Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I remember getting a wrestling magazine around '96/'97 that had an article about an Asian valet who had ridiculously huge fake boobs. Like ludicrously big. Does anyone else remember anything like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

getitoffgetitoff posted:

Have there been any fart-based, fart-driven if you will, gimmicks before Natalya?

I remember Bastion Booger from when I was a kid, whose gimmick was that he was just really loving gross.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Perry Normal posted:

By being tough motherfuckers who don't care about concussions, you pussy.

This match comes to mind:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xo6ktd_mitsuharu-misawa-jun-akiyama-vs-johnny-ace-dr-death-steve-williams-ajpw_sport#.UXMUg7XvscY

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Remember when Wade Barrett threw Randy Orton down the stairwell? That was pretty awesome. Why don't they have him do crazy stuff like that?

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Does anyone else remember Goldust's usher? That guy was really creepy looking. I tried to GIS "goldust usher" and got a bunch of pictures of snakes for some reason.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Weird I don't remember him being that fat. Then again I was eight years old.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

1. Hogan and Beefcake vs. Macho Man and Zeus
1a. 1989

2. Zeus screaming "HULK . . . HOGAN!!!! BEEFCAKE . . . BARBER!!!!" into the camera.
2a. 1989

3. I guess that one? I've watched wrestling for as long as I can remember because my older brother did. The first time I got really hyped up for wrestling was Warrior vs. Hogan. My brother mercilessly made fun of me when Hogan lost. Later that year Warrior was supposed to make an appearance at our local mall, showed up for 10 minutes and hosed off. The first PPV I bought with allowance money was In Your House 1.
3a: 1989, 1990, 1995.

4. 27.

5. 1) Bret
2) LOD
3) Hogan

The first heels I ever cheered for were Bret during his Austin feud and the NWO.

Gaz-L posted:

1. Hogan/Boss Man in the old blue cage... I think from some Colliseum 'exclusive' match rented from the video store.
1a. 91-92?

While checking out the wikipedia page for Summerslam '89, I saw that the Hogan-Zeus feud really got going when Zeus attacked Hogan before a steel cage match with the Big Bossman on a Saturday Night Main Event. That could have been your match.

Tokelau All Star fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 19, 2013

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Bret running chest first into the turnbuckle. I know it's really stupid and dangerous, but as a kid who loved Bret I would get really sad and worried that he was getting beat up so bad he couldn't even flip around.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

quote:

WWE (SmackDown! & ECW) @ Honolulu, HI - Blaisdell Arena - July 5, 2009
John Morrison defeated Shelton Benjamin
Mark Henry defeated Evan Bourne
Melina & Gail Kim defeated WWE Womens Champion Michelle McCool & Alicia Fox; Maria was the guest referee for the bout
The Great Kahli defeated Dolph Ziggler
ECW World Champion Tommy Dreamer defeated Christian and Jack Swaggar
World Heavyweight Champion CM Punk defeated Jeff Hardy
WWE IC Champion Rey Mysterio Jr. defeated WWE Unified Tag Team Champion Chris Jericho; Ricky Steamboat was the guest referee for the bout

Took my brother's kids to this show after watching nothing but the very occasional ROH since about 2001. It was AWESOME and I've been watching fairly regularly since then. I was jazzed to see CM Punk live and Rey-Jericho with Steamboat shenanigans was electric. Recently there was some talk about old-school heel heat, I'm fairly surprised that Jericho was able to leave the building without getting brutally beaten by the crowd. He was that good.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Coaaab posted:

This is the picture in case anyone's wondering:

I've found the entire interview if you want to check it out. It's pretty awesome.

The subsequent match with Masato Tanaka is really brutal. I couldn't get through the whole thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BV5Ful-q4k?t=24m39s

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Supreme Allah posted:

Wade Barrett.

I thought it was awesome when he sidelined Orton by tossing him down a flight of stairs. It felt like it had real blood feud potential. Then nothing ever came of it.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

omgomgomg posted:

How can Bret be on such good terms with the WWE after the screwjob and everything they did with Owen?

Beating the poo poo out of Vince with a steel chair at Wrestlemania a few years back probably helped too. Seriously he must have hit him at least 25 times. It just went on and on and on.

edit: Okay maybe not 25 times. But it did go on for waaaaay too long.

Tokelau All Star fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Dec 15, 2013

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Manwithastick posted:

Wasnt it like the time that Jacqueline lost her top during the match making only 1 of 2 ever intentional booby bearings?

There was a Raw (probably somewhere around '98-'99) with a woman in the crowd holding a sign that said something like "Hey Hunter! Suck These!" pointing to her boobs. She lifted up her shirt after HHH told her to "show us the goods!" but they black barred it. I'm pretty sure this happened again on Sunday Night Heat the next week. This infuriated my parents quite a bit, who until that point were fine with us watching a tv show about guys fake beating the hell out of each other.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

I'm pretty sure Cena did it at One Night Stand 2006 against RVD. Jeez that was a long time ago.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Red posted:

His original name in WCW was The Final Solution. Then they realized how bad that was, and changed it to The Ultimate Solution, which is still a dumb name for a pro wrestler.

Our local Hawaii indy has a huge Tongan guy named The Final Solution. Nobody seems to know how awful that is. Here he is in action!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mFgRuXSGD4

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Shima Honnou posted:

You know, I've actually got a question since I remember it.

One of my extremely few interactions with wrestling over the past entirety of my life was, sometime in the 2000s (Definitely pre-2010), I saw the intro to some wrestling show on Sci-Fi. Like the one thing I remember from it was a dude getting his face sliced up by someone with a fantasied-up kama scythe. I figure the answer to this is probably ECW, I gotta know what show that was and what the deal was with that match that they took the short clip from for the intro.

