Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Jet Jaguar posted:

I really loved the warchive and the combat armor of Revelation Space. Speaking of Reynolds, I have most of his Conjoiner/Demarchist short fiction in various Dozois "Year's Best Science Fiction" anthologies, but have they ever been published as a whole?

Yeah his short stories have been published in their own compilations. You can look up his Wikipedia page for the titles, I think Galactic North is one of them.

Shampoo posted:

I found the beginning of Revelation Space to be pretty slow, but rest assured things get better from there. I would almost say you can skip Revelatio. space entirely and not lose out on much. I preferred the second book, Chasm City much more.

Revelation Space starts off slow but I think it'd be silly to skip Part 1 of 3 and read Chasm City instead, which is actually just a one-off book set in the same universe/time period.

Morlock posted:

Peter Hamilton's Night's Dawn trilogy. Great fun except for an incredibly sucky ending that was actually telegraphed all through the books. Except I thought it couldn't possibly be that crap and obvious. Fool that I was. It was worse. He's written other space operas too, but I'm staying off him so someone else will have to oblige.

I HATED the Night's Dawn trilogy, and after I finished it I was pretty much certain that Peter Hamilton was a terrible half-assed pulp writer. However, I found the Commonwealth Saga marginally better and am actually really enjoying the first book of The Void Trilogy.

For those who've read the Commonwealth books: I never really bought the idea that people are so comfortable with the idea of re-life. How could you possibly get around the fact that a clone with an older set of your memories isn't at all a continuation of your consciousness but instead more like having a twin that starts where you left off? The people in these books are completely comfortable with taking risks because in the end they'll just get re-lifed anyway.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jun 8, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Velius posted:

I don't recall people being sanguine about death due to re-lifing. That's not really a spoiler in any event, the concept of re-lifing is a pretty basic premise to the universe.

They absolutely are. In the book I'm reading right now, killing someone or dying is no problem because "they'll just get re-lifed anyway."

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Velius posted:

Vinge's Marooned in Realtime is more space-mystery than space opera, but it's also good stuff. Pity The Peace War is at least somewhat a prerequisite, since it's really not up to the standards of his other works.

That series is really bizarre. The difference in scale between the first book and the second is quite a jump - from near future to megayears in the future.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

DanceRobot posted:

I don't get the hate for Consider Phlebas. What I always thought would be awesome would be to have someone who knew absolutely nothing about the culture series or that such a series even existed (since that would give them a hint as to the outcome of the novel) and let them read it. Horza's feelings give the impression that the Culture are completely deserving of his hate and are on the verge of losing the war. Plus you never really expect a protagonist in a scifi novel to be on the losing side.

Yeah I don't understand the other guy's opinion. I've just started reading it - So the protagonist hates the Culture? Ok?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I just finished the third book in David Brin's Uplift Series, and I find it incredibly disappointing that he chose to write about a parallel event rather than continue the tale of the Streaker's return home. Not only that, but after checking out Wikipedia it seems that the next three books barely even touch on it until the 6th book. Is this correct? Should I keep reading even though book 3 barely held my attention because I was so curious about what happened in book 2?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hobnob posted:

Most people (me included) find the second Uplift trilogy (Brightness Reef etc.) rather weaker than the first books. The plot doesn't advance very fast, and the big reveal at the end doesn't seem all that significant. Unfortunately though Brin is good at creating tension from darkly-hinted mysteries, he's not so good when he actually has to answer those mysteries. (Some of his short stories show the same effect.)

That's a shame, because he definitely could've used some great recurring characters from the first novel and kept up with the McDevitt-style mysteries-in-space theme.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Paul Kemp posted:

Regarding the Brin's two Uplift trilogies, I agree that the first is much stronger than the second. However, if you're not a completist or have limited time for reading, you can easily skip Sundiver from the first trilogy. It does give you a bit of back story but nothing that isn't explained clearly in Startide Rising and The Uplift War. I'm not sure what order the former two are actually meant to be read in (IIRC they take place concurrently) but both of them are absolutely amazing and I can't recomend then highly enough. Startide Rising is probably my favorite SciFi book of all time.

The second trilogy is very forgettable and I honestly don't remember much about it other than the big reveal at the end which wasn't really that big a deal either. Honestly I think I'd rather if they had never been written as Startide in particular would have been better off with the open ending that it had.

Can you describe what the big reveal is?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Toadsniff posted:

A fellow McDevitt fan, maybe you can recommend some of his books to me. So far I have only read Seeker and Polaris. But he has so many other ones as well.

