Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

Thinking on it some more, I can think of a few reasons. Meltzer never liked JYD's work, and JYD was one of the ones who got a smarmy nickname ("Junk Food Dog") back in the 80s. Not only that, but he was a territory guy transitioning to being a more "sports entertainment" guy in the WWF where he was acting more like a literal dog. Before the match they showed an "interview" with Spot where he didn't say anything and just tapped himself with a bone. Then JYD did the crawling headbutt spot in their match. I think Meltzer hates comedy headbutt spots on principle.

(I never quite got the Moondogs' gimmick. Was it that they were savage hillbillies, and then later they acted more like they were just some kind of redneck caveman? I don't get the Bushwackers either.)

Meltzer in the 80s was also way more immature and a huge NWA stan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Someone on Twitter awhile ago coined the 2008-now era as the Lost Generation, which seems apt. There was start-stop even steven stuff in 05-08, but they didn't start truly wasting their young talent until around 08-09 since they really didn't have any good young talent until then.

Also "Reality Era" is probably a worse name than "Ruthless Aggression Era," something I couldn't have fathomed in 2003-05.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Havoc904 posted:

I was just watching the Rock/Austin match from WM15 and that got me thinking about if there was an early plan for WM16 if Austin hadn't been injured.

What were some matches that were planned for a Wrestlemania that didn't end up happening for one reason or another?

Wasn't a Cena/Triple H rematch on the cards for WM23 originally that got shelved when he blew his quad?

Wade Barrett vs. Undertaker was built for WM27. Kane beat Undertaker in a Buried Alive match when Nexus beat down Undertaker. HHH vs. Undertaker 1 (2?) replaced it.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Gavok posted:

I'm thinking of writing a list article on the worst Wrestlemania moments ever. There are a lot of easy/big ones in there like Hogan winning the title at WM9, the Mr. T boxing match, 18 seconds, Goldberg/Lesnar, Brock landing on his head, Giant Gonzalez having a match, etc.

What are some of the less talked about dumb moments in Wrestlemania that stick out to you? Off the top of my head:

- The time when an interviewer noticed Mary Tyler Moore in the crowd and tried to interview her and it got super awkward as she tried to pretend she gave a poo poo about anything. WM6 I think.
- The endless WM7 segment about instant replay that was only shown in the original airing because of how bad it was.
- Hacksaw Jim Duggan's gigantic booger (note: may actually be one of the best Wrestlemania moments).
- John Morrison committing career suicide by refusing to hug Snooki.
- Rick Rude vs. Jake Roberts killing all of WM4's momentum in one fell swoop.

The Miller Lite Girls at WM19
Saliva & Limp Bizkit performing
Rey v Orton v Angle getting a ton of time cut off so they could run a lingerie pillow fight
WM11's opening video going over the illustrious history of celebrities at WM and focusing most of the show around it (That said there understandably wasn't a draw on the card anyway)
Roddy Piper and Morton Downey Jr.'s 3 hour segment

SG Bamboo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x6XpVM5lBU

In the related videos to the KotR video, with both Shane and Kurt talking through the spots. Shows both times the glass didn't break, as well as the finish

This is really sick in the lens of 2016

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Cory Lidle posted:

Found it! I should've started on YouTube, Google wasn't very helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMPw1ov_9KM

I don't get how this is from like 2006-08 and looks like it was shot in 1992

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I don't think Regal knew, but he definitely had an inkling something was seriously wrong. Beyond "entire family dies of natural causes" wrong.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Web Jew.0 posted:

Benoit squashing Orlando Jordan was great, especially considering they had a long boring match at the Great American Bash a month prior. http://dai.ly/x26yojo

Summerslam 05 was the best because it was the company going "poo poo, our bad" in response to GAB and the previous month in general. Pretty much every wrong was righted.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Kennel posted:

Are there any great lumberjack matches?

The aforementioned American Wolves vs. Roderick Strong & Erick Stevens in a Lumberjack Strap Match from ROH Injustice 2 is a masterpiece

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Considering how much CM Punk gets chanted every time WWE is in Chicago, are there any other notable examples of wrestlers getting chants after their career is over and they are not present?

Bret kinda got chants

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Gavok posted:

For the record, here's what I had in the previous version of the list:

This is from a few days ago, but one of my most hated Rumble moments is Rey in 06. Not because he won, but because he went bell to bell, but not reeeeeeally, because he was #2, and HHH was #1

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Davros1 posted:

And it would have made more sense for Rey to come out first.

*Rey comes out*
"Who's he going to face?"
*HHH comes out. Suddenly odds seem against Rey*

Of course it would, but they didn't want Rey to be an official Bell to Bell winner because it was more important for HHH to be #1 and last until the end.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Sandman McMahon posted:

What's the difference?

Nothing to most people, but there definitely was to WWE

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Tweak posted:

Did Cena's rise to the top start the trend of the heel announcers opposing every face except for the top baby face? I seem to remember King hated Austin/Rock no matter who they were against, in contrast to JBL/Corey's, "you gotta respect the BIG DOG" while otherwise just defending whatever tactics the heel uses.

It was really only to try and combat the rising tide of hate from male fans. Before that, Jesse Ventura would sometimes compliment babyfaces that could wrestle like Bret Hart

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Jack Swagger being made to be a Jericho clone was poor as well

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

remusclaw posted:

Quick question, has the Avalanche AA ever finished anybody off, because for the life of me, every time I have seen it, it gets a 2 count and he either wins with a regular one later or the other guy takes the match?

Pretty sure he beat Lashley at GAB07 with it

Which was super confusing until Lashley quit

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

bessantj posted:

Cool, thanks. Do you remember if the following Backlash was any good?

WM23 is very good, although a lot of that is tied up in being blown away at how good UT-Batista was, since the consensus going in was that it would be a snoozer. Still good.

Backlash 07 is fine if unspectacular.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
It was acceptable.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Jimmy Rave is one that came to mind for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The topic of worst WM comes up a lot but I have thought about what the worst consecutive WMs are and it is hard not to think that (outside of Shawn vs Taker) 25-29 is a really dire collection of WMs when you take everything into consideration. Nothing gets as bad as 9*, but it's the most "treading water" period I can think of for that long. 9-13 has 10 in the middle, and they at least try to create new stars in Bret and Shawn. 25-29 is the doldrums of the Cena/Orton/Still HHH era as new talent isn't allowed to grow past upper midcard at best, and it infects every part of the company.

I mean that's still kinda true today but at least it's in service of trying to make a wrestling star, as flawed as the plan is

*27 comes close