Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

snowman posted:

I find it especially frustrating when you're at the right place at the wrong time. A lot of places become really interesting in the right lighting/weather conditions, and a lot of that is up to chance. For my more elaborate images I try to find locations, scout out where I will take pictures from, then go back when the time is right and get the shot.

During Semana Santa in Spain, I'd have done absolutely no research at all as I only realized it was the Holy Week when I was on the plane. So cue me going to Toledo during the day only to discover all the events were in the evening.
Waiting for 6 hours suck. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Mannequin posted:

photography reality show

I admit it, I watched lots of "Next Top Fashion Model" just to see how the photographers go about it. :(

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

Mannequin posted:

Yes. I'm ashamed to admit I watched Make Me a Supermodel just to see what that Perou guy would photograph. They actually mixed up the photographers quite a bit and there was a fairly decent amount of focus on that considering it was a show about models.

I remember one cringe-worthy occasion. The models were in a absolutely fabulous hotel, swimming pool, sun, palm trees... But for the photo shoot the photographer set up an impromptu studio and shot ordinary white background photos.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
haryo.sukmawanto AT googlewave.com

Just got it 10 minutes ago

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

Nondo posted:

Allow me to apologize in advance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_H8TOKcfjg

Someone beated you

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

Mannequin posted:

Picture This

Surprisingly interesting. I remember complaining to my girlfriend about how I'd love to watch a photography reality show similar to Project Runway, where the contestants are all already skilled.
I guess my wish came true because I'm actually enjoying this. There's also some sort of satisfaction in watching this and thinking "I can do this too.."

EDIT:
I just watched the first episode and they didn't kick Aron out. :( At least Ed's still on. His quip about him not reading fashion magazines actually did make me laugh.

Fragrag fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 12, 2009

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
It's like the kid's followed up on the tips from many photographers to take as many pictures of the situation as possible. Unfortunately looks like he didn't listen to them say the situation had to be interesting or that you had to make a selection afterwards.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
Guess who I met and listened to for several hours at his house?

Magnum photographer Carl De Keyzer

He was very talkative, managing to answer most of our questions by introducing himself and his work. He elaborated on how he started off, how he makes his living etc etc...
He also absolutely loves electronic music. The first thing you notice when you enter his atelier aren't the cameras because they aren't there, you notice this absolutely huge analogue synthesizer.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

Fragrag posted:

Guess who I met and listened to for several hours at his house?

Magnum photographer Carl De Keyzer

He was very talkative, managing to answer most of our questions by introducing himself and his work. He elaborated on how he started off, how he makes his living etc etc...
He also absolutely loves electronic music. The first thing you notice when you enter his atelier aren't the cameras because they aren't there, you notice this absolutely huge analogue synthesizer.

Quoting myself because the last post on a page generally doesn't receive much attention. If anyone has any questions regarding him, documentary photography or Magnum, I'll try my best to answer it.

EDIT: I'm actually going to sleep now though, so I'll only be able to answer them tomorrow, sorry!

Fragrag fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 7, 2010

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

trueblue posted:

This video is great:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js7RzcdDcMs

a wedding photographer uses a Digital Rebel with kit lens, doesn't know what aperture is, and prints her wedding photos at Walmart. Judge Joe Brown manages to name-drop his pelican case and tells the photog she should be using a 1-series Canon with 28-70L lens.

Check out the reaction of the woman to the right in the background at 3:43. It's the moment she realises the defendant is an amateur. You could tell Brown's been doing photography for some time, he still refers to that lens as the 28-70 when it has already been upgraded for a quite long time. :D

I just noticed the defendants contradicted themselves. Early on, one said they've done hundreds and later the other said this was their first wedding show.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
I have no idea what's going on and I'm laughing my rear end off.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
^^^^^^
:gonk:
Don't they use strong infrared lights in the military when they want to illuminate an area without alerting enemy combatants without NVGs?

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

squidflakes posted:

Oh, and whoever said that woot fatigue does good HDR... man... there really should be a different term for what woot does that separates it from the average shithead who takes three pictures and presses the HDR button in some program.

I only used HDR for a lack of better word. v :) v

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
Sounds like my Photo History exam in several hours, the 'not getting ready part' to be precise. :ohdear:

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
That first segment is the reason one should always have a lens hood on if you have one. Also, I used to have the same headwear but he somehow pulls it off better than I do :(

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Judging from my own fairly limited sample pool, the photo department at my art school/workplace is usually like 90% female students to 10% male.

However, the entire photo faculty is men.

At my school we have roughly 40% guys, 60% girls. I can't talk about the whole photo faculty, but my current teachers are 4 women and 2 guys.

And thanks for the Stephen Shore presentation whoever posted it and I can't be arsed to look for the person. Watching it now.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

m4mbo posted:

Does anyone know the photographer who did a typology of lots of different types of people? A sort of dictionary of style.
They were loads of pictures, shot on a white background I think and the people were divided into cliques like punks and skaters.

Don't know about a modern take on it, but Auguste Sander did this for the German people during the first half of the 20th century. Very important historical document and important inspiration for the Becher couple.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

xzzy posted:

I can appreciate the whole "wanna document history" mindset for embedded journalists, but I gotta say, if an area is so dangerous that you have to hide a camera under your arm to avoid being shot at, perhaps it's time to rethink priorities.

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2011/03/afghanistan-in-panorama-march-2011/100036/

That said, the shots he got are pretty cool. I think this means there's a market for super wide sensors that can take shots like this without having to pan. :colbert:

I'd want to tell you more, but I'm in a hurry. Check out Carl De Keyzer's series Trinity, where he worked exclusively with a panorama camera.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
Looks really, Hollywood. I don't know, I've seen the same conflict covered shortly in War Photographer and I doubt anything else will have the same impact. Also, the Bang Bang Club is such an undocumented group of photographers I'm glad something's finally done about them. By the way, I wonder who will play the James Nachtwey cameo. He was there when Ken Oosterbroek died

EDIT: And holy poo poo, Joao Silva actually lost both of his legs recently in Afghanistan. I haven't heard that yet. :(

Fragrag fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 4, 2011

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

I don't know what compelled me to do this

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

Mathturbator posted:

A friend of mine works at Hasselblad. I got a private tour of the facilities and got to play around with their cameras and lenses, and their stuff makes my Canon seem like an outdated toy. They really put out an insane amount of detail. The user interface seems kind of rough though, guess that comes with being a specialized device.

To illustrate, they put up this to show how much detail you can get: Link

My teacher spent the better part of a morning explaining EVERY BUTTON there is on a Hasselblad. It took him like half an hour to explain how you load a film in. :suicide:

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

Tincans posted:

You wouldn't believe the amount of times my fellow students came out with blank 120 film because they had forgotten to take out the dark-slide.

I think they've made the Hasselblad more idiot-proof because you can't even take a picture anymore with the dark-slide still slotted in with ours.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
From the PYF .gif thread, illustrating the difference between focal lengths.

MrBigglesworth posted:

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

Mr. Despair posted:

Last time I went through O'hare there was someone waiting to question me about my bag.

She just wanted to ask me want kind of telephoto I was carrying because she was looking to get one herself in the future, but she lost interest once I said I shot Nikon, haha (she didn't pull me off to the side or anything, just chit chatted while I was putting my shoes back on and whatnot).

I had to think of Bill Bailey's experience in Schiphol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uTDzsTZNFY

guidoanselmi posted:

35' large format camera for portraits across the country:

https://vimeo.com/34571640

http://www.gizmag.com/35-foot-camera-vanishing-cultures/21178/

I really want to like this project, but so far the two videos I've seen have had this boring corporate feeling to them. I know it's aimed at attracting sponsors but it just feels so passionless. A modern-day In The American West will be pretty cool though.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

Ok, what the gently caress is this?

Somebody fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jun 1, 2012

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

Krelas posted:

Yeah, I picked up a 13" MBP about 4 months before I started really getting into photography. Definitely going 15" next time, and getting the retina display to boot.

Is there a decent Windows alternative to the Macbook Pros? I was planning to buy a MBP for photo editing but if I can find something cheaper I'd be happy.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
Cheers guys, when looking for a laptop, what should my main concern be? I'm working with a Canon 7D so my RAWs are quite sizable. Just a decent amount of RAM and maybe an SSD?

