Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

nearly 7 years of these jokes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Would've been brilliant if the WWE had been decent enough to make their new signee and a guy with a meaningful belt look strong - which really you'd have to be pretty cynical at that point to expect them to do something so contrary to competent booking. ECW gets some promotion on TV and the WWE gets to have a guy on their roster get a decisive win over a guy on WCW's roster in the (only?) interpromotional match, shoulda been win-win.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Given that AJ Styles is said to be booked solid suggesting that indies are making enough from his bookings to pay his fee, is it possible that he draws better as an independent wrestler than on a TNA house show? Would that make TNA a negative draw?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Even Foley has said he wished JR had called that moment.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

hunico is better

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Mistico never did an impressive move he didn't botch twice first

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the hell are you even talking about

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Why are they so loving obsessed with short match records at Wrestlemania?

They make a point of Funaki losing at WMXX being "the fastest elimination at Wrestlemania of all time" beating SD Jones

Then they did the Kane squash of Chavo for the ECW title at whichever Mania that was and did FASTEST WIN EVER

Then they had the whole Bryan/Sheamus thing. Why do they think "fast match" is something anybody could ever care about

edit: Billy Kidman had a goddamn lovely shooting star

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Lucky he wasn't packaged as Tyler Kardashian, then.

Then again...

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Maybe Inoki will promote a Rodman/Malone rematch in North Korea.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Or the Outlaws and Renegades roundtable. On that Piper basically says he took it upon himself to "protect the business" by shooting on him because that's what you did with outsiders that came in.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I mean Piper also said a bunch of racist poo poo so there was probably a lot of personal heat exacerbating things.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

EugeneJ posted:

Before:

After:

I've seen that top picture in TEW and had nooooo idea it was the same Tori I remember from the WWF.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

So long as we're all vaguely remembering, I think the agreement violation had to do with them using WWF on the internet and consequently internationally.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

jscolon2.0 posted:

One of these is not like the other.

i'ts a joek

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Did anyone know Hornswoggle is in the Muppet movie?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

He has more lines than fellow Irish celebrity Saoirse Ronan!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

They were embezzling merch and selling it on the side or something

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

John Cena genuinely likes anime so.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

-everyone on the internet

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

-Monkeycheese

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

That's the same thing.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

SirDippingSauce posted:

First in the CM Punk DVD, now with the Daniel Bryan MW XXX special, WWE has been giving a lot of on-camera love and promotion. Do they have some sort of quid-quo-pro?

what

edit: also Back Stage Krew is the corniest poo poo I have ever heard of

maybe you mean ROH. yes there is certainly some quid pro quo as far as ROH is being compensated by either money or publicity and the WWE gets to use their footage

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Spikeguy posted:

Was this the first Wrestlemania that didn't do the national anthem at the beginning?

I don't think they've ever done the national anthem

But no I don't think they did america the beautiful last year either. probably other years idk

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

Actually, why is it America The Beautiful instead of Star-Spangled Banner at WWE shows? Does Vince not like the real anthem or something? I'm sure when Mania's in Canada they've had the celebrity guest or Lillian sing Oh Canada.

Vince has been said to think America The Beautiful is a better song and he is fully correct

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

God how did they ever get somebody over that appeared exclusively on Smackdown what a strange thought

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I think it was in that Wrestlemania Moments countdown on the network preshow they were doing?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

that would make AJ like el torito's billed height

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Rock is definitely in the 6'3-6'4 range

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

kevin nash forever https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_SCDiPGFN0&t=38s

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Justin Godscock posted:

I remember this. What happened that day was the White House said that in the coming hours Obama was to make an announcement and all the media could say was it was MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR from their sources. There were rumors as to what it could have been but the biggest one, and the only one that could warrant that kind of attention was Osama bin Laden was killed.

I think The Rock was smart enough, and bold enough, to think "no way its anything else" and tweeted the announcement. I don't think he's in tight with Obama or anything, just that shortly before Obama's announcement everyone online was talking about Osama being dead like it was already confirmed. He was just the first celebrity to tweet it.

Rock tweeted like an hour before any of that. He literally made the first public mention of any big news.

Edit: oh yeah no you're making poo poo up he didn't say anything about it being Osama he just said BIG GOOD NEWS USA before the White House or media or anyone

Super No Vacancy fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Apr 26, 2014

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Cena actually does call his matches as he sees fit.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

What's wrong with talking about house shows?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Why don't they put Smackdown on live on like Saturday early-afternoon when the networks are showing like cycling or skateboarding or other such nonsense? I guess you couldn't do west coast shows too early in the day but it wouldn't affect their travel schedule too much otherwise. I know I'm a thousand times more likely to idly watch something on Saturday afternoon than on Friday night.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

magnum_valentino posted:

It's really procedural. It's like talking about booking during the show. It's part of wrestling that exists outside of kayfabe, when scripted wrestling should still be within kayfabe.

In-context, it seemed like a desperate way of having Bubba Ray say "we know what we're doing".

That's crazy? People have to be aware of house shows if they're going to attend them. How does a non-televised contest break kayfabe when the origin of televised wrestling was to advertise live events.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

This is half an answer and half another question: My buddy just got into wrestling and asked for docs and my curriculum for an intro to the business was as follows:

History of the WWE
Rise and Fall of ECW
Beyond the Mat
Greatest Rivalries: Bret vs. Shawn
The Mania of Wrestlemania
"The Wrestler"
Jake the Snake's HOF speech

I feel like that sets up the WWE foundation and follows through on some stories established in Beyond the Mat but as far as the American industry, I feel like there's not a definitive WCW doc. Really, the WWE should do one on Russo. Also my only Austin content is in the Mania doc. So if it's supposed to be a Wrestling 101 course and be more of an overview than about specific people, any jump out at you guys?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Onmi posted:

No my question was more philosophical(?) in that does a tournament have a point if the end result is not leading to a belt. Can you have a tournament that makes sense in the world of ProGraps where the end result isn't a belt OR: What makes an appropriate reward that isnt a title/title shot.
All rewards are illusory in wrestling so it's all in the presentation, as with everything?? Cesaro won a battle royal and a trophy that didn't mean poo poo w/r/t a title but it still Had A Point because of the way it was pushed and the way he was presented coming out of it.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I only want to advertise that I like wrestling to other people that like wrestling. I don't want to advertise that I like wrestling to people that might not think twice about a punk-lookin Chicago flag shirt if not for some garish logo patch or a stupid loving catchphrase on the back.

ya that
vvvvv

Super No Vacancy fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 12, 2014

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Psycho Mantits posted:

Not wanting to advertise yourself as a wrestling fan is dumb, because unless you're still in middle or high school literally nobody gives a poo poo about that sort of thing.

This is Not True but I admire your optimism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Psycho Mantits posted:

What situations have you been in where people have actually given you poo poo for wearing a wrestling shirt in public? I've worn shirts on campus, at restaurants, bars, movie theaters, etc. and I've gotten maybe two comments ever from people, both also wrestling fans.

I don't wear wrestling shirts and also it's not like I'm suggesting people are going to throw tomatoes at you. but if you don't think you're being judged then you're really naive. don't care if you want but don't think not caring affects people's perception, not everyone is as enlightened as you