Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That's hilarious. I love chill cops. I'm interested in why you thought the kickstand switch tripped you up. Are you saying that you put your foot far down enough to engage the kickstand, and it killed the engine briefly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Non sm drz400 seem to sell for thousands less on cl. Can these be made road legal with some indicators, sumo tires, and plates? I'd love a sumo, but want a sub 2k one to thrash and wheelie, not a garage queen $4500 one. Doesn't even have to be super fast. Just small light and fun.

What's up with listing their usage in hours? Are these fairly low maintenance like the sv? I've read the entire thread but can't remember if this has been answered.

I think I'd even be OK with a 250. The honda 230 sumo I took my msf with was a blast.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 5, 2013

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Interesting note on the hours. Thanks for that answer. I'll look into wr250x. A KTM would be great, as I love pretty much everything I see in ktm. I just don't know anything about them and there arent many available in my area. None right now.

Don't want to push my budget. A sumo would be an irresponsible toy purchase for me until spring. That said, I want to know what to look out for.

I suppose it couldn't be as easy and cheap as converting a non sm. Good to know where the costs are. I don't really won't to do huge conversions to save a few hundred over an already sumo'd bike.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Dec 5, 2013

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
The inflation in this market is the most frustrating thing. I get it that people pay it and so it's worth that, but COME ON.
The wr250x looks really cool and is exactly what I'm wanting. I can't drop 3+ k on a bike until I sell my SV in spring, though.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I want one of these so bad and I DID NOT KNOW it came in such a stunning color. That is a very nice bike and the mods are tasteful. Sounds like you are set to really enjoy it.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
^^^^ What happened?

Akion, only if your sumo were white with slicker street tires could it look better. Otherwise, that's the best looking sumo I've ever seen in my life (ktm excluded). Good buy! I want your sumo with the force of seven suns. That full yoshi system is blowing my mind. Even my streetbike yoshi exhaust didn't come close to that visual styling. The bonkers zig zag rear logo, fat muffler, yoshi cutout heat shield on the header... :eyepop:

Enjoy it for me, please. It will be a long time before I can afford a sumo, or even another bike. :sigh:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Akion posted:

detective said the bike was well and proper hosed (spraypainted, numbers filed off, etc...)

This makes me real upset. Your sumo was perfect in every way, and there is no reason to ruin it so badly. It's not enough that they took something so nice that didn't belong to them, but they had to sully it in the most ignorant way possible. I hope they get curb stomped forever.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

XYLOPAGUS posted:

hold out for a used 690SMC.

So these exist in the states? I've been beginning to think that we only got the duke, because I haven't been able to find a 690 smc on the used market yet. Esp ebay motors and craigslist.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Oh wow that's a relief. I was starting to think they were unobtainable like the CBR250RR (the cool i4 one).

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Is there anything wrong with earlier years of it? 5k would be about the max of my price range, depending. I could go with the wr250x, which I've always liked. But why not go all in on an smc if the oppurtinuty comes up? My searchtempest is maxed out at 1200 miles, so these all seem to be just out of that range.

I'm plenty happy with my ex250 for a while. but was interested to know what to look for in the interim.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I've wanted a small displacement crf sumo since I took my BRC on one. I'd normally be against cast wheels on a sumo, but looking up what that would look like, I heartily approve of your plan.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Agreed. Keep us posted on your progress. I'd love to see how it turns out, and how you sort out any issues with conversion.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Heat induced constant weight reduction. KTM.

Does the toolkit really come with loctite?!

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

If nothing else check 3:35 because lol groms. 5:10 is cool too

I didn't notice that the first time. Did that guy just killswitch the other grom?! That's hilarious. Isn't that pretty dangerous at "high" speed to do to someone?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Nah man, did you see that full tuck the guy had going? Bet he was going at least 26.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Riding through the rain on a motorcycle isn't fun. Riding through rain on a supermoto FEELS SO RIGHT. Now I just need to learn to back it in so I can really enjoy this.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
OUTLAW COUNTRY!
Ignore the phone camera. I kept this phone because it survived my 70mph down a couple years back, and the only damage was to the glass over the back camera. I figure it deserves to be used, and besides I can't find a compact smartphone like the N4 (which is already too big).

