Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Should have done the right calculations and reset the trip odo so that it would read 696.9 at the same time.

2 1/2 stars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I think land rovers had it in the early 2000s, but they're expensive as gently caress so it might've been more common on the "fancy" stuff vs the more mundane poo poo.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Looks pretty drat good.

Next time he gets drunk he'll be saying "well I guess he's good for something"

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Took all the poo poo out of my trunk. Fishing rod and tackle boxes, axe, hatchet, rope, hiking boots etc. and got started on cleaning. Then got really lazy after about 15 minutes. Decided that since the car needs an oil change anyway, I'd call and book the oil change and a detailing job for it cause I'm a lazy pile of poo poo. Car stays dirty till tomorrow. But tthe trunk is empty for the first time in a decade.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

STR posted:

I park over the nearest storm drain, make sure that it's marked as one that drains directly to a stream, and go to town. May as well do an oil, ATF, and coolant change while I'm at it.

don't do this. if you really think I'm doing this, no.

Don't forget power steering too.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Since when did germans start designing jags?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Got rid of the snow shoes and put on the sandals.
Also made an appointment for semi annual alignment.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

It was actually yesterday, but I got my semi-annual alignment and brake fluid/clutch flushed.
Then went to the car wash.

Of course its raining today.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Advent Horizon posted:

What’s the reason for 2 jackstands on each side in the rear?

Harbor freight :v:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

While you're at it, probably worthwhile to check that the drums are adjusted.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

KakerMix posted:

We've had an electric push-mower (the same one) for 7 years now and here is the things I've done to it:
Sharpened the blade once
Bought a new battery

Absolutely nothing else. Pull it out, slap a couple batteries in it off the charger, mow for 30-40 minutes, bust out the uses-the-same-batteries trimmer and blower. I can't think of a way this could possibly be any easier. Electric mowers own so freaking hard.

I think most of us that still have gas powered mowers still do because they're waiting for an opportunity to turbo them, or engine swap, Nitrous etc.

Advent Horizon posted:

We got rid of most grass and just use a cordless weed whacker - which takes the same batteries as the chainsaw, impact wrench, drill, router, magic wand, palm sander, and leaf blower.

Battery powered Magic wand eh? Where can I find one of those? Asking for a friend :wink:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Motronic posted:

Obviously, because if anyone other than a factory certified repair technician touches the batteries it could impact the safety and performance of the machine. :jerkbag:

Colostomy Bag posted:

Special Deere charger, phones home verifying you have enough charges left.

At least a few states are taking them on amongst others.

Since when did Apple, and Ferrari take over John Deere?
I mean Ferrari is obvious, trying to compete with Lamborghini, but Apple too?

PitViper posted:

My neighbor across the street has one of those $2000 Husqvarna electric robot mowers that runs around the yard every couple days.

Hack that poo poo and make it do this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1anW87oZVYE

Bonus points if it actually has a speaker.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 26, 2021

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Advent Horizon posted:

I don’t know anybody who likes HOAs.

People who want a reason to complain about "the coloureds" that just moved in.

"No, I'm not racist, they just don't cut their grass short enough".

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I don't have any pictures because I'm an awful photographer, and a lazy pile of poo poo, but I took my Corolla to the dealer to get a new key programmed for 65 bucks (plus the cost of the key, I forget how much that was, maybe 25 bucks) and now I can turn the lock in my trunk so that the popper can be used.

After that I went to the shop at work, removed the rear spoiler to finish touching up the paint chips that were underneath (and also not underneath) where it was mounted. Currently just ate a generic assembly line pile of filth known as a small Dominos pizza, and after it settles a bit, I'm going to get back out there and finish polishing my headlights.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

StormDrain posted:

I am once again here to report that the fumoto valve is a fantastic investment. Hook up a length of clear tubing and enjoy the cleanest, tool free oil changes of your life.

One of my drills at work has an Ezee drain or whatever the gently caress its spelled as. Picked up the little nipple that threads in to the end of it, and the spout for a jug of DEF is the perfect fit for, as you mentioned, clean and drip free oil changes.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

No. 6 posted:

How does tint save gas?

Probably keeps out some heat so less use of the a/c?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I'm a lazy pile of poo poo that doesn't like to take pictures, and its not really a cosmetic thing anyway: Finally got around to lubing the brake caliper slide pins on my Corolla.
I usually do that twice a year, whenever I put on, or remove my snow tires but I never bothered doing it in the spring. Also because I'm lazy.

Did it today finally. The rears were pretty good, and probably didn't even need it, but I did them anyway. The fronts, were kinda sticky but not terribly so. I could still twist and pull them out by hand, but they definitely needed grease.
Almost ran out of lube which would have sucked having to go to Canadian Tire to pick some up, but I could have at least taken a work truck.

Then I sat backwards and upside down in the driver's seat and hung my head over the edge to get under the dash to figure out why my clutch pedal is so squeaky and came to zero conclusions as to why.
Decided the best course of action was to spray the various moving parts with dry graphite spray and pray. Thus far it seems to have helped, but not completely eliminated the squeaking.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Can you run a can or two of seafoam through a vacuum line, and then another can or two in the fuel tank?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

PBCrunch posted:

I decided to paint my boring winter wheels (from a 1996 Lexus LS 400) a fin, bright color. I followed the instructions and sprayed a white base coat. The top coat did not like the base, even though they were from the same manufacturer (Krylon).

Result:

Hey do you still buy used cars fix them up and sell them for :homebrew:?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

PBCrunch posted:

Over the weekend I changed the front and rear pads and rotors on my wife's 2012 CR-V. A question to other owners of 2000+ Hondas with four-wheel disc brakes out there: do you have persistent issues with uneven pad wear in the rear brakes? I look after a few 5-20 year-old Hondas with rear discs and they always burn off one pad on each side while the other pad at the same wheel is only down to about 50%. Also, does your Honda wear down its rear brakes much faster than you would expect?t.

It's not a 2000+ Honda, but my 97 protege would go through rear pads faster than the front.

Which pass are wearing faster? Inboard? Outboard? Is it always the inboard or outboard pad?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

PBCrunch posted:

I can't remember. But I've changed several sets of Honda rear brake pads and the wear is never even. I think the rear brakes just need to be taken apart, cleaned, and re-greased periodically, like maybe once a year. I know for sure that on this last brake set, the slider pins would move, but they weren't exactly limber.

Sounds reasonable. I took to greasing the sliders on my Mazda every time I changed tires over in fall and spring and that definitely helped as I had the uneven wear a time or two with it. I don't think I ever had the issue with the rears on my Corolla for the last 13 years that I've had it. Doing the same twice per year.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 19, 2021

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Took the driver seat out of my Corolla to get better and more comfortable access to the underneath of my dash board to try and track down the cause of the squeaky clutch pedal.
I was going to take the pedal right off, but it seemed like quite a bit more of a pain than I thought. I disconnected the pedal from the Master cylinder pushrod, and it still squeaked. Which at least eliminated that as a culprit. There was some sort of other spring at the top of the pedal lever that seemed to hold the pedal in place.
When I would push the pedal down the spring would over centre and hold the pedal against the floor. So another possible culprit for the squeak.

The last time I hosed with this several weeks ago, I sprayed a bunch of dry graphite lube on the moving parts, but had no idea about the over centering spring up top of the pedal. I figured it was time to try something different, so I sprayed some silicone lube on the pivot point, and still no loving change.

Finally decided to try the spring at the top. No room to do anything though, let alone see where I was spraying poo poo. Even getting the can itself in to place was hard.

Luckily I'm Canadian Automotive SUPER-HACKER!
I took a couple of the small red tubes from various aerosol products (brake cleaner etc..) Got some small diameter heat shrink and shrank that poo poo over the tube.
Sure you could use tape, but thats lame as hell, and no match for AUTOMOTIVE SUPER-HACKER SKILLS!
Just make sure you don't use too much heat or you'll melt the tubes (ask me how I figured that one out).
Anyway, now that I had a longer tube, I could point it up and through a couple small holes where the lube might have gotten in to useful spots.

After giving whatever seemed like it might need it, a generous coating of lube, I worked the pedal a few times and heard no more squeaking. SUCCESS!!
I put everything back together, bolted the driver seat back down and called it a day.
Thank gently caress I finally got off my lazy rear end to fix this.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Installed an ARB recovery point in my Tacoma. Actually still doing it and just taking a break.

One of the holes was a bit misaligned so I had to drill it out just a hair bigger, and now waiting for the lovely princess auto brand paint to dry before I try again to install it and find out I need like another 1/128 of an inch to get it on there.
Gotta work nights this week so I might as well do this now, Get it installed, then get my truck ready for night drilling on railroad tracks tomorrow night. Lots of sitting around doing nothing (but getting paid double time :homebrew:) before "rush rush rush we've only got 2 hours left before our track permit expires"!@!!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

With little plastic pieces like that I always buy a few more than I need because I know drat well, I'm either going to break one, lose one or both.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

"Chain vise grips" are your best friend when strap wrenches and regular oil filter wrenches start slipping.

Assuming you have the room to swing them.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Put the A/T tires on my whip today, and put the snows away till next year.

Behold the gloriousness.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Full Collapse posted:

You're such a hero. Please keep that on the road.

Like that one craigslist post said:

quote:

Although the miles seem high there is very little wrong, the work has been done by a DSM driver of who’s dsm still runs, which speaks volumes more than some silly ASE certification.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Raluek posted:

ah yeah that's another advantage of the vortec stuff, factory roller

is your block an 86+ that has the bosses in the lifter valley for the spider? if so, you can get the dogbones and spider from a junkyard L31, throw in some new LS7 lifters, and cam of your choice, for not a ton of money

What the poo poo are these dog bones and spiders?
Is that some poo poo that makes the block stiffer?

Ninja edit: I know that cast iron is already pretty drat stiff, but maybe for like mega hp applications it could stand to be stiffer.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Thanks to both of you for explaining, I knew that roller lifters weren't supposed to spin, but I guess I've never seen them in person. And even when I see them on whatever tv show, I've only seen the aftermarket type with the bars holding them together/preventing them from spinning.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Its not my ride. Just my drill.
Actually its my boss's drill I just run the thing.

Also I'm an awful photographer

Tailpipe had a crack in it. Didn't get any before pics of the crack, or from before I started taking things apart because I'm lazy.

From the other side. Its supposed to be "soundproof". Though its not that loud really. We've got other machines that are worse.

Fuel tank sitting on the floor.

Behind the alternator is the muffler with the "cap" off of it. The cap contains the tailpipe. Its held on by a clamp and can be turned various directions to point the tail pipe in whatever
direction might be better depending on application. Score +1 for Hatz! It was a real motherfucker to get off and back on though.

Tig welds

Had to macgyver up a new system to clamp that bitch. The old one broke, and caused the tailpipe to vibrate back and forth, thus causing the crack.

Tower barely is short enough to fit inside the shop all the way up.

While I was in there, changed a fuel filter too. Should have been done a few weeks ago, but It was in a bad spot. - 1,000,000 for hatz!!
Also, fuel, other fuel, air and oil filter for this thing FOUR HUNDRED AND TWENTY (SMOKE TREEZ ER'RY DAY) DOLLARS!!
And only seem to be found at the Fuckin Hatz dealer!
Minus another million points for FUCKIN HATZ!!
At least the oil only needs to be done every 500 hours

I'm saying gently caress this for the day, and putting everything back together on Monday.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 27, 2022

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

BigPaddy posted:

My wife’s old VW Tiguan had to have some body work done as she hit a post. The guy took the door off and noticed that the auto up/down harness was disconnected so checks the other side and yep it is not plugged in either. Turns out that if you have the package with auto up abs down windows all they do it plug the wires in while it is being built.

Makes me wonder sometimes, how much poo poo is in cars and trucks these days for options that weren't installed/available on a specific trim level.

Like is there one body wiring harness for everything and then the factory adds (motor for X feature, sensor for Y feature) and so on for example.

My truck on specific option packages comes with a locking rear diff. I've wondered sometimes if the wiring is there and I just need to install a few mechanical bits and pieces, and a switch in the cab and not have to hack the poo poo out of the wiring harness et-al because there is already wiring there for it.

Probably not, but a guy can dream.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

BigPaddy posted:

I know that for older Tacomas you just swap in the entire e locker axel and the harness already has the provisions for it.

No kidding eh?

I wonder if it has a separate switch or if it engages automatically when you put it in 4 low?

My work has a couple first gen tundras with the off road package and (presumably) they would have a locker in the back. But I don't see any buttons specifically to lock the rears. Unless its hidden somewhere to prevent accidental engagement.

I don't know poo poo about poo poo, but I feel like there would be *some situations* where locking the rear in either 2wd or 4 high would be of benefit, and having it unlocked while in 4 low would be helpful. Something that wouldn't be possible if it locked automatically only when put in to 4 low, but like I said at the beginning of my previous sentence.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I mean Max Power's team was the perfect representation of car culture at the time so it makes sense.
He's a man with a name people would love to touch but you mustn't touch it.

Keep in mind too that his name sounds good in your ear, but if you hear it you mustn't fear because his name can be said by anyone.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

STR posted:

Of course, the Matrix dropped one of the heat shields. It has 4 bolts - 3 up front that go through plastic inserts, 1 in the back that goes into a metal nut in a plastic bracket, which snaps into the gas tank. Made one hell of a racket, as heat shields tend to do when they're resting on the exhaust.

Everything I could find online was about the heat shields rusting out around the bolts (Toyotanation forums people think it's galvanic corrosion). That wasn't what happened here. The heat shield looks pretty much new. The bracket looked new once I got the bolt out of the heat shield. But the plastic tabs it snaps into on the plastic gas tank broke off. :sigh:

Luckily, it hugs the gas tank strap. Zip ties to the rescue. I know I'll have to revisit this, particularly since I just used a couple of zip ties I found on the garage floor (I would have preferred a thicker one in the middle). Had to bench press the (full) gas tank up slightly to get a zip tie around the strap. But the heat shield is back in place.

I was fully expecting to break at least one bolt, but everything came apart with hand tools, no penetrating oil. I'm sure I'd need penetrating oil if I dropped the exhaust, but I was able to bend the shield enough to get access to the tank. This thing is stupid clean for a 2005..

I've got an '09 Corolla and the heat shield was rattling. Same deal, rusted out around the nut and washer. Tried to weld something to something else that I can't even remember what or why and screwed up the original nut. I cut off a short piece of aluminum round bar, drilled and tapped it for something small like m6 filed a couple of flats in to it so I could get an adjustable wrench on it and put that bitch up there. For the next few months it was " I should really put a more permanent fix up there", but I don't know how many years it's been. Still no rattles

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Its not quite as old as some of y'all's stuff but my almost 14 year old Corolla has had the headlight bulbs replaced (with HIR bulbs) and has gone through several pairs over the years, but other than that I've only replaced one brake light bulb and that was.......3 years ago? Everything else, turn signals, other brake/tail light, all original.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Suburban Dad posted:

It'll be faster the next time, at least. :suicide:

Yeah, you know what tools, sizes etc you need. No going to the tool box 15 times because you got the wrong poo poo.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I'm pretty bad with taking pictures until something is already finished.

Its a little bit late, but a few weeks ago my Corolla celebrated it's 14th birthday, and a few days ago was 14 years of me having this thing so today I: polished the driver side headlight that was yellowing, gave the interior a good once over (it wasn't that bad to begin with) and gave it its first hand washing and drying in uuuuuuhhhhhhh a while.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Is that an XRS? Is it the 6-speed?

Yes and no.
They only came with a 5 speed. Or they only did in '09.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Yeah, maybe I have bad taste because Toyota
Appliance car and all, but it's still a fun car to throw around corners

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Well at least you don't need a new tire.