Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

What is it with these and weird punctuation? No human alive is going to use a colon to express "£10:4 million"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

letthereberock posted:

“100% are for Biden”

100% of what!? The “extra” 200k votes? Even if that were true, how would anyone know which votes were the “extra” ones? Did they get 200k votes from Faketown, Fake County, PA?

They were in a big crate marked "FAKE BIDEN VOTES, OPEN ONLY IN CASE OF EMERGENCY". Thank god a republican observer noticed it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

The two men with identical button down shirts. The girl only wearing foundation but having mid shoulder length hair and a Kmart shirt staring into the middle distance. The 1970s porch aesthetic. This is a church event, isn't it

What church isn't using the same gigantic box of tiny styrofoam cups that somebody bought at Sam's Club in 2003?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

VideoTapir posted:

what is 'the fervor of a convert?'

I don't have the context, but it means to do something or say something with a lot of passion. For example, if somebody was recently "saved" and converted to Christianity, they'd want to share the good news with as many of their friends as possible, so they'd go around preaching with the fervor of a convert.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I paid $100 for Global Entry. It comes with Pre-Check, but the money doesn't go to the TSA. It goes to CBP instead, and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Also I get to take a short line when I re-enter the country.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Weatherman posted:

Well the title of our national anthem is literally God Defend New Zealand so I've got bad news for you if you ever try to invade sow the seeds of democracy here.

New Zealand has mountains, so the Cold War-era tactic of driving a bunch of tanks across Germany Iraq Wherever won't work out super well and we'll be stuck in a decades-long quagmire fighting Ardenist separatists in the foothills around Masterton?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Given the position of the "Welcome to Florida" sign, the glacier actually is in Valdosta, GA

:goonsay:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

happyhippy posted:

Putting numbers into our profiles was used for a lot of things back then.
Have some in mine, and can't for the life of me remember what it was for.

Mine are from the hour and a half I spent playing Eve Online a decade ago.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Devorum posted:

I saw Raising Arizona for the first time later in '91 and those two films are pretty much why I got a love for movies beyond just watching for popcorn.

It's because both movies have motorcycle-shotgun scenes, right? That's what makes a movie good. Motorcycles and shotguns in conjunction.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

"SEX DEVIANTS are lacing paper with CARTOON CHARACTERS on them with drugs to take advantage of children's overwhelming desire to devour bugs bunny"

Granted, if you gave my son a blotter paper with a cartoon character on it, it would go immediately in his mouth. He's 8 months old, it's what kids do at that age

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

2) it does not need to be remade or anything like that because it is the perfect send up of a movie genre that is no longer popular.

I need a team of necromancers to keep Mel Brooks alive long enough to kill franchise superhero movies.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

If I'm expecting my checkout process to be even mildly complex, e.g. buying fruit or alcohol or using a coupon, I'll go through the staffed checkout because it will save me so much headache.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Medullah posted:

I always carry a journal with me that says "It's too late, it's already happening." but then I tear the second part of the page off.

If a videogame protagonist found the journal I carry in my pocket, they would see:

quote:

carne asada quesadilla
side beans
chicken taquitos rancheros

[next page]

metamucil gummies
tums
diet coke

If that's not storytelling, I don't know what is.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

The extra punctuation is to make up for the lack of punctuation in Those Darn Kids' writing.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Perestroika posted:

Reminds me of a similar thing that keeps making the rounds, along the lines of "City council refused to build a stairway up this hill in a park. Now a local dad built one by himself for a couple hundred bucks, but the city tore it down again at the cost of thousands of dollars!"

The unspoken background being that the local guy's stairway was a rickety piece of poo poo that would at best last a year before it inevitably breaks and probably injures somebody quite badly.

I had to yell at a friend of mine about how the local dad's precarious, not-to-code stairway created an unsafe affordance and was worse than nothing.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Dameius posted:

You made me want to go look it up and the first thing I found was this report that says that Tesla drivers have the highest accident rate per 1,000 drivers of any of the 30 brands reviewed in the USA. lol

The same article leads with the thesis that Ram truck drivers are the worst drivers across brands.

Soviet Esla might be referring to this article published by the IIHS last year, finding that vehicles with tall, blunt front end profiles are vastly more lethal in collisions with pedestrians than vehicles with lower and more rounded/sloped front ends. Modern full sized trucks are on a race to be the most brick-like.

https://www.iihs.org/news/detail/vehicles-with-higher-more-vertical-front-ends-pose-greater-risk-to-pedestrians

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

I think half of this stuff comes from wanting to believe in a narrative driven world where you just have to believe things over an analysis driven one where you have to do poo poo.

And the other half comes from having civic systems so broken that it's easier to believe in magic than expect someone to invest in new infrastructure.

If I recall correctly, an aluminum-mercury amalgum does grow into interesting tower-like structures, but it's also incredibly fragile. The mercury weakens the aluminum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrdYueB9pY4

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I am reminded of a possibly-apocryphal account of somebody who was a libertarian until they took MDMA and realized other people also have feelings.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Blarghalt posted:

The human body uses all kinds of otherwise toxic elements in really tiny amounts, but lead is one that's literally unhealthy in any amount.

Then why is it, every time I eat a heaping spoonful of uranium, my body turns it into lead?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

As you'd expect, the steering gear on container ships is massive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IibP5EBKloI

Those two huge three phase induction motors, drive a pair of hydraulic pumps, and the pumps drive the rams that moves the rudder. Lose power and you might be able to use the residual pressure in the hydraulic cylinders to move it half a degree, but actual steering isn't going to happen, and like you say there isn't a magic power source that comes into play that could run a pair of what look like 20kW motors, plus the contactor cabinet and the pump controllers for any amount of time.

Super special emergency backup power will probably be some marine lead acid batteries that can run the "steering's hosed" light and alarm.

A lot of times there's a human-powered backup, but it requires some poor shmuck down in the steering gear room to turn a wheel 100,000 times because there's a massive gear reduction involved. It's a middle-of-the-ocean solution.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

No, you see, it's also got AI.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Minor adjustment for accuracy

I don't know, I made some truly atrocious baked ziti for a woman on our second or third date and we've been married for almost ten years now.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Panfilo posted:

I never understood why it couldn't just be melted back down, even if it's not suitable for whatever parts it could still be used in something like insulation, packing foam, etc.

A lot of plastic won't melt right, it'll burn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

They did it was called Zootopia

I was going to say Cats (2019).