Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Akbar posted:

So I've just been diagnosed with tendinitis in my foot/lower leg. Soccer season starts tomorrow and I'm signed up for 3-4 matches per week. Does anyone have experience dealing with tendinitis and could give me some tips on match prep/recovery?

I've got tendinitis in my heel, it's a bitch, and I only play 6-a-side on Sundays. Rest is the best cure, and Vinestalk is right, 3-4 games per week is gonna hurt.

Just realized I should be reading this thread more, given that I started playing Sunday league last November, (literally my first football since 2nd grade) and I've actually picked it up quite well, all things considered. Plus I'm 6'4" and 230 lbs, so I don't exactly fit the mold. (Stoke City, maybe)

My training methods are questionable though. Mostly kicking around in the backyard with my dog, Reggie.

Here he is returning a ball:

Skill balls are perfect, he can catch them out of the air and I honestly feel like it helps me when I move to a full-sized ball.

Usually I aim for one of the three brown spots there, which have been worn down by Reggie sprinting into that area. What's nice is the path on the right rounds the tree and spits the ball out the back, so when I rip a ball down that alley, it ricochets and drives the dog nuts.

The downside of practicing with a German Shepherd is that my open-field dribbling skills are pretty weak. I'm good at shielding the ball and hold-up play, (as much as there can be in an indoor field) but when I have a lot of space in front of me, I'm not the best at moving into it. I usually work from the back, making the occasional run up front.

The lawn looks like poo poo because I rent and my landlord mows once per moon cycle or something.

Either way, without a doubt the most fun I've had playing a sport. Also my footwork in the post playing basketball has improved, which is a nice bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Got mugged and pistol whipped by some assholes last Friday, missed out on Sunday league.

Hoping not to miss out again, but as someone who has never had stitches before, I don't really know how long it takes for them to heal properly. I've got 3 on my lip, and 2 inside, and 3 above my left eye. That and I had three staples near the crown of my head.

I get the staples out tomorrow and the stitches as well.

I guess my first question is does anyone have one of those Wayne Rooney headgear things, and can you overnight it to me?

In lieu of that, I won't be heading the ball, obviously, nor will anyone on my team begrudge me for it. Does anyone have an experience with coming back from getting stitched up? Would I be making a mistake here? I just really want to get back into the swing of things after ripping a disgusting belter from just inside midfield two weeks ago.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ungratek posted:

Take an extra week, it's not the end of the world. It's Sunday League, not the Premier League

Hope you're feeling better

Riven posted:

If you put any tension on those muscles you will be extremely uncomfortable. Give it at least a week or two.

Ha, I know, I'm just looking for someone else to blame when things go wrong.

I'm all good otherwise. To be honest the most annoying thing is having to tell the story over and over because I have a black eye (with blood on the eyeball too :barf:)

I'm probably not gonna risk it :smith:

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Scars healing up nicely, definitely back for this Sunday :woop:

Also picked up a new pair of boots, same as my last pair, except for the color scheme:

Old ones:

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Chas McGill posted:

Yeah, those are pretty rad, although I think they'd be better without the splash decal.

Agreed

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Missed an open goal Torres-style today.

Otherwise it was a good outing, didn't misplace too many passes.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Aw yeah, 4-0, top of the league table after a dominant 11-1 performance on Sunday.

Also my Achilles tendon is so tender I'm limping like a bastard two days later.

Worth it.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Converted a sick 1-2 goal in Sunday league this week, undefeated this session, 5-0 :woop:

What a difference having a real GK makes. We picked up this European dude (sorry, I can't tell his accent, but he looks like Simon Mignolet and Peter Schmeichel's love child) who is boss as hell in goal.

Our captain used to be our keeper most of the time and he did ok, but now that he can play in the field, we're that much better, plus we've given up 6 goals in the last 3 matches. Pretty solid stuff for 6-on-6.

I'm curious, now that the core of my team has been together since November of last year, I'm wondering how many other people here have been playing with the same or roughly the same crew for a while. All I know is that in the current session, our team is playing really cohesively and it loving owns.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My team is comprised entirely of people off the subs board, which is a collection of index cards taped to a Pepsi machine.

We've dropped crummy players and picked up better ones along the way, and our age mix is pretty solid. We've got a couple kids who played in HS and are just out of college, but most of us are between 27-32, and one guy who's in his 40's and has what I like to call "old guy moves"

You know, those types of dribbles and turns that let you know that this guy was a beast back in the day and has clearly seen it all before. Huge fan of old guy moves, me.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Aw yeah, 8-0 C League Champs :smug:

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Thirteenth Step posted:

I'm interested to know everyone's pre-match nutrition and warm ups.

I play later today and I just feel like I haven't got any energy from the start. (It's only a 30 min 6-a-side game) but I just feel sluggish from the start.

So basically I'm asking;

- what pre match food / supps do you take
- what warm ups do you do?

5-hour energy, 15 minutes of stretching

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Soulex posted:

It's not the doctor, it's my command, who is also making me come back off of convalescent leave early.