It'd be easier to say which ones to avoid, since most of McDevitt's books follow the same sort of formula. The Devil's Eye, his most recent one, is disappointing because the big mystery is astonishingly lame once you figure it out, but the story up to that point is pretty decent.

Since you've only read Seeker and Polaris, I'd recommend the Priscilla Hutchins books (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_McDevitt) because they offer a different viewpoint on the same universe, with Priscilla being a starship pilot instead of an antiquities dealer.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

General Battuta posted:

This is definitely self published. I always feel like that should be flagged.

I'm pretty upset that because I bought a few (mostly excellent!) self published books my Amazon recommendations page is completely ruined by a torrent of the worst self published poo poo imaginable.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I was ok with the ending to The Great North Road. I think he should really just stick to single novels rather than epic series, although I understand the temptation.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The books are dumb as hell but I still spend a few nights a year reading the newest one for its 100 pages of actual content.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

syphon posted:

Someone else recommended Peter Hamilton's Commonwealth series, and I have to +1 that (even though I think it's a little politics-heavy).

His later books go in the direction you described with over-the-top technology, but I really enjoyed the level of technology Hamilton put into the Commonwealth series. The entire world is based on 2 key technological concepts:
1) FTL travel via wormholes.
2) Being able to 'back up' someone's brain, and then 'restore' it onto a clone-grown body.

I think the most enjoyable part for me was his diverse cast of characters and settings, and exploring how the technology affected their lives. For example, there were practically 0 spaceships at the beginning of the series (since wormholes were all on planets), so interstellar travel is all on trains + wormholes. It made it feel approachable and familiar.

Also, the 'rejuvenation' of a brain backup+restore is really interesting. The super-rich go on life threatening vacations with high fatality rates (because who cares about dying?) while the poor toil for 40-50 years just to be able to afford a rejuvenation (only to repeat the whole process). Prison is almost pointless, so people are punished by having their body killed and their brain locked up in a data center somewhere for 50-100-500 years. They've effectively cured death.

Anyway, I geeked out pretty hardcore over his tech and universe, which is why I recommend it so much. :)

I don't think his books talk nearly enough about the problem of having people accept or ignore the fact that they're still dead if they die.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

General Battuta posted:

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh I can never resist engaging with this stupid, endless discussion: the whole 'uploading/teleportation is death, He's Only A Copy' myth is a product of a fundamental misunderstanding of consciousness and the materialism of the mind.

No way, dude. These people are storing copies of themselves made months ago. You ain't gonna handwave that away by claiming it's a fundamental misunderstanding of how consciousness works, and regardless of that there's still the issue of having people accept it.

Like, I have trouble believing that some rich dude is ok with parachuting into a volcano because "It's ok, I have a backup I made 2 years ago stored 80 light years away".

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 9, 2013

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

General Battuta posted:

So the important clarification to make, I guess, and what I should've opened with rather than that bit of polemic, is this - brain uploading like that in the Commonwealth series allows continued life, but does not prevent death. The real you has died, but the real you will also live on; the two are no longer mutually exclusive.

If it resembles a belief like "If I die, then my descendents will carry on my legacy" (but much stronger) then I'm cool with that.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Expanse series really should have been just two books. It started off strong and could've wrapped things up with a sequel, but now we've got a hexology that the authors don't seem to know how to deal with.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

They hosed him up by killing him off instead of Holden, so now he's just a voicepiece for the alien whatever and it's totally lame.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That sentence is hosed.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sojourn posted:

I know this is from a page ago but I recently found a couple books that were OK. Some of the political stuff was a little over the top (though I think it was on purpose), but if you just want a fun book with explosions they aren't too bad.

Terms of Enlistment by Marko Kloos
This one starts off strong(ish) and gets worse the further it goes along, though it never gets out and out bad.Kid enlists to get out of the slums, ends up putting down riots in the same kind of slums he came from. Second half goes weird with aliens though.

Poor Man's Fight by Elliot Kay
Starts off weaker than the end of the book(but isn't bad), gets better as it goes along. Kid enlists because he botches some exit exams that determine how much money he owes the state after graduation and he can't earn a living any other way. Stereotypical boot camp scenes ensue. poo poo happens and it turns into Die Hard in space in the second half of the book. Has a really well done pirate story arc that it switches to occasionally to cover your ships with lasers quotient.

Both books are fun, but definitely not literature by any stretch of the imagination. Poor Man's Fight is (in my opinion) the better of the two just because the action ramps up as the book goes along instead of starting off strong and just kinda turning meh like Terms of Enlistment does.

