Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

I actually agree for the most part that making a strategy / 4x game in 3D doesn't really add a lot of benefits* in and of itself, except if you design specifically to take advantage of it.

In this case, SMAC was great because they did it in 3D, but also leveraged the 3D-ness to introduce true terraforming features, instead of just making everything prettier.

* I keep thinking that a 3D engine is more scalable as far as resolutions are concerned, but I could be wrong.
Silent Storm is another (also on GOG) example - the extremely deformable terrain and physics engine went far beyond what a 2D engine could do and opened up the tactical potential amazingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

al-azad posted:

Amazing Weekend promo.

Pretty much every game here is worth it. And I had no loving idea Dragon Pass was on GOG, what rock was I under???

Oh no now I have to decide between Shadow Magic and Eador :ohdear: Please help friends

If it helps, I'm a huge fan of tactical squad-based games like X-Com and Jagged Alliance - it's probably my favourite genre (subgenre?) - and really enjoy Civ-likes in theory but in practice get very bored with them very quickly.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Bethesda get away with bugs/glitches because they have a reputation for hilarious wacky harmless issues like that, so everyone expects a buggy experience and doesn't criticise them or score their games lower for it. No other company gets away with this - see New Vegas getting criticised as a buggy mess when half the bugs were inherited from FO3. It's pretty frustrating.

Anyway! Adventure game sale this weekend. Everything in it is on sale pretty often, but for some reason I always forget to buy any of them.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

THE BAR posted:

You're probably right about 7. Yeah, go with 7 instead of 6, it's just my jaded preference that's talking here.
I think 6 is the better game, but 7's the one I'm more likely to replay some day. 6 has amazing, huge, labyrinthine dungeons that are a master-class of design with fiendishly difficult puzzles and layouts, and the feeling of progression is absolutely unparalleled - but the mobs of enemies are ridiculous in number and it's not a particularly friendly introduction to the kind of game it is. It's a mammoth undertaking that left me feeling genuinely exhausted by its end. 7 is much more polished and a tighter experience, but I couldn't help but feel let down by its tiny dungeons and relative lack of difficulty. Plunging into the depths of Castle Darkmoor and emerging a new man has to be one of my favourite gaming experiences, and 7 didn't really have anything memorable to match it.

Really, I guess it comes down to personal taste - ultimately, while I prefer 6, I'd recommend 7 over it for the majority of people.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I really, really couldn't get into The Suffering when it went freeware a couple of years ago. It just seemed like the entire game was spooky room, followed by room full of maxing-out ammo and health pickups, followed by room where you spend fifteen minutes fighting endless respawns of one enemy, repeat. So loving uninspired. Did I miss something? Does it get better?

On that note, I can't get into Ultima because the entire thing seems to be predicated on how much you enjoy the story/atmosphere/writing and all that sort of thing, but to me it's just Richard Garriott's literal self-insert god figure and his D&D buddies having wacky adventures in a completely uninspired fantasy world with some of the most painfully forced ye olde Englishe I've ever seen. Can't take it remotely seriously. I only played 7, though, I should probably give 4-6 a try sometime.

This post came out a lot harsher than intended.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I remember getting like three levels into Stronghold and my king kept standing on a tower and being hit by cows or something and I couldn't work out how to make him stop. In my defense, I was ten

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

SpruceZeus posted:

How's Rune? Any fun? I do love a little bit of third person action every now and then... although to be honest, as a Dark Souls fan, my bar's set a little high.
Rune is a really fun game but you spend half the campaign stuck in dreary caves and tunnels and wondering when you get back to awesome viking ice village fortresses. Every time you think it's about to end, you enter a new area, even more dreary than the one before.

It's otherwise great and the combat is really, really fun, but... be warned, I guess.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Accordion Man posted:

Yeah, Jade Empire was Bioware's first attempt at trying to not make a totally black and white choice system, i.e. Open Palm was supposed to be essentially the bog standard "give a man fish" style of heroism while Closed Palm was supposed to be a Kreia-esque "Teach a man to fish by making them self-reliant even if you have to be kind of an rear end in a top hat to do it." style of decision making. It just ended up being stark good and petty evil anyway just like Paragon and Renegade in Mass Effect after it, because Bioware writers were never really all that good.
Once you get enough closed fist points it literally gives you the ability to kick puppies

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Are those the good versions of X-Wing/Tie Fighter or can you still not get those? The ones with the dynamic score or whatever? I've never played them and the bloody things have more editions than Divinity 2.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I've heard Myst: Masterpiece Edition is still hosed on Windows 7, or any 64-bit OS for that matter.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

AuntBuck posted:

STALKER code: HT8B40735AED29
Grabbed this, thanks! Played the other STALKER games to death but never got around to CS, so might as well give it a go.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Clever Spambot posted:

Does anyone know if the mysteries of westgate module for neverwinter nights 2 is any good? I own NWN2 Platinum on steam from before it was taken down and as far as i can tell the only difference between platinum and complete is that module so im wondering if its good enough to be worth picking up complete when its on sale for a couple bucks again.
Mysteries of Westgate is really, really good, definitely worth it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

I am glad that I read the warning, because I just tried to buy Lords of Xulima Deluxe when I already had purchased the base game and deluxe kit separately. Why the site doesn't just gray that out is beyond me.

My thick-ness aside, I have gotten several free games from this thread recently and I prefer to give gifts on my birthday rather than receive them, so I am offering gift copies of Xulima Deluxe to the first two people to give me an e-mail address in thread or via PM. No strings attached: I am always one to spread the gospel, such as it is, of retro-style RPGs and 'tis better to give than to receive anyway.
I've been wanting to play it for ages but I've only recently gotten back into work and have more important things to spend money on. I'd love a copy at jimbobeleven at gmail.com, and will be sure to pay it back to the thread when I get a couple of paychecks in :)

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I didn't realise Die By The Sword had number pad controls so I spent my brief time with it running around spinning my mouse in circles and screaming IRL before a goblin decapitated me.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

BadAstronaut posted:

I have literally zero doubt that if the legal ends were tied up, a System Shock 3 kickstarter would get incredible funding.
God no, Ken Levine would either be involved or be a stretch goal.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

Does anyone knows anything abouit "Hard West"?

http://www.gog.com/game/hard_west?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=game_subject&utm_campaign=Retro_Mishmash_New_EN

Many times I promised to myself to never preorder games anymore, but Im a sucker for turn-based squad level games and it works on linux.
I backed it and it's shaping up really well, go for it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Dark Sun 1 is insanely good and everyone should play it. Please don't play Wake of the Ravager though.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I hope they don’t add Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg because whenever I see its name, due to some forgotten but presumably traumatic childhood association, I immediately say “Teri Hatcher and the Curse of the Phantom Bum Eggs”. Please spare me this GOG

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

KotC dude is self-sabotaging by refusing to put his game on other sites, developing dumb RTSs nobody wants instead of KotC 2, and self-publishing books about the glory of libertarianism because there’s a market for those as written by a French videogame developer.

Hell, Jimmy Page and David Bowie both hosed 14-year-olds but I still listen to their music. Up to you who you give your money to I guess, just seems weird.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

someone sell me on Age of Wonders 3

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

is it me or are today's daily deals just yesterday's daily deals with some of the good ones removed

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

double nine posted:

How is 80 days?
extremely good.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Hidden Asbestos posted:

GOG.com are doing a free Giants : Citizen Kabuto giveaway for the next 48hrs.

Scroll down past all of sales to find the button to claim your key.
game owns. get your kabuto on

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Divinity: The Sword of Lies code: 3QJ45AF65FC394167Y

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

This sort of thing just gets up my nose. I get so angry when corporate bullshit hurts the preservation of gaming history. I mention this both due to this and the Duke issue as well.

I have to say, I've observed with a touch of humour that GOG seems to be trolling either Duke's old rights holder or the new one, because each game of the four that are being pulled is only $0.59, which is the cheapest I've ever seen games on GOG, apart from the few free ones. They've technically done better in some of those bundles where you pay less if you buy more (when I bought the Infinity Engine games years back, I payed a penny less when I included Temple of Elemental Evil), but as a straight purchase, no bundling this might be a record. I'm probably wrong, but I really hope that GOG is taking the piss out of someone; that would be grand.
When they had to pull the original Fallout games, they made them entirely free for a weekend, which remains one of the greatest gently caress-you moves I've seen them make

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

What is about the famdom? never heard of this game before;
they like something unironically, which is extremely illegal on the internet of today.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I’m just hoping for X-Wing and TIE Fighter since they’ve never been on a decent GOG discount and the Steam editions don’t have the good versions

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Junior Jr. posted:

I recently got Hatoful Boyfriend as one of my free games, I don't know why it seemed like a reasonable game to redeem nor do I know what do people see in that game. It's just a dumb romance visual novel and yet it's being sold on GOG?
Well, Planescape: Torment has always sold well :mrgw:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

double nine posted:

I just finished Aquanox after having it sit in my account for literally years and it was pretty good. A bit on the janky side for someone used to freespace-style aim assists and craft tended to bump into one another slightly too much but it's overall a fun vehicle combat sim.

Is the second one also good, better or worse?
please don't play Aquanox 2. please

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mortimer posted:

come on neverwinter nights, I know you can go on sale, I want to believe.

We have three people with the game and one without, but you need a key to play multiplayer, you can't :filez: multiplayer unfortunately

but as it turns out gog doesn't give you real keys for NWN, they give everyone the same key because they (legally) cracked the cdkey. So you have to send them an email request for actual keys.

I don't know what the smiley for Gog is but :holymoley:

lmao

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Testekill posted:

As someone with no nostalgia for Shadows of the Empire (I grew up playing the Jedi outcast games), is Shadows any good?
it's awful but weirdly compelling

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mortimer posted:

I'd say its worth about $5 or less

be ready to cheat at a moments notice once you find a few glaringly terrible areas you want to skip past
"a few"

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

I think you should be able to run Fate of Atlantis fine if you use ScummVM.

Is there anything in the D&D Classics bundle that's recommended? I know the Gold Box games are pretty well regarded, but they look pretty primitive and it seems like they'd be hard to get into. I know that there are utilities like the Gold Box Companion, but I don't know how much it improves things. Some of the newer games like Menzoberranzan and the Dark Sun stuff looks a little more accessible.
The first Dark Sun is really good, more like a proto-Fallout than anything else, and you should be well-equipped to get into the Gold Box games after playing it

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Huh. I thought it looked cool when it came out. But whenever I've read about people have said it's incredibly grognard-y and unbalanced. I forgot there was a demo, so I'll check that out.
nah, it's good. People get mad because the combat is hard and you die easily if you mess up. It's not perfect by any means but it's well worth playing

e: I'm probnably going to buy all 4 X-Wing games but someone tell me if they're all good/which order to play them in. X-Wing v TIE Fighter and Alliance seem to have had more of a polarising reception?

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jun 9, 2016

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

Inst Age of Decadence the game from the guys from ROG Codex? I vaguely remember years ago they were making a game, mostly to show to the industry how a real RPG should be

EDIT: vvvv yeah, that. I used to lurk a bit there years ago, and in my head this guy was basically the personification of everything RPG Codex meant
yeah, I posted there for an embarrassingly long time until a year or two ago when I finally gave up. VD is an unmitigated arsehole but he's passionate as hell and committed to AoD to the point of lunacy for nearly ten years, and it shines through. It's kind of a shame he took so long in making it, because it was one of those one-man passion projects that you didn't see any more... until a few years ago.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Yeah it's much better. Still not the best part of the game but no longer painful

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

So X-Wing is really hard and if I die (or get captured?) once during a campaign I have to start it from the beginning again. Goodness.

edit: oh, you just press a button to bring your dude back to life. Sure

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 10, 2016

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm thinking about skipping to TIE Fighter but I dunno

and he was captured :(

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

man X-Men has some stupid-rear end missions. The last one in Tour of Duty 1 where you sit at 1.5km sniping mines for five minutes, then slowly disable a freighter, then wait five-six minutes and have a thirty-second dogfight with two shuttles and two transports (???) that appear out of nowhere and either kill you or your freighter instantly or do nothing whatsoever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

man X-Men has some stupid-rear end missions. The last one in Tour of Duty 1 where you sit at 1.5km sniping mines for five minutes, then slowly disable a freighter, then wait five-six minutes and have a thirty-second dogfight with two shuttles and two transports (???) that appear out of nowhere and either kill you or your freighter instantly or do nothing whatsoever

Okay the first mission of tour 2 is even more ridiculous. gently caress this game