Was it this? Mr. Pogo vs. Masato Tanaka (really tough to watch)

http://youtu.be/9BV5Ful-q4k?t=31m24s

And here's the hilarious pre-match promo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BV5Ful-q4k&t=24m39s

Tokelau All Star fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 15, 2014

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Red posted:

Ah, okay. That sounds right.

I remember, I think, that the ref would break a hold when they caught a heel cheating with a rope assist. Think IRS using the ropes to gain leverage in an abdominal stretch behind Hebner's back, while Hebner asks Tatanka if he wants to give up. The Hebner sees the rope shaking, and goes, "Wait, what the hell? Break that stretch!".

I love the "ref kicks the heel's arm" spot so much. I wish guys would obviously heel it up more.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Terry Funk had the piledriver and the spinning toe hold.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

I saw what felt like 10,000 Kevin Nash matches when I was a kid and the only move I can ever remember him doing are those weak rear end knee lifts to a guy in the corner. I'm probably thinking of the "side knees".

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

Alright!

We'll call it a draw. :haw:

Haha, you just can't seem to catch a break lately can you? :respek:

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Who is this? My buddy from Japan knows I watch wrestling and posted this to my facebook page saying he bought his book.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Thanks

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Bobby Eaton and Terry Funk probably belong in that thread, but I understand that way of thinking

I've been watching a lot of old NWA/WCW on the network lately, and I don't really know why but I loving HATE Bobby Eaton.

Jay 2K Winger posted:

Eddie did do that. He would also untie the tag-rope and tie it to the top rope, then scoot out on the apron to get closer to his partner for a potential tag.

When I was a kid, I remember Ric Flair would drag his partner over closer to his corner to make the tag, and the announcers would flip their poo poo over "Flair with the illegal tag! The referee didn't see it!"

Tokelau All Star fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 1, 2014

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

sticklefifer posted:

They don't mention spouses or children unless they want to be on TV, and only then if they want to make an angle out of it. Reigns has a daughter, so does Orton, etc.

This is funny. I watch a lot of old NWA poo poo on the network and it seems like every face's motivation is to provide for his family, and the dastardly heel's cowardly attack is preventing them from doing that.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Johanns Molemann posted:

michael hayes and jimmy garvin sang their way to the ring once for a new theme debut, but they hosed up and the volume on the entrance music was turned way down so it was just them singing real bad

I got a Honka Honka Honka Honky Love!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blzTKEKvoVY

(I can't find the video of him actually singing it, so this is the Wrestlemania VI Rhythm and Blues entrance, complete with DDP driving the Pink Cadillac!)

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

I don't know if it's possible to reiterate enough how loving terrible the Dungeon of Doom was. I was nine years old and even I thought it was the stupidest poo poo ever. Even dumber than WWF's endless streams of wrestlers with day jobs.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

What sets WCW apart is that it's thirteen years after the crash and we still talk about it. Nobody will be talking about TNA thirteen months from now.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Grendels Dad posted:

What happens if you neither accept nor outright refuse the beer? Will Austin just follow you everywhere, beer in hand, waiting for you to make a choice?

Every road leads to you getting the Stone Cold Stunner.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Big Boss Man should be in the Hall of Fame.

If Hacksaw Jim Duggan and Koko B. Ware are both in, Boss Man should be in too.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Has there been a funnier wrestler name than Rutherford "P.S." Hayes?

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Gonzo McFee posted:

The best wrestling punch was when Owen Hart pulled something out of his trunks, smashed his opponent in the face, let them sell like they just got hit with brass knucks and then Owen would drop a paper tissue.

Flair's "foreign objects" always looked like finger splints wrapped in athletic tape to me. Which is likely true because I'm sure they just went with whatever they had lying around in the back.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

sticklefifer posted:

Mike McGuirk did some color commentary in the 80s if I'm not mistaken.

And yes, her birth name was actually Michael.

One of the funniest wrestling moments for me was when the camera panned to Diana Hart/Smith during Bret-Bulldog at Summerslam 92, and Heenan goes "Is that Mike McGuirk?"

Also a bonus Heenan being a dick to Mike McGuirk moment which also doubles as an awesome Sid moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb6EW8vcX2g

Gorilla: This is disgusting!

Heenan: Yes she is.

That crowd is going bonkers! The only thing that could make this video better would have been a stretcher job.

Tokelau All Star fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Mar 29, 2015

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

I don't know what kind of fan it makes me, but I thought to myself that the only thing missing from Bryan-Ziggler on Raw was some sweet brawling outside the ring spots.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Has anyone here ever taken a trip down to Cobb County, Georgia?

Big Boss Man and Rick Rude are shining examples of how sweet it was watching 1990 era wrestling and both of them deserve to be in the WWE HOF. Why the hell not?

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Mark Henry?

I loved Mark Henry's run as Smackdown champ. If you saw me in the street, you would not look at me cross! Because you know I would break yo face!

Edit: Beaten!

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

The most hype wrestling move is Daniel Bryan psycho elbows.

Followed by the People's Elbow.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

C. Everett Koop posted:

Steiners/Money Inc. in a cage from way back in the day, I couldn't possibly tell you when and I might be overvaluing it.

I remember watching this on TV with my grandma and her going nuts over the Steiners. She HATED the Million Dollar Man. My grandma was a badass.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Sanguinia posted:

I did go to Wrestlekingdom 10 with Jerusalem and Harperdc though!

I still refuse to believe that Jerusalem is a real person and not a sentient supercomputer that watches all TV stations at once.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

What is the funnier fake name, Shave Seltzer, or Butt "Shitman" Fart?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

CM Sucks

Tokelau All Star fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 6, 2016