Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I'm looking for science fiction movies with atmosphere. Like, weird poo poo in the background that is half explained or maybe not at all. Examples include anything by Terry Gilliam (Brazil, Twelve Monkeys) most of Ridley Scott's sci-fi movies (Alien, Blade Runner), Children of Men, The Fifth Element, Dune, and Chronicles of Riddick.

Zardoz fits that and is weird as poo poo to boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Allyn posted:

Any films which involve walking/driving around classical European towns/cities, and really make use of those locations? Think Before Sunrise (Vienna), Before Sunset/2 Days in Paris (uh, Paris :)), Certified Copy (various places in Tuscany), The Grand Beauty (Rome).

Frantic.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Wyllt posted:

Been recently looking for something along the lines of Le Samurai. I love that minimalist jazzy feel.

Woo's The Killer. Yeah it's blood opera, but that feel is there.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Kvlt! posted:

More movies like Crank? Just ball-to-the-wall, over the top, violent, bloody, adrenaline pumping action. Expendables 2 also fits the bill.

nth-ing Shoot 'Em Up! and also recommending Give 'em Hell Malone starring Thomas Jane,

Cantaloupe posted:

Are there any other neon-noir movies in the vein of Thief or Drive?

Klute
The Driver
starring Ryan O'Neal

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Kvlt! posted:

Any science fiction films about drugs? I'm really digging A Scanner Darkly

John Dies At The End

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

OldSenileGuy posted:

After getting my tits blown off by Max Max, I'm trying to make a list of the best R-rated action films of the 21st century. I suppose they technically don't have to be R-rated, but saying "R-rated action film" is the best way to convey the type of movie I'm looking for. So far I have:

Max Max: Fury Road
Dredd
The Raid
John Wick
Pain & Gain

I really considered putting Pacific Rim on here, but I don't think it quite fits. Ditto for Live Die Repeat.

Movies I haven't seen yet that might fit the mold - Crank, Crank 2, Machete

Shoot 'em Up
Give 'em Hell Malone
Death Proof
(It has some absolutely stunning car gags)
Bad Boys II

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Defendor

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
A Dirty Shame is batshit crazy.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

regulargonzalez posted:

If I were to watch one, and only one, Elvis movie, which one should it be?

Bubba-Ho-Tep

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

srypher posted:

I've recently watched Videodrome and the first 5 Nightmare on Elm Street films and am looking for some more stuff like that. I guess specifically subversive, body-horror type films. For some reason those movies really get under my skin like nothing else can, and I really enjoy that.

Nightbreed and the first two Hellraiser films should be on the top of the list. Then eXistenz and The Fly.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Sheba Baby I adore Pam Grier too.
Bound
Diabolique
The original.
Phenomena The Dario Argento film.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Rise: Blood Hunter with Lucy Liu?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Perfect Creatures with Saffron Burrows and Dougray Scott is another odd vampire movie.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

cthulusnewzulubbq posted:

From a page ago, but the movie you're looking for is Society.

Ahhhhhhhhhh! :stonk:

That movie freaked me the gently caress out.

American Mary is also amazing body horror.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

FreshFeesh posted:

Some of my favorite movies include Heat, Ronin, Inside Man, and Sneakers, and I'm looking for more tactical, perhaps gritty, dramas to fill out my playlist.

It seems there are a number of movies coming out which may fit the bill, but there have been some exceptional stinkers. Has anyone recently come across high-quality films (not necessarily English language) that may fit the bill?

The Art of the Steal is an interesting little movie with Kurt Russell and Terence Stamp.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Slaapaav posted:

the michael mann movie Thief seems to be right up your alley.

Also Walter Hill's Driver

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

buddhanc posted:

Can someone recommend me some good modern spy movies that are not the Bourne series? I loving love a great spy thriller.

e- On second thought, they don't even have to be modern. Cold war and up will do just fine.

Spy Game with Redford and Pitt.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Slaapaav posted:

lawrence of arabia is amazing on a big screen

The best widescreen film ever.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Punch Drunk Drewsky posted:

I watched Lost Soul The Doomed Journey of Richard Stanley's Island of Dr. Moreau earlier this week, and while the movie itself was ok the stories were fantastic. These kinds of behind the scenes what the hell went wrong / terribly right documentaries are a lot of fun. I've seen American Movie, Burden of Dreams, and Lost in La Mancha. I've got Heart of Darkness on the docket whenever I get around to Apocalypse Now (which I know is a big blind spot and I plan on rectifying it soon).

Are there any other fun / schadenfreude-tinged documentaries detailing productions gone awry I should add to the list?

Best Worst Movie

Jodorowsky's Dune

Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse whoops! see you have it on your list.

One I just saw, The Death of "Superman Lives"

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 1, 2015

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Colossus

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Dopilsya posted:

I was watching Stretch on the US netflix a few weeks back and while it wasn't a great movie, it did make me want to see something that follows a similar theme. I guess I'm trying to find movies that involve the main character finding out about secret/underground/weird locations or organisations in their city; sort of the "seedy underbelly". Bonus points if they have to travel to multiple locations. Is this a thing in noir films, maybe? I'm not sure I've ever seen a noir film.

Beaten to Society, okay in the same vein (sort of) American Mary (NOTE: Both of these movies are not for the squeamish.)

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Hand Knit posted:

I am looking for distinctly and interestingly Canadian movies. In my mind already are FUBAR, Atanarjuat, and Mon Oncle Antoine.

Ginger Snap

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Ginger Snap has a very different feel to US made movies of its type (Cursed for example). I don't know it's because it's Canadian or not.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Immortal Ad Vitam

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
It really is an entertaining movie and is bizarre as poo poo.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
To Catch a Thief
Sabotage

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

feedmyleg posted:

What are some fast-paced movies that are just a bunch of goddamn fun? Any genre.

Shoot 'em Up, Big Trouble in Little China, Tremors, Split Second, Where Eagles Dare

Kvlt! posted:

Looking for super-gritty, urban, violent movies. Think along the lines of that Punisher "Dirty Laundry" short, Death Wish, Death Sentence, Edge of Darkness, etc.

Seconding Switchblade Sisters

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Kangra posted:

What are some good post-apocalyptic or dark future car/gang movies from the 1960s-1980s? Like Death Race 2000 or Damnation Alley.

Comedy Option: Battletruck

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Kvlt! posted:

Can anyone reccomend me some horror or thriller movies that have themes of doctors, surgery, hospitals or taking place in hospitals, or generally a medical theme?

Dr. Giggles
American Mary
Splice
(genetics research)
Coma
The Andromeda Strain
Dead Ringers

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Pillowpants posted:

My wife and I are having trouble picking a movie.

I'm looking for a good American horror movie, made in the past decade or so. I enjoy all forms of horror, besides haunted house movies.

Zombie movies are my wife's preference but I think we've seen all the passable ones.

Wyrmwood is Aussie, but is a balls to the wall crazy zombie film in the best possible way.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Grindhouse docs?

Both are extremely NSFW Trailers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDo-CWfe8Cw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLm1ppE_Ib0

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Dr.Caligari posted:

I've not seen it, but maybe Phantom of the Paradise ?

Oh that definitely qualifies. Gerrit Graham's character 'Beef' is amazingly weird.

Thinking about him reminds me of an awesome 80s as gently caress movie, Used Cars. It's an 'R'rated comedy starring Kurt Russell, Jack Warden, Michael McKean, David Lander, Deborah Harmon. Written by Zemeckis and Gale from a story by John Milius, directed by Zemeckis and produced by Spielberg. Like I said, 80s as gently caress.

Slightly NSFW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejbC9G_Tpmo

Holy poo poo, the full movie is on youtube...

VERY NSFW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4-Ax-YdEwE

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 14, 2015

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Origami Dali posted:

What are some good movies that deal with the darker aspects of sexuality? I've seen the stuff from von Trier (seeing Nymphomaniac prompted this request) and Gaspar Noe, as well as some of the stuff from Cronenberg and Lynch which fits the theme. Seen Last Tango in Paris and Eyes Wide Shut. The Piano Teacher is also a favorite. I've heard decent-to-terrible things about the work of Catherine Breillat, but haven't seen any of it. And that's about it. Is there anything really great I'm missing out on?

Salo...No I'm joking, do not see that.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Hellraiser?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
How about Audition then?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Okay then American Mary? It's non-mystical, pretty loving horrific and has a lot of its conflict driven by emotions.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

ProfessorProf posted:

Simple question: If I was to watch exactly one of Jackie Chan's old Hong Kong movies, which one should it be? I've already seen Drunken Master 2, but that's about it.

Project A or Wheels on Meals if you want the Sammo Hung and Yuen Biao added fun. I really like Half a Loaf of Kung Fu, it is stupid and fun.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

cthulusnewzulubbq posted:

I re-watched Krull and it made me want to find some similar films. Fantasy is optional, but what I'm looking for is a sort of silly or "B" concept that's technically polished and presented very confidently.

Willow, Deep Rising, Predator

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

regulargonzalez posted:

Before Sunrise (helps if you can really remember what your early 20s were like, how it felt and how the world looked to you) and its sequels. The first sequel, Before Sunset, will speak to you more directly than the first film. But if you watch these, please give the first film a few weeks to settle in your head before watching the next. My favorite movies of all time.

Certified Copy definitely involves emotions and whatnot, but of a more subtle and problematic nature than simply Love.

Wong Kar Wei's entire oeuvre could be summarized as bittersweet love stories. Chungking Express is the lightest, a frothy pair of stories that will linger in your mind. In the Mood for Love is probably his most low-key, understated film. 2046 is a standalone quasi sequel and his most accomplished.

E: the setting might rule out 2046, although it really really shouldn't. It is nominally Sci Fi, at least in part, but it's not about being Sci Fi the way, say, Blade Runner or Terminator are. It's about what it means to feel.

Chungking Express also has Brigette Lin who is one of the greatest Chinese actresses ever, and In the Mood for Love and 2046 have Maggie Cheung.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

magpie posted:

I've just watched The Day After and the lead up to the bombs dropping was one of the most intense things I've ever seen. Can anyone recommend any films that have a strong/tense run up to a global nuclear conflict?

Is War Games good? I have a feeling I saw it years ago and have it in my mind that it's a daft movie about Ferris Bueller saving the world.

I have already seen Threads and The Sum of All Fears.

Fail-Safe the serious version of Dr.Strangelove with Henry Fonda as the President.

Seven Days in May the run up to nuclear war is not the main plot, but is a constant threat.

Twilight's Last Gleaming more Burt Lancaster is always good.

Wrong is Right nuclear terrorism as a government misdirect and casus belli, and Sean Connery's best movie. PS: It's a very black comedy.

• Locked thread