Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
While at the showing of Army of Darkness last night at the Phoenixville Colonial, I learned that they're playing Ghostbusters at 2:00pm on Saturday, October 21st. This theater is AWESOME. (They also are playing Beetlejuice on the 17th. It's listed under "Young Audiences". Hah!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

CyanideRush posted:

Philadelphia area goons, Ghostbusters is playing at the Colonial Theatre in Phoenixville on 10/24!

http://www.thecolonialtheatre.com/2009/events/ghostbusters/

(and they're showing Rocky Horror later that night)

I think I mentioned that earlier in the thread, actually, but it's well worth bringing up again. =) The Colonial, featured in The Blob, is a fantastic theater. Ghostbusters sadly is playing at two in the afternoon after I do a 5p-3a shift, but I'm planning on coffee taking care of any residual fatigue. I think they're playing Gremlins soon, also.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

I want a four-foot tall version of this for my living room.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

SocketWrench posted:

I watched this movie again last night. I swear I dunno if I was in a weird mood or not, but when Egon switches on Ray's pack in the elevator and starts backing into the corner I laughed so hard I woke my neighbors in the next apartment

The looks on their faces and how they cover their crotches with their hands just seals it, on top of the deadpan delivery of the lines. It really is a perfect little moment in the film.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
I don't mind some audience participation, but I had to ask the guy behind me at a theater showing of Ghostbusters to knock it off. He was saying the lines before the characters. That was loving annoying.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
On the TV overdub that I'm sure is still on VHS at my parent's house somewhere, the exchange goes something like:

Dr Ray Stantz: Everything was fine with our system until the power grid was shut off by Wally Wick here.
Walter Peck: They caused an explosion!
Mayor: Is this true?
Dr. Peter Venkman: Yes it's true.
[pause]
Dr. Peter Venkman: This man is some type of rodent, I don't know which.

Which in its own way cracks me up too because it's so absurd.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

MrJacobs posted:

More important: If they won't have to original characters are they gonna keep the car?
I don't think any struggling academics starting a new business could AFFORD a '59 Cadillac Eldorado, even if they were restoring it. I'm not even sure what an equivalent car would be today. Twenty five year-old wagons just don't have the same appeal anymore.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
It sounds like Hellboy meets Ghostbusters. And yet all I can muster is, "Meh."

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

The following MUST be included in the scrip:

1) A green slimer ghost!
2) The phrase "he slimed me"
3) "Are you a god?"
Yeah, my issue isn't with an all-woman reboot, it's with any reboot. The original had a lot of awesome packed in tight. A reboot would have to pay homage to the original without just being a rehash, but I can see a lot of pressure to include these types of things. "This time Rae will say, 'Yes,' but it won't work! And then Wynette will say, 'The next time someone asks if you're a goddess, you say no!' It'll be hysterical!"

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Jack Gladney posted:

The agony of shitheel nerds gives me strength. The movie might end up kind of The Thing remake levels of bland or not bad, but I will remember forever the squeals of human garbage having to let girls into their clubhouse. It never gets old.
I'm in the camp of "I don't think any reboot or sequel is going to work out," but I will gladly champion this movie if it means a bunch of whiny misogynists will scream and cry.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
Well, it's not a modern NY state plate. But it also doesn't seem to match older plates either, so it probably doesn't help either way.

Edit: hurt derf, was looking at the back plate and missed the banner at the top. Modern plate, within last five years or so.

tetrapyloctomy fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jul 8, 2015

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

CelticPredator posted:

Um yes it is. The main girl gets raped by a tree.

Also, I recut the trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5182ezO3Tw

I came into the thread to say that if the movie is good, the team who made the trailer needs to be fired. Your cut completely solidifies that opinion -- now that's a movie I'd want to see.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Jamesman posted:

I cannot see how this is a good idea, especially at this time.

The franchise rights alone will make us rich beyond our wildest dreams.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Waffles Inc. posted:

As presented on the screen, Venkman is an absurd rear end in a top hat to him over completely reasonable demands, and it's because he's from the government.

Wow, Ghostbusters really does capture the core essence of modern Libertarians.

In all seriousness, it is funny how Venkman remains one of "the good guys" to the audience despite the fact that he is, in fact, a manipulative sociopath. Time to rewatch! What's the best high-def edition, or are they all terrible?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Mantis42 posted:

Bill Murray leaned in and whispered "No one will ever believe you."
You need to get an MRI while you sleep, because the part of your brain that came up with this is a comedic genius and we need to find it.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
I'm torn. I think the cast had great chemistry and I think a lot of the visual design was fantastic -- I love the look of the new equipment. It still somehow felt like the highest-budgeted SNL skit ever, with no serious elements, completely ridiculous characters, winking nods crammed in everywhere, and jokes flung around just hoping some of them would land.. A lot of them DID land: I thought the movie was really funny, but it looked and felt like a Ghostbusters parody instead of an actual licensed Ghostbusters movie. I guess I just like my comedies played a bit straighter. I feel like the cast brought a lot to the film, but could have done so much more if everyone and everything wasn't so campy all the time.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

CelticPredator posted:

The first joke in the movie is the Tour Guide being a huge racist. Or saying racist things. I can't remember honestly.

The anti-Irish fence joke. I thought it was funny but in a very 30 Rock/Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt kind of a way. Very Tina Fey. Again, I was torn; I found a lot of the gags and jokes funny, but lacking balance.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Here's a thing I noticed way back when I was a kid (probably 6-7), and was reminded of it today in conversation. The ending theme (as well as the music throughout the credits) have a slapback delay/echo, and I have no idea why, nor do I have any idea why they haven't fixed it in all the years that the film has existed and has been remastered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDNprwEzB-k

I believe there are a few other spots where the scene audio is doubled, but this is the most noticeable.

When I was a kid I always assumed it was our home-taped VHS copy, well, sucking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Aleph Null posted:

Now they just get widescreen TVs anyway and would complain about vertical black bars if they tried to watch old 4:3 television.

Oh, god, stretching 4:3 content to hide the vertical bars is the worst. I don't know what's worse, the uniform widening or the one that preserves the ratio in the middle and stretches the sides progressively more the farther from center, like the screen is being wrapped around a cylinder.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'm amazed someone under the age of 60 lasted more than 5 minutes with that poo poo.

My wife prefers it and I will never understand why. And I didn't mind HFR in the Hobbit trilogy (especially with CGI or properly-lit scenes.)

• Locked thread