Definitely agree with you, both of those books are really fun. Half of Poor Man's Fight is a god drat slaughterhouse.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

General Battuta posted:

No you're not, general consensus is that it's a bad introduction. No reason not to begin with Player of Games.

It's a good book and if you plan on continuing with the series (which you normally would after a good first book) I don't see what the problem is supposed to be.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hedrigall posted:

Read The Icarus Hunt instead, which is a standalone and totally awesome.

This book was fun as hell. Zahn writes some good one-offs.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hedrigall posted:

This may absolutely shock and astound you, so be ready for your world view to be shattered forever, but sometimes books come out in the US later than other countries.

Did he hit a nerve or something?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

MarksMan posted:

Where would you guys recommend starting with in the "Star Wars" series of books? There seems to just be an endless number of them and spin-off's, it's a little overwhelming trying to decide where to begin.

Timothy Zahn

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

MarksMan posted:

After using the powers of Google/Wikipedia, are you guys referring to the "Thrawn Trilogy":

Heir to the Empire (1991)
Dark Force Rising (1992)
The Last Command (1993)

Or these too?

Hand of Thrawn series
Specter of the Past (1997)
Vision of the Future (1998)

Other Star Wars novels
Fool's Bargain (1 February 2004)
Survivor's Quest (2004)
Outbound Flight (2006)
Allegiance (2007)
Choices of One (2011)
Scoundrels (January 2013)

Sure. Thrawn Trilogy foremost I guess. Zahn always wrote a bunch of non-Star Wars novels that are also really good.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I finished Cibola Burn a couple days ago and thought it was an improvement. I still didn't like it as much as the first book, but I think it benefited from not focusing so much on Holden.

FordPRefectLL posted:

I really enjoy the books but I thought Elvi was a terrible character and at the end Miller dying got rid of my favorite character. The Elvi Needs A Good Hard Dicking subplot was awful.

They only got rid of the way Miller communicated with Holden through the ship, Miller's still stored in the alien thing in the center of the gate things.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

kalleth posted:

So I'm reading the Spinward Fringe series (https://www.goodreads.com/series/55775-spinward-fringe) at the moment, and drat if they're not as engrossing as the Lost Fleet series. Surprised I've not seen them mentioned

I like them, they've got a bit more worldbuilding in them than the Lost Fleet stuff too... though they're not literary by any stretch of the imagination.

Shooty space battles, pirates, clones? Yes please.

I thought they were pretty great back when I read them a few years ago. I keep meaning to reread them since the author's put out a lot more in the meantime.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

It's not really space opera, but I started reading The Martian. I'm about a quarter through and I'm really hooked. Though I have no idea how it's going to work as a movie.

If 127 Hours worked as a movie why wouldn't The Martian?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cardiac posted:

Also, Asher is hardly fascist. He qualifies for the Bechdel test better than most authors as seen in the last book.

What the hell

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm reading The Forever War ... no drone weapons,

Doesn't the book describe space combat as being conducted entirely by drones?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Question about the neural network thing that came up in Poseidon's Wake:

Reynolds says that any being with effectively unlimited processing power is in danger of replacing its "feedback networks" with "feed forward" networks and losing its consciousness. He never explains what the benefits of feed forward networks are, though, just that it's extremely expensive to replace feedback networks with them. I figure it has to do with faster information processing, but is that right? No idea why this is bugging me so much.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I think most of the Niven/Pournelle books fit the bill, and Ben Bova's novels are pretty fun takes on near future exploration.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

WarLocke posted:

So I just finished Use of Weapons.

God drat, Banks. 'Chairmaker' indeed. :smithicide:

When I told a friend to read that book I said it had a really good chair in it.

I'm glad he went into it completely confused about what the hell a chair had to do with anything.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Reason posted:

I did not like Aurora.

I'm like 75% through it and it seems like kind of a mess of a book that can't decide what it wants to be about. I also feel like Robinson kind of glossed over the first planetfall part, so it comes across as if the colonists didn't even try to solve their problem before running away. They just spent 170 years flying to this planet, and they give up on it within what feels like 5 pages of text..

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

thehomemaster posted:

Y'all joking, right?

Welcome to KSR, I guess it's personal taste. None of it was thrown together though, and I suppose it wasn't fun? But hey, again, personal I guess. I mean, if you missed the whole narrative voice of a computer being a computer, then no one can help you. And you can't really say the in-depth stuff was boring then turn around and say stuff was glossed over. Did they even say what happened to Iris, I don't think it mattered anyway.

It knows exactly what it wants to be about, how can you miss it? And I hardly see how he glossed over something he went into quite stringent detail about, such as the geography and how they overcame it. Also, the problem they have to overcome is, uh, pretty much unsolveable for their intended goals. How the gently caress can you say 5 pages of text when a literal revolution took place before a decision was made?

What I'm saying is I just understand either of you.

The "revolution" was over the decision to leave or settle on the Iris, not Aurora (with a sentence mention of people researching a way to 'fix' Aurora in the future), and it seemed a foregone conclusion from the beginning that the two camps would go their separate ways. I'd say Kim glossed over the settlement of the planet in two ways: he didn't do a great job of showing how invested they were in staying on the planet, and he didn't do a great job of showing how the people tried to solve the issue of a mysterious pathogen. He decided to portray that through the research of a single character and talked about how years and years of decisionmaking were devoted to the question of leaving the system or settling on the airless planet but not to coming up with a way to live on Aurora, so to me, personally, it seemed as if nobody really cared that much. Was the problem actually unsolvable? I can see how, but the book didn't do much to convince me.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 10, 2015

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

thehomemaster posted:

They were dealing with an unknown pathogen (no even strictly bacterial/viral) so yes it's pretty clearly an almost impossible problem to solve.

Using lasers to send spaceships to distant stars is a difficult problem, too. What about the pathogen problem was so plainly an unsolvable issue? The single person researching it couldn't figure out if it even existed - why not? Why wasn't inoculation or eradication a short or medium term possibility? Why did the passengers so quickly decide that their years were better spent deciding how to making a habitat work on Iris rather than staying in orbit around Aurora?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

thehomemaster posted:

Did you even read the book?

Unnecessary.

I get it. I agree with everything you just wrote in your post. My posts have been about how poor of a job KSR did of convincing me that the problems on Aurora were so significant. The problems of the decaying environment aboard the ship were much more visceral and convincing, and I think he did a great job making me feel the despair the inhabitants must have felt as their numerous stop-gap methods failed one-by-one to fix an extraordinarily complex biological relationship that they plainly were under equipped to handle. The author did a far better job showing me the dire situation of the ship than the dire situation of the planet, which I felt he !!!! GLOSSED OVER !!! Given what happened on the return trip to Earth, I understand that the passengers didn't have the slightest idea of how to manage their own ecosystem, much less a brand new planet's, so I get why they had issues. I just think there was much less effort on their part to work with the planet, and on KSR's part to describe why it was such a problem..

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Aug 10, 2015

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

thehomemaster posted:

Yeah fair enough, sorry for the outburst.

And yes fair enough on your point. Maybe I just can't see how he could have really brought out more in that section? Like, is it necessary? I thought the scene with Euan dying was pretty powerful tbh, really haunting and beautiful. Then again maybe KSR had his agenda and wanted to get on with it.

Maybe it isn't necessary to elaborate on the destination if the point is to describe the journey (ha ha, an old concept), but poo poo, it wasn't just a journey for the people on the ship but a journey for their parents, and their parents' parents. KSR might have his agenda but I think he left some debts unpaid. Ultimately I wouldn't call it a major criticism, and I'll recall judgment about the book "not knowing what it wants to be" until I've thought about it some more.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Blitter posted:

Alright, yeah, it's clearly waay too much effort to you know, flip the book open and see the giant loving list of books previously written in the Polity world. Prador? Gosh, no chance that they were you know, developed in the previous books or anything.

Anyways, thanks for posting your dumb poo poo, so I know to take your view on any other book with the grain of salt it deserves.

Why are you acting like a huge baby

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

mcustic posted:

Greg Bear's The Forge of God/Anvil of Stars is an extremely depressing duology that is also his best work IMO. The less I tell you about it, the more you'll enjoy reading it.

I just finished the second book and I didn't find it all that depressing in the larger sense. It's implied that there are quite a few surviving and thriving interstellar societies, even ones involving multiple races. It just sucks for the folks living near the bad part of the stellar neighborhood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Lord Hydronium posted:

Cibola Burn is a bit of an odd man out, and the closest thing the series has to a standalone. The next two books are a lot more focused on the near future space opera stuff.

I have no clue what direction the author is trying to take with the series anymore. They started off with some great space horror then transitioned into a galaxy-spanning colonization extravaganza and then went "oh hey never mind lol" over the last two novels. Admittedly, I'm only 65% of the way through the latest one.

Maybe they should go the Lost Fleet route and spin off into 3 different series that I lose track of and stop reading.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 2, 2017

• Locked thread