Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Coffee And Pie posted:

Is this hosed up or is it just me? The general gist of the video was that rapists in India were strung up naked in public so women could beat them. Now I'm not defending rape or anything, but this doesn't sit well with me, it's a bit too medieval.

God they didn't even use the term positive reinforcement correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Senior Dizzle posted:

What's the app that changes Facebook names? I have a really good " F you, got mine" post about the minimum wage I'd like to share.

EDIT: Okay, I haven't been on FB for a while and I'm from the deep South. I have multiple goodies, including letting inmates starve to death, kill all Muslims and THE GAYS!!! war on god fearing Christians.

Social Fixer extension/addon

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

homerlaw posted:

The worst thing about this Vaccines cause autism scare is that it treats autism like a fate worse than death. Like, they're saying that my life is a tragedy, what asses.

The anti-vaxxers are all but saying they'd rather have their kid die than have autism.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

TheQat posted:

this might have already been posted, if so i apologize. facebook craziness

if there's a premade debunk for this i'd appreciate it, i don't have the time or effort to make one myself today :(

I find the best debunking is just to laugh at the idea that an illegal alien being paid under the table is going to make twice minimum wage rather than a couple bucks a day.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Dirk the Average posted:

Yeah, it's interesting how his only interaction with his wife is being yelled at and he's angry around his kids.

For some strange reason she feels emotionally unfulfilled. No idea why that could be the case.

This hits a bit close to home for me; my father struggled with undiagnosed PTSD for his whole life, which led to my parents divorcing. We really need better mental health care in this country, especially for veterans. It would be even better if we could destigmatize therapy; had the author of that comic gone to a marriage counselor with his wife, he probably could have saved his marriage and not put his kids through a divorce.

I also like his reaction to being asked to have kids or get married. Just a hair above, "meh."

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Keeshhound posted:

One thing I will never understand about preppers. If you genuinely believe that you will see the total breakdown of civilization in your lifetime, and wind up in a post-apocalyptic, scavenger scenario... why the gently caress are you so dedicated to the idea of setting up a bunker fortress to live in? Like, maybe I'm the crazy one here, but it seems like just dying might be a mercy in that case.

I'm pretty sure most preppers are more wishing for the breakdown than fearing it.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Popular Thug Drink posted:

i fail to see how providing disclaimers for potentially upsetting content swaddles and infatilizes adults, or fails to challenge them or grow them as people

i think you're being overly dramatic because you for some reason need to feel superior to people who have suffered emotional trauma

Typically they are used to not prepare you for disturbing content, but to avoid it entirely. For students this is a great way to refuse to learn a topic or do a homework assignment. For those with anxiety, its one of the few ways shown to make the anxiety WORSE. Really the utility of trigger warnings is somewhere between nigh-nonexistent to downright harmful.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

SwingShift posted:

Trigger warnings on tumblr, or before movies or tv shows, are used to avoid disturbing content. Disclaimers/warnings in a syllabus or from a teacher are for the benefit of students, and there is always an alternative assignment for the student to do. They don't just get the next day/week off.

I teach graduate level psych courses. They absolutely do try to use it out of the assignment. And then the alternate assignment. And then the alternate alternate assignment. If you can't handle someone being inappropriate in any way, you are in the wrong field. :argh:

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I know that poo poo like this has been discussed before, but I don't remember how long ago and can't find it. Anybody point me to a good set of points as to why this is bullshit?

I'd find a picture of them with their guns and edit it into the picture, personally.

Because you just loving KNOW they post a poo poo ton of pictures of them with ARE GUNS.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

De Nomolos posted:

Only posting because the friend who posted this is...in the military.

"I suck at my job, better get ready."

I almost want one of these in my feed so I can ask what precisely a gun would do against a suicide bomber.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Brawnfire posted:

When I got a recruiter call, they seemed way into me until I told them my major at my HS was musical theatre. Suddenly the call got a lot less enthusiastic...

Well yeah. Who has a 'major' in high school?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

"House contains a lot of guns to steal. Come back and rob my house at noon when I'm at work."

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

RabbitWizard posted:

I'm sure people sharing that kind of images always "put it in context" when they cause physical pain to their children.

Hey now, I'm sure when the kid acts out and they are angry and frustrated that will apply an appropriate amount of calm, controlled force that couldn't possibly cause harm.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Its the best way to tell people to go gently caress themselves that I've ever seen.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Subjunctive posted:

Aren't pet snakes a huge issue in Florida, wreaking ecological havoc and so forth?

Yes. There's annual hunts for wild pythons with competitions for who can get the most, and you need a permit to purchase an anaconda or a few different species of python. The permits require your snakes be licensed, that you prove your snakes are stored securely, and you must provide an inventory of your animals annually and notify the government if you sell one.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Radish posted:

I doubt this image creator knows it but black dogs don't get adopted as easily as other colors and thus end up getting euthanized at higher rates.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2014/06/black_dog_syndrome_are_people_racist_against_black_pets.html

There isn't so much evidence of that effect for dogs, but yeah, black cats are right hosed. 'Cat Lives Matter'

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/02/160203185534.htm?utm_source=feedburner

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

oneforthevine posted:

Nah, man, the minimum wage is for entry-level jobs teenagers do and shouldn't be livable. Never mind that society inherently requires these jobs to function. Also black people are inherently hosed by the system and their parents but oh well guess they've gotta work hard to get out of it and if they can't they're just lazy. And investing in public education isn't going to stop these kids from wearing their pants low and isn't going to make them get a respectable job. Plus welfare de-incentivizes work, and you can't force anyone to do anything they don't want to do.

...See, unlike you I'm an idiot and DID get into this argument today.

I've never understood that. A typical day at Taco Bell starts at 6am and ends at 2 or 3am. A teenager, at best, is going to work 6pm-10pm a couple nights a week, since they still have school, homework, sports, sleep. Who do they expect to work all the other times?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Fulchrum posted:

Are they even trying to justify why Bernie wins all the states he lost the primary for?

I imagine its something like 'if they hadn't been closed, the Independents would've swung it!"

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Knight posted:

People with jobs I don't like voting! As members of their party? Is this what democracy has come to?!

A pain care center prescribing opiates, a known painkiller? Well I never!

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Defenestration posted:

What is the passive right to vote, I wonder

We spare women the burden of figuring out how to vote, and allow them the luxury of passively voting by attempting to influence their husbands.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

the_steve posted:

Saw this on Facebook. The alleged storyteller doesn't mention whether he's white or black in this particular STDH.
Kind of disappointed that nobody stood up and clapped at the end.

This man found out the secret to not getting shot by jumpy cops: give up your right to not be searched whenever they feel like! Cops HATE LOVE him.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

TinTower posted:

I was overheating when I had the flu in February.

I'm sure standing in the sun in multiple layers of dark fabric in a group of people didn't help, either.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Zephyrine posted:

But Mr Reagan. Not only did I build a wall. West Berlin paid for it.

And those same people are voting for Trump, who asked Russians to hack the US and keeps making eyes at Putin.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Subjunctive posted:

Occupational therapy is like "how to button a shirt" or "how to get yourself to the washroom". It's therapy related to that which occupies your time, not your vocation. That's just therapy.

They call that a vocational therapist or work coach where I work.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

jivjov posted:

In the wake of Donald Drumpf's tweet about wanting flag burners to either be jailed or lose their citizenship, I've seen a LOT of anti-flag burning rhetoric pop up on facebook. I could fill several pages of this thread with it. Most of it is the bog standard "The flag is too sacred", "If you hate america then just leave", or (my favorite) "Won't someone please think of the poor veterans whose feelings will be hurt by a burning flag".

But interspersed through those is the occasional "If I see anyone burning a flag, I'll kick their rear end!" post. Threatening violent bodily harm against someone who has done nothing wrong is great...right? But this right here just takes the cake:

This man literally wants to murder those who burn his precious flag.

These are usually the same people who post:

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Olanphonia posted:

lmao, if you read the actual history of the process by which the Bill of Rights was written, they struck off a whole bunch of other amendments before settling on the 10 we ended up with. Guns wasn't even close to second initially.

I don't know, the fact that it apparently beat a bunch of contending potential amendments does suggest it was somewhat important to them.

What are some of the things they struck off, anyway?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

It depends on the game, some hand out achievements for making it past the title screen.

Or the first two achievements.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgq1soz9nmU&t=40s

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Duke Igthorn posted:

Because they never, ever thought about what the issue actually is. It's framed as "men using the women's room" and, by god, that means big ol' stubbly lumberjacks, or tiny waisted faggy guys, sneaking into the women's bathroom to masturbate. That's why you have those stories of men following women into the women's room because they "looked like men", instead of, you know, whatever-the-PC-term-is-that-won't-get-me-yelled-at-despite-the-fact-that-I'm-on-your-side-seriously-people-pick-your-battles who look exactly like their sex so you would only notice if they DID use the bathroom of their birth and probably get beaten for THAT.

I like to post a work-safe picture of Buck Angel and say, "So what I'm hearing is you don't want someone who looks like this in a woman's restroom?"

And they inevitably reply "EXACTLY! SO GROSS!"

At which point I can point out that Buck has a vagina and would be forced to use the women's restroom if that person had their way.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

negromancer posted:

That's actually exactly what happened in my high school. And then we all got sent home at like 11:30 I want to say, maybe 12. I remember that a lot of parents were calling the school freaking the gently caress out and coming to pick up other students.

I didn't get emotional at all, actually, but that may have more to do with me walking through ground zero every day and associating the place with a tourist attraction.

It's the war memorials that get me.

My high school put the tvs on and left them on, but muted, all day while the teachers tried to instruct over it. We didn't go home early but no one got anything done despite the teachers' best efforts.

My friend's dad was supposed to be at the WTC that day and no one could get ahold of him. (He was completely fine, he was a very lucky man.) Her mom didn't pick her up because she thought the school wouldn't tell the students about it and that way she'd be able to break it to her daughter when there was more information.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Defenestration posted:

by arresting them all? Swiftly? And charging them with crimes?

I am amazed by the restraint it took to not claim they were BLM supporters in the title.

I don't think the victim was an avid Trump supporter, though.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

RagnarokAngel posted:

Seems legit thanks George Carlin.

Whole Foods was selling apricot kernels as a health food, despite the fact that just 2-3 can have unsafe levels of a precursor to cyanide for a healthy adult. They advertised it as a superfood.

People really just want the freedom to poison themselves in peace.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

darthbob88 posted:

You mean cancer-curing levels of vitamin B17.

Can't have cancer if you're dead! :eng101:

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Defenestration posted:

yeah my favorite response to this nonsense is that bleach kills cancer too

So YOU'RE the one responsible for MMS.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I live with someone who has fibro, and as far as I can tell, it's a weird manifestation of depression or anxiety.

Things that work well for depression or anxiety help with fibro, but good luck getting someone to exercise when it feels like someone is stabbing them.

It shouldn't be surprising that someone finds that moon herb tea helps, they could probably substitute in lipton and have the same effect.

It responds to depression meds and counseling as well. Sadly, the people I know with fibro take "Its a psychosomatic manifestation of depression" to mean "You think its fake and in my head!" and don't seek treatment.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

the_steve posted:

Does anyone have that text about how "John Q. Conservative wakes up every day, drives past a hundred examples of government programs that exist to improve his life, and then goes on the internet to complain about how he's never needed any help in his life"?
Might not be the one you are thinking of, but...

This morning I was awoken by my alarm clock powered by electricity generated by the public power monopoly regulated by the US department of energy. I then took a shower in the clean water provided by the municipal water utility.

After that, I turned on the TV to one of the FCC regulated channels to see what the national weather service of the national oceanographic and atmospheric administration determined the weather was going to be like using satellites designed, built, and launched by the national aeronautics and space administration.

I watched this while eating my breakfast of US department of agriculture inspected food and taking the drugs which have been determined as safe by the food and drug administration.

At the appropriate time as regulated by the US congress and kept accurate by the national institute of standards and technology and the US naval observatory, I get into my national highway traffic safety administration approved automobile and set out to work on the roads build by the local, state, and federal departments of transportation, possibly stopping to purchase additional fuel of a quality level determined by the environmental protection agency, using legal tender issued by the federal reserve bank. On the way out the door I deposit any mail I have to be sent out via the US postal service and drop the kids off at the public school.

After spending another day not being maimed or killed at work thanks to the workplace regulations imposed by the department of labor and the occupational safety and health administration, enjoying another two meals which again do not kill me because of the USDA, I drive my NHTSA car back home on the DOT roads, to my house which has not burned down in my absence because of the state and local building codes and fire marshal’s inspection, and which has not been plundered of all its valuables thanks to the local police department.

I then log on to the internet which was developed by the defense advanced research projects administration and post on freerepublic.com and fox news forums about how SOCIALISM in medicine is BAD because the government can’t do anything right.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Keeshhound posted:

I might be more amenable to this plan if it didn't require that I jump into that hell with them.

You guys are acting like liberals are voluntarily jumping into hell to spite Trump supporters.

Everyone is hosed and there's no getting out of it. Liberals are just finding the silver lining.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

This is clearly from a more innocent time. Mysterious package on the doorstep? Stranger wants to come into your house uninvited late at night? Leave your wife alone to let said stranger in? Why not?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

sirtommygunn posted:

Yeah I'm sure libertarians were making an honest attempt at the presidency when they had a male stripper collect the votes to decide who the candidate would be and then campaigned entirely through memes.

e: suddenly very unsure the first thing happened, I feel I may have been duped by one of my friends. If I'm wrong please call me a dumbass as that is what I am tyvm.

The stripper was running for party chair at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVKDbpYQTa0

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Ashcans posted:

Here is an article about a woman who left her kids in the car for a few minutes, and ended up pleading to a charge a year later; which I think is useful to demonstrate how draining the process can be. I actually think she made a mistake here, but what she ended up dealing with was grossly out of proportion.

Thing is, people passing in the parking lot don't know its 'only a few minutes.' Should they wait until the kid is obviously in medical distress (when its much harder to keep them alive) to intervene? She did something stupid that very well could have killed her children.

Its like driving drunk. Its so loving easy to not leave your children unattended in a car where they can die in a very short period of time. Bring them with you. Yes, it might be a slight inconvenience. You might have to deal with a tantrum. That's part of parenting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

VitalSigns posted:

Lol. I like the gaslighting thrown in there: it's the other passengers' fault for not volunteering.

And if you hadn't burned the roast, you wouldn't have got hit, Alice.

Gaslighting is when you are manipulating the victim to make them question their own sanity. This isn't gaslighting, it's just being a dick.

Edit: vvvvvv Oh, absolutely.

Dienes fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Apr 15, 2017