Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Reichstag posted:

Good New Yorker article on The Americans: http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/09/14/090914fa_fact_lane
That was a great read, ta.

quote:

“What are you doing here?”
“I have a Guggenheim scholarship.”
“Who’s Guggenheim?”
Oh Arkansas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Dun-dun-DUUUNN

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Fragrag posted:

That's just neat.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It's all in the tags:
Manchester, shot on a Hassy 500C/M, 80mm, Ilford FP4

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

1 & 2 are loving amazing. The cross-processing does nothing for me, but #1 especially just feels right: the comp's great, the lead-in via the road marking is effective, etc. I'd love some more details in the clothes of the subject, but welp.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Shoot from the hip, or raise the camera when you see the shot.
Alternatively, stop giving a poo poo :)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Just to be clear: it doesn't mean you have to start acting like a grade A rear end in a top hat. Be polite, be firm, be on your way.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

No. 9 posted:

Again, before anyone jumps on me, I understand he was in the legal clear. I'm just saying it's part of taking these kind of photos to deal with people more than you would in taking landscapes or something like that. I get the impression he could have handled that a bit better.
Watch Bruce Gilden at work, you'll be amazed.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The follow-up is hilarious too. Instead of having any kind of debate, let's just threaten the gently caress out of anyvbody involved.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

F8! 50 MILLIMETERS! DIE DIE DIE DIE

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Seriously?
Seems kinda busy-busy to me yeah, and it's like that in all the shots I've seen.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That's not what I meant. Yes the bokeh's busy, but I quite like some of the photograph (Grandma+kid being my favorite). And in most pictures the OOF areas aren't even distracting.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

dunno posted:

This poo poo's dope yo.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I like 'em. There's some sloppy exposure comp on the last one (the coat).

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Schofferhofer posted:

I really wish I didn't live in such a bogan town. Last time I went out street shooting someone threw a milkshake at my camera. Someone with a mullet wearing a stolen tracksuit.
That's what charges are for?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

fronkpies posted:

"Excuse me good sir would you mind just waiting while I call the police? I do believe you have just thrown a milkshake at my head"
Snap a pic of him or his plates, jesus.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Anmitzcuaca posted:

it's not street unless you use a Leica with a 35mm lens
50!

But yeah rangefinders are nice and small, and they barely make any noise.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I've found any overtly weird camera basically exempts you from the "being approached by random assholes" clause of street photography. TLR, press camera, whatever.
Yeah. Hassy 500 with a prism finder doesn't, though :smith:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Pompous Rhombus posted:

The shutters on those things are surprisingly loud, aren't they? A WLF would help, I think the Kiev one should fit a Hassy, right? Those things are so goddamn expensive for a foldy piece of metal.
The shutter sound is kinda loud and also very particular (more of a long pop than a click), but the problem is more the massive black and chrome contraption in front of your face. It makes people curious (which can be nice).
The one trick to not getting in trouble that works all day everyday is shooting with my hot friend. Lots of people talk to us but no one bothers us.
Wtb boobs and long curly hair :unsmith:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

some stuff from Budapest

Baller lady

Under the street counts as street rite?

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 30, 2011

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Is your new lens really that soft? Also, LoCA's aplenty, ouch.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Sweden just got a new privacy law. Of course someone had to go and gently caress with it immediately.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Scabrous Teat posted:

Sounds like a cool time and not creepy at all.
It's what you shoot not how you shoot it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Haha I used to live there and commute through that station every day.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

street indeed :radcat:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It is a horrible idea.

Sludge Tank posted:

I'm just telling it like it is. These girls are pretty smashed up.
Aaaaand now you're just horrible period.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That last one is cool.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Your original is fine. Skin is off, and both green and red are still oversaturated in the newest edit.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

try it with a lime posted:

People's reactions for the most part are pretty reflexive to your body language. If you act like what you're doing is what you're supposed to be doing, most people won't think anything of it. You will run into resistance from time to time, it's just something you have to live with.
Social engineering 101. And you'll get out of 99% of people reacting badly by being exquisitely pleasant.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

VendaGoat posted:

Nothing in art is about perfection. That's for the realm of engineering.
Eeeeeh.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

dunos posted:

The security guard was actually in the process of trying to tell me that I wasn't allowed to take a photo of him.
That never gets old

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I've been to his traveling exhibit and there was a doc showing on loop there that made it extremely obvious most of his photographs we arranged just so.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ansel autisms posted:

this is perfect, actually. you can just feel the photographer's gaze walking through an unfamiliar environment, clutching their camera bag close, turning a corner and SHOCK - it's a poor!!! dip your head back around the wall margaret, this place is not for us
You own

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Bit creepy tbh

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It'd be nice to not ID people who can suffer professional damage from attending protests like this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Viginti Septem posted:

It's a public protest?
brah. Inform yourself.

Another Person posted:

It is a public march, through a major city high street with god knows how many CCTV cameras, which remained fully civil, and had by my count 11 other photographers. I have been through the work of at least 7 of them, they also posted whatever they got. There were about 16 police officers posted on the march too. There were also regular adults, mothers and children. This is not photography of direct action, but just a standard march on another week in a city. The police were even notified in advance, and effectively stewarded the pathway the march took.

If it were direct action where the distinction between private individual and public action were blurred, or if it lost civility, I would act responsibly by discarding any photographs I took of the march. This did not happen, however.
it's nice that you at least did some due diligence. If the peeps you shoot are legit consenting adults, go wild.

I've just seen waaaaay too many people charged/talked to/fired on bullshit grounds simply for holding signs, with zero violence or property damage involved.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 3, 2024