I am a person who hates being in nature in the rain. I've earned my stripes doing it, I just avoid it now. I also hate riding in the rain, and will just take the car. Then I got a proper one piece suit and a sumo, and all I want to do when it rains is go play like I'm five years old. Today I took the wrx to the park since it was raining and nobody would be there. Despite thinking I'd be unable to ride in the big gravel lot because of the wet, I actually had no problems. After 20 minutes of sliding around, bombing through puddles and mud, I stopped in front of this imposing gate:

I've been shut out by this gate for years. Never thought to go past it because it's a gate and that's that. In fact, I never took a bike down to this gravel lot because I didn't want to risk a drop. Now I have a sumo and the world is changed forever.
Went past the gate by that little bit to the right there and ended up here. Pretty sure I'm not allowed to be here. Pretty sure there were no witnesses to care.

The road ended there, but I decided to go down that grassy bit you see beyond the yellow posts, to see the stream down that hill. When I was down there, I had a perspective to see this to my left :aaaaa:

Bear in mind, I've never really done anything off road before today. And definitely nothing in the mud/wet/slick. I didn't even like riding on wet pavement with proper tires. But it's a sumo so I didn't think twice. Slipped and slid all the way to this cool spot. I wish I had knobbies, because a hill stopped me from going further.

But I walked up the hill to see a lake I had no idea was even there all this time.

I did a bunch of slip sliding hooning after that, including going up a muddy hill, tail sliding all over, feathering the clutch like a boss, and ending up with the bike and myself covered in mud.

I cannot even begin to describe what a revelation all this is, or even fully grasp it myself. Somehow the sumo reality is better than the sumo fantasy. :aaaaa:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Its pretty amazing how far regular street tires will get you off-road, right?

Yeah, I'm really impressed with the "do anything go anywhere" aspect of this bike.

Also, I unintentionally backed it in on cold tires yesterday morning and it just gave me a hunger for more. Things that would be scary on other bikes are just "is that all you got?!" on this.

Day Man posted:

I'm thinking about picking up a wr250r for commuting and loving around on. Good, or bad idea?

You'll hate street riding on big knobbies more than you will hate light offroad on street tires (you will actually love this). Get the WR250x, as a set of R wheels is easier and cheaper to come by than unicorn sumo wheels.

SaNChEzZ posted:

Good idea. Better idea: wr250x

Please do this.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Zip ties would be more appropriate. I carry some for exactly this reason. But drz so duct tape is equally appropriate.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

GriszledMelkaba posted:

gently caress I sat on one. I think I'm going to get one

Which one? One of us. One of us.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
SHOTS FIRED.

Those look so nice. Several levels above what I want to go for, but I'd be all over that if I had the cash.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Hint- You want the bike.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That depends. What was the engine work? How much is that one selling for? A picture alone isn't great to assess a bike.

Sumos that look like that break my normal "should I run from buying this bike" meter because everyone who owns a sumo mods and thrashes it by the very nature of supermotos.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Finally figured out how to do 2nd gear clutch up wheelies on the WRx today. This changes everything. Supermoto's are the best.

Also got a chance to ride a DRZ400, and was shocked at how sluggish and tractor-like it *felt* compared to the WRx.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That's why I clarified that it *felt* slower. I think they are still about on par, but the WR is far more motivated. The other rider was beside themselves at how fast my bike was, so it's not just me. It's no speed demon, but the wr250x has a modern high compression engine, vs the drz or whatever other decades old dirtbike motors, or the wr250f.

I've been trying to find something like my WR, with significantly more power, but everything I found is a huge compromise in the reliability/maintenance interval department, or costs way north of $6k. :(

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I don't think it's very nice to tempt a person to fly and ride 690smc from the midwest to Atlanta, Jazzzzz. I'm just hardcore enough to do it, too.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

GGPCin posted:

Where can I find a wiring diagram '04 SMC? I have a small problem on my rear tail lights, their wires got sawed apart. I can get everything back together I just don't know where it all goes. I can post pictures if that helps, thanks.

Edit: I got everything sorted out.

Well, here is the wiring diagram for next time.

One of the nicest things about having a supermoto is the freedom of riding style. Dipped off to play in the dirt at a moments notice, while on the way to practice wheelies. I was surprised how controllable the Pilot Streets were. They just plowed forward no matter how loose or uneven the dust was. Didn't dump it once.

Getting pretty good with my 2nd gear wheelies, too, and more comfortable riding it out for longer. I'm very happy with the progress.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 15, 2016

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Switching up from a WR250X to a 690 SMC is what I'm in the process of doing now. I think the WRx is a really fine bike, and would probably be perfectly happy if I forced myself to keep it. It's reliability makes up for a lot. That said, 690.

What I don't recommend is that 690 right there, at that price, with the issues you mentioned. Without either, I still would avoid it.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
My WR250X has always given me this terrible issue where it drains my wallet with farkles, and makes me a hooligan that doesn't respect rules and boundaries. :(

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Your problem with the DRZ is plain as day, in that picture. You have the wrong sized wheels installed! How embarrassing!

In seriousness, what don't you like about it, or want in your next bike?

Found this image while distracting myself from waiting to get my next sumo. The R is well out of my price range, but they still look so good.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That bike isn't due for a valve check yet (26,000), and your listing is about $700 too low. Toss it up there for $4000, and hold to that if you can. That thing is a steal at $3300. Great looking bike.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yeah, I just got $4000 for mine, and the guy was beside himself to get that. Sure, you'll get the usual million craigslisters who think it's worth 3300, but the fact is that it's not a Wr250f, supermotos hold value, the wrx is one of the best supermotos, and the wrx is discontinued.

Granted, it's nearing the end of the riding season, but I still think that price is way too low. They run 4000-4500 all day long here.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

BlackMK4 posted:

How terrible would it be to ride it from Portland to Phoenix.... serious post.

Literally the worst. Enjoy getting gas every hour, getting furious every time a truck passes you and cuts half your momentum, buffeting, screaming motor, and wind blast.

Do it anyway, but do back roads. The X is totally worth whatever pain it takes to get it.

That said, people use the R/X as tourers, and they are well suited for it. I think the gas range is what got me the most.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

Only reason I bring that up is the place I am trying to buy a bike now, when I offered the bike as a trade in, said the top-end was noisy and might need a valve adjustment. It might. I don't honestly know because I haven't checked the valves. The previous owner *said* he checked them at 15k and they were fine.

EDIT2: I took the valve adjustment thing out of the ad. It's a bit ticky, I wanted to weed out potential tire-kickers in case they came to see it and thought the engine made to much noise.

Yamaha themselves don't feel like the valves should even be checked for the first time until 26k, let alone adjusted. I bet you are fine. Trust me, you are about to get a string of lunatics on that bike, regardless of what you put in the listing. If you want to weed out tire kickers, just reply to people with "when would you like to schedule to come see the bike". That's it. I had so many people wasting my time talking about it, asking questions, blah blah, but at the end of the day, all of that is best done in person with the bike in front of them. They know that, and serious buyers won't even bother to do much before they see it in person.

I'm in the same boat as you, having sold my loving and perfect wrx in favor of a future german fraulein ktm. Do it if you want, just don't list that bike so low. List it high, and you will probably get it, if not, you can encourage a quicker sale when someone lowballs you 3500.

edit: Your listing is well written and entertaining, btw.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Sep 24, 2016

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Husky keeping with their tradition of never keeping a model without significant changes for more than a model year, I see. Nice to know that these will still be used market lepers in four years. What do you mean by V engine? Vtwin?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That bike is so ugly. Why is that even specia-"It weighs just 245 lbs and the motor pumps out close to 74 hp." :aaaaa:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Service intervals measured in laps.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Kim Jong ill posted:

Just got my license and bought a 2010 DRZ400SM, how long until I'm backing it in? This is very important, I need to look cool!

Going straight for the sumo for your first bike is a wise choice which I wish I had made. You will not regret it. Ride enough, and you will surprise yourself by eventually leaving corners with the back out, and not caring. Enjoy!

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm paying 87 PER MONTH on the SMC. I wish I could get these mythical low dirtbike rates. Granted, I go full coverage on all of my vehicles, always. Gieco quotes about 50/mo, but I'm not sure I want to switch from progressive.

If I have to ride a DRZ to get great insurance rates, I'd rather just pay more...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Agreed. From the other thread:

Coydog posted:

The WRx is worth it over the DRZ, hands down. Of those listed, this is the one you want:
https://portland.craigslist.org/grg/mcy/5907772441.html

It has everything you will progressively want anyway, and is intelligently modified. I can see why they WANT $4900, and with all that it's certainly worth it. That said, none of the other craigslist idiots want to pay that, so neither should you. Try $4200. With the tubliss dirt wheels included, you'd steal it at $4000.

edit: Also go into it with the realization that he has been getting $2900 low balls for the past 21 days. Be nice, show that you actually know what a WR250x is and why it's not a WR250F, and they will likely be very willing to give you a good price.

• Locked thread