Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yerok posted:

Wired in a new voltage regulator and fixed the charging system for good hopefully. Then rode it through a short, twisty nature preserve road and pissed everyone off.

(also I took a dumb picture of it)

This is pretty sweet. Do you look like a hunched over giant riding it? Or is perspective tricking me and it is, in fact, not a very small bike?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yerok posted:

It's a tiny bike, but I'm just barely 6"

:mmmhmm:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Xovaan posted:

Replaced my Tokico 6 pot calipers with a seized piston with Nissin 4-pots from a first gen Bandit 1200!

Same piston surface area and stopping power as the Tokicos but a lot better lever feel. The hydraulic ratio is the same but I can pretty much do stoppies with one finger now, instead of having to bring the brake lever all the way to the bar to push the extra stupid amount of brake fluid through the system of the Tokicos. Considering it would have cost as much to fix the Tokicos as it was to get the 4-pots and Galfer HH pads and fluid, it was a no-brainer to upgrade to the more reliable Nissins. 2000+ Bandit 1200 owners, I highly recommend this mod!

Also, I put Tuono mirrors on my Bandit. It's amazing how well they work-- way better than even my car's mirrors. :sun:

Nice. Did the factory brake line fittings bolt on? I'm getting braided lines shortly and I don't want to jump in then find the 4-pots take a different fitting.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

Finally got the Honda out from my friends' garage on Saturday, so gave 'em both a Canada Day washing & waxing.

Now to sell the ol' girl.

How the crikey do you actually get a bike this clean? I've always wanted to get my bike looking this way but there are dozens of nooks and crannies etc that are impossible to reach.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Supradog posted:

Installed some oxford premium(right..) adventure heated grips on my transalp. Weather is real nice atm but they'll be handy come rainy fall days.

Had to run a line to the battery though, hopefully the "off" mode is properly off. Could not find an easy accesible cable after the ignition. Whatever the POs have done with that jumble of black electrician tape maskerading as a cable harness is a bigger project :stare:

I have oxford grips on my bike (sport bike ones though...the only difference seems to be the grip pattern), I too ran a wire to the battery. This was a horrible mistake on my part. The off position is definitely off, I've had my bike sitting for a week without issue. However, you will forget them in the on position and return to a bike with a flat battery. I'm just too lazy to find an ignition-on wire to hook them to but I urge you to do the same. It just isn't worth the headaches. Additionally, don't trust the lovely double-sided pad they give you to secure the switch box to the bracket; it will last about a week in bad weather. Find some other means to secure it, like some sort of epoxy or what have you.

Grips work pretty well though!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Braincloud posted:

Last Thursday I flipped my mirrors so they're below the bars, relocated my front turn sigs to the forks, and dropped my headlight down. Then I rode from Seattle to Bend, OR over the weekend and took a picture.

(On top of Pilot Butte. The mountains in the distance, from left to right: Mt. Bachelor, Broken Top, and (two of the three) Sisters

I'm sure I've said this before but: I don't like Harleys at all, but that is pretty sweet. Will moving your light that far down affect your visibility at night?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

And yes, I'm a loving legend who does bike work on the sidewalk in front of the house

There we go. If only I were so bold. And didn't have a garage or an enormous hillside for a driveway.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

FluffyDice posted:

I think I posted the damage here the other day but I have since made progress. I installed a new exhaust the other day and was pretty happy until I melted the lower fairing on my bike. I cut out the melted plastic so I could ride it to work still.

This weekend I managed to patch up the section.

This is clay I bought from Hot Dollar for a couple of dollars. Just used it to make a mould.

Does this look good enough to not be hugely noticeable? I'm fairly happy with it. Does anyone in SA Mart cut custom stickers?

That's an astonishingly good job and literally noone would notice unless they had the exact same bike as yours.

Does it sound like a moto3 bike now? Yes is the only acceptable answer.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I did my steering head bearings :toot: The old ones were so bad it was extremely notchy and difficult to turn the triples without the bars adding leverage.

Also swapped in hyperpro springs and the accompanying fork oil. They supplied 15w, the factory spec is 10w.

I've only briefly ridden it around the block a couple of times and it honestly does feel like a different bike. As in I can't tell if it's better or worse because it feels like a completely different model of bike, it doesn't handle remotely similarly and I'm bad at judging handling on first impression.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Got to work today feeling like the rear was really vague and wallowy. Found this:

Along with about 12PSI in the tyre. Great. So this was my lunch break:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Supradog posted:

I washed the bike and took off the cover over the front sprocket before cleaning and lubing the chain. Really glad I did as there was probably some years worth of sand/dirt/oil gunk inside there. One place had a good inch deep deposit. Sprocket looked okay, worn, but not done.

That goo will be back in about two months. The only clear space in there, on every bike I've owned, has been the cavity carved out by the sprocket/chain itself. Bieks :saddowns:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mcqueen posted:

Tuono had a flat, small puncture but enough to drain about 10 PSI a day. Apparently motorcycle shops do not patch tires due to liability. Awesome.

Went to harbor freight, got 40 dollars worth of tools and did it myself. gently caress getting rid of a brand new PR3.

See above for the exact same thing happening to me. Automotive tyre shop did it no problems.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mcqueen posted:

You don't live in America, I assume?

No thank christ, New Zealand. I get paid a respectable wage to do a good job, which I then spend without fear of lawsuits or corrupt police. We have a really steroidal, government-run public accident insurance corporation. I could literally walk into a k-mart parking lot and start replacing my clutch. Provided noone told me to go away or called the cops, if I had an accident and hurt myself ACC would happily pay me out and k-mart would have nothing to do with it.

The tyre shop saying to me "you know this isn't as 100% safe as a brand new tyre, right?" is enough of a disclaimer, provided a future blow-out can't be proved to be the fault of their workmanship, in which case it would enter the courts under the consumer guarantees act. In that scenario, in addition to my ACC payout for my flayed skin I would probably get some sort of compensation extracted from the shop.

There is a constant undercurrent of whingeing about how ACC costs 'the tax payer' x amount of money, but this is mainly by people who have no concept of what it's like to live in a country without such a system, where health insurance is completely privatised and you can get a lawsuit hurled at you over nothing.

It staggers me that a vast proportion of americans actually resist the idea of a similar system over there because mah freedums or whatever.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

infraboy posted:

Also Kawasaki must've employed a gorilla on steroids to torque down the front sprocket nut, holy hell.

This is apparently pretty normal. The first time I discovered this I needed the bike for work the next day and had already snipped the old chain. The only person who could help me was my mother.

Trying to teach a fifty five year-old woman how to simultaneously stand on the brakes and hold the bike upright while I whaled on the nut with a breaker bar+jack handle was interesting.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Did the front tyre, stator cover, instrument cluster fascia and handlebar realignment on the 2010 street triple some lunatic traded in for a decrepit audi TT at work.

I never new sliding 2-piston calipers could stop so bloody hard! Feels like a psychopathic scooter compared to my bike.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Currently balls-deep in valve clearances. gently caress you Kawasaki making me drain the coolant to do it.

Turns out my bike has a 'moto-fab' 4 degree ignition advancer fitted. Neat!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Last night I decided to be a lazy oval office and just rest my tank on top of my bike instead of removing it completely because I didn't want to deal with the ragged-rear end fuel line.

The tank lost balance while I was across the garage and tumbled off the side of the bike, hitting every protrusion on it's way to the ground.

gently caress.

MY.

LIFE.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Halo_4am posted:

Too little too late I know, but for future lazy rear end reference just grab a couple of bungee cords to prevent such an oops. It may still slide around depending on what you find for strap points, but it shouldn't slide totally off.

That's how I saved spilling gas out of the Softail the second time I had to open the head up (due to reversing the rods while I was in there the first time).

If it's enough of a pain in the rear end to get the tank off and I expect to have it off frequently (both true in the Softail's case as well) take a look at McMaster Carr and get some fuel grade valved quick disconnect fittings. Easy off, and minimal spillage.

The thing is, I've had this happen on my lovely first bike so I already knew not to do that and do it properly instead but I'm a dumbass. It's like when you smash your head on something and you only have yourself to blame but you just need to externalise your rage somehow.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Geirskogul posted:

I had to replace my signals because when I moved to Phoenix the bendy stalks literally melted enough to let the signals point towards the ground.

I always knew that no bike manufacturer ever does environmental endurance tests on prototypes the way car makers do.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Xovaan posted:

Why not swap an GSXR1100 motor into the chassis when it explodes? You get a GSXR steel basket clutch, GSXR intake and exhaust cams, and can opt for bore and jet kits and just wheelie forever :sun:

This is the correct course of action.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Do I get fuel injection? I'm done with carbs forever.

No :(

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Xovaan posted:

At least seven at this rate

Previous owners didn't change out the gaskets on and around the float bowls so I might as well have it replaced while in there since I'm having the bike tuned after repairs. OEM is $60 x 4 = $260 after tax. Then the Mikuni "needle jet" is a $30 part, of which I need four (the reason the bike is running rich is because the needle wore through this tube) so that's $130 right there. And I'm converting the bike to use stick coils because I haven't done anything interesting to the bike in a while so that's $100 for the Hayabusa coils and harness assembly. Add in shop labor for installation and tuning since I have zero time to do anything now. :smith: They quoted me at 2.5 hours to install and tune the bike with a wideband. They did say that's a pretty high estimate and should be less than that but it still comes out to a decent coin. I'm just trying to do as much preventative maintenance as possible since I wanna start commuting via bike again and don't wanna have to go back into my carbs if something else is already on the verge of needing replacement.

In other news, I did manage to fix my girlfriend's 250. :D She said it was puttering and it died on her and the tank *looked* like it had gas but I guess it didn't so I put gas in it and there you go, fixed bike. I'm a loving expert over here

But carbs, you see, are just as reliable as EFI and if you just maintain the bike conscientiously like xovaan does then...wait...

I have carbs ohgodkillme.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

So, how about an aircraft carb? Those things get stuck at constant throttle forever and don't wear out particularly. Is there a reason not to use updraft carbs on a bike (besides having to set the mixture by hand all the time)?

edit: of course: only one circuit. Sucks at anything except WOT or close to it.

Screw all carbs forever. EFI for life.

Carbs: letting people down since the battle of Britain.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Part of the reason I got my ninja relatively cheaply is because, in addition to his general ignorance, the PO had attempted to resolve the notorious wheelie nose problem and failed. He seemed to think it was basically unfixable without buying a new ram air duct. He was wrong.

This is my ugly, temporary but extremely effective fix. I'll make up some proper brackets eventually but for now I'm enjoying having working mirrors, a readable instrument cluster and a bike that doesn't do a flipper impersonation on every bump.

Droopy droop nose

Fixed with a 20 dollar trip to the hardware store and an hour of time. You can just see the PO's failed attempt at a fix where he used 1.5mm alloy and just put the stress back in the exact same place. Surprise, surprise; the alloy tore like paper just like the plastic does on a factory bike.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I wish I could afford a second bike. I'd buy an sv650 or something even smaller and shittier and commute every day on it. Commuting in a car sucks balls but doing it on a litersport isn't much better. I'm still taking the bike to work every other day but I know it's really bad for my wallet and the bike. I didn't think about this enough.

What I'm saying is I want a vtr250.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Halo_4am posted:

Psssh, big bikes are still not comparable to a car for commuting. The V-Max is my daily commuter which is <10 miles of bumper to bumper traffic in an area where lane splitting is illegal. Ironically the mpg's go down for me in the Summer because the engine warms up fast enough for me to launch between lights without a care in the world. My worst tank of gas is still 26 mpg.

All but the most boring econoboxes or hybrids are going to be hard pressed to get that in city traffic.

Mileage isn't my problem, it's the fact that I'm doing 60km a day, most of it in a straight line, which just obliterates sporty tyres. On top of which it's a huge amount of not-fun mileage on my bike, giving me wear and tear and ageing for no return at all. I'd rather have something common and cheap that I can beat on while still reaping the benefits of good mileage and drastically reduced commute times, with my nice bike saved for outside rush-hour donging.

I'd sell my car and buy a 250 if my car were worth anything, but I'd struggle to get $500 for it :v:

edit: to clarify, the reason I can't afford owning two bikes is because the registration fee for my zx10 is about $650 a year; a sub-600cc is still around $550/year. My car, on the other hand, has the rego 'on hold' which I theoretically can't legally drive on, but no cop has ever ticketed me for it. This costs me nothing.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 31, 2013

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

...until you meet the pissy cop who does ticket you for it, and you have to pay more than your car's worth in fines.

It's a $200 dollar fine. I would have to get three fines for it per year to make it more expensive than paying the $450 registration fee.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

Buy some Pilot Road 3s, realize that they are every bit as capable as a hypersport tire until you start pushing them on the track, laugh at people running Q2s to commute.

I've heard this theory before but I'm really reluctant to shell out the $600 and find out it isn't true. Not to mention, as I said earlier, there are other reasons for not wanting to commute on the zx10.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coredump posted:

Get a scooter if another bike is too much.

I'm honestly thinking about it, but because traffic is hit-and-miss I don't relish the thought of trying to do 120km/h on a scooter when there's a good day. I'm going to start scouring my local craigslist equivalent for a lovely 250.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I can't imagine living in a hellhole where splitting is illegal. My car ride home takes 90 minutes on a good day. My bike ride home takes 25 minutes.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Odette posted:

Ha, yeah. Bus/car takes about 45 minutes to get over the bridge, my bike takes 15. :v:

gently caress the center lanes on a bike though. They're so narrow and people have no perception of the volume their car takes up so they drive over a meter from the barriers.

Xovaan posted:

California (New Zealand?) supremacy. :smugdog:

:smuggo: now if only our speed limits weren't so laughably low.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Living out west supremacy :smug: the upper harbour highway is basically completely unmonitored and appears to be designed with everyone driving McLaren f1's in mind.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Xovaan posted:

I ordered a new petcock. $120 later. Hopeful that this fixes my disappearing fuel issues. :goleft:

Forgot to order rear brakes though. :argh:

New as in new Suzuki? Or new as in new aftermarket?

n8r posted:

Man you've thrown a lot of good money after a rather crap bike.

Shouldn't you be off ruining some kid's Christmas or something?

Content:

Still waiting for the suspension guy to finish my forks. drat showa and their special tools bullshit, but it was free so I'm not complaining. I'm just hoping he screws all the settings back to how I had them, I had it set up so well but forgot to write anything down, because I am a dumbass.

Fairings have since been put back on after polishing. Results are average; better than before but not brilliant.

edit: the ammo box isn't holding the bike up, it just happens to be there

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Xovaan posted:

Nice bike :hfive:

OEM petcock. I only paid $1200 for the bike so really now it's still a stupid cheap bike after insurance, maintenance, tires, etc.

$1200 bucks for a b12. Kill me, a completely hosed one here costs $2500 minimum.

Also it occurs to me that you could have tried just blocking off the vacuum line to the petcock and running the bike on PRI for a while to see if it fixed the problem.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

Settings will need to change with new fork oil / internals anyway.

No new internals, just seals and fluid. Despite this, you're more right than you could possibly know. The guy said the old fluid was 'like treacle' and chucked in 2.5w which is apparently close to the unicorn semen Kawi recommend. Guess this weekend is testing time :getin:

Xovaan posted:

D'oh. Should have tried that, yeah. Oh well-- I'm fine just throwing money at it at this point since there isn't much else to go wrong. :downs:

$1200 for a B12 with new chain and clutch, to boot. Not including all the Holeshot sparklies, too. Move to Cali with Z3n and you'll be taken care of, bro :love:

Sadly I don't live anywhere near 'murica. Z3n will forever be an ephemeral internet hero to me :swoon:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

Well...now you can be the guinea pig - do a compression test in some miles and let's see how it compares given that you didn't pull the head.

2.5w seems REALLY light. Like, stupid light.

And I promise I'm much more substantive and less heroic in person.

The guy seemed pretty insistent. It seems light to me too but it's almost impossible to find anything on the net for the first gen so I can't confirm.

edit: found a factory workshop manual, it's meant to be 10w. gently caress's sake I don't need this poo poo.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 9, 2013

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mazda3 AND a KTM AND an expensive looking pushbike? You're like an AI/CA grand master :v:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Finally finished a project I've been working on for some time.

So I like the look of those rubber knee grips that a lot of older motorcycles had, and which are still around on modern Triumphs and Enfields and such.

The very earliest versions of my bike, a Honda CL350, and its precedessor, the 305, came with rubber knee grips like those above. The 1971 model has a differently shaped tank and did not come with grips. When I look on eBay, I can find lots of grips for different models (tons for the S90 for instance), which wouldn't fit, and a few NOS grips from things like CB450s that might fit okay but they aren't really designed for my tank shape and they're usually $150+ a set. There are also generic ones available, but they're usually pretty ugly or designed for a peanut tank; and finally there are zillions of types of grip that say Triumph or Norton or whatever on them but I can't do that, can I

So I decided to make my own.

1: doodle some concepts and lay out the general design on a photo of the side of the gas tank.

2 (not shown): print out the drawing at various scales, cut out paper representations of the grip, and figure out the proper size, since you don't know if what you're drawing will actually look right in real life. Record the scale factors you need to use when modeling the part.

3: import concept to CAD program of your choice and, using the concept drawing for scale, model the actual part in three dimensions.

4: invert this 3D model, creating negative geometry that can be used as a mold.

5: cut this mold (and a mirrored version for the other side of the tank) on your CNC machine. Make the logo insert with your laser cutter because you haven't got an end mill small enough to cut all the details you need.

6: clean and prepare mold with releasing agents.

7: fill with 2-part liquid urethane rubber

8: after 16 hours, demold parts

9: wash off all curing oils and traces of releasing agents

10: nice rubber parts!

11: clean gas tank and attach parts with heavy-duty silicone glue, apply moderate clamping force for 24 hours

12: done

Now you have the only rubber knee grips designed specifically for a 1971 CL350 in the entire world!

:aaaaa: My god. Most heroic thing I've seen in quite some time. Also probably the most disproportionate effort:bike ratio I've ever seen but whatever floats your boat :)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Petcock. So now it runs ok? No more dumping fuel into the engine with wild abandon?

Petcock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I found myself wanting a DRZ after riding my ZRX down a bunch of gravel roads, too.