Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

Looking for some URANIUM? CLICK HERE

amateur economist posted:

SA should try writing it's own chain email that's just plausible enough to seem realistic, and then see how long it takes to hit our inboxes or be the subject of commentary on Glenn Beck

God, no, don't make the world stupider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

quote:

...healthcare is a luxury and not a right...
:unsmigghh:

And greedy CEO's wouldn't live in a world with no push one for english, as there'd be no one to do their landscaping.

Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

Orange Devil posted:

The myth of America.

They love a fairy tale people tell their children.

"We" beat Hitler.
"We" have a lot of money.
"We" have the biggest economy in the world.
"We" have a giant army.

The single biggest Republican goal for government is vicarious manliness.

Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

Amused to Death posted:

Brilliant. Mind if I steal it to post around?

That's not really a matching response, though. It's not like people were fighting WW2 because they weren't demanding higher wages. They were fighting WW2 because WW2 was happening.

It's like the "donner party conservative" thing. You're effectively asking for the world to be worse so you can see people be defined in contrast to it.

Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

They would feel humiliated/emasculated to live on a dole, and think that feeling is so profound that they want to use a emotionally powerful word to refer to it. They hate people who are on welfare because they would hate themselves if they were on welfare.

Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

Wapole Languray posted:

Yeah, this whole debate seems to be between people who don't actually get what they're arguing for/against. The "Free Will vs Causality" debate isn't two extremes of God-Man who shapes reality with his iron will vs. BEEP BOOP I AM A ROBOT.

I always get the impression that free will arguments on the internet are mostly based on people thinking 'free' and 'will' sound like good words and things they would like to have.

Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

Centripetal Horse posted:

"Taxation is theft."

"Capital punishment is murder."

"Land ownership is imprisonment."

Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

Cons
- If vaccines were made up for a movie, they would turn out to be evil.

Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

What, what did Malcolm Gladwell do?

Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Yeah these are the actual confederate flags.

The one people know today was specifically rejected as the national flag

Well, that explains why people use the one they do, the graphic design on those other flags is bad.

Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

Aeka 2.0 posted:

One of my wife's friends posts two thing on Facebook: pictures of her daughter, or poo poo from Life News or whatever. I've ignored it, but then she posted this one:

http://www.theblaze.com/contributions/there-is-nothing-brave-about-suicide/

It was a long time coming, but I had to unfriend.

quote:

but we do not own ourselves

Christ, what an rear end in a top hat.

Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

Verisimilidude posted:

Does anyone else follow comment sections as often as I do? Every article I feel is discussing something that can be construed as "social justice", I jump right to the comments first and I am never surprised to find a bunch of people complaining about how the topic is handled poorly or how the writers/publication in question need to stop pushing a "SJW-agenda". That term (SJW) gets thrown around a lot, to the point where its lost all meaning, and there seems to be a really massive pushback against anything talking about inequality/privilege/racism/sexism/you name it.

Around when did this start happening? When did it become uncool to talk about inequality? Were people initially against these concepts quiet until a larger voice started speaking out against them? The pushback seems to be against some invisible, completely ineffective, yet insanely powerful "TUMBLR" crowd that I'm sure most people have never even interacted with (outside of image macros and select comments), considering the strawman TUMBLR feminist is just that.

You're posting in a thread whose sole purpose is to intentionally make yourself angry. Does it really surprise you other people do the same thing?

Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That's basically like...the entire point of debating and discussing, isn't it?

No, the point is to go out of your way to find people who are wrong and bask in their inferiority. Then you subtly convince yourself that they are far more common than they are, and become sullen and pessimistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

It's sort of like people who are genuinely angry about pluto. You don't have to feel bad if you forget a bunch of stuff you learned in middle or high school, but they really don't what stuff they learned in elementary school taken away from them.

We teach arithmetic so you can understand higher math later. If it was about what-if-you-don't-have-a-calculator-someday, we wouldn't care, and it would be dying out like cursive lessons.