There is a system in place for me to supposedly get my money back. However, since we are a strange unit, and very small, we lack a lot of things that normal units have. Such as S-1. Because of this, I've been getting the run around on who to talk to and what not. The form I fill out says S-1, so I talk to our finance guy. He says it's command discretion (it's not) and tells me to talk to the commander. I talk to the commander and they refer me to finance on my base to figure it out. The finance office tells me to contact my finance guy in my unit.

It's a literal circle of poo poo. I've easily spent close to a thousand dollars on train tickets, gas, food and hotels since my problems have started. There really isn't anywhere else I can turn. I would love to get my money back.

So, in short, the military is loving retarded when it comes to health care. Trying to get anything done is equating to making an appointment to make an appointment, then you might not see the same provider which sucks because if you are trying to fix something and it didn't work, that provider doesn't know or care and you end up trying it again. Then you finally get a diagnosis, and referred to someone else. Then the process starts all over again until someone with enough balls finally decides to do something about it. Seriously. How long have I been talking about this poo poo, and I'm just NOW getting surgery. That's not loving normal!

K. Done ranting.

This just reminds me that the backlog for medical claims at the VA is at or near a million. Every guy looking for a vote praises soldiers in combat, but we can't get them to get their poo poo together on supporting em once they're no longer deployed. Good luck, dude.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My pre-5-a-side meal is a bagel and a 5 hour energy.

I am out of shape.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

cosmicjim posted:

I have a problem with keepers that tell me what to do when I'm sweeper unless it's a reminder to push up or it's just general heads up to make sure I know where defenders are. Do professionals have to have the keeper tell them what to do or do the defenders coordinate the poo poo among themselves or with at least on of the central ones being a captain?

Just to be clear...if defenders are letting people rip shots, then yeah gently caress those guys, but our keeper used to try to tell us to do the wrong thing all of the time.

irlZaphod posted:

A huge part of a keeper's game is helping to keep the defense organised, even in the professional game. Yeah, they should be able to do it themselves, but sometimes the keeper can have a better view to read where attacking players are going to go, and what space needs to be covered. It's a team effort, and you always need good communication. If someone's telling you that you should do something, just loving do it. The worst thing is to turn around and have a go at that player.

My five-a-side team has a pretty good keeper and he's constantly telling me when I need to make adjustments or if I'm blocking his view of the ball, or just not staying central when I need to. It frequently leads to defensive stops. I fuckin love it, I'd rather take orders and win than get mad because I might disagree with the keeper.

Also he's a Polish guy named Sev and his last name is a bunch of consonants, so I just assume he knows what he's talking about. Also the spelling of Sczezcznznzny apparently makes total sense to him, so he's clearly authentic.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Stretch.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

cosmicjim posted:

That's great and all, but if this thread is any indication, most American keepers are fat goons that play keeper because they aren't good enough for the field. :)

Yeah I love my team, we've got a sick Afghani (Afghan?) dude on our team too for a little more international flavor

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The league I'm in is 6-a-side and two players have to be female. Fortunately, we have 4 pretty good girls on our team, so it's not an issue.

That "pass to a girl on offense" rule is patronizing as hell

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Good shite

I tucked a through ball under the charging keeper in our last match, that poo poo was satisfying as hell

context: I am a defender and I am bad at one-timing shots

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

JFairfax posted:

one time for your motherfucking mind!

first time shot(s) is usually what us limeys say.

Ha, I occasionally forget that you're correct. I blame playing street hockey as a youth

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So there's this really bad team in my Sunday league called Anime United. They're sorta just in the league because the venue feels bad, I guess.

I just noticed that their captain on a Facebook page for pick-up games in my area.

:stare:

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Found a weekend mornings outdoor pick up game with a bunch of people on my local subreddit, picked up some boots on the cheap.

Trying em out at the park vs dog, it's definitely different. I've only played indoor 6 a side, but they play sevens so it should be an easier transition

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Soulex posted:

The only goal I scored that wasn't indoor footy was celebrated by a low fist pump and a smiling happy job to my waiting teammates. I didn't know how I was going to react but I guess that was it.

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. I am hoping I can get back to playing soon.

Tell us more about this smiling happy job

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Soulex posted:

Jsy got out of surgery. Apparently there was some complications.

What was suppaosed to be a short procedure ended up longer because my breathing slowed down to 6-8 breaths a minute while I was put under. I also apparently started to convulse.

Hurts worse than the other one did.

If you keep this up, we're never going to be able to complain about our minor knocks or how I limp into work on some Mondays. Good luck in recovery, dogg

This Sunday I was complete and utter trash. I misplaced several passes directly to an opponent from short distance, and had a deflection that lead directly to a goal. Also my only attempt on goal was inches away from being a sick toe-poke from 12 yards.

Granted, I had scored in the previous week and had a great game, but gently caress if I can't stop thinking about how annoying that game was for me.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Xbox One posted:

Hrm that seems dodgy. I'd rather play in a dedicated turf shoe so my foot doesn't feel like I've been playing on a platform with nails sticking out the bottom.

Turf boots are fairly inexpensive, too. I got my current pair of Nikes for 28 bucks on clearance somewhere online, and they're pretty comfortable

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Nothing worse than playing well as a team and still losing. The opposing team yesterday had two girls who apparently played semi-pro, whatever that means.

One of them hit a knuckling low shot from the right side to the bottom left corner. I honestly didn't think it was possible to hit that angle, so I didn't even bother sticking a leg out. Later in the match, the other one toe-poked a ball that just curled around our keeper, it was like when an outfielder lazily fields a fly ball and whiffs at the last second.

My most annoying shortcoming is that when I come up on offense and get a pass across the goal from left to right, I find myself more often than not blowing the conversion and hitting it with my right foot wide to the right side of the goal. Is it just the direction of my plant foot? I've converted a few, but spraying the ball wide is insanely frustrating.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Shrapnig posted:

You're hitting across the ball, not through it. Try to turn your hips towards goal when you're striking the ball. Your hips are probably wide open at the right side of goal when you're hitting the ball so you're going to push it wide.

*golf analogy*

Open clubface at impact, the ball is going right even if you do everything else perfectly.

Our keeper was saying the same thing. I'm gonna have to start practicing that more often. I have a fade in my golf swing that I've been improving on the last few years, too ha

Placement and angle were similar, but it was a more traditional run-up and our keeper said it was knuckling. Fuckin ringers, these ladies

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ephex posted:

Co-rec leagues are why America sucks at football

Shrapnig posted:

Also the NCAA.

This. Also me

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

CaptainRightful posted:

Yep, this is the worst part of pickup/rec leagues. The worst offenders are always dudes who used to play at some competitive level but are now out of shape. They don't trust anyone to receive a pass, they always dribble straight toward goal, and they lose possession when they eventually get surrounded by 3 defenders.

There's someone like that on my team, but it's sort of been slowly evolving. He used to be a great teammate and he's been sliding into selfish mediocrity lately. Two sessions ago we won all our games, last session we were 6-2, now we're 0-2. Your comment about not trusting anyone to receive a pass hit the nail on the head.

Tigren posted:

At least they always track back to help defend the ball they just lost.

THIS. loving THIS.

TheBigAristotle fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 7, 2014

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

CaptainRightful posted:

Another fun trait of many rec league players is the refusal to make any pass that isn't forward.

Well, at least all my complaints seem to be common

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm 6'4" and headers on an indoor field are hard to come by. I scored a sick one once and it was called back because we didn't let the ref get back into position for the free kick, what a joke. No advice for you though, I'm both a frequent bottler and new to the sport :(

But I'm ok on defense so whatever

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Charlotte Hornets posted:

Scored a volley from the left edge of the penalty area to the upper right corner of the goal. Will never score it again in my life, everything was perfect about my shot, dipped just in time to not hit the crossbar.

I hit one from the left side like that with my left foot on the half-volley a few sessions ago. It was easily my best goal, total luck, weak foot and all.

Today I had my best game to date, two goals, including one off a cross which has been my weakness, and one from out deep that skimmed into the bottom left corner. The most satisfying thing was playing lights-out defense, I was all over the place.

Naturally, we have a bye next week and then it's Memorial Day weekend, so I won't play again until June :mad:

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like you guys need to park the bus

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Soulex, man, you are one hard luck case. Good luck dude.

In the meantime come up with a better scar story, maybe something with sharks.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I scored a mirror-image Robben goal today cutting in from the left and drilling into the left side, it was glorious. Mostly because I'm very average and I score like 2-3 goals per 8 game indoor season. Then I got off the field and caught the last 15 minutes of Netherlands-Mexico.

Today was a good day

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So long as you're not playing like the guy in your av, you should be fine

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

fyallm posted:

Won our game yesterday 7-4 , we played out of our minds and started passing really well.

But again the stupid loving girl touch rule ruined the whole day for me. The other team passed it back to the goalie I ran after it stole it from the goalie was standing right in front of an empty net and had to just stare at it because no girl touched the soccer ball yet.... gently caress my life..

We are thinking of moving down to the lowest league because right now we either get blown out or its a close game.

That whole girl-must-get-a-touch rule is loving ludicrous

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Does Warrior make anything that's not ugly as gently caress?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bobby Digital posted:

Had a fun one tonight. I think I've talked about this team before. It's a team we're all familiar with: they start off chippy, get chippier, then cry "it's just a game!" when you start giving it back.

I loving hate people who pull that move. It feels like there's at least one team like that in every session

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My fall indoor season starts this Sunday :woop:

Also I got these for $35 bucks at my local soccer store. Yes, I know I said a few pages back that I prefer subtle shoes, but I'm an American, so I'm a hypocrite who loves a deal. Also it's hard to find a size 13

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
We play on field turf, I'm assuming they wouldn't be great for wood surfaces