Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Are people really forwarding/Facebook posting that email without even updating the year counts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Fulchrum posted:

Essay about gun control.

This is so wrong it's farcical. For the US to be 3rd in the world in murder rates it'd need to have 57 murders per 100,000 population, or 180,710 murders a year.

For the US minus Chicago, Detroit, DC and NO to be 4th from bottom in the world in murder rates it'd need 0.3 murders per 100,000 population, or 889 murders a year.

So in those 4 metros you're looking at 179,821 murders a year, out of a population of 20,624,787. That's 0.9% of the population murdered each year, at a rate of one every 3 minutes.

e: numbers taken from here

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Chimera-gui posted:

I got two idiotic emails today, here's the first:

Republicans using their brains in such ways as using "whom" when they mean "who".

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Neruz posted:

It's all word salad.

I think it's half "drat lie-berals posting on their Twitters will never get anything done" and half "Obummer stop being such a pussy and let's go kill us some Ay-rabs". Ignoring the fact that a) the ALS ice bucket challenge has just recently become absolutely huge because of social media's influence and b) it's not exactly a matter of sending some SEALs over and shooting anyone in an ISIS t-shirt.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
When a white, middle-aged Republican poses for photos with a gun they're a "patriot" and a "real American" exercising their Second Amendment rights. When a young black man does the same, he's a "violent thug" and a "gangsta wannabe". The level of double standards is just amazing.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
If you ever want to kill some time (and end up hating people) search on Twitter for "I'm not racist but".

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Also I'm pretty sure a shotgun isn't going to do gently caress all against an eagle high in the air.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Tell that to the Conservative Party.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Anyone who believes that people on welfare have "no financial worries" is so out of touch with reality that they should be taken out and shot.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Well, the other options are a) do loving nothing, which won't change anything, and b) invade, which we've seen work so loving well over the last 15 years or so.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Today I spent my lunch hour listening to a group of 60-something men discuss how we'd be better off if the country was run like in Logan's Run, without noticing the apparent irony.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Coffee And Pie posted:

I got to hear my dad complaining today that he can't go back to Yankee Stadium anymore because concealed carry is forbidden. It's like, just don't have a gun for a day, you'll be fine. I never carry a gun, I do pretty well for myself.

What could you possibly need a gun at a baseball stadium for? Unless he really really hates the wave.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
"Hitler said it, therefore it must be bad" is just terrible logic even by right-wingers' standards.

This is of course assuming that Hitler did actually say it, because at least half the quotes I see on macros like this are just made up to get the point across.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I used to play (field) hockey on astroturf and I'm pretty sure I'd rather have sex on the pickup bed itself than on that poo poo.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Fulchrum posted:

There isn't a gently caress you big enough.

Anyone remember that loving terrible cartoon about transgenders in bathrooms from a couple pages ago?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Meepo posted:

This came across my Facebook today, and the comments are the most ridiculous combination of keyboard toughguys mixed with blatant racism.

If there are countries where you'd be shot for this (and there's no loving way it's most of them) then it's places like Iran, North Korea, Zimbabwe, Libya, Somalia - definitely countries we should be trying to emulate.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Remember how they were pushing Scott Walker crazy hard a few weeks ago? That bandwagon sure broke down fast.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I'd say they saw sense, but since then they seem to have switched to Ted Cruz, soooo........

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Anyone else eagerly waiting for a deluge of "Obama said friend of the family, he's the real racist" posts? No, me neither :sigh:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
And I reckon MLK's stance on guns might be a little different if you could ask him about it today.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Latinos also tend to be much more religious which goes hand-in-hand with conservatism.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Mo_Steel posted:

Originally fifth, behind the proposed second article: "No law varying the compensation to the members of Congress, shall take effect, until an election of Representatives shall have intervened."

Also, suck it Due Process and Trial by Jury, you unimportant piece of poo poo amendments.

It's so important, in fact, that it was left out of the original Constitution entirely and had to be added in later.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I'm sure they'll start applying "a job is a job" to soldiers and the police any time now.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I guarantee no one in the Russian government refers to Putin by his first name.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

The Macaroni posted:

Okay, fine, Hilary is not a conventionally pretty young woman. The worst thing is that if she were, the very same people playing the "Ewww, Hilary so ugly!" card would immediately turn around and say "She's a shallow airhead model, no substance like the stately femininity of the elder Bush women!" :sigh:

Also the same group who were shouting "how dare Obama attack Palin for her appearance" back in 2008.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Forceholy posted:

That's one thing that bothers me about beauty standards on the internet. Whenever a pretty black lady is shown on the internet, her beauty is always dismissed as her having "white features" or she's declared not pretty at all due to her being black, as if white people have a monopoly on looking good.

It's not just beauty standards either. A well-dressed black person will be accused of "dressing white" and a well-spoken one of "talking white". Because the only way a black person can achieve anything is by trying to be less black.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I give it 3 days before they're saying "this black guy shot and killed two white people, why is no-one going on marches now huh?"

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
It's almost as if whether you're a feminist or not is defined by what you believe, say and do, rather than the clothes you wear or what you look like.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I'm assuming they think that liberals would be outraged in that scenario, but actually most liberals I've ever met tend to believe in the rule of law, so...

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Duke Igthorn posted:

Rod Serling was a god damned American hero that would have snapped the loving neck of the person who used him in this trash

Ask them why they haven't quit their job and renounced their citizenship yet.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Soonmot posted:

So this just popped up on my feed. Wouldn't that just be a handicapped space?

Not usable by John Kerry.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
You'd certainly need to give them all full psychiatric screening first. The last thing you want is Private Jeff, who did two tours in Iraq, hearing a door slam and suddenly having flashbacks to Fallujah.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

borkencode posted:

That was me.

Yeah, whether you use separate Amazon accounts or not, ordering 80 deliveries of ammonium nitrate all to the same address is gonna raise some red flags.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

I'm trying to figure out what that would sound like using IPA characters, and it's loving weird.

It's like (R-r-r)aayoo-Sseesst or something as far as I can make out.

My favourite thing is that there's only one language that pronounces "rey" as "ray" and it ain't English.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Defenestration posted:

this is old news but obuma is getting worse hang him deport his supporters their hatered for America is evident Greed is their god
In God we Trust
I know there are some of you that are Democrats and love Obama, but
this is for Christians first, politics later. I do pray that it
doesn't offend anybody with the truth of the message, but it has to be
sent. If you love your Lord first and your politics later, then you
will appreciate this message. If you don't, I'm sorry I judged you wrong.
When we get 100,000,000, that's one hundred million willing Christians
to BOND together, voice their concerns and vote, we can take back
America with God's help, Become one of the one hundred million... Then
let's get 200 million. It can be done by sending this email to your
friends. Do the math.
It only takes a willing heart and a fed up soul. God Bless America and
Shine your light on Her..
In 1952
President Truman
Established one day a year as a
"National Day of Prayer."
----------------------------------------------------------------------
In 1988
President Reagan
Designated the
First Thursday in May of each year as
The National Day of Prayer.
-----------------------------------------------
In June 2007
(then)
Presidential Candidate Barack Obama
Declared that the USA
"Was no longer a Christian nation."
---------------------------------------------------------------
This year
President Obama
Canceled the
21st Annual National Day
Of Prayer Ceremony
At the White House under the ruse
Of "not wanting to offend anyone"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
BUT... On September 25, 2009
From 4 AM until 7 PM,
A National Day of Prayer
FOR THE MUSLIM RELIGION
Was Held on Capitol Hill,
beside the White House.
There were over 50,000 Muslims
In D.C. that day.
HE PRAYS WITH THE MUSLIMS!
I guess it doesn't matter if "Christians"
Are offended by this event -
We obviously
Don't count as "anyone" anymore.
The direction this country is headed
Should strike fear in the heart of every Christian,
Especially knowing that the Muslim religion
believes that if Christians cannot be converted,
they should be annihilated.

This is only for Christians and those who love the Lord and put him above politics but also let's hang Obama.

Also, deport his supporters? How are they going to kick 65 million people out of the country, and who's going to pay for it?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

The ones who didn't survive aren't currently reposting stupid Facebook memes.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Jabarto posted:

It might be too late for that, Sven just said this to me:

He's clearly never worked in any kind of food or catering business. Since a) he clearly believes that someone sitting in an office that happens to be on a military base is working harder than a server or a bartender or a short-order cook (all of which can be tough and incredibly stressful jobs) and b) any business in that sector that has labour as its #1 expenditure is shittily-run and has bigger problems to deal with than a few dollars an hour wage rise.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Good luck getting anyone to see that as anything other than evidence of a huge mainstream media cover-up.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Nyarai posted:

Hey, so I have a friend who seems to have run afoul of the the right-wing propaganda machine. He's a nice guy. Just very afraid. Could people help me debunk some of his other concerns? Thanks. :)

I managed to counter the point about 'Russia is the only one fighting ISIL now' thanks to this thread. That last line is straight from gatesofvienna.net, which smells like a right-wing conspiracy nutter blog, but I'm having a hard time proving that solidly.

To be honest I think he might be too far gone to help. Once people start spouting conspiracy theories about Soros et al I usually give up and put them on ignore.

If you want to keep fighting I'd try and get some info together on Stockholm, and how it's a modern and vibrant city mainly known for its lack of mortar attacks, mass killings, general barbarity etc. He'll probably claim that any mainstream media sources are biased, but a few Stockholm-based blogs might do something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

DemeaninDemon posted:

Yeah totally realistic.

My point is if you're gonna use the restroom as a transwoman then sit down. Transmen can sit down and ghostpoop.

Who the gently caress is checking under restroom stall doors to see which way someone's feet are pointing?