Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

CBR954 is such a great looking bike. Also that is a very clean 13 year old machine.

Is that a seat cowl that's also a mini luggage rack? What make is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Martytoof posted:

After:

I’m super happy with the clean look. Kawasaki and Ninja can stay — not nearly busy enough to warrant my attention.

So much better. It's a nice shaped bike.

I looked into getting my CBR1000 wrapped in Martini race colours last year, it would be £450 from a place in the UK which doesn't seem too steep. May look into that again post apocalypse.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I decided to swap out the stock windscreen for my bike for a double bubble one I ordered a while back. Obviously I didn't look at the service manual for such a small task, for my previous bikes it was just a case of unbolt the old /rebolt with the new one. It was impossible to get the new screen back in because the rubber nut things couldn't fit in between the metal supports and stay located in the holes in the screen. I then managed to ping one of the rubber nuts off somewhere and as this was in my parking space halfway up a mountain there's a decent chance it pinged over the edge and down the mountain side.

The original screen is now back on with 2/4 retaining bolts. Looking at the service manual you are supposed to take off the wing mirrors first, which will presumably be a huge pain given the indicators are built into them. Goddammit. Also I need a new rubber nut thing.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Ulf posted:

Yes it is ridiculous to grease your sidestand.

Yes you will notice the difference.

Absolutely. Greased mine up the other day as it wasn't always retracting fully - silky smooth sidestand action now.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I installed some mini speakers in my helmet and a little Bluetooth receiver. Pretty neat compared to one of the Sena systems, I don't need to talk to anyone.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The receiver is one of these, works well though I'm sceptical it will be loud enough on the autoroute. I only went for a short spin though.

https://www.digitec.ch/en/s1/product/xiaomi-bluetooth-audio-receiver-receiver-bluetooth-audio-adapters-10032225

In terms of its functionality, no issues at all. It's really neat.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Jazzzzz posted:

Are those the JBL speakers from a Cardo kit, or a different model?

Yes the Cardo ones. My Shoei has cutouts they fit into and the kit comes with velcro pads the speakers can grab onto. Very helpful that the helmet lining is removable.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I had to come up to the mountains tonight so tested out the Bluetooth receiver dongle. It's pretty good if you're not going fast but inaudible above 120kph.

The ride up the mountain was lovely in the setting sun. I've been vaguely thinking about changing the fireblade for something more upright, maybe a hypemotard, but it's just a great bike.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I had a load of pain in my left wrist last time I took the bike out so finally bothered changing the angle of the lever to a more natural angle. Literally a 1-minute job, why didn't I do that before.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Tiny upgrade but I added a stem mount for my phone. gently caress it makes a big difference having a map / navigation in front of you.

Guess I should get an anti vibration thing so it doesn't shake my camera to death.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

After my experience getting stranded last week I replaced the battery in the CBR. Holding the nuts inside the terminals while attaching the leads and Optimate wires was a huge pain. I ended up stuffing bit of plastic bag in the terminal to keep the nut in place, felt like I was totally bodging it but there you go.

Anyway the voltage looks a lot better (this is on the Optimate but w/e)

I also installed an anti vibration thing for my new phone mount. Going to pick up an actual phone case to attach straight to it this afternoon.

e: well the bike started fine, restarting after picking up the case from the shop was a little slow, and then when I got home I saw the voltage was a little low, 11.8V. Should I be worried?

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 17, 2021

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

It's the specified battery for the bike.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Slavvy posted:

That is amazingly small but I guess efficiency gains make it work ok? Or they just didn't have much space. Regardless if it's right it's right but less than 12v is pretty bad, check the charging voltage with a multimeter.

I went out to get a covid travel test and a multimeter and it was totally fine.

I also went to the Ducati garage and got totally ignored so left after 15 minutes of getting increasingly annoyed.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

To replace the screen, first remove the mirrors which contain the indicators. The plugs are hidden behind the display.

This is a Puig screen that's a bit higher than the standard one.

Gratuitous car shot

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Quickshifter-rr installation at lunchtime

Standard slowshifter

On the bike. Pretty straightforward. Only annoying thing was getting the bottom lock nut tight.

It was easy to initialise in the bike's settings, though I haven't road tested it yet. Looking forward to trying it out later.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

It works! Downshifts are particularly cool.

Also there was a lovely sunset.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Cool that it basically has mid-2000s GSRX1000 gauges

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I think that means your visor has quite high latency, could that be the problem?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Razzled posted:

Drove 11 hours to pick it up from Detroit.

Finally got one of my dream bikes thanks to the replacement Tuono being a giant sack of poo poo and is in the shop for the second time after less than 10 hours of riding.

Streetfighter 1098s with custom paint, midnight purple

Oh wow :allears:

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What i did to my bike today was finally ride it.

Turns out the Goldwing is perfectly camouflaged for extremely brown Wisconsin Springtime.

I just spotted the forward footrests. Are they actually usable? They look extremely wide apart.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Lol

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

LimaBiker posted:

I 'properly' rode the FZR600 for the first time in almost a year today. It's so nice.

It's a bitch to ride in slow traffic but on some medium speed twisties it's lovely. I'm now committing to buying a set of fresh tires for it :)
Now to decide which ones. I think i'll just get the same battlax t32 that are on my SV.

Nice. Pics?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

TotalLossBrain posted:

No, the chains on Groms and Monkeys are 420 non -oring. The one I just took off was a DID brand.

Is there a way to put a proper chain on it?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I finally got around to sticking a neater number plate hanger on the Fireblade.

Original. Looks so stupid to me now

All the plastics had to come off to get at the 4 bolts holding it on:

Much better. I'm going to need to do some modification because the light doesn't actually illuminate the plate at all.

I got a double Optimate charger to keep both bikes topped up, and a paddock stand and cover for the Scrambler

All 3 vehicles plugged in

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The old lovely plastic number plate holder was in the way of the number plate light on my new tail tidy, so I got a new very slim metal one. Ninety loving bucks!

I guess the interchangeable plates are a bit of a Swiss specific thing. Anyway it's on the bike.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

It's illegal to wash your car in your drive / on the street where I live. I use the brush at the washing station but have to use the jet to rinse it off.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

How often do you drop bolts down the gaps in your decking?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

TotalLossBrain posted:

Where does the incomprehensible pseudo language come in play in California though

Don't say that about Italian!

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Fuuuck

What I did today was drop my Scrambler taking it off the paddock stand. The paddock stand isn't one with bobbins on and not perfectly stable. I was drawing it back on the stand and it wobbled so I decided to put it on the side stand... Which wasn't out.

Need a new clutch lever and gear shifter. Slight ding on the crank cover but not enough to bother repairing. Scratch on the mirror and bar end.

This is doubly annoying because I was going to take it back to the dealer to have the brake disc looked at, I'll need to replace these bits first or they'll just say I've hosed it up myself.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

UPDATE: I bought a new clutch lever and gear lever from a place in Italy, and for good measure a new brake disc and pads. Looking forward to getting absolutely rinsed by Swiss customs charges.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I replaced the clutch lever which was super easy. Brembo included all the clips and bushings and even a little sachet of grease with the lever, and amazingly some very clear instructions. A+ would replace again.

I got a new gear lever too but it looks like a pain in the dick to replace and the existing one wasn't that bent. I got out the vise grips and bent it more or less back to original shape.

I also got a bike lift which will get the whole thing off the ground and enable me to replace the front disc. It seems a good design but came one nut short in a key bit of the mechanism so I wasn't able to finish building it. Very frustrating.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Sagebrush posted:

That is probably a bog standard M6~M8 (can't tell the scale) nylok nut that you can buy for 45 cents at your local hardware store.

Or 15 cents in bulk from Amazon, or 3 cents from AliExpress if you want to wait a month. One day a couple of years ago I splurged and bought fifty dollars' worth of miscellanous metric hardware from AE, which is like 1000+ individual nuts and bolts, and it's so nice to just be able to pull out whatever you need on the spot in situations like yours.

Exactly it's a M8, I'll head to the grumpy local quincaillerie and see what he has. They didn't provide Nylok so I was sticking on some blue loctite on the essential bolts.

Yeah I should do the mixed nuts thing. Amazon doesn't exist in my country and I don't think I can get an assortment but will just get some bits and pieces.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I'm ex-EU which makes customs annoying especially for small things like this.

Ultimately I've failed with this stand. The stand lifts the bike on a sleeve which attaches to an engine mount bolt, and a nylon bushing that goes into the swingarm pivot. The English instructions say to "loosen the engine mount bolt" which, OK but it goes through and out the other side of the frame. Reading the German instructions it says to remove the bolt and re-insert from the other side.

I don't have a long enough socket to hold the nut on the other end of the engine mount bolt... and I'm a bit reluctant to just unbolt the engine as it's only held to the frame by the two engine mounts. People online seem to have done it with no problems though.

https://www.motea.com/media/montageanleitungen/constands/adapterplatten/421404.pdf

This guy managed it on a 900ss
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWJBiWaRRlQ

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Right? gently caress.

I really just wanted a front paddock stand and this looked like a convenient option instead

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I ended up using the stupid stand because it's what I have. It's... ok, I wouldn't recommend getting one but it's stable and gets the bike airborne.

I got a skid plate / belly pan which I thought would look nice but basically you can't see it. Also it bolts to the engine via the generator and clutch cover bolts rather than any part of the frame so presumably wouldn't even function very well. Sad!

Front wheel off and new rotor and pads on. The rotor is the generic Brembo one but has a slightly different design from the original.

The wheel now spins freely for a couple of rotations when I spin it, but I can hear the pads touching the surface slightly unevenly through a rotation, and it's making me a bit paranoid. I know a slight about of drag is normal but should it be completely even?

I cleaned the rotor mating surface with a rag before putting the new one on and it's all torqued properly. Going to take it up the street and see how it feels.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

My shipment of 10W-30 arrived. Turns out Motul 7100 is purple? 2550ml out, 2550ml replaced.

The old stuff looks a bit ropey, I wonder if the garage actually did it when I paid them last year.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Slavvy posted:

What are all these devices...?

E: I've just worked out what's going on and I have to tell you, you really won't be able to get all the oil out by suction from above. The capacity of that bike anecdotally is like 3L, I don't see how the sucky thing can get past the baffles in the pan. Never seen anyone do it that way before, that's like how you do the transmission oil on a car or something? Did you do the oil filter?

The capacity is 2500ml and I got exactly that out (50ml over). Filter change isn't specified for an annual oil change in the service manual.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

😑

The devices are

1. Motorcycle
2. Oil extraction pump
3. Old 12V battery

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 29, 2022

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I put some air in the Scrambler's tyres and went to the shops to get some climbing kit. I also thought about putting on the rack and top box but didn't manage to convert intention into action.

Nice but cold day, still really enjoying the Scrambler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Another fail at putting the rack on the Scrambler. The holes in the rack components don't line up with the ones in the frame, and 2 of the bigass bolts are either a hosed up size or just badly made, and I can't do em up even if the holes were the right distance apart. 6.5mm hex??? :ducati: