Keane...

quote:

Where were you when Jack Something Something 2 killed the Insomnia sale?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Leper Residue posted:

This list is awesome, but Oh My God I missed Tex Murphy for 2.49! Fuuuuck.

Tex Murphy's back up again!

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Edit: /\/\/\Beaten

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Mercury Crusader posted:

That reminds me, what ever happened to the first System Shock?

I've seen available as abandonware. I'd post a link, but I'm not sure if it's considered :filez: or not.

Antti posted:

Startopia doesn't go on sale very often so I'm not surprised it's flying off the shelves. I've been keeping an eye on it for a while.

Drat. I should of bought it. Guess I'll just wait to see if goes on sales during the holidays.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Nov 16, 2013

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Neverwinter Nights 2 is up and going fast.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

How does the campaign for NWN2 fair? I heard that the campaign for the first game wasn't that great, and most of the best content for it was user-created.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

pentyne posted:

The wiki is almost essential to learn what game breaking bugs you might encounter and how you can brick your game. Easily avoided by making a new save file each time you save so you can go back to a previous one. Management of the stronghold is also crazy broken and its best to just follow a step by step guide to build it up/organize it.

Thanks for the info. Fallout: New Vegas is kind of the same way in that regard, not only in avoiding bugs, but in figuring out all the quest-line triggers for the companions.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

ComposerGuy posted:

I backed Project Eternity, though. What can I say, I'm a gambler.

I would think that if they're not under the pressure of a set release date, they'll have more time to do proper QA.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Is Evoland any good? The screenshots make it look pretty interesting, but the reviews on the product page don't seem too favorable.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Saigyouji posted:

Geneforge is up, for the people who missed it the first two times. 600 copies.

What's Geneforge like? Everyone in the thread has hyped it up a lot, but I'm not that familiar with it. All I know that it was done by one person (Jeff Vogel).

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

ComposerGuy posted:

Geneforge is the best series Vogel has made (and I say this as a fan of Exile/Avernum as well). Whether or not you will like them depends on a few things:

- Are you OK with simplistic graphics?

- Do you like Ultima and/or Pokemon?

- Are you a fan of the old type RPG gameplay?

If "yes" to 2-out-of-3, grab it. They are surprisingly complex for being made by one dude.

edit: plus its 3 bucks for five games.

edit2: :siren:FMV MARK HAMILL IS UP:siren:
  1. Yes
  2. I've never played any of the Ultima games. I did play the first three generations of Pokemon (up to Ruby/Sapphire), after which I abandoned the series.
  3. I'm not sure what you mean by old-type. I assume you mean stuff like Ultima, Might and Magic, and Wizardry. If so, I have to say no, because I've never played any of them.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I already own Jade Empire on Steam. Is there any difference between it and the GOG version?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Rolled Brave New Worlds, and got Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut for $9.99 :sigh:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Dissapointed Owl posted:

What's wrong with that? Game rules.
I'm not saying Deadly Premonition is a bad game, but I've heard that the Director's Cut has a lot of technical issues.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Quick question: which of the Might and Magic games are worth playing? I heard that IX is really bad and should be avoided, but what about the rest?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Curse's standard layout formatting is WAY cleaner, easier to read and plain better looking than wikia's and they have less obnoxious/obtrusive flash ads. Wikia wikis gently caress up the Steam overlay browser without fail because of their ads.

The one "high profile" wiki migration I'm aware of was The Vault moving from wikia to Curse.

Gamepedia is a stupid moniker, though.

Wasn't there some kind of falling out with proprietor of The Vault and Wikia or Curse that prompted the migration?

Additionally, GOG's weekend sale is 60% off the Codemasters catalog. What's the general consensus on Overlord? I've heard mixed things about it.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Going back to Quest for Glory, I was planning on playing through all the games (sans the original versions of QFG 1 & 2). Is there a recommended build for a Fighter/Paladin character?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Up now is Wizardry 6+7.

How do the Wizardry games hold up nowadays?