Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Does anyone have any advice on pill pockets that might work for a cat who doesn't like the Greenies pockets? The vet just started our cats on antihistamine tablets for allergies, but one of them doesn't seem to like the Greenies (the standard chicken kind) at all. He won't eat them voluntarily and will spit them out when we attempt to force-feed him; he's a skittish cat by nature anyway, and we worry this is causing him undue suffering. Obviously, we'd like to find a brand/flavor of pill pocket that he might like enough to eat on his own, although any other advice to make pill-giving painless (and, y'know, actually get the pills in him) would be very appreciated.

In case it's relevant: he's a 5-year-old DSH, and his name is Luke. He's a dapper little fellow, even if not terribly well-photographed here:

Thanks in advance for your help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Anyone know anything about congenital pulmonary defects in cats? We took our cat Luke (8 years old, standard domestic shorthair) into the vet for a leaky eye and reduced appetite, and the vet noticed he was breathing heavily and did X-rays, with a tentative diagnosis of bronchopulmonary dysplasia. I've had a terrible time finding any information about this or what it might mean online, and the vet didn't say anything about future directions besides that we should do what we can to keep him eating, since he also came into the vet dehydrated. At this point, we're mostly concerned about a long-term prognosis and how we can improve Luke's quality of life. We plan to consult with the vet again after the long weekend, but it'd be good to know more even before then.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

HelloSailorSign posted:

Unfortunately there isn't a lot out there on BPD in cats; and there's no specific treatment, either. The trouble comes when bubbles form in lung (called pulmonary bulla) that can rupture and lead to air escaping the lungs and being in the chest, but outside the lungs (pneumothorax); also from just having a wonky respiratory system (as your cat probably has). Some papers talk about that if problems arise then surgery is required to remove the problem lung lobe with the ruptured bulla.

Thing is, you can't predict if or when a bulla will rupture. Not eating shouldn't necessarily be a sign of it, especially if there was no major pneumothorax identified on rads. There then might be something else entirely going on; once that's dealt with, it's something to know that BPD is present.

IF you notice sudden respiratory problems, then it could be the BPD flaring/a pneumo forming and thus an ER visit with rads is in order.

I appreciate this, and I agree that I don't think BPD is behind this (and am a little disappointed the vet didn't really address the issue we brought him in for). It sounds like this is just something we should be aware of as part of his health makeup and be ready to get him to the vet if he starts breathing poorly?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

On the subject of (extremely) sick cats: one of our cats (the same one I posted about a couple of weeks back, who has bronchopulmonary dysplasia) went back to the vet today, and new X-rays reveal there's a large mass in his lung, one that wasn't visible at all two weeks ago. There's not really much we can do for him besides pain management, and I imagine we'll probably be euthanizing him within the week, before he has to suffer much longer. His quality of life is already low -- he's breathing hard, not really eating, and mostly hiding. It's not really a surprise at this point that his health issues are end-of-life, even if it's still hard to deal with it.

I apologize if this is a crazy cat lady question, but does anyone know a decent way to keep a nervous, timid cat happy and comfortable on a final vet journey like this? Luke is incredibly timid, and while I could bear taking him to the vet otherwise, I'm not sure I can deal with the thought of dragging him out of a hiding place, into the carrier, and into the car just so he can die in an environment he clearly fears. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like our vet offers house-call euthanasia. Is there anything we can do? Obviously, we'll be there to comfort him when it actually happens, but I worry that's not going to be enough, and I really can't bear the thought of his dying terrified.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Huntersoninski posted:

Can you afford the services of a vet that comes to your home for euthanasia? I know a couple vets in my area do - if your vet doesn't offer that service they could maybe send a referral to another vet in town who does.

Yeah, I'll call them and see if they can do any referrals for in-home. Barring that, TolltheHounds's pre-sedation seems like it'd help a lot. Thanks.

EDIT: And for the record, no, I don't plan to put this off any longer than I have to. I'm going to talk to my boyfriend about the situation tonight and see what he wants to do/if he wants to take a half-day off work to be there, but after that I figure we'll make plans ASAP, because the last thing I want is to dither over it and let Luke suffer.