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

whereismyshoe posted:

has anyone ever taken the guts out of a digital SLR and put them into an old film camera? i feel like it must have been done somewhere at some point.

I think but it's from eons ago, but someone took out the back of an old SLR and mounted it on a DSLR. It was a horrible Frankenstein contraption but it worked somehow. Can't come up with a link though.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
I want to clean up my online presence a bit and decided to start a site to serve as my portfolio. I want something like these sites: https://www.charlottelybeer.be/ and https://www.stinesampers.com/, which seem to share a common theme and are really no-nonsense, but I have absolutely no experience in HTML editing.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
Wow, forgot about that thread. Alright, thanks!

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
Hey LA goons, apparently Paris Photo will host an event in Los Angeles as well!
http://losangeles.parisphoto.com/?lg=en

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

Dread Head posted:

Reminds me of this video I saw the other day:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IoJ9hQj37M&t=9s
Guy has a helmet with a flash mounted on the top.

And there's a flash on his camera as well! I don't get it. :confused:

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Really not seeing what was so controversial but I appreciate your "I get photography more than you" incredulous wankery.

Pretty much this.

There's no reason it can't be artistically competent and culturally important at the same time and I think it's silly to say that it doesn't matter.

For specific examples, go to Reuters best of 2012 and look at the Korean pool photo which is pretty much technically terrible, then look at the photo of the man being dragged through the streets which is "if I spend too much time on these photos I could literally be killed" and so the technical aspects are largely irrelevant, and then look at the photo of the two hunters with bows framed around a helicopter at dawn/dusk and appreciate that it tells an important story while also being a really interesting photo in itself.

I just want to butt in and use this discussion as an excuse to post some Luc Delahaye. His pictures often have the immediacy of typical photojournalist pictures, capturing the decisive moment. At the same time, he frames it almost like a tableau, more similar to Jeff Wall.

Ambush, Ramadi, 22 July 2006, Ramadi, Iraq,

Fragrag fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 11, 2012

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
That second to last picture, I actually wouldn't be surprised if that picture was actually shot recently

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I came here to post about how this add had way too much gratuitous use of the clarity slider, but after watching it a second time it's much better than I remember so I'll post it as a really good example of photographs being used in a relatively unconventional way:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sillEgUHGC4

That ad is so over the top :911:, I just can't take it too seriously.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

KidDynamite posted:

Hey guys remember that Intro class with Skolgund that I was scared of being forced to shoot her style?

Well turns out it's really loving basic and what they meant by must have digital camera is a $50 p&s. There are people in the class that can't open a file in loving photoshop. This is my hell but at least it's an easy A I guess. Would have much rather what I was afraid of happening.

First project was shoot a portrait with both your hands and feet in it. We've been working on 3 prints for these for 3 weeks.... This can't be it.

How the hell is Sandy Skoglund teaching that class? I guess it's easy money, but she's way too overqualified for that stuff.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

Did my job, blogged you on tumblr. Of course, mainly because I think that's a kick-rear end image. Nice job!

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

thetzar posted:

So I'm wondering if anyone can help me find a photographer whose name I can't remember. He did a series of portraits in the back of what I believe was a truck. The roll door of the truck was open, so you could see the landscape outside, with the subject just inside. The photographer shot wide enough that you saw not just the scenery around the truck, but the inside of the truck as well, including the lights all set up; it was a very cool framing device. Any idea who this was?

Hmm, I'm pretty sure you would have remembered it was set in Iraq, but by any chance is it Ben Lowy's pictures of Iraq?

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
How much heat does a studio flash give off? I'm trying to recreate an underwater environment and the best way to get it seems to put your hand about a foot in front of the flash. I've only tried it out with the pilot light and I just want to make sure I'm not doing something ridiculously stupid. (FYI, it's an Elinchrom Style RX600 at 3.0 power.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
Yeah, I couldn't get the effect I wanted so I'll try again next week. I'll try the waterbag effect then!

spog posted:

That gives off 600 joules per second at full power, for 1/2000th of a second:

So, 600/2000 = the energy of 2 slices of apply falling one metre = bugger all heat.

Thanks! I was pretty sure it didn't give off much heat, but then again, I didn't want to singe off my hair on my hand in order to find out.