Antivehicular fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 2, 2015

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yesterday my boyfriend and I brought a new cat home. Introductions to our other cat have been going well (a little hissing from our new girl, but our 6-year-old dude has been a perfect gentleman), but a new problem arose tonight. Rosemary, our new kitty, is a medium/long-hair with a lot of fluff, and that fluff is leading to butt hygiene problems. Tonight we got to attempt to cut some crap out of her butt fur, which was exactly as much "fun" as it sounds, and we've already caught her butt-dragging to try and clean herself off. She's a very sweet cat, but this is a bad situation for us and for her.

To echo the old thread title: what can we do to get our cat to clean her butt better? She's still pretty young, about 14 months old: will she get better at hygiene as she ages, or is this a long-term problem for cats with longer fur? (Neither of us have owned a long-haired cat before.) Should we be getting her butt fur groomed regularly?

As penance for asking a butt-hygiene question, here are some photos of Rosemary exploring our place:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

cash crab posted:

I agree with the trimming. Also, occasionally wipe the area with a damp paper towel; I did this with one of the girls and she eventually picked up on how to do it herself (that or she was sick of me doing it).
Thankfully, she's definitely trying to clean herself; I think the fur is an impediment, but she definitely has the "clean your dang butt" instinct somewhere in there, although right now it seems to be overwhelmed by "hey, you should go sniff this novel object or go trill until you figure out where the humans are!" We'll still probably be doing this when she needs it, though, because ew, stank-cat.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

We also know some folks who have a cat on kitty Prozac (or kitty Valium, I forget which), and it's taken her from "basically intolerable" to "a bit of a cranky old lady but happy and comfortable enough." They have a pharmacy custom-formulate it into a cream they can rub into her ears, which seems to work well.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

meristem posted:

Tinycat update.

He's been to the vet. Apparently, there's nothing terribly wrong with him so far (besides his size). He's "ballooned" to 200 grams. Also, apparently, he's an anime:

He never blinks, which is... vaguely disconcerting, to have these huge eyes follow you around. (He's, in general, kind of slow - to see him yawn is a rarity.) Hence my question - should I water his eyes for him (with saline solution?) , or just leave him be?

I'm not a vet, but he should have nictating membranes/clear "third eyelids" that means he doesn't technically need to blink. I'd talk to your vet about it if you're concerned, though?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Does anyone know the likely prognosis on feline bladder stones? One of my parents' cats is going to be operated on for those quite soon, and I'm a little worried about him. He's a terrible little furgoblin, but, y'know, he's a family furgoblin.

In better news, Rosemary the Butt-Cat is coming up on her two-week move-in anniversary and has not had a butt incident since! She is sweet and lovey and apparently attending to her hygiene properly. Good cat.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

my cat is norris posted:

Hi!

What's the best carrier I can get to move a cat from California to Pennsylvania? She is a very pretty cat, and a very sweet cat, and deserves the most comfortable version of this harrowing experience that I can provide.

I don't know about long-haul travel, but my cats seem very happy with our new soft-sided carrier, one of the ones that look like a modified duffel bag. I don't think they have built-in food/water receptacles, though, which I imagine is an issue for you.

Antivehicular fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 11, 2015

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

demota posted:

Thanks for the sympathies, everyone. I looked it up and this kind of reaction happens 0.24% of the time. Which is not the same as 0%.

I don't know how long it'll be before I pick up another cat or kitten. I'll definitely get her spayed, but it's going to be extremely hard to do that without feeling like something awful is going to happen.

I'm really sorry for your loss. To echo Britt Burns, why not adopt a kitten or older cat who's already been fixed? Most animal shelters will have their animals spayed or neutered before they're sent home with adopters, and any of them older than a couple of months will probably be fixed before you even meet them. That way, you can adopt an animal with no surgery on the horizon and hopefully be less anxious.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

kreyla posted:

Guys, GUYS. I just got my first post-graduate-school job, which means that I FINALLY can have kitties of my own! I am so excited. SO EXCITED. I have lurked in this thread for many years learning about how best to spoil me some kitties. My Amazon wishlist of supplies will finally be purchased!

Here's my question. My job is in a "farming community", which I have been assured has plenty of cats around. Previously, I had planned on adopting two shelter cats, but... should I just ask around for two farm cats now? The town is small, so the nearest shelter is quite a ways away. Any thoughts?

Congrats on the job! As for cats, I'd lean towards the shelter, personally, as long as it's not a totally awful distance away. Farm cats might work out if they're kittens, but older farm cats are likely to be relatively poorly socialized and probably worse indoor pets than shelter cats would be. (I assume you want indoor pet cats? If you're getting a rambling farmhouse and want mousers, that's a different story.) Shelter cats will also have been seen by a vet and possibly pre-fixed/wormed/etc., which I can basically guarantee farm cats won't be.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

IuniusBrutus posted:

I've had her for just over a week now, and am taking her for her first vet appointment tomorrow. She's very comfortable around me, but super skittish and scared in general. What is the best way to get her into her carrier for the appointment? I have a hard-sided one that opens on top. Should I put her in there with her shelter blanket? Or is it best I don't in case she has an accident? And should I lure her in with food, or just drop her in through the top? She doesn't like being held, but doesn't fight. Just don't want to stress her out more than I have to.

Unless you have a lot of time to kill or an unusually pliable cat, I would probably just pick her up and not try anything fancy with lures. Leave her blanket in for comfort; if she does have an accident, it can always be laundered and given back so she can re-scent-mark it. I wouldn't worry a ton about an accident, though -- most cats will be irritated or anxious about the vet visit, but few will actually lose continence because of it.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

Counterpoint: Cookie pooped himself on the way back from his first vet visit.

Oh, sure, it can happen. My boyfriend's family cat apparently used to spend every car ride frantically ejecting matter from every possible orifice. It's just not universal, is all!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Puppy Galaxy posted:

I came home an hour ago and can't find my cat. He's indoors and I live in an apartment with two roommates. Every time I shake his treat bag he comes running from wherever he is, but not tonight. Bedroom doors are open. Hiding spots checked. All very strange. Hope he's not dead!!!!

The last time this happened around here, he turned out to be sleeping in a paper bag. Diagnosis: cat.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Deteriorata posted:

There's a good chance Tinycat had a genetic defect that made him susceptible to respiratory infections and other health issues. You're not a magician or a god. You did what you could. You gave him as much happy life as you or anyone else was able.

I know it feels like you failed, but you gave him life when he had no other chance. Be glad for what you did rather than beating up on yourself for what you couldn't. Thank you for sharing Tinycat with us.

Seconding this. It sounds like the deck was stacked against Tinycat from the beginning and that there was nothing to be done except to give him a good life, which you did. You got him through some very rough times and let him live long enough to explore, play, and be loved, and that matters.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Organza Quiz posted:

Pepper is short for Peppermint! It would be Pepper and Cammi or something usually. It's true that Pepper and Peridot sounds really good though.

My parents had a Cammie-cat for ten years, although for her it was short for Camellia. Good cat, good name.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Sypher posted:

Well, I am officially a cat owner. I adopted the cat I posted a couple pages back. I went out and got all the supplies and brought the cat over approximately 4 hours ago.

She explored my apartment thoroughly; however, for the past 1.5 hours she has been sitting underneath my lay-z-boy. I know hiding is pretty typical of cats.. . but I would prefer it if she didn't pick under the lay-z-boy as her go to spot. I am worried she will get hurt if I rock it too fast without knowing she is under there.

Is she hiding because she is in an unfamiliar place? Or is this going to be a regular thing? Should I attempt to deter her from hiding under there now so that it doesn't become a regular thing?

Some cats are naturally very hide-y, but pretty much all cats will hide when they're in an unfamiliar place -- you may just have to see how it goes. Right now, you probably want to give her a little time, but later you can work on encouraging her to be out more.

Is there any way you can make the recliner inaccessible to her? Unrecline it and move it it so it's up against the wall/other furniture, maybe?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Blackchamber posted:

Been wanting to find a cat for a long while, finally moving into an apartment building that allows them, and so I started looking more seriously: man this is tough. I feel bad reading the stories about where these cats are coming from, or how long they've been waiting to be adopted, lots of sob stories that make me want to adopt all of them. Of course I can't, and I don't want to pick a cat based on pity. Its kind of discouraging and it almost makes me want to stop looking.

edit: also god drat, the names they give these cats. Theres like a million Cleos or Cleopatras or Miss Cleos out there.

The best idea is just to meet the cats in person! Most humane societies will let you walk in and hang out with adoptable cats, and you won't really know if you and a cat are a good fit together until you've spent a little time together. You may also want to talk to a shelter employee about your needs/desires re: cats and help them guide you towards cats with appropriate personalities.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Mister Kingdom posted:

Speaking of the Humane Society, what's the procedure in getting a pet there? I've heard stories of them being overly particular in who they let adopt.

It varies by individual shelter, but by and large the questionnaires are designed to weed out people who can't cope with basic needs of a cat. The only question I remember off the top of my head was "how will you deal with a cat scratching furniture?", where they were basically just looking for confirmation that you won't declaw. (I think our answer was "we don't care, our couch is old and crappy anyway," and they let us adopt.) We didn't have any problems, but I imagine it depends a lot on location and situation -- I've heard college-town shelters can be very picky because they're concerned about students who may not be committed to animal care and/or may be more likely to abandon a pet when they move.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Tar_Squid posted:

Anyone got some advice for someone dealing with a grieving kitty? I had to put down one of my two cats a few weeks ago. I still have her sister, and she doesn't seem to like playing by herself anymore. She's nearly 14 now, so she spends a lot of time napping but I can't be home all the time when she's awake. Should I go find some new toys for her, or just let her adjust to her new life as a solo kitty?

Also no I am not getting her a new friend, she really doesn't like new people or pets at all. I figure I owe her at least some quiet time in her older years.

You can definitely try some new toys (a few cheap, novel cat toys can't hurt), but it may be best to just give her some time. Is she actively engaging in a lot of howling or other bad behavior, or is she just a little less active than usual?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

DoubleDonut posted:

I adopted two adult cats on Monday and I think I'm regretting it. I think I'm just not really as much of a pet person as I thought I was. I don't really have any specific problems with them, I just suddenly don't think I'm ready to be spending decades of my life with them.

I feel really guilty about this - I really wanted to be able to adopt pets for a while and now that I actually have I'm just not enjoying it, but it seems incredibly lovely to just take them back to the humane society. Has anyone else gone through something like this? Should I give it a little more time before making a decision?

Taking them back to the humane society if they're not working out is actually the least lovely thing you can do. It might not hurt to give it another week or two, but cats get returned all the time; as long as you make it clear that it's just you and not a temperament issue with the cats (which can get them flagged "special needs" and complicate re-adoption, depending on your humane society's policies), it's not going to be a huge issue. Humane societies understand that sometimes this doesn't work out, and returning them there (instead of dumping them in a parking lot or rehoming them on Craigslist or whatever) is the responsible choice if you decide you don't want the cats.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I am mildly concerned that newcat has buttworms

Help

Go to the vet? I haven't personally dealt with worms but I'm led to understand that de-worming is mostly just "get a pill, cat passes the worms, we're done here."

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Cornwind Evil posted:

So I recently was reminded of the existence of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR_LHlFwlhk

And I was wondering, does anyone have any idea why Pinky just so suddenly flipped his lid like that? Did he smell something, maybe, that really scared him? Did he decide he wanted to leave and then took the fact he was leashed really badly? It seems extreme even under 'cats being cats'.

Cats can just straight-up go nuts like that when they see/smell a stimulus that threatens or frightens them, which seems likely to have happened outside where they were filming. A few years ago, one of our cats saw and smelled a neighborhood feral through an open, screened window, and he spent hours in a total yowling rage, attacking us and the other cat -- just taking out his anger and distress on every target possible. I posted a PI thread about it because I was so freaked out by it, and all the responses were basically "cats do this, give him time."

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

What is an appropriate space to keep a cat in, in terms of square feet and ceiling height? I'm worried that my tiny studio is too small for a cat to be comfortable in. At least, he seems kind of uncomfortable in this area, considering that he runs around at night all the time and meows/semi-claws at the walls.

This can be pretty normal cat behavior, or it can be boredom -- it's an open question. I'd guess it's less a problem with the size of the environment and more an issue of limited stimulation. Are there vertical surfaces where he can jump and roost? Windowsills, bookshelves, cat trees, etc. -- places where he's allowed to go and hang out. Cats are really more motivated by vertical spaces on different levels than they are raw horizontal area, in my experience. Also, how are his other stimulation options: scratching areas, toys he can play with independently, stuff like that.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

m.hache posted:

I understand the initial sentiment for this if it was going to be a solo pet, but wouldn't the loneliness thing be offset by the fact that there's a dog? (3.5 year old Lab/retriever)

The big reason for that is that another kitten (or a cat) will teach a kitten cat etiquette in a way that humans or dogs really can't. By all accounts, it's much easier for a kitten to learn things like "being bitten hurts, so bite gently when you play" through play with a companion than through a human's attempt to get it through to them. As has also been mentioned, kittens will also be more alike in energy and activity patterns than a dog or human will be, so they can entertain each other when you and the dog aren't up for it.

On top of that, a lot of kittens in a shelter will come in bonded pairs from litters, so being open to two kittens may broaden your options for adoption. Most shelters will try to place bonded littermates together first.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, I'd focus more on ensuring that the cat messing with the tree can't result in a disaster, because there's probably no way to be completely sure that the cat won't mess with the tree. My big recommendations would probably be to avoid fragile and/or dangerous ornaments -- nothing glass, and nothing heavy/sharp enough to cause damage if it falls -- and anything like tinsel that a cat might be tempted to eat. Plastic and cloth ornaments on a fake tree are probably your best bets.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Tiny Deer posted:

Yeah, I was just concerned she was maybe disturbingly small...I can feel her ribs, but not sharply, more like the back of my hand. I've heard that's about right.

This sounds about like the guidelines for healthy cat weight. Check with your vet if you're unsure, but if she's eating and drinking well and active/energetic, she's probably just a small cat.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, no part of this is going to be easy. We had to put our 8-year-old cat, Luke, to sleep after a very fast-progressing cancer diagnosis, and one of the things that haunted me for a while afterwards is if it was right to give him pain medication before the appointment, because the pain meds made him more aware of where he was, and he hated the vet so much. (We couldn't arrange for a mobile service, unfortunately, which is a major regret of mine.) I know it was better that he was in less pain, but it's always hard to feel at peace about end-of-life decisions for an animal, since they can't communicate their wishes.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

m.hache posted:

Well, you convinced us thread.

We picked up two kittens tonight.

Both 2 months old from the same litter. Currently have them isolated in the spare bedroom. Dog keeps on looking over the barrier and whining at them.

http://imgur.com/a/6swJE

Now to acclimate. Dog added to album for good measure.

Those are some pro black fuzzes.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Feel free to vent as much as you need. Having lost a cat about a year and a half ago, I know how bad the guilt and second-guessing can be, but it honestly doesn't sound like there's anything you could have done or that you harmed Kirby in any way. It sounds like he loved and trusted you, you did your best to keep him happy and healthy, and there weren't any signs of illness that you could have noticed beforehand. Sometimes terrible things happen for no good reason, and I'm sorry this one happened to you and Kirby.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I would say to give it a shot, yeah. At bare minimum, you can at least buy the second cat some time to find a no-kill shelter or other solution, even if it doesn't work out in your home.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I recently got a new cat, and it turns out she had some serious gum disease from her short life as a kitten on the streets, and now has no teeth

Is there anything I should know?

Probably not a big deal. Cats don't really use their teeth for eating as much as you'd think; watch one eat sometime and you'll see they're just horfing food down, no chewing. She might prefer soft wet food if she's had mouth pain, but I've known toothless cats with no problems with dry food.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Cyberventurer posted:

I'm looking for a little guidance about what to do with my current cat, 4 years old. I had adopted him and another cat when they were very young (but not from the same litter), and have always been together until a couple of days ago when one of them unexpectedly passed away, and I want to know if there's any behavioral changes that I should be looking for with the one still with me. My other cat was a frequent target for his excess energy but they otherwise got along extremely well. However, I'm a little concerned because, as far as I can tell, it doesn't seem like he acknowledges that his friend isn't around anymore.

While he's definitely gotten a lot more clingy with me (because I'm now the only other one he can interact with for attention on demand), it's almost like he doesn't even know there was ever another cat that he's lived with for his entire life. I don't know if this is fine, abnormal, or if I'm just trying to project some of my own emotions on him, since I've been struggling to deal with this over the past two days. I'm not planning on rushing out and trying to adopt a "replacement" cat, because that definitely wouldn't be healthy for me at this time and I also wouldn't want to add any stress to him if he actually does know something's wrong and I'm just not picking it up. I even showed him her body, thinking that might prompt some reaction, but he just walked away and got distracted by the prospect of food just seconds after smelling her. Honestly I don't even know why I thought that would accomplish anything, but it's been hard to think clearly about anything for now.

He's still eating and using the litter box normally. I'm just wondering if there's anything else I should watch for during this time, and whether anything's wrong if I don't see what looks like sad behavior.

Cats can react in a lot of ways to losing a cat. Were they actually a bonded pair, or were they just coexisting cats? When we lost our guy a couple of years ago, our other cat got clingier but didn't really react much otherwise; those two weren't bonded, though, and more coexisted with each other. I think cats who aren't bonded pairs can get over losing each other fairly quickly.

Really, the problem is that cats don't process grief like humans, and it's very hard to tell how they do, because weird animal minds. As long as he's continuing his habits and taking care of himself, I wouldn't worry about him.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, there's no routine vet scan for something like an enlarged heart, and you can't be blamed for not having your cat X-rayed "just in case" (which would probably be an unkind thing to do on aggregate, given that most cats don't have any birth defects and don't want to undergo vet procedures). You're not an incompetent caretaker, and it sounds like you did all you could for your cat. I'm sorry for your loss, and please don't feel guilty about it.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

mcmagic posted:

I had a very tired cranky cat come home yesterday. He's on antibiotics and prescription food that he can't seem to figure out how to eat with the cone on but I'm very glad he's back. He's been pretty much sleeping on my lap all day. He had a super rough week and he's a little dirty from not being able to clean himself well and not being allowed to have a bath for a week but he's peeing and eating ok which is all I can ask for at this point.

Poor Motor. Glad he's on the mend!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

So has anyone who's had to administer IV fluids to their cat at home found that their cat begs for IV time and is super cooperative? :confused: There aren't any good drugs, it's ringers with potassium.

I would presume that the cat associates being IV-rehydrated with feeling good, because, y'know, getting rehydrated.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, the thing with covered litter boxes (or litter boxes that are otherwise less accessible than "big flat obvious pan of litter") is that some cats won't tolerate them or figure them out, which can lead to problems. If you can get them to work, more power to you, but you may want to have other solutions lined up for litter-trailing, like using different litter/using mats/having the litter box be on an easily-cleaned surface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, in my admittedly-anecdotal experience, primordial pouches can be associated with obesity, but they can also just be a weird cat genetic thing. Our last cat was a lean little guy who still had a visible (and sometimes asymmetrical?) pouch until he started losing weight with his final illness; our other cat, who is bigger but still pretty lean, has only a very small one. Cats are